Posted in the Abington Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“It's all about the money”

Since: Jul 07

Clovis, CA

#1 Jul 11, 2007
A former Teen Challenge student exposes this abusive Christian alcohol and drug program. Although seen by many as a worthwhile organization, Teen Challenge has a dark side, one of pathological abuse and an obsession with the almighty dollar.

http://www.teenchallengeexposed.com
Jacquelyn Riege

Rochester, NH

#2 Jul 24, 2007
I am a 70 year old woman. I have been born again for 27 years. I am ordained with the United Christian school of Theology in Tennessee. I helped start and run one rehab in Cookeville, Tennessee. I worked at house manager for 16 months, with 12 days off. I lived in with the ladies, woke them, drove them to work, meetings, probabtion officers, interviews et. I picked them up from work, drove home, they got dinner, then we had a Bible study and an emotions workshop. I am a person that Jesus delivered from 22 years of alcoholism. I didn't go to AA or anything else. God has taught me everything through the church or the school I went too or studies on my own. I would love to be a part of teen challenge as I know they are the best in the world for setting people free. One of our girls finished our program, went home, and due to family problems she started using again. I got with her mother and grandmother and we got her into Teen Challenge in Chattanooga Tennessee. She graduated in June, has a job, her own apartment there in Chattanooga and is doing beautifully. Hope to hear from you. Rev Jackie Riege

“It's all about the money”

Since: Jul 07

Clovis, CA

#3 Jul 24, 2007
Jacquelyn Riege wrote:
I am ordained with the United Christian school of Theology in Tennessee.
Which would make you a lay minister, which means you have the legal power to do absolutely nothing except put "reverend" in front of your name. Pardon me for not being impressed.
Erin Chappell

Ridgefield, CT

#4 Mar 18, 2009
Just because you have seen the wrong side of one center doesn't mean that the entire program is bad. I have seen it change lives and help THOSE WH O WANT TO BE HELPED. If you choose to do your own thing then go and the door is always open. I think you just got a bad taste with whatever group you were dealing with and now your bad-mouthing the whole ministry and thats so very immature and juvinile. God forgives past,present and future and the bible teaches NOT TO JUDGE!! WORRY ABOUT THE TREE TRUNK IN YOUR OWN EYE BEFORE YOU WORRY ABOUT THE SPECK IN SOMEONE ELSES!!!
trnnfrayed

San Diego, CA

#5 Mar 19, 2009
Erin,
Will you have my children?
Erin Chappell wrote:
Just because you have seen the wrong side of one center doesn't mean that the entire program is bad. I have seen it change lives and help THOSE WH O WANT TO BE HELPED. If you choose to do your own thing then go and the door is always open. I think you just got a bad taste with whatever group you were dealing with and now your bad-mouthing the whole ministry and thats so very immature and juvinile. God forgives past,present and future and the bible teaches NOT TO JUDGE!! WORRY ABOUT THE TREE TRUNK IN YOUR OWN EYE BEFORE YOU WORRY ABOUT THE SPECK IN SOMEONE ELSES!!!
david santiago

Jersey City, NJ

#6 May 29, 2009
I was alone depressed in a prison system and there I meet pastor lily he accepted me to his program and I was transform,he started the biggest teen challenge ministry in the world at darthmouth county jail
Sam Jenkins

United States

#8 Nov 29, 2009
Hello I am Sam and I was in the Teen Challenge, Chattanooga program and I was a hard core drug addict when I entered in 1989. This program was a life-saver for me, they helped me face my problems face on. No I did not like some of the tactics they used, but it opened my eyes and made me a much better person. No one enjoys facing their problems. But if you want to change, it is just something that you have to do. Teen Challenge is not for pansies. So if you are not stong-willed then Teen Challenge is not the program for you.It is not for everybody!!!
greendog2525

