Bruce Deile

Tucson, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Couldn't see his point before (Pat Metheny considering 'Smokin at the Half Note' his favorite of Wes Montgomery), but agree now--this is excellent:

Wes Montgomery - Unreleased from the half note(Birk's Works)

video by Musicenthusiasm·

Here is a rare and unreleased recording from one of Wes Montgomery's legendary sessions at the Half Note in NYC. Wes is joined by bassist Larry Ridley and drummer Jimmy Cobb for an inspired performance of Dizzy Gillespie's "Birk's Works". The gig took place on the 19th of February in 1965.
Bruce Deile

Tucson, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Here is the specific song/solo Metheny refers to as his favorite. I agree, but also like the comment below the video that there ones by Montgomery that are quite enjoyable too. Don't know if I have a favorite of his yet--haven't heard enough, but definitely agree his 'Days of Wine and Roses' is outstanding.

Wynton Kelly, Wes Montgomery "If You Could See Me Now".wmv

video by music1900jbp

Wynton Kelly Trio with Wes Montgomery Smokin' At The Half Note (1965)

Wynton Kelly, piano
Wes Montgomery, guitar
Paul Chambers, bass
Jimmy Cobb, drums
Bruce Deile

Tucson, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Just viewed that City Council video again--it's allright. I didn't do so bad as it seems on first viewing(s). But regarding the councilmen's comments...people are being court ordered to AA meetings throughout Tucson from somewhere. Would like to know where. I spoke on this at the Pima County Board of Supervisors meeting weeks ago and they did not indicate they were court ordering people to AA. So where are they being court ordered from?
Bruce Deile

Tucson, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Knew this would happen one day....have begun delving into the personal lives of favorite singers, beyond just their Wiki pages. lol. Prophesied as much when commenting under a France Gall video about five years ago. Said I'll probably get like that Robin Williams film character--the lonely, alienated man that works at a photo developing store in a mall or somewhere and becomes obsessed with a certain family that brings their photos in to be developed. Sure enough...! Joking aside, some of this personal info.(well, it's in magazines and newspapers so not too personal) is quite serious:

Just found out Michele Torr's son has MS and is now in a wheelchair; her husband may have to have a leg amputation; and Michele Torr had a stroke in 2009 that continued to involve amnesia.

This is very interesting, since somehow I'd become fixated on her "Ce Soir Je T'Attendais" about 3-4 years ago and presently must consider it my favorite song/singer. And only learned recently, a month or so ago, when the Michele Torr English version of that song appeared on YouTube, that it means "Only Tears Are Left For Me". She sings it in English, so now know what the song means.
Bruce Deile

Tucson, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Just listened again and hadn't realized how well the Wes Montgomery 'Days of Wine and Roses' conveys the mood of the film. It's Wiki page explains some feel the film was not as dramatic as the television version, but I've only seen the film so don't know. But very much enjoyed the film. Mentioned on another thread it also shows some of the helpfulness that's experienced relating to AA. Although I've been focusing on constructive criticism of AA of late, there is much I agree with and have been helped by. But hopefully this constructive criticsim is helpful to others as well in trying to understand things in a better way overall.

There was a man at Whole Foods Market on Speedway today with a sign and flyers warning people against AA. I'm not warning against it so much as questioning its teachings after over 26 years of involvement in it, and I'm also objecting to it being court ordered. There is a site online explaining Australia no longer court orders people to AA as they realized how counterproductive that can actually be. Maybe will come across that agin becasue it would be good to provide a link to it.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Acme Discussions

Search the Acme Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
UN rights expert accuses Israel of 'ethnic clea... 3 hr Go Blue Forever 770
AA and False Guilt Jul 23 Bruce Deile 19
WA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Washingto... (Oct '10) Jul 22 EasyEed 710
cult reportedly in Sedro-Wooley (Jun '10) Jul 14 Old Friend 64
Review: Flipside Performance (May '13) Jul 13 Nino Brown 7
ping pong Jul 4 eric 1
looking for my sisters and brother Jun '14 Chris 1
•••
•••

Acme News Video

•••
•••

Acme Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000