bristol herald courier
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jenny

Murfreesboro, TN

#1 Feb 3, 2010
has anyone ever ran a route for bristol herald courier?
concerned2000

Hodgenville, KY

#2 Feb 3, 2010
Yep, If you have'nt, don't you will have no days off
Standupforwhatis right

Fort Collins, CO

#3 Feb 4, 2010
Um, I wouldn't be so sure...My husband and I live pretty far off the beaten path. We ordered the BHC for Sundays only. Apparently, our delivery person didn't work Sundays, Mondays, or Tuesdays, because we always got our Sunday paper on Wednesdays. It was worthless to us by then, so we finally (after a lot of hassle dealing with BHC) cancelled.
crazy

Johnson City, TN

#4 Feb 4, 2010
Standupforwhatisright wrote:
Um, I wouldn't be so sure...My husband and I live pretty far off the beaten path. We ordered the BHC for Sundays only. Apparently, our delivery person didn't work Sundays, Mondays, or Tuesdays, because we always got our Sunday paper on Wednesdays. It was worthless to us by then, so we finally (after a lot of hassle dealing with BHC) cancelled.
Our carrier is the same way & im a local road. If it is one drop of snow he will not deliver but the mailman still comes by. go figure.
concerned2000

Hodgenville, KY

#5 Feb 4, 2010
Well let put it different, When I delivered the paper I only miss one customer in three years, and snow was over the hood of the truck. If it gets cloudy some can't deliver.
Jenny

Murfreesboro, TN

#6 Feb 4, 2010
Well I have been doing a route in Abingdon for a month now, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Half the customers pay the carrier and the other half pay the office...really just screwing the carrier. Because half the people who are suppose to pay don't and what's even worse is my route is in the richest neighborhood in Abingdon...Winterham and the Country Club. 38 people have not paid for their paper this month in those subdivisions. So, this month I am making 4 something an hour after taking out gas. Oh and if you don't throw the paper exactly where the residents want it they call and complain taking $1 off my pay.
crazy

Johnson City, TN

#7 Feb 5, 2010
Jenny wrote:
Well I have been doing a route in Abingdon for a month now, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Half the customers pay the carrier and the other half pay the office...really just screwing the carrier. Because half the people who are suppose to pay don't and what's even worse is my route is in the richest neighborhood in Abingdon...Winterham and the Country Club. 38 people have not paid for their paper this month in those subdivisions. So, this month I am making 4 something an hour after taking out gas. Oh and if you don't throw the paper exactly where the residents want it they call and complain taking $1 off my pay.
They get by with deducting the pay because the papers not in the right place. They should have to put up a box and it should be put in it. Thats crazy. I pay my carrier 6 months or a year at a time. I thought once about deducting for all the papers i didn't get by just got over it.
crazy

Johnson City, TN

#8 Feb 5, 2010
If they pay the office do you still get your pay for it? Sometimes the Courier is set up at Food City and different places offering a discount does that discount go on your part? That doesnt sound like a good setup.
Jenny

Murfreesboro, TN

#9 Feb 5, 2010
I was told when I started that either I would end up owing bhc or they would owe me a check at the end of each month. Out of my 270 customers, only 90 are carrier collect. So, 180 are office pay. They just informed me yesterday that I don't owe them and they don't owe me even when I don't get all my payments mailed to me. So, when I should have received around 800 dollars this month, I have only received 520 dollars because 38 have not paid me. BHC says that they can't help that and will not be paying me for those who have not paid. Therefore, BHC has a dirty way of doing business by screwing their employees. In fact, this is my second job that I work before going into my 8 hr day. My boss told me that he will find someone who is really struggling to take this job. Isn't that even more sad...to put someone who needs to put food on the table for their family and averaging out only $5 per hour?
future Carrier

Murfreesboro, TN

#10 Feb 7, 2011
does anyone else feel the same way ? Or know anything else that may help some one who is thinking about taking a route make a wise decision?
spud1965

Greeneville, TN

#11 Feb 9, 2011
I have been doing it now for two years and really have not had any problems. This biggest thing for me is having to replace the breaks and tires on my vehicle about every six months which of course cuts into your profit. It's like any other job it's what you make it. If you want to find things to complain about you can, but if you want to make a profit you can do that as well. As for the comment about not getting the paper delivered but the mail man did go figure, the mail man don't deliver at 3:00 AM in the morning when nothing has been done to the snow and ice covered roads.
Dead Trees

Ashburn, VA

#12 Feb 10, 2011
Do people still read newspapers made out of dead trees in 2011? Lordy.
just me

United States

#13 Feb 10, 2011
I ran one a couple of years ago, and for me it just wasn't worth the hassle. By the time you learn all the ropes the hard way, because noone down there really helps with any questions, they just pass you from one person to the next hoping you will go away, and figure what you spend on vehicle maintenence, and fuel, you will make very little profit.
I suppose it may be better than nothing at all if you are totally barely scraping by. Also you are NOT an employee, you are a contractor, so if you get a crappy route where you have a lot of non-pays, you owe them at the end of the month. The contract is several pages of ways to rip you off if they should decide they want to.
They make it sound grand but it is all hype, I personally would not recommend it.
spud1965

