Right way to redraw districts - Sentinel & Enterprise

Full story: Sentinel & Enterprise

The release of the 2010 Census data brought the disappointing news that Massachusetts will lose a U.S. House seat in 2012.
Comments
1 - 20 of 20 Comments Last updated Jan 26, 2011
3 time loser

Acton, MA

#1 Jan 24, 2011
Hey Sentinel-
Kurt ran twice against Rep. Benson and lost. And he lost in his race for congress. Since he as lost as a republican and independent, maybe he will try it again as a democrat. And since when does this guy care about the women league of voters? He blew off both of their debates during the election. Please...give it a rest.
Amy B

Acton, MA

#2 Jan 24, 2011
3 time loser wrote:
Hey Sentinel-
Kurt ran twice against Rep. Benson and lost. And he lost in his race for congress. Since he as lost as a republican and independent, maybe he will try it again as a democrat. And since when does this guy care about the women league of voters? He blew off both of their debates during the election. Please...give it a rest.
I think he has a valid point, why do you always see the evil in anything he does?
Sounds fair

Acton, MA

#3 Jan 24, 2011
This idea makes a lot of sense if one can look at it objectively as the best way to serve voters rather than D's vs R's. Doesn't seem self-serving by Hayes, since how would a district with Boxborough and ALL of Acton help him or any other R?
Actonian

Acton, MA

#4 Jan 24, 2011
The sentiment expressed by "3 time loser" sounds like someone in favor of a one-steamroller-party state that tramples on towns like Chelmsford and rules over the state for the most part by decree.
Peter

Bedford, MA

#5 Jan 24, 2011
Kurt makes good points and has a sensible plan.

Which, unfortunately, is why the MA State House will ignore it all and draw up whatever oddly shaped districts will continue to guarantee that the Democrats retain their control.

Remember that this is the same State House that voted to take away the power of the Governor to appoint a replacement Senator when Romney (R) was in office, then voted to change the law back after Kennedy died so that Patrick (D) could appoint Kennedy lap-dog Paul Kirk as interim Senator.

Remember how Kirk PROMISED to stay neutral in the special election, then publically endorsed Coakely - showing everyone his real character and moral values, or lack thereof.

Hayes' election record has no bearing here -'3 Time Loser' sounds like a troll trying to distract from the actual issues. Kurt debated far and wide during his campaign, appearing several times in every town in his misshapen district.
Iron Mike

Acton, MA

#6 Jan 24, 2011
Kurt and I don't always agree on issues or methods. But if Massachusetts wants to continue to be a gerrymandered JOKE, then let the Dems carve up our districts again - both Federal and State. Then wonder why we're broke, why businesses depart, and why Republicans put in their time then move to Red States.

Do that, and come 2021 you'll divide yourselves into 8 districts, and in 2031 into 7.

And by then the Chinese Governor of Massachusetts will do the dividing himself.

As for '3 time loser'- please check your spelling, and take your medication. You added nothing to the discussion.
3 time loser wrote:
Hey Sentinel-
Kurt ran twice against Rep. Benson and lost. And he lost in his race for congress. Since he as lost as a republican and independent, maybe he will try it again as a democrat. And since when does this guy care about the women league of voters? He blew off both of their debates during the election. Please...give it a rest.
Mellon271

Columbia, MO

#7 Jan 24, 2011
Great plan, but won't happen this go-round. His former opponent has already voted against a non-partisan plan. She also voted against roll-call votes for tax increases and posting committe votes online. Someday this state will stand up to the machine, but not anytime soon as evidenced by the most recent election.
Full Participation

Bolton, MA

#8 Jan 24, 2011
When all states together adopt non-partisan redistricting plans, Massachusetts should join them.

