bats and balls

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

Baseball has officially began in Abingdon. So many disgruntled ex-ball players lately I am surprised there are parents that are willing to subject their children to the abuse. Got any stories to share? Anything you want to say but always been afraid to say? Lets start a conversation.
Spock

Bristol, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

No - not about BB but apparently you do, so let's hear it. What ya got?
data

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

No one can say. Afraid of coaches.
Spock

Bristol, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

Why? Are they gonna hit you with a bat or something? Spill it, that's what wrong with Abingdon now - everybody just settles and does nothing to change the bad things.
Abingdon Native

Kingsport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Spock wrote:
Why? Are they gonna hit you with a bat or something? Spill it, that's what wrong with Abingdon now - everybody just settles and does nothing to change the bad things.
I agree-if there's something wrong, we need to know so it can be fixed. So either speak up or shut up. I always thought Mark Fransisco was a good coach. Am I wrong?
been there

Jonesborough, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

There is corruption in all Ahs sports. And yes everyone is afraid of retaliation towards their child!
Team Player

Low Moor, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

There is NO "I" in team!
Coaches make it very clear that if you do not work for a position you will not get that position. In ANY sport.
Why in the world would you want EVERYTHING handed to your child?
Baseball Parent

Low Moor, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Great job against John Battle on Saturday. Good Luck Falcons!
Who you know

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2013

Abingdon Native wrote:
<quoted text> I agree-if there's something wrong, we need to know so it can be fixed. So either speak up or shut up. I always thought Mark Fransisco was a good coach. Am I wrong?
There are some good coaches at AHS, but there are some who if your kid isn't from an elite family in Abingdon, will never see playing time even if they deserve to. This starts in Little League, as so many dad are trying to relive their childhoods through their kids. They play daddy ball, while kids who are better sit on the bench. It's not what you know, it's who you know.
Another Parent

Stanleytown, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2013

Who you know wrote:
<quoted text>
There are some good coaches at AHS, but there are some who if your kid isn't from an elite family in Abingdon, will never see playing time even if they deserve to. This starts in Little League, as so many dad are trying to relive their childhoods through their kids. They play daddy ball, while kids who are better sit on the bench. It's not what you know, it's who you know.
Awwwww "Daddy Ball" brought up again.
How you play

Marion, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

I am so sick and tired of parents saying AHS is full of politics. I was not from a rich family by no means but I found a way to play and have a lot of success at AHS. If your child is not good enough he/she will not and should not play. teach your kids to work harder not stub up and blame some one for their lack of playing time. Coach Francisco and Coach Hungate will play the best 9 players no matter what the income of their parents is. Abingdon parents are the worst for blaming and name calling and I am sick of it. If you child is not good enough to play a sport wake up and see that. There are other things to do in this world (band, spelling bee's, swimming etc...)and there is nothing wrong with any of those!
Frankly

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

How you play wrote:
I am so sick and tired of parents saying AHS is full of politics. I was not from a rich family by no means but I found a way to play and have a lot of success at AHS. If your child is not good enough he/she will not and should not play. teach your kids to work harder not stub up and blame some one for their lack of playing time. Coach Francisco and Coach Hungate will play the best 9 players no matter what the income of their parents is. Abingdon parents are the worst for blaming and name calling and I am sick of it. If you child is not good enough to play a sport wake up and see that. There are other things to do in this world (band, spelling bee's, swimming etc...)and there is nothing wrong with any of those!
Let them get pressure from over their heads and see if the best nine play. Same with all coaches
Abingdon Native

Kingsport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2013

How you play wrote:
Well Said! If these parents with work with their kids and quit bitching, the kids might have a chance!
FALCON

Bristol, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

I can tell you that the 9 best don't start for AHS baseball. No way is Marks boy one of the best nine.
Falcon Mom

Low Moor, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Mark's son must be pretty good, there was a great article in the paper about his playing ability in the paper.
That guy

Abingdon, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Listen FALCON you have no idea what you are saying. Marks boy is easily the best second baseman in that program. And yes Falcon mom is right, he clearly is good because he went 3-4 with 3 rbis in that game. You think you know what youre talking about but you don't. I can promise you that.
That guy

Abingdon, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

FALCON wrote:
I can tell you that the 9 best don't start for AHS baseball. No way is Marks boy one of the best nine.
Listen FALCON you have no idea what you are saying. Marks boy is easily the best second baseman in that program. And yes Falcon mom is right, he clearly is good because he went 3-4 with 3 rbis in that game. You think you know what youre talking about but you don't. I can promise you that.
That guy

Abingdon, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Frankly wrote:
<quoted text>
Let them get pressure from over their heads and see if the best nine play. Same with all coaches
and you to. shut the hell up. you should see the parents that program has right now.
Abingdon Native

Kingsport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Mark's son looks like he's gonna be really an outstanding player, from what I've seen of him. If they have a better second baseman sitting on the bench, the kid should be playing in college.
Truth

Old Fort, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

The truth is we will never know if there is a better 2nd baseman on the team. He is a great kid. Given enough opportunity to play thru failure can greatly benefit any player and he will always have that opportunity.

Is there a better second baseman on the team, maybe.

Let's just be honest about other things as well. Disgruntled parents can cause problems and misrepresent the situation. Sometimes they can shed a light on problems. There are both situations in existence here.

Those so adamently defending the kid and coaches obviously have strong feelings. However, there are some parents that know their sons will never get the opportunity to fail that hus son has and will conrinue to receive. If you set back and take time to analyze the situation and got the honest opinion of the parents they would have to admit my point.

My heart goes out to a couple of good kids and potentially good ball players that aren't getting the opportunity to fail and receive another opportunity, or aren't getting opportunity at all.

The final truth us that you could take the bottom 5 players on that team and send them to almost any other local school and they would be major contributors. Here we will never know.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Abingdon Discussions

Search the Abingdon Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
women beware of this man 5 hr 3Pack 10
Abingdon people suck . 5 hr Timmy 11
Scannerfood (Nov '13) 10 hr who 18
lemon from pioneer chevrolet (Jan '13) 13 hr Satsfied 42
Abingdon 4th fireworks 19 hr Josh 1
Next AHS Football Coach Tue FORMER COACH 182
dog kennels Tue Pet lover 2
JMH Rumor Tue Oh my 4
•••