Next Last
old timer

Charlottesville, VA

#1 Jun 30, 2011
has any one tried them out what do you think i was not very happy
Tee Hee

Fairfax, VA

#2 Jun 30, 2011
Seemed kinda bland and average, a little pricey for what you got I thought. I had high hopes, but it didn't quite live up to 'em. Tee Hee.
Same Ol

Elizabethton, TN

#3 Jun 30, 2011
Here's a quick review: UNLIKE THE SERVICE HERE!
CROWDED - Expected being new
WAIT TIME- God awful, down right pathetic
FOOD QUALITY- Below Average & Very Bland: Cheesesticks were not down in the middle, Pizza crust was burnt on 1 side
EMPLOYEES- Too young & inexperienced with NO SOCIAL SKILLS
MANAGEMENT- Arrogantly ignorant on all restaurant aspects but to busy being pompous asses to realize it
DINING/OVERALL AREA- It's new, so right now it's nice, but WAY TOO SMALL. If spending that kind of money, at least make it comfortable.
OVERALL- Same ol place as Bella's of Bristol
Don't waste your time AND MONEY!
Too Bad

Bristol, VA

#4 Jul 1, 2011
Seriously? It is definitely not higher-end Italian pastas or New York pizzas, but it wasn't too bad. I mean, if you're accustomed to eating at their Bella's place, you won't be dissappointed....or pleasantly surprised. I did think that maybe with the new location, new building, new customers, new name(which is not very catchy or memorable-most people including myself who've discussed it, still can't understand that choice); i thought maybe new menu, better pricing, and higher quality food. That part of it is a let-down. But everythings the same as Bella's, but I would work on getting rid of most of their younger staff and replace them with a more mature & experienced person. So all-in-all, I give them 2 outta 5 stars! < Really considered 1.5 stars.
rachel

United States

#5 Jul 1, 2011
A really young guy owns the business so that's why he hires young staff members. They do fine I think. Its decent. I will eat there again.

Since: Jun 11

Knoxville, TN

#6 Jul 2, 2011
It was ok! Just plain ol pizza but still better then pizza hut!
old timer

Charlottesville, VA

#7 Jul 2, 2011
it would be nice if this young manager would speak to customers he might learn about some of their errors
Dudley

Knoxville, TN

#8 Jul 2, 2011
ok tried this one too. have to say food sucked.
waited a a long time for what should never be served on a plate. thums down.
Anonymous

Bristol, VA

#9 Jul 2, 2011
Waited for about 30 minutes after being told 10 minutes. I can forgive that, it's a new place and there is a learning curve. The breadsticks were not cooked all the way through. Our pizza was good, but was not as good as bellas or hambinos. I probably wouldn't order from there again.
Vis

Abingdon, VA

#10 Jul 6, 2011
Do they serve alcohol
lilly

United States

#11 Jul 6, 2011
I heard that Derek owns this place, he is fine! I would go there just to get to look at him!
superfly

Abingdon, VA

#13 Jul 8, 2011
Info_Man wrote:
Waited for about 30 minutes after being told 10 minutes. I can forgive that, it's a new place and there is a learning curve. The breadsticks were not cooked all the way through. Our pizza was good, but was not as good as bellas or hambinos. I probably wouldn't order from there again.
If you want to eat at Hambino's that's fine. You may want to cover your personal parts though.
Just Me

Jonesborough, TN

#15 Jul 8, 2011
Went the other night.Food was good.And the service was fast.No complaints,will go again.
concerned2000

Mount Juliet, TN

#16 Jul 8, 2011
Good Food, Good Price,Clean, Employees very good apperance,Look at some the others in pizza and make your own opion. When you go into a place like this you don't want to see employees unclean.
old timer

Charlottesville, VA

#18 Jul 8, 2011
the manager needs some training he realy needs a wake up call
octoberblue

Knoxville, TN

#21 Jul 9, 2011
Boy, some of you people really have issues. I guess forums give some grownups a place to "act out". Geez.

I grew up eating Bella's Bristol and I knew Moon Dog was somehow related.(Still not sure why there seems to be some kind of enmity between Bella's Bristol and Bella's Abingdon. Don't really care either. Both are good.)