Winthrop, MA

#9 Mar 15, 2010
hi i was in teen changeene in brocton ma at first i it looked like it was about money .so after my 10 day withdraw i left because i wanted to shot dope. about 2 months later i dont know how i got there but things started to change . me for one money was never a prolem.before i new it 2 months passed and and i never felt so good .after 6 months my wife kids drove up on a sunday and i thought i never see them again .mom dad came up but still had to show them after i left i change .now this is were god comes in. it was winter no car no money no job no house i prayed for few weeks for all that.well one morning at 6 oclock i walk into a produce company in long wharf ct ask is any job openings .the guy said in words to get lost ias i was walking away he said wait. i still there over a hour .he saidif you can do the job you got it but if not see you .i asked him if i could eat some fruit if the box was open and he said yes .that night he said see you tommrow i got the job and ask if i can give me a ride home .i said no and strart walking anywere .he sees me walking and picks me up and ask were i was going so i told him the trurt.he stop at a hotel in branford and paid for the night and said be outside 4 in the morning i was there at 330.god answer every pray all at one stop i had food i had job ihad a place to live and i had most of all peace of mind .6 months later i had my owen place new still and was showing my family the new me thank you lord
joyce pruitt

Bradyville, TN

#10 Sep 14, 2010
My husband went through teen challenge in north carolina and it SAVED his life. No, sometimes the
classes and the structure is difficult for those who come from situations where they have had none.
But if they knew how to handle life situations they
would not need guidance. Teen Challenge has saved
many lives. I also lost a 23 yr old son to drug
abuse he was in many rehabs for short periods of time. Teen challenge teaches over time how to confort and deal with life problems which cannont be handled in a short time frame. I wish I had known about teen challenge with my son, maybe he would still be here.
challengeawsome

Dalton, GA

#12 Oct 18, 2010
I went to teen challenge for 9 months in 2000 and i can tell you - IT HELPS! if it is not against Jesus it is for Jesus. I see some angry person leaving comments that will be shown to him someday and I pray for that person. Teen Challenge put " water " on a seed that God had planted and I cannot believe someone would say it is a bad program. Most of the time it is voluntary or deemed by a judge as a second chance to jail - GET real - this place is blessed it is 10 years later and not a day goes by I dont thank God for the experience, yes it has rules and so does life and laws, obviously people that go there cant deal in life or they wouldnt be there - it is a blessing to all who go and NO - no body is perfect and where do you think evil is? At t he bottom, sure there are people there that dont belong but its the message not the people - allow jesus to change your heart and to love one another as he loves us. THANKYOU TEEN CHALLENGE MAY GOD BLESS THE FINANCIAL NEEDS, because I know that to run a program that houses people and has BILLS and food, clothes, workers and such requires money - unfortunantly nothing is free.....except the GIFT OF THE LORD JESUS -
David Negalha Jr

New Bedford, MA

#13 Feb 9, 2011
Teen-Challenge is Gods work so be careful on what you say about Gods work it is a camp ground for Gods children and yes somethings are wrong but know one is perfect. Teen-challenge was a blessing to me and my beautiful wife. praise Jesus
David Negalha Jr

New Bedford, MA

#14 Feb 9, 2011
I also believe that the providence womens home is awsome i cant thank the Lord Jesus for putting my beautiful wife in their every time i go their i feel the sweet presence of the Lord Jesus.Once again Teen-Challenge is not perfect but neither are we.I ask in the name of Jesus that anyone who speaks against your work Lord that you would forgive them and let us all see the good in things not the bad.
angelswings 37

Fitchburg, MA

#18 Jun 27, 2011
greendog2525 wrote:
hi i was in teen changeene in brocton ma at first i it looked like it was about money .so after my 10 day withdraw i left because i wanted to shot dope. about 2 months later i dont know how i got there but things started to change . me for one money was never a prolem.before i new it 2 months passed and and i never felt so good .after 6 months my wife kids drove up on a sunday and i thought i never see them again .mom dad came up but still had to show them after i left i change .now this is were god comes in. it was winter no car no money no job no house i prayed for few weeks for all that.well one morning at 6 oclock i walk into a produce company in long wharf ct ask is any job openings .the guy said in words to get lost ias i was walking away he said wait. i still there over a hour .he saidif you can do the job you got it but if not see you .i asked him if i could eat some fruit if the box was open and he said yes .that night he said see you tommrow i got the job and ask if i can give me a ride home .i said no and strart walking anywere .he sees me walking and picks me up and ask were i was going so i told him the trurt.he stop at a hotel in branford and paid for the night and said be outside 4 in the morning i was there at 330.god answer every pray all at one stop i had food i had job ihad a place to live and i had most of all peace of mind .6 months later i had my owen place new still and was showing my family the new me thank you lord
I was reading some of the comments and your caught my eyes. My boyfriend and i have been having difficult problems. He is recovering from being a drug and alcoholic drug addict.He was recently released from jail for doing his time 7 months. He was at a rehab center, but now they kicked him out. I have been trying to get him to go to teen challenge. He finally gave up and said he is going. I have faith he can change, im just worried once he is out, he'll go back to it again. He is going to the one brockton MA as well seeing its the closest. Im a little skeptical about the program but I pray it can help him out. Was the process hard? Were you allowed to have your family visit you? I hope the program works for him. Im praying it does. Please write back and tell me more about your experience.
-Angelswings 37
lmb219