Greeneville, TN

#14 Feb 11, 2011
My route was not great at first and I thought at times what have I got myself into. However for me once I learned my route and got to know my customers I found that its not all that bad. They are still things that are frustrating like no days off,bundle hauler being late,and getting up at 2:30 AM in the morning, but there are negatives with most any job. I have 100 customers that pay me and another 100 that pay the office. After paying for my gas my profit is about $1200.00 per month. Not too bad for 2 1/2 hours work every night. Plus I have received about $800.00 in tips the past two years at Christmas. I also have a full time day job. In my opinion some people just do not want to work. They complain about there being no jobs but the fact is there are no jobs that they like or no jobs that are convenient for them. There are jobs if you look hard enough and are willing to work.
carrier

United States

#15 Feb 19, 2011
I have been a carrier for BHC for almost 2 years now. It has it's pros and cons just like any other job. These customers that complain about their paper being late when it snows well I would love to see you get out there on slick icy roads at 2:00 in the morning trying to stop at these paper boxes on slick roads. I have waded in snow just to make sure the paper was where it was suppose to be. Just because your road is clear doesn't mean all the roads on the route are clear. So before you start finding all the negative things about your carrier maybe you need to stop and give them a simple thank you for risking their life on bad roads to deliver your paper that you can read in 5 minutes because it is so thin! Who do you think pays for the papers that you don't pay for?? It's us (the carriers)! So please have common courtesy to cancel the paper if you have no intentions on paying for it. Would you like for someone to beat you out of money? And just remember we are NOT required to bring your paper right to your door; it's a courtesy!!
Bobby

Antioch, TN

#16 Jul 26, 2011
Jenny wrote:
has anyone ever ran a route for bristol herald courier?
I ran a paper route in Abingdon. Half didn't pay and the rest I could not catch at home. Any profit I made went to the people who didn't pay. Sometimes I made 6 or more trips to a customer. It was not worth the it.
beatrice

United States

#17 Nov 27, 2012
Well I would not buy their nasty paper, they are very dirty people to deal with. They have their favorites and they will let you go in a heartbeat if you stand up to them. Well all dogs have their days and these people will to. Good luck and i will tell everyone I see how bad you are and not to take your paper. Good luck with the internet being so much more than your paper.
Curious

United States

#18 Dec 3, 2012
I signed up for a route that the DM had been running for over 2 months & he was very eager to get rid of. I was crazy enough to accept. He made it sound easy, & like I would be making around $900 a month. Well that did not happen. I paid them to work, by the time I put gas in the car every night. It also was very Physical. I had a total of 3 paper boxes,I had several customers that were very picky over the placement of the paper. Some wanted 2 bags & no rubber bands. Some wanted it brought to the door & placed behind the screen door. Just a bunch of none sense. This was my 2nd job. They deduct the cost of bags, rubber bands & etc. from your pay.(not to mention when I ran my route, half of the rubber bands had gotten dry rotten & would break very easily) More money for them & dangerous to the carrier. Since you are a contractor you, are no responsibility of theirs. No one ever tipped. customers that hadn't paid in months & was still being dropped a paper. I took 3 months of straightening it out, & by this time, the route of actual customers dropped to making about $300 a month & then I was turning around & putting $10-$15 a night in gas so Again I was loosing money!! When I brought this up to the DM he said I could take the customers to court to try to get the money. We are talking about taking 15-20 people to court for $15 a month & back pay. Just not worth all the time & hassle. Another thing is if you dont put in a 30 day notice they will fine you $1200. So once you sign those papers you are in it for at least 30 days unless you want to owe them even more. I totally agree a job is what you make of it, but they have this carrier job set up for there benefit & could care less about anyone. BTW when my route dropped in customers, they were not even into helping me get more people on my route. I even trained & substituted the route until they had someone new sign over the papers. I never saw that pay!! I would NEVER, EVER do it again!!
Nancy Grace

Charlottesville, VA

#19 Dec 3, 2012
BHCC succks and DM's as well: anything to soak the working woman/man. Please support and tip your carrier!! Merry Christmas
R U FKN CRAZY

Lebanon, VA

#20 Dec 3, 2012
Nancy Grace wrote:
BHCC succks and DM's as well: anything to soak the working woman/man. Please support and tip your carrier!! Merry Christmas
Tip the newspaper carrier-----that's bullshit. You might get a small Christmas present if you've done your job adequately. So, I suppose you think we should tip the mail carrier, the UPS & Fed EX people too??????

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Abingdon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Best hair salon in Abingdon (Jul '10) 1 min Rebel63 95
Oh yeah (Jun '14) 1 hr Common-Senses 29,556
VHCC Football 2 hr 67Camaro 6
BVU Stacy Pomerenke Thread Removed???? (Feb '16) 9 hr Winner 509
therapy boy , jb, rb Fri Therapy Boy 9
Abingdon moose Thu Rev Donnie Hoskin... 56
Louie's Sweetshop (Apr '11) Thu Rev Donnie Hoskin... 41

Abingdon Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance