Wondering

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2012

Can anyone shed some light on McCali Manor and the owner. I see ads for employment for this place all the time on Craigslist. What gives? Is there that much business that she needs to hire additional help or can't she keep her employees?

Also, what are the prices of this establishment? Are they in comparision with other business in the area or are they over the roof?
Gene

Gibsonia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

Wondering wrote:
Can anyone shed some light on McCali Manor and the owner. I see ads for employment for this place all the time on Craigslist. What gives? Is there that much business that she needs to hire additional help or can't she keep her employees?
Also, what are the prices of this establishment? Are they in comparision with other business in the area or are they over the roof?
Hi!

The owner is a nutcase who can't keep employees for more than a few days at a time. I wouldn't bother working for her - most days she's the only one working because she can't keep staff. She had a wedding in there in June and had to call friends in at the last minute to staff it.

Prices for food are pretty high - the food used to be good when she had a chef, but since he wouldn't work for her either, the food is pretty average-below average.
Anonymous

Ruffs Dale, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2013

As a former "employee" (if you can even call it that) myself, I would definitely not recommend working there!
Gene

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

Anonymous wrote:
As a former "employee" (if you can even call it that) myself, I would definitely not recommend working there!
Tell us why! We want the dirt :)
jane altman

Rillton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Judged:

Which chef are you talking about? The one that a customer reported finding a needle left in the restroom when he left? The one who had parties after hours at my expense? or the two who got caught stealing food??? No wonder I work there by myself. AND.. since I'm focused on success, the food is excellent.
jane altman

Rillton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Judged:

Anonymous wrote:
"Anonymous"... you know EXACTLY why you are gone. I only mentioned one of your infarctions below. Should I also mention the numerous other ways you took financial and time advantage, stole, etc.?
Anon

University Park, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Eh...I worked there, too. I agree with everybody else.

And I can honestly say that I NEVER recalled anybody stealing food.
Anonymous

Irwin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

The food's not worth stealing.
Anon

University Park, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

@Anonymous: Nah, I will be a devil's advocate here and say that the food is actually pretty good.

It's worth eating there; working there, on the other hand...well, not so much.:P
jane altman

Rillton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

I give... who worked at McCali Manor that lives near penn state???? Anyway... I give up. you guys can't all be wrong, I must be a demanding boss. That is the only kind of boss that is disliked.

But, as to not seeing anyone stealing the food, tis true. A couple of the thieves broke my heart... really liked those guys! Just goes to show my ability to discern and choose people in my life isn't the sharpest.
Just Wondering

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2013

I hear you are the type of boss who hires people for pennies and works them like a workhorse, expecting them to donate their time and services and then when they quit, you spread lies that they "steal" from you.

How much have your parents put into McCali Manor and it's renovations which for all to know, are not completed.
Jane Altman

Irwin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2014

Judged:

Dear Wondering,
I would like you to come work for me. Do not take other people's word for pay and practices... come live it. I think you will find I try to be too fair, am very straight forward and honest, and often pay more than the going rate for talent level.
May I add, I am 4 years new this business. But from what I know of the business, if the talent level I hired were worthy of $60-$80,000 per year, they would not be working at my place. They would be working for large corporations as head chef... maybe even Executive Chef. But don't take my word for it. Here is the restaurant industry average breakdown as found on CollegeGrad.com :
Median hourly earnings of restaurant cooks were $9.39 in May 2004. The middle 50 percent earned between $7.79 and $11.13. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $6.76, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $13.37 per hour. Median hourly earnings in the industries employing the largest numbers of restaurant cooks in May 2004 were:
Traveler accommodations $10.69
Other amusement and recreation industries 10.55
Special food services 10.00
Full-service restaurants 9.34
Drinking places (alcoholic beverages) 9.27
Limited-service eating places 8.25
According to this breadown, I have been more than generous.
But who I hire, and who all other small businesses hire, are the cooks with a few years of training, sometimes schooling. As their talent is increased and education, they are expected to move onward. It isn't rocket science. It's the business world. But lately, reataurant owners are more and more frustrated because cooks come and go quickly so quickly, the cook had no time to even learn the menu.
If you guys understood the cost of hiring each and every one of you, the commitment to train on menu, the commitment to give you a pay check even when business does not bring enough money in to make payroll... even on the weeks we don't take a pay check home ourselves...but you don't. So I see complaints like the above.
It takes a certain breed to actually OWN and be responsibile for others income. Be responsibile for many people's ability to make rent and buy food. I don't mind taking that responsibility. But I do mind people with bad attitudes and little commitment in any aspect of my life. Including any and all of my above comments. They are all true and I still stick by them....
As far as renovation, only a fool would not have bigger and better plans for their future. How boring would that be?
Just Wondering

