Washington board of supervisors

Washington board of supervisors

Posted in the Abingdon Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
old timer

Keswick, VA

#1 Nov 2, 2011
we need to stop spending like we have millions to give away time to get rid of the present board members
Just Me

Scottsville, VA

#2 Nov 2, 2011
You are so right !! hey have been office way too long !! Let's get rid of the whole bunch !!
John Doe

Keswick, VA

#3 Nov 3, 2011
we need change all the way from the local level to the state this election next year all the way to the top
Joe

Abingdon, VA

#4 Nov 3, 2011
Giving money to Food City is ridiculous. They are making record profits during a time of economic recession. The taxpayers of Washington County are over-burdened with county spending and debt. I suppose the money given to Food City will help Steve Smith pay for his new home in the Cayman Islands. I'm willing to bet Food City will be sold within five years. Smith is spending less time in Abingdon, and more time at his luxurious island home. Same old story - the 99 percenters giving to the 1 percenters.
John Doe

Keswick, VA

#5 Nov 4, 2011
this board has lost sight of reality we have to stop spending we are going to need new highschools soon lets look ahead stop the give aways
hmmm

New Hope, VA

#6 Nov 6, 2011
Joe wrote:
Giving money to Food City is ridiculous. They are making record profits during a time of economic recession. The taxpayers of Washington County are over-burdened with county spending and debt. I suppose the money given to Food City will help Steve Smith pay for his new home in the Cayman Islands. I'm willing to bet Food City will be sold within five years. Smith is spending less time in Abingdon, and more time at his luxurious island home. Same old story - the 99 percenters giving to the 1 percenters.
So you would prefer KVAT to locate elsewhere & Washington County to lose all the jobs?
Rosie

Keswick, VA

#7 Nov 7, 2011
KVAT would have more to lose than Washington Co. where else could they go to have such large cheap labor source in a non union envirement
Info_Man

Richmond, VA

#8 Nov 7, 2011
Rosie wrote:
KVAT would have more to lose than Washington Co. where else could they go to have such large cheap labor source in a non union envirement
Russell County, Smyth County, Scott County, City of Bristol. I can keep going if you'd like. It sucks to give money to a business but it is a necessary evil to keep a corporation that makes millions of dollars for the county, in the county. Pretty much every business that opens up shop in a locality gets a kick-back from the city/county they open. It's an incentive to keep a money maker here.

But on the topic above, I agree, the board does need to be revamped. There has been some shady practices as of late.
Rosie

Keswick, VA

#9 Nov 7, 2011
yes it is kind like paying protection to a mobster
Joe

Abingdon, VA

#10 Nov 7, 2011
All the indicators are there, KVAT is positioning itself to be sold. I willing to bet that they are sold to Publix within 2-5 years. And Publix is a good operator of grocery stores - high quality and reasonable priced goods.
old timer

Keswick, VA

#11 Nov 7, 2011
Joe you are right on the money with this call
Richard

Bristol, VA

#12 Nov 7, 2011
Joe, you are probably right. I just looked at the Publix website and they have highlighted all of East Tennessee as an area to aquire property for new grocery stores. Publix has three stores planned to be built in Knoxville - in the heart of the Food City's territory. Food City will have a tough time competing against Publix. Maybe you are right, a purchase of Food City could be part of the long-term plan. Steve Smith newly aquired home in the Cayman Islands make this theory even more crediable.
Sally

Bristol, VA

#13 Nov 20, 2011
old timer wrote:
we need to stop spending like we have millions to give away time to get rid of the present board members
Start by getting rid of Dulce Mumpower. She has been the culprit in giving millions of county dollars to Food City. Now, she wants to give them another $1,000,000.00 for their new corporate office. These kinds of gifts to profitable companies are ridiculious. The county needs to save for a rainy day fund.
Joe Smith

Keswick, VA

#14 Nov 22, 2011
Lets hope the new board has the courage to reverse the purchase of the Alpha building and the gift to King and Kvat
Joe

Abingdon, VA

#15 Nov 23, 2011
Joe Smith wrote:
Lets hope the new board has the courage to reverse the purchase of the Alpha building and the gift to King and Kvat
Joe - you are so right about the gift to King College. We do not need another medical school. The medical school at ETSU is struggling with finances and serves the SW Virginia community, as well as Eastern Tennessee. SW Virginia students receive in-state tuition at ETSU and another medical school (so close) is going to place a financial burden on the community. For many years I have been a supporter of Dulcie Mumpower, however, she has allowed county spending to get out of hand. If she does not reverse some decisions after the first of the year, I'm going to vote for a Democrat. She is making the Republican Party look bad wirh her poor spending decisions. The county can not afford to spend money it does not have.....including subsidizing a profitable company.
Jerry

Jonesborough, TN

#16 Nov 23, 2011
Joe wrote:
Giving money to Food City is ridiculous. They are making record profits during a time of economic recession. The taxpayers of Washington County are over-burdened with county spending and debt. I suppose the money given to Food City will help Steve Smith pay for his new home in the Cayman Islands. I'm willing to bet Food City will be sold within five years. Smith is spending less time in Abingdon, and more time at his luxurious island home. Same old story - the 99 percenters giving to the 1 percenters.
Not to mention the helicopter he bought!
Jerry

Jonesborough, TN

#17 Nov 23, 2011
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Joe - you are so right about the gift to King College. We do not need another medical school. The medical school at ETSU is struggling with finances and serves the SW Virginia community, as well as Eastern Tennessee. SW Virginia students receive in-state tuition at ETSU and another medical school (so close) is going to place a financial burden on the community. For many years I have been a supporter of Dulcie Mumpower, however, she has allowed county spending to get out of hand. If she does not reverse some decisions after the first of the year, I'm going to vote for a Democrat. She is making the Republican Party look bad wirh her poor spending decisions. The county can not afford to spend money it does not have.....including subsidizing a profitable company.
In addition she backed a Democrat candidate!
Jerry

Jonesborough, TN

#18 Nov 23, 2011
Sally wrote:
<quoted text>
Start by getting rid of Dulce Mumpower. She has been the culprit in giving millions of county dollars to Food City. Now, she wants to give them another $1,000,000.00 for their new corporate office. These kinds of gifts to profitable companies are ridiculious. The county needs to save for a rainy day fund.
No more spending and no rainy day fund. Live on what you have like I do!
Jerry

Jonesborough, TN

#19 Nov 23, 2011
Joe Smith wrote:
Lets hope the new board has the courage to reverse the purchase of the Alpha building and the gift to King and Kvat
Should have elected one more Republican!
Jerry

Jonesborough, TN

#20 Nov 23, 2011
John Doe wrote:
we need change all the way from the local level to the state this election next year all the way to the top
Agreed, but why are two of the key players in Washington County still there!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Abingdon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Oh yeah (Jun '14) 7 min GodSmacked 61,024
Words and Phrases that I Hate 2 hr Lostndarkness 28
browns pantry (May '12) 2 hr Gobble gobble 96
holiday help 4 hr Saying 21
Fat mans drug friend 4 hr Cheap healthcare 2
Wednesday Morning Ian Lane Fat Man Thread 10 hr Cheap Healthcare 6
Troubled Ollie and her “guests” 13 hr Who knows 2

Abingdon Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Abingdon Mortgages