Keeping in mind that most people who give "scathing" online reviews (of anything) are idiots, I decided to give it a try. The staff are fine. Those unfamiliar with the Bella's "vibe" seem more likely to get irritated. It has always had a youthful staff.(Seriously, I'm talking since the 70's.)

They are not arrogant, just calm and confident because they've been doing this a while. And they do know what they are doing. They are very friendly and courteous. They just don't have fake smiles plastered on their faces and phony, perky things to say. They are cool in that way.I know some people get off on restaurant staff that kiss up to them, but that's not a healthy emotional need, so get over it.

The food is made to order, so it does take a while, but no longer the average made-to-order restaurant. I know the pizza is pretty good, but what I just ate was a hot ham sub sandwich. It is the same sub I grew up eating from Bella's Bristol (used to be referred to as the 'boiled ham sub'), and to this day it's the best sub I've ever had. I had to go ahead and post this because I was so hyped about how good the sub was I wanted to counter some of the stupidity.

No, the place is not for everyone or every situation. I'd take my wife there on a casual date, but probably wouldn't take my very young kids. Maybe when they're in middle school.

Moon Dog has the casual date / cool place vibe, not the little kid vibe, or the cranky old geezer vibe, or the pretentious wanna-be-a-restaurant-critic vibe.

The place is good. Give it a try. Especially the ham sub. I'm betting it will be successful.(And I almost never bet that on a new restaurant.)

BTW, I'm in no way affiliated.
No Better Blues

Elizabethton, TN

#22 Jul 10, 2011
I have eaten there twice, the first time because it was new, the second time to see if was any better. Well, the second was no better than the first.
Now I'm not saying it was "awful" with burnt this, or doughy this, but it is just not what you'd think it would be. It's average pizza, no better-no worse, than a Little Ceasars, Domino's, PJ's, or others out there. For what you get, it is definitely overpriced. I don't mind spending money, if it is exceptional food. This however, is not.
The wait wasn't to bad, longer than at bella's though. Maybe turn your baking temperatures up. Higher the degree, usually the quicker something bakes. I know at The Bleachers, down in Nashville, the use a brick oven and they run theirs at almost 800 degrees. Let me tell ya, it don't take nearly as long. Even Mellow Mushroom takes less time than here and are a heck of a lot busier; using basically the same style oven.
The staff wasn't "rude" but you can tell they are not good at working with the public. Lack of that ability does come across as rudish. I didn't have a reason to complain, but a couple sitting close by had a problem-I do not know what it was-and it wasn't handled very well. It's as if the staff thinks you're the problem when you have a complaint. Not good examples for the customer to see.
1 thing is obvious, mostly negative reviews right off, then almost as if employee's or owners saw them, and bombarded this thread with "good" reviews to offset them. And whoever "yelled" and cussed a lil bit, it's obvious yur involved deeply with it, but no way to respond to criticism. As like Serious, I looked up your claim...and nothing. Not very nice representation of your company stooping so low, and not even true. Posting on an internet thread leaving proof, may not have been the smartest thing to do.
Anyhow, that's my review. Again, not bad, but not great, just thankful something was on my plate!
local

Knoxville, TN

#25 Jul 11, 2011
Went a couple of weeks ago and it will be my last time - burnt bread sticks and the salad was nasty. The pizzas that others around us got, looked okay though. But the breadsticks and salads were not good at all! I think I will stick with the real Bellas of Abingdon.
pizza pizza

Harrisonburg, VA

#26 Jul 11, 2011
If the food is not properly cooked and I don't eat it Ill be damned if I would pay for it, I would get up and leave the the crap laying on the table. I mean come on you can teach a monkey to make a pizza.
pageantmom

Knoxville, TN

#29 Jul 17, 2011
i think moon dog is pretty good!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Abingdon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
new building 12 min joclo 8
Satanic rituals in the area??? (Jun '13) 15 min joclo 137
Oh yeah (Jun '14) 4 hr Eternal truth 15,681
VCA Highlands Animal Hospital (Mar '10) 6 hr Just wondering 65
Bone Fire Smokehouse - Abingdon? (Dec '11) 6 hr Foodie 2 101
Supervisor Wayne Stevens 6 hr What the funk 4
Ryan prater 11 hr still crying 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Abingdon Mortgages