Until then, the state lege is justified to do the same thing that all the other states are doing.
jump

Acton, MA

#9 Jan 24, 2011
Full Participation wrote:
When all states together adopt non-partisan redistricting plans, Massachusetts should join them.
Until then, the state lege is justified to do the same thing that all the other states are doing.
What states are you talking about? Why should we worry or do things based on what other states are doing? Why is the state "lege" justified, because they are Dems making the rules and want to keep their districts? It does make sense to adopt a non-partisan redistricting plan unless you are worried about losing your district. I would imagine you would not want all Republicans working on the redistricting!
Sherry Petri

Peoria, IL

#10 Jan 24, 2011
Would be nice to do re-districting in a FAIR manner finally as Kurt suggests. The 3x loser comment is soo..typical. Can't argue on facts, common sense, or issues..so resorts to insults or name-calling. MMM..WHAT'S THE COMMON DENOMINATOR that is destroying the once great state of Mass....just what's happened in IL!
Full Participation

Bolton, MA

#11 Jan 24, 2011
jump wrote:
<quoted text>
What states are you talking about? Why should we worry or do things based on what other states are doing? Why is the state "lege" justified, because they are Dems making the rules and want to keep their districts? It does make sense to adopt a non-partisan redistricting plan unless you are worried about losing your district. I would imagine you would not want all Republicans working on the redistricting!
I'm talking about Texas, Ohio, Fla, and all the others that are also to be gerrymandered this year. And for the same reason that giving a states' entire allotment of presidential electoral votes to the winner of that state's popular vote is unfair unless all states enact the rule together.

In states with R majorities, the republicans do all the redistricting. I have not heard of a single R-led lege or governor stepping up to make their redistricting non-partisan.

They should lead by example for a change. When all 50 states have truly non-partisan redistricting, it would be an improvement for our (small-d) democracy. Until that time, calls to change the redistricting in 1 state only are simply calls to give the minority party an advantage.
shaking my head

AOL

#12 Jan 24, 2011
3 time loser wrote:
Hey Sentinel-
Kurt ran twice against Rep. Benson and lost. And he lost in his race for congress. Since he as lost as a republican and independent, maybe he will try it again as a democrat. And since when does this guy care about the women league of voters? He blew off both of their debates during the election. Please...give it a rest.
He lost for the same reason 95% of the reps who run lose.
This is a liberal state with a liberal gov and a liberal legislature.
Occassionally we get a rep in the gov's seat , but it doesn't do any good due to again... the liberal legislature.
I certainly think we need a complete overhaul of the districts. I don't want to be stuck will all rich liberal Acton anymore
shaking my head

AOL

#13 Jan 24, 2011
Full Participation wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm talking about Texas, Ohio, Fla, and all the others that are also to be gerrymandered this year. And for the same reason that giving a states' entire allotment of presidential electoral votes to the winner of that state's popular vote is unfair unless all states enact the rule together.
In states with R majorities, the republicans do all the redistricting. I have not heard of a single R-led lege or governor stepping up to make their redistricting non-partisan.
They should lead by example for a change. When all 50 states have truly non-partisan redistricting, it would be an improvement for our (small-d) democracy. Until that time, calls to change the redistricting in 1 state only are simply calls to give the minority party an advantage.
After the Pelosi/Reid lead congress where the republicans didn't even have a chance to read a 2000 plus page bill, you now want fair?
I hope the reps tell the dems who know want to work on redistricting to stuff it. I highly doubt they will though... too bad.
Full Participation

Bolton, MA

#14 Jan 24, 2011
shaking my head wrote:
<quoted text>
After the Pelosi/Reid lead congress where the republicans didn't even have a chance to read a 2000 plus page bill, you now want fair?
I hope the reps tell the dems who know want to work on redistricting to stuff it. I highly doubt they will though... too bad.
"Ya, but look what THEY did!" *emo-pout*

Please, spare me.

I don't care what party you support. In any call for a non-partisan improvement to our democratic process, there is no room for vindictive, childish whining or back-biting.
Lead not follow

Acton, MA

#15 Jan 24, 2011
Full Participation wrote:
When all states together adopt non-partisan redistricting plans, Massachusetts should join them.
Until then, the state lege is justified to do the same thing that all the other states are doing.
Funny how liberals want us to 'lead the way' on their pet issues like making MA a leader in the 'green industry' and adding extra regulations that make us less competitive when it comes to attracting and keeping jobs...yet the want to wait for every other state when it comes to designing Massachusetts districts in a fair, non-partisan way. Why not attempt to be a leader in this, especially with our justifiably worst-in-country reputation for political corruption.
shaking my head