Latrobe, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2014

You still didn't answer the questions. And it's been noted that you are changing your business to a bed and breakfast type of place.
Wow

Latrobe, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2014

Jane Altman wrote:
Dear Wondering,
I would like you to come work for me. Do not take other people's word for pay and practices... come live it. I think you will find I try to be too fair, am very straight forward and honest, and often pay more than the going rate for talent level.
May I add, I am 4 years new this business. But from what I know of the business, if the talent level I hired were worthy of $60-$80,000 per year, they would not be working at my place. They would be working for large corporations as head chef... maybe even Executive Chef. But don't take my word for it. Here is the restaurant industry average breakdown as found on CollegeGrad.com :
Median hourly earnings of restaurant cooks were $9.39 in May 2004. The middle 50 percent earned between $7.79 and $11.13. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $6.76, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $13.37 per hour. Median hourly earnings in the industries employing the largest numbers of restaurant cooks in May 2004 were:
Traveler accommodations $10.69
Other amusement and recreation industries 10.55
Special food services 10.00
Full-service restaurants 9.34
Drinking places (alcoholic beverages) 9.27
Limited-service eating places 8.25
According to this breadown, I have been more than generous.
But who I hire, and who all other small businesses hire, are the cooks with a few years of training, sometimes schooling. As their talent is increased and education, they are expected to move onward. It isn't rocket science. It's the business world. But lately, reataurant owners are more and more frustrated because cooks come and go quickly so quickly, the cook had no time to even learn the menu.
If you guys understood the cost of hiring each and every one of you, the commitment to train on menu, the commitment to give you a pay check even when business does not bring enough money in to make payroll... even on the weeks we don't take a pay check home ourselves...but you don't. So I see complaints like the above.
It takes a certain breed to actually OWN and be responsibile for others income. Be responsibile for many people's ability to make rent and buy food. I don't mind taking that responsibility. But I do mind people with bad attitudes and little commitment in any aspect of my life. Including any and all of my above comments. They are all true and I still stick by them....
As far as renovation, only a fool would not have bigger and better plans for their future. How boring would that be?
I guess you ARE more than generous when comparing pay rates from 10 years ago. I look at the reviews online and see this is not the place to go.
BeenThere

Irwin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2014

Just Wondering wrote:
You still didn't answer the questions. And it's been noted that you are changing your business to a bed and breakfast type of place.
It seems that you have many unhappy ex-employees posting here. Could it be from your taking your share of their tips even though you didn't do the work? What about the events you held and you had to refund money because the contractees were not satisfied with how their events turned out. Expired products being served at the events. Less than quality food bought and served but overpricing the people at the events. It's all the buzz around town.
And now your newest venture.....is it legit? Did you pull all the proper permits? Did you break down and cry to get your way?
It's the buzz all around town.
JustAnotherAnon

Ruffs Dale, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Friday Jul 11

This place needs to be featured on Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares, no joke!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Acme Discussions

Search the Acme Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) Wed John 51,197
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) Wed bobby6464 3,826
A look at Gov. Tom Corbett's pension push and w... Jul 26 lady 1
"I ran out of gas" scam (Sep '12) Jul 11 Anonymous 8
Review: Alois Painting & Decorating (Mar '10) Jul 8 Linda 3
Mignogna Collision Repair (Jan '14) Jul 2 Collision Repair 4
pipe line Jun '14 new2here 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Acme Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000