noname

Crewe, VA

#42 Jun 28, 2011
all I have to say is a big FU to Dr. Melanie Leight... she is rude and VERY insensitive. I wish any one but her would have been on call when I went into labor... I would recomend going anywhere else instead of risking having that b**** deliver your child.
decs mom

Lexington, VA

#43 Jul 19, 2011
not impressed- I went to abingdon obgyn for my last pregnacy. Everything was fine untill my seventh month i went into peterm labor Dr Lieght stopped it. then about 2 to 3 weeks later i started having hard contractions again they were consistant and really hard but i wasnt dialating. i had to see Dr manthey he sent me home and his comment was "well being pregnant isnt suppose to be fun." he didint explain anything that was going on or anything. he was totally rude unprofessional. i had to stay like that 4 almost the entire last month of my pregnacy and i ended up seeing him two or three visits in a row. i was in mysery and he made me feel like i wasnt worth the time and he wouldnt explain to me why he wasnt doing anything. i was stuck like that till Dr lavingne was kind enough to sit down and explain things to me and he made the appt to go ahead and break my water so id progress. by the time it was time to have my baby labor was a breeze i was so used to the pain that literally 5 mins before he was born my boyfreind and i were laughing and joking as if nothing was going on. Dr manthey is a rude dr with no bedside manner in my oppinion and he doesnt know how to treat his paitence i would never recommend him to anyone. Dr lavigne and Dr lieght are both excellent but manthey after what he did i will never go back to that clinic again.
My opinion

Abingdon, VA

#44 Jul 19, 2011
I went to Abingdon OB for my prenatel care. Dr. Lavigne delivered my baby and I have nothing to complain about. I think a lot of the people complaining are prbly just pissed they couldn't get narcotics while pregnant for a little pain.
fuandfu2

Blacksburg, SC

#45 Jul 21, 2011
Dont to anyone in abingdon. I have heard so many horrible things about all of them. Go see dr.russell or harris in bristol!
fuandfu2

Blacksburg, SC

#46 Jul 21, 2011
But if you go there skip spires, he is a pompous dick who acts like youre crappy if you dont just looove being preggo and is always in a rush even tho he has fewer patients than the resr
I agree

Hermitage, TN

#47 Jul 21, 2011
fuandfu2 wrote:
Dont to anyone in abingdon. I have heard so many horrible things about all of them. Go see dr.russell or harris in bristol!
I started out with Abingdon ObGyn when I was pregnant with my first child. I switched to Bristol gynecology's office mainly because of my concerns about having a baby in Abingdon's hospital. Bristol had private birthing suites where you could deliver and recover in the same room. After hearing several horror stories about Abingdon's obstetricians and the hospital I am so glad I made that decision. Dr. Russell didn't deliver my first child, but I saw him exculusively when I was pregnant with my second. Even though I ended up being induced, he had already given me his private number to ensure that he would deliver my baby if I went into labor early. I have found him to be a caring, capable doctor who listens to and addresses your questions and concerns honestly and empathetically. Abingdon may have a "state of the art" new hospital but without better physicians to utilize it I don't see how much will be different. I highly recommend Dr. Russell and Bristol's birthing center.
Jan

Charlottesville, VA

#48 Jul 22, 2011
I agree wrote:
<quoted text>
I started out with Abingdon ObGyn when I was pregnant with my first child. I switched to Bristol gynecology's office mainly because of my concerns about having a baby in Abingdon's hospital. Bristol had private birthing suites where you could deliver and recover in the same room. After hearing several horror stories about Abingdon's obstetricians and the hospital I am so glad I made that decision. Dr. Russell didn't deliver my first child, but I saw him exculusively when I was pregnant with my second. Even though I ended up being induced, he had already given me his private number to ensure that he would deliver my baby if I went into labor early. I have found him to be a caring, capable doctor who listens to and addresses your questions and concerns honestly and empathetically. Abingdon may have a "state of the art" new hospital but without better physicians to utilize it I don't see how much will be different. I highly recommend Dr. Russell and Bristol's birthing center.
You couldn't have said it better. Dr. Russell is the greatest and so is Bristol Wellmont Hospital..Johnson Memorial new or old will never compare to Bristol.
maw maw