AOL

#16 Jan 25, 2011
Full Participation wrote:
<quoted text>
"Ya, but look what THEY did!" *emo-pout*
Please, spare me.
I don't care what party you support. In any call for a non-partisan improvement to our democratic process, there is no room for vindictive, childish whining or back-biting.
Have you turned on the news lately? Have you heard any liberals?
I am so sick of them and the nasty crap they spew on a daily basis, that no, I do not want decent people dealing with them.
This Kumbaya the liberals want now is much much to late.
If the decent dems and reps want to work together, so be it. Btw..you might want to write the Boston Globe/NYT's and tell them to get into the fair and unbiased news business.
Jimbo-Acton

Concord, MA

#17 Jan 25, 2011
Kurt's idea to undue the gerrymandering makes a lot of sense, especially concerning grouping school districts in the same legislative district. This would encourage more voters, and even reps, to attend school committee and town meetings. Replying to the self-named "Three-time loser", Kurt did not "blow off" the LWV candidate nights. He honored his commitment to his already-scheduled Conversations with Kurt throughout his district, even when the LWV meetings conflicted with his own.
Full Participation

Bolton, MA

#18 Jan 25, 2011
shaking my head wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you turned on the news lately? Have you heard any liberals?
I am so sick of them and the nasty **** they spew on a daily basis, that no, I do not want decent people dealing with them.
This Kumbaya the liberals want now is much much to late.
If the decent dems and reps want to work together, so be it. Btw..you might want to write the Boston Globe/NYT's and tell them to get into the fair and unbiased news business.
There there, dry those tears little fella. It's OK, you can have your own facts if you want to. No one meant to upset you. You can live in your own little alternative reality all you want.
shaking my head

AOL

#19 Jan 25, 2011
Full Participation wrote:
<quoted text>
There there, dry those tears little fella. It's OK, you can have your own facts if you want to. No one meant to upset you. You can live in your own little alternative reality all you want.
speaking of childish
Do any of you

Lunenburg, MA

#20 Jan 26, 2011
people have job's?

Although as long as you're here, on these blogs, I suppose you're NOT out bothering people.

It is some of these people that is the exact reason Massachusetts will fail...2500 folks a month fleeing and it ain't the illegals, the welfare people and the leeches. It's working families, businessmen and women, leaving, one congressional district down, more coming.

Let's see in 10 years! You will have nothing left but the needy and the union hanger on'ers, who's going to supply money for either group?

July 1, smokes go up another $1.25 per pack. A pack of butts in Mass will be $10.00. While smokers and drinkers are in N.H. getting their fix, they will also buy all thier needs, we loose that percentage of taxes. I'm laughing all the way thru the screwed up districts into NH. I'll also have lunch/dinner up there, hurting yet more mass business's taking away yet more taxes, depriving the hack o rama of yet more money..

Coming soon to a home near you..pay per mile auto insurance, a chip in your annual inspection sticker, then they can back tax our trips out of state and TAX you per mile driven, See ya in some sunny state lacking the loony fringe. Let's see how you like all the liberal stuff with no way in heck to pay for it, honest folks and job producers will not be here, or they'll be working under the table.
A multi billion dollar wind farm off of the cape making $1.00 wourth of energy for $1.76! Evergreen gone, along with the jobs and our tax dollars and on and on.
A new regional scholl in Ayer/Shirley, where the
hacks in charge are eating 1/2 a million in salary
want 750K for a "study" to tell them they need a 39 Million dollar school, all the while working on a 3 yr deal for the teachers with pay increases each year in a recession!

ATTENTION: Would the last one out of Massachusetts please turn out the lights!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Acton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rotarians host another spirited food and brewfe... Aug 23 Jerry 2
Several Mass. Companies Land on 2014 Inc. 5000 ... Aug 21 Lori 2453 1
MA Who do you support for Governor in Massachusett... (Oct '10) Aug 16 Kundrot dionkie 1,163
Rape charges dropped in Westford beach case (Sep '09) Aug 9 Morgan 34
Town hires towing firm despite worker's history (Jul '07) Aug 9 Crystal 17
MA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Massachus... (Oct '10) Aug 2 Kundrot dionkie 4,699
McNutt gets nod for town administrator Aug 1 Jtn 1
•••

Acton News Video

•••
•••

Acton Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Acton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Acton News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Acton
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••