Concord, MA

#19 Sep 13, 2011
angelswings 37 wrote:
<quoted text>
I was reading some of the comments and your caught my eyes. My boyfriend and i have been having difficult problems. He is recovering from being a drug and alcoholic drug addict.He was recently released from jail for doing his time 7 months. He was at a rehab center, but now they kicked him out. I have been trying to get him to go to teen challenge. He finally gave up and said he is going. I have faith he can change, im just worried once he is out, he'll go back to it again. He is going to the one brockton MA as well seeing its the closest. Im a little skeptical about the program but I pray it can help him out. Was the process hard? Were you allowed to have your family visit you? I hope the program works for him. Im praying it does. Please write back and tell me more about your experience.
-Angelswings 37
I hope your boyfriend is doing well at Teen Challenge. Just kissed my son goodbye this morning as he left to go to the same Teen Challenge in Brockton. I've been reading up on all the blogs and comments, not on Teen Challenge sites themselves, but sites others have started to tell about their experiences. I got a little freaked out last night, as there is one particularly nasty blog about it, but I haven't seen anything horrible about this particular chapter; looks like they had a lot of problems in the South and the West (Texas, Florida, Tennessee, etc.). But reading more, I think there are a lot of people hurting out there, and there is no one cure or fast fix for everyone. I think that this, like most things, is going to be a matter of you'll get out what you put in. If you've hit the bottom, then there really is nowhere to go but up. My son heard about this program from a cellmate when he was in Billerica. He's 21 yrs. old, a new father, and has a lot of life left; I honestly feel in my heart he's made the best possible decision (and it WAS his decision...he wanted to do this). Praying for all the people with addictions, as well as their families. I know this isn't easy for any of us, but addicts need to know they are loved even if they don't know how to accept it without guilt. LOVE YOUR BABIES!!!!!
love

Maryville, TN

#21 Jul 23, 2012
Teen Challenge Exposed wrote:
<quoted text>
Which would make you a lay minister, which means you have the legal power to do absolutely nothing except put "reverend" in front of your name. Pardon me for not being impressed.

you sound like a person that has eyes but does not see and has ears but does not hear. I went to Teen Challenge for 9 months and that was around 2000 and today the teaching that the Holy Spirit gave me while in the program has made my life managable, I do not have addiction problems anymore but I deal with life through my savior. 13 years ago I would say some nasty stuff but just for today, I will pray that you see and listen.
All Glory be to God through Jesus the Christ my savior
Sean scully

United States

#22 Dec 3, 2012
I went through the TC program in Brockton, Ma. I have been in numerous rehabilitation centets in the US, ranging from 3 days to 6 months. I, along with hundreds of friends, addicts and brothers here were witness to the power of God in peoples lives. I came hete out of desperation. I stay here to help others find what we found here. Thank you Jesus!
lmb219