Charlottesville, VA

#49 Jul 27, 2011
I totally agree with you, my daughter had the exact same problem with Manthey. I do not like him or his bedside manner.
kna08

Charlottesville, VA

#50 Jul 27, 2011
Dr. Manthey was there during my delivery...but the nurses did most of the work. He would come in every 15 minutes and walk out. Basically all he did was catch my son when he came out. I really liked Manthey until it was time for me to start pushing. When the nurse came into my room at 4:30am I was fully dialated. Dr. Manthey had went home..which I dont see why considering I had been there since 7pm the night before. But anyways, he was really rude when he finally got there, like he was irritated that he had to wake up to come deliver my son. Oops! Sorry, I couldn't work your Sleeping schedule! lol. I do realize that 1st time deliveries can take hours, but I don't know why he didnt just go lay down somewhere in the hospital since he was the Dr on call..But oh well. I did have a healthy son and that's all that matters. He's an ok Dr..just no bedside manners..at all.
Abingdon Momma

Murfreesboro, TN

#51 Aug 3, 2011
Dr. Manthey delivered my child and was nothing but niceand polite; during the pregnancy, delivery and follow-up appointment. Now I am not too sure he likes to induce patients because they are tired of being pregnant. He is very sympathetic but does not tolerate total whiners and some folks do nothing but complain they entire time they are pregnant and want an induction for convenience reasons. He has great credentials (which I checked out all the doctors before choosing this practice) and I feel as if I had an excellent experience with him and all the other doctors at Abingdon OBGYN. My only complaint is they do take a little too long on appointments in the office. In addition, I think they see a lot of patients on Medicaid and that is hard to sit beside a dead beat getting free health care while I pay a small fortune for mine. I just wish they had Medicaid waiting room and private insurance waiting room so I did not have to sit in the same area with the dead beats as inmates.
kna08

Charlottesville, VA

#52 Aug 3, 2011
Not all people on medicaid are deadbeats! my husband got laid off from his job unexpectedly after I found out I was pregnant. I had no choice but to get on Medicaid. I will agree that about 90% of those are able to work and have insurance and use the system. But in situations like mine I had no other options. My husband found a job, but no benefits, and my job didnt offer benefits either..so we had to do what we had to.
Sad

Hermitage, TN

#53 Aug 4, 2011
Abingdon Momma wrote:
Dr. Manthey delivered my child and was nothing but niceand polite; during the pregnancy, delivery and follow-up appointment. Now I am not too sure he likes to induce patients because they are tired of being pregnant. He is very sympathetic but does not tolerate total whiners and some folks do nothing but complain they entire time they are pregnant and want an induction for convenience reasons. He has great credentials (which I checked out all the doctors before choosing this practice) and I feel as if I had an excellent experience with him and all the other doctors at Abingdon OBGYN. My only complaint is they do take a little too long on appointments in the office. In addition, I think they see a lot of patients on Medicaid and that is hard to sit beside a dead beat getting free health care while I pay a small fortune for mine. I just wish they had Medicaid waiting room and private insurance waiting room so I did not have to sit in the same area with the dead beats as inmates.
After reading this post all I can say is how sad it makes me to know that you have at least one child, to whom you will be teaching your judgemental, condescending and ignorant opinions. I am not, nor have I ever been on Medicaid or any sort of government assistance. However, I would never presume to pass judgement on those who are. One never knows when their own financial circumstances might change. And out of curiosity how do you even know who is or isn't on Medicaid when you are sitting in a waiting room? I assume you are passing judgement based on peoples' appearances. Yet another great trait to pass on to the next generation. But hopefully your child will be smarter than you.
kna08

Charlottesville, VA

#54 Aug 4, 2011
Sad wrote:
<quoted text>
After reading this post all I can say is how sad it makes me to know that you have at least one child, to whom you will be teaching your judgemental, condescending and ignorant opinions. I am not, nor have I ever been on Medicaid or any sort of government assistance. However, I would never presume to pass judgement on those who are. One never knows when their own financial circumstances might change. And out of curiosity how do you even know who is or isn't on Medicaid when you are sitting in a waiting room? I assume you are passing judgement based on peoples' appearances. Yet another great trait to pass on to the next generation. But hopefully your child will be smarter than you.
Amen :)
Curious

