Local Supermarket Chain To Layoff Wor...

Local Supermarket Chain To Layoff Workers

There are 11 comments on the WFMZ story from Apr 29, 2011, titled Local Supermarket Chain To Layoff Workers. In it, WFMZ reports that:

A supermarket chain with local stores is set to layoff hundreds of employees. Acme Markets announced Friday that it has plans to lay off 900 workers in its stores in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, and Maryland.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WFMZ.

karl

Philadelphia, PA

#1 Apr 29, 2011
union employees that is!
karl

Philadelphia, PA

#2 Apr 29, 2011
union employees
Wayne95

Allentown, PA

#3 Apr 29, 2011
local? where is the nearest acme???
Daniel

Ambler, PA

#4 Apr 29, 2011
I used to always shop Acme. Now I can't even tell you where one still exists in the Valley..
All these grocery stores (Pathmark, A&P now Acme)are dying where did their customers go???
Like a good friend used to say 'Everybody's got to eat'
unelievable

Slatington, PA

#5 Apr 29, 2011
In the era of economic intelligence when it comes to grocery shopping Walmart Super centers beats any chain hands down. Just left one and asked one of the floor people if they were unhappy because they weren't union, she smiled and no, but was glad to have a job! Shop on!
Doxie

Zionhill, PA

#6 Apr 29, 2011
unelievable wrote:
In the era of economic intelligence when it comes to grocery shopping Walmart Super centers beats any chain hands down. Just left one and asked one of the floor people if they were unhappy because they weren't union, she smiled and no, but was glad to have a job! Shop on!
Happy to have a job with low pay and no benefits, must be an idiot. People will realize someday what the union's mean to working people. If it weren't for the union's demanding health care for the employees, do you think the employer would provide health care. It is a shame when the people at the top of the company make 300 times more than the employees do.
Miroco

Plano, TX

#7 Apr 29, 2011
I have shut two mildly successful factories and moved one to Mexico. All three were the result of Union lunacy in collusion with bureaucratic stupidity. These were furniture factories folks, no weird chemicals, no pollution,we started with farm grown pine, used the wood, processed the sawdust, sold the bark, even made the stain and sealer from sap. We had dozens of lawsuits for really stupid things ie Must install a filter for volatiles even though we didn't use them-the union backed the gov and said we might. I can fill a book, remember these things when you vote dem and/or union, there is no company made more successful because of a union. There is no country successfully communist--see CUBA.

Since: Oct 09

over here <-------->

#8 Apr 29, 2011
Miroco wrote:
I have shut two mildly successful factories and moved one to Mexico. All three were the result of Union lunacy in collusion with bureaucratic stupidity. These were furniture factories folks, no weird chemicals, no pollution,we started with farm grown pine, used the wood, processed the sawdust, sold the bark, even made the stain and sealer from sap. We had dozens of lawsuits for really stupid things ie Must install a filter for volatiles even though we didn't use them-the union backed the gov and said we might. I can fill a book, remember these things when you vote dem and/or union, there is no company made more successful because of a union. There is no country successfully communist--see CUBA.
Nobody wants to hear, see, or know the truth. Good luck Miroco.
who cares

Reading, PA

#9 Apr 29, 2011
Doxie wrote:
<quoted text>
Happy to have a job with low pay and no benefits, must be an idiot. People will realize someday what the union's mean to working people. If it weren't for the union's demanding health care for the employees, do you think the employer would provide health care. It is a shame when the people at the top of the company make 300 times more than the employees do.
Maybe ur very successful and/or have a good job but remember how the economy and job market has been... a lot of people are just happy to have a job and get a paycheck, even if it is a little one, its something. However, i do agree on the latter of your statement, in the case where a company wont pay their employees shit, yet the management is making a triple or near triple digit salary and barely has to lift a finger. Ridiculous but thats the world we live in.
JJ Mirkin

Girardville, PA

#10 Apr 30, 2011
Miroco wrote:
I have shut two mildly successful factories and moved one to Mexico. All three were the result of Union lunacy in collusion with bureaucratic stupidity. These were furniture factories folks, no weird chemicals, no pollution,we started with farm grown pine, used the wood, processed the sawdust, sold the bark, even made the stain and sealer from sap. We had dozens of lawsuits for really stupid things ie Must install a filter for volatiles even though we didn't use them-the union backed the gov and said we might. I can fill a book, remember these things when you vote dem and/or union, there is no company made more successful because of a union. There is no country successfully communist--see CUBA.
now if you could move to your company in Mexico we would be rid of a anti American

I only hope that at some point they tariff your schitty shorts off and it cost more for your substandard product in the US than American made counterparts

traitor
Anthony

Harleysville, PA

#11 May 21, 2011
You people make me sick! I worked for acme and lost my job. I worked really hard to make sure the rest of you can shove your faces as did my fellow employees. Most of us didn't like the union they ripped us off. We only joined as a condition of employment. And nor was I thrilled when they started contract negotiations that they demanded a strike right away!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Acme Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bullying, school safety challenges focus of sym... May 12 user 2
JESUS is the WAY, the TRUTH and the LIFE May 12 Guardian Angel 1
Study the Bible (Oct '16) May 11 MacIntyre 2
bicycle rider (Oct '12) May 11 keptlockedup 11
News Notorious Westmoreland County bicyclist jailed ... (Sep '16) Apr '17 activist 2
Long lost relative Mar '17 lorbob27 2
The Hideout Club (Apr '16) Mar '17 Dawn 2

Acme Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Acme Mortgages