United States

#23 Dec 4, 2012
Hello...I posted here back in September 2011. My son was going to enter the program in Brockton. He lasted less than 2 hours, and was pretty horrifying. Basically, amounts to a cult. They mention NOTHING until you are there about the "donation" of upwards of $1k that they require, they have NO medical staff on site (umm, these are addicts, likely to be withdrawing???), and as soon as my son realized what was happening, he immediately got up to leave. They tried to bring in numerous other people (supposed "peers" to convince him to stay), but he said it just felt all wrong. Remember, he was the one who wanted to go here in the first place. He was not given an ultimatum, his family hadn't completely deserted him at that point, and he had a roof over his head. When he finally made it to the door, he had some of the literature they give you when you sign in, and he got almost to the end of the property, and 2 big guys chased him (LITERALLY chased him...running!) to get the literature back. It wasn't like he stole the holy grail, or anything valuable, just paperwork that apparently gave away more than they want known to the outside world. It's fairly obvious that these folks prey on the weakest of the weak that have no hope and no support network of their own. My son ultimately found Spectrum House, and it was a PERFECT fit. It wasn't preachy, it was structured. They do believe in a higher power, and their philosophy is avaiable to anyone who wants to read it. Their core beliefs make sense to both addicts and non-addicts alike, and are solid. My son still struggles with his addictions. He stayed 3 out of the 5 months of the program at Spectrum, and felt he needed to get out to take care of his newborn baby (even though we got to visit him with the baby there...they could meet with us in a big community room or go outside). Word to anyone entering a program - they are as long as they are for a reason, whether you are privy to the reason or not, but NO EXCUSE AT ALL is worth checking out early if being there is working for you. You're family would rather wait and get you back sober, then have you back sooner without the tools you need to remain sober. Bottom line, anyone asks me face to face if I've ever heard of Teen Challenge, I'd tell them run as fast and far as they can and don't look back. For those of you on here that have been helped by Teen Challenge; good for you and I'm happy for you. I guess it takes all kinds, and if this was your thing, and this got you clean, then great. Personally, I'm terrified that not only do they still exist, but often times are a Court-ordered option rather than jail.
SVTC

Danville, VA

#24 Jan 7, 2013
Teen Challenge is nothing more than a money scam. We worked for weeks with no days off and never had any type of counseling and barely survived with the food we were fed. WORK WORK WORK WORK and eat a little. Thats all that I learned from this place. If you want your children working then get them a job and put them at home with you. Dont send your kids to a prison camp to work for free and be starved. If you want your kids to belive in God this isnt the place either. Most everyone i Knew in my group wont be stepping into church again for a long time since they have gotten out.
Derek

Woodbury, TN

#25 Jan 23, 2013
@Imb219 - you said he was there for 2 hours. How could he possibly ascertain that this is a cult? You believed what he told you without witnessing the short visit. And to say they were chasing him down for the material. Get real lady/dude! It is so sad to see the remarks you and others have made that paint Teen Challenge to be a cult and nothing more than a money hungry organization. My question to you is - Did you ever check this place out to see if they had doctors and counselors? Did you blindly send your son to a place that you knew nothing about (apparently that is true or you would not have made the comments you made). If someone wants help, it is not the facility that makes the change. It is entirely up to the individual, no matter the place. I have been in some pretty deplorable rehabs but in the end it was always up to the student to take advantage of the opportunity (no matter how hard it is) and make changes in his/her life. I have been to several long term rehabs (3 teen challenges) and each time it was up to me to make up my mind to change. Now, I am director of the last program I was in. Ask yourself - would you rather your son be on the streets in the dead of winter or have a roof over his head, food, and other necessities? Remember - your precious little boy is manipulative and selfish - he knows how to get what he wants from you. I bet your son is still doing drugs and will be till he decides to turn his life over to Christ and let Him lead his life. I hope he lives long enough to find the help he needs.
Beth1308

Letohatchee, AL

#26 Feb 2, 2013
Can someone give me some true insight to Teen Challenge in Chattanooga? We are hoping to send mt son there once he gets out of jail. He needs spiritual and emotional healing, I believe that will help him fight his addiction better. Drugs are the symptom of a broken man internally. He has been to standard rehabs in the past. The first one kicked him out after 12 days because insurance wouldn't pay anymore and we did have the thousands of dollars they wanted to keep him there ( they wanted ALL the money up front). The next one was a 30 day program that seemed ok. He learned a lot but it didn't really deal with the spiritually and emotionally borked person he has become. He has not been in jail before and I think he has hit his rock bottom. I went to visit him today and he cried for the first time that I have seen since he was a little boy. I want to make sure he goes to the right place for him this time. He says he is ready to go. Any information or insight on TC Chattanooga from somebody is greatly appreciated.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Abington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Snap chat Oct 22 Kundrot dionkie 2
Randal Moller " is a thief " (Feb '14) Oct 12 Kundrot dionkie 8
Seeking Owner of Lost Class Ring (Jan '06) Oct 12 Kundrot dionkie 528
Gay teen Oct 4 Kjfrancis 1
Fox25 Mission Renovation-Support an East Bridge... Sep '14 EB resident 1
Review: Pizza Palace May '14 JellySmith 1
Debate: Health Care - Abington, MA (Dec '13) Dec '13 Sgt Daniel M Vass... 1

Abington News Video

Abington Dating
Find my Match