Honaker, VA

#55 Aug 4, 2011
I wonder what ever happened to Dr Terry that used to work there. I just loved him! And he was such a cutie pie!
Peeved

York, SC

#56 Oct 8, 2011
I love Abingdon OB except for the fact that they (mostly JMh fault) will not do VBACs. Research shows they are as safe or safer as subsequent csections
Dani

North Tazewell, VA

#57 Dec 2, 2011
I see dr earl at seasons in kingsport tn he is awsome! the nurseing staff on the other hand isn't. I had to go to the er and dr manthey was on call i didnt like him. he has no bed side manner and acts like your more trouble than your worth!
Mself

Bristol, VA

#58 Dec 9, 2011
Sad wrote:
<quoted text>
After reading this post all I can say is how sad it makes me to know that you have at least one child, to whom you will be teaching your judgemental, condescending and ignorant opinions. I am not, nor have I ever been on Medicaid or any sort of government assistance. However, I would never presume to pass judgement on those who are. One never knows when their own financial circumstances might change. And out of curiosity how do you even know who is or isn't on Medicaid when you are sitting in a waiting room? I assume you are passing judgement based on peoples' appearances. Yet another great trait to pass on to the next generation. But hopefully your child will be smarter than you.
I was on medicaid for the last few months of my pregnancy. I was put on bedrest and couldn't work. Without my income we weren't making it very easily. So I applied for medicaid. As soon as my child was born and I went back to work. Me and her were both on private insurance.
RfromA

Bristol, VA

#59 Dec 20, 2011
As to Abingdon Momma statement, Sorry folks this is the typical Abingdon attitude. Please don't judge us all by these statements because not all of us with an Abingdon zip code are this arrogant and small minded! Makes me ashamed to live here!!!
wow

York, SC

#60 Dec 20, 2011
Abingdon Momma wrote:
Dr. Manthey delivered my child and was nothing but niceand polite; during the pregnancy, delivery and follow-up appointment. Now I am not too sure he likes to induce patients because they are tired of being pregnant. He is very sympathetic but does not tolerate total whiners and some folks do nothing but complain they entire time they are pregnant and want an induction for convenience reasons. He has great credentials (which I checked out all the doctors before choosing this practice) and I feel as if I had an excellent experience with him and all the other doctors at Abingdon OBGYN. My only complaint is they do take a little too long on appointments in the office. In addition, I think they see a lot of patients on Medicaid and that is hard to sit beside a dead beat getting free health care while I pay a small fortune for mine. I just wish they had Medicaid waiting room and private insurance waiting room so I did not have to sit in the same area with the dead beats as inmates.
Lady i was on medicaid when i got pregnant!I assure you that you are no better than i am.I got diagnosed with cancer and couldnt work so i had to go on medicaid.I guess you also think people with cancer should have seperate waiting rooms to huh?My unborn child shouldnt have had to go without healthcare because i wasnt able to have private insurance.Your so very close minded!!You dont know everybodys back story,so you shouldnt be so judgmental.I have faith something will knock you from your high horse.Karma is a b**ch!!
Takeresponsibili ty

Abingdon, VA

#61 Dec 21, 2011
wow wrote:
<quoted text>
Lady i was on medicaid when i got pregnant!I assure you that you are no better than i am.I got diagnosed with cancer and couldnt work so i had to go on medicaid.I guess you also think people with cancer should have seperate waiting rooms to huh?My unborn child shouldnt have had to go without healthcare because i wasnt able to have private insurance.Your so very close minded!!You dont know everybodys back story,so you shouldnt be so judgmental.I have faith something will knock you from your high horse.Karma is a b**ch!!
So you had cancer and got pregnant! Umhum. I say, if you can't feed um, don't breed um and expect the taxpaying class to keep your sorry arse up while you lay on the couch mouth breathing and channel surfing. JMO

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Abingdon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Oh yeah (Jun '14) 9 min Mark mark 61,009
Words and Phrases that I Hate 39 min Lostndarkness 28
browns pantry (May '12) 1 hr Gobble gobble 96
holiday help 2 hr Saying 21
Fat mans drug friend 3 hr Cheap healthcare 2
Wednesday Morning Ian Lane Fat Man Thread 8 hr Cheap Healthcare 6
Troubled Ollie and her “guests” 12 hr Who knows 2

Abingdon Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Abingdon Mortgages