Abingdon Football
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Lost in Falcon Land

Greensboro, NC

#1 Nov 9, 2009
I attended the Abingdon/Marion football game at Marion on Friday night. Marion handed it to us once again. I wished the Falcon players played with the heart and emotion that the Marion team does. I think it is a shame we have almost 200 more students than Marion does yet we hardly ecer beat them. Marion`s fans have us beat and excitement and energy as well. I`m not bashing our boys but I believe we could do better than this!
Its Abingdon

Bristol, VA

#2 Nov 11, 2009
Abingdon kids have better things to do! Why care enough to practice and develop during the off season like kids from other high schools do? Abingdon kids just don't appear to care. You can see it when there are so few kids playing and when the student section consists of 10-15 kids (if it's not to cold or rainy). I agree there is no excuse for a school of Abingdon's size to have such dismal showings during most sports events. With exception to a hand full of kids, they just don't have the heart and desire that it takes to be competitors with student athletes that give a darn. Falcon Awesome, huh.
1 Abingdon Res

Johnson City, TN

#3 Nov 13, 2009
No kidding, a few years ago Abingdon was undefeated well into the football season and I never saw the first sign in town cheering them on nothing in the local paper. To be such a small town it is pathetic, our school spirit. I work in Russell County and they put us to shame with their school spirit, the whole town is involved in homecoming.
fan
#4 Nov 13, 2009
Abingdon is made up of a lot of transplants from other areas--no real home town pride there..
Most of all

Abingdon, VA

#5 Nov 14, 2009
Abingdon has too many people from Grundy is the reason. And the ones with there nose in the air. The kids are too lazy the good football players don't even play.
outsider

Clintwood, VA

#6 Nov 18, 2009
I'm not sure where it all went wrong, but I'd imagine the kids don't have much of a reason to want to play. The overwhelming feeling in this town, that I get anyway, is they'd rather party with their friends here before they go to college to party with new kids. What needs to happen is either the school hires a new coach that will run a strict program and work these boys in the ground so they can see what its like to earn recognition. If the program wants the town to get behind them, they have to prove they care and have some pride. The only people that can change the perception of the team is the team itself. Look at the Gate City's and Richlands's of the area, their common element is they play hard and work as a group, then the town came along. Everyone wants to be apart of something successful, call them bandwagon or what have you, towns are the same way.
whatever

Nashville, TN

#7 Nov 18, 2009
Most of all wrote:
Abingdon has too many people from Grundy is the reason. And the ones with there nose in the air. The kids are too lazy the good football players don't even play.
So Grundy is to blame??? I find that VERY FUNNY! You must be one of those people who don't go to the games. Of the people that are actually cheering at the games, and getting behind the team, most are originally from Grundy.

Yes I am originally from Grundy! I was at most ballgames (including away games), supporting "my team". Were you??

My spouse and I both work, we pay taxes in this county, shop in this county, and our kids go to school in this county. I have just as much right to be here as anyone else. The only thing that differs me from some others in this area is one things -(1) I don't look down my nose at others nor do I think I am better than anyone.
Lost in Falcon Land

Greensboro, NC

#8 Nov 19, 2009
whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
So Grundy is to blame??? I find that VERY FUNNY! You must be one of those people who don't go to the games. Of the people that are actually cheering at the games, and getting behind the team, most are originally from Grundy.
Yes I am originally from Grundy! I was at most ballgames (including away games), supporting "my team". Were you??
My spouse and I both work, we pay taxes in this county, shop in this county, and our kids go to school in this county. I have just as much right to be here as anyone else. The only thing that differs me from some others in this area is one things -(1) I don't look down my nose at others nor do I think I am better than anyone.
Great post whatever, I agree with you 100 percent.
Concerned in A-Town

Richmond, VA

#9 Nov 19, 2009
Abingdon is an elitest Town with the idea that two many equals too little. Too many players, then my kid doesn't play enough, doesn't get the spotlight enough, they don't want numbers. That want to tell you they want numbers to make it look like their kid was the best out of 100, when in fact, there are better athletes walking the halls of that high school that half of the athletes playing on that field.

In one way they want to brag about the youth participating in programs, and in another they want to limit the involvement and weed them out early.

On the football note I find in completely pitiful that the coach does not allow the JV players (or at least the 9th graders) to dress with the team for home games. Really trying to get them excited aren't we! By into the program but sit in the stands because you haven't yet earned the right to dress with the big boys. TYou would be surprised how many players they lose to baseball, basketball and footbal beasue of the lack of involvement. They play and practice baseball pretty much year round. They play basketball pretty much year round. Think they lose interest. I think they should dress for home and away games, but at a minimum for the home games.
Call it the Dirty 30, call it whatever you want, but the fact is that most of the 9th grade boys don't even show up for the games to watch from the stands. You want a program, then get kids involved and get them excited. I don't want to hear that we have over 100 players participating in the program from 8th grade up. I want to see them on the sidelines, geting excited and caring.

I have the solution, get the AD to schedule a game in Florida. Maybe the parents and players might get excited over that one. Raise some money and take a vacation. Seems to work for basketball.

The school and WCSB should put a stop to the Falcon Awesome chant. They should go ahead and say what they really wantF*($&*^@ Awesome. That is where that come from. From a distance, sounds like that is what they are sayng anyway. Just don't see any standup christian coaches in basketball and football. I say fire them all. Start over.

Since: Sep 09

Abingdon, Va

#10 Nov 19, 2009
I don't think it's laziness or apathy on the part of the kids so much as that they (hopefully) are focusing on their studies instead of football. The requirements necessary to graduate are much more stringent than they were 20 years ago. Personally, I'd much prefer the kids concentrate on learning instead of sports. Far too much money is allocated inappropriately in my opinion.
Modernize Abingdon

Abingdon, VA

#11 Nov 20, 2009
Concerned in A-Town wrote:
Abingdon is an elitest Town with the idea that two many equals too little. Too many players, then my kid doesn't play enough, doesn't get the spotlight enough, they don't want numbers. That want to tell you they want numbers to make it look like their kid was the best out of 100, when in fact, there are better athletes walking the halls of that high school that half of the athletes playing on that field.
In one way they want to brag about the youth participating in programs, and in another they want to limit the involvement and weed them out early.
On the football note I find in completely pitiful that the coach does not allow the JV players (or at least the 9th graders) to dress with the team for home games. Really trying to get them excited aren't we! By into the program but sit in the stands because you haven't yet earned the right to dress with the big boys. TYou would be surprised how many players they lose to baseball, basketball and footbal beasue of the lack of involvement. They play and practice baseball pretty much year round. They play basketball pretty much year round. Think they lose interest. I think they should dress for home and away games, but at a minimum for the home games.
Call it the Dirty 30, call it whatever you want, but the fact is that most of the 9th grade boys don't even show up for the games to watch from the stands. You want a program, then get kids involved and get them excited. I don't want to hear that we have over 100 players participating in the program from 8th grade up. I want to see them on the sidelines, geting excited and caring.
I have the solution, get the AD to schedule a game in Florida. Maybe the parents and players might get excited over that one. Raise some money and take a vacation. Seems to work for basketball.
The school and WCSB should put a stop to the Falcon Awesome chant. They should go ahead and say what they really wantF*($&*^@ Awesome. That is where that come from. From a distance, sounds like that is what they are sayng anyway. Just don't see any standup christian coaches in basketball and football. I say fire them all. Start over.
Imagine that another uninformed observer of a Abingon High sports program. Why should they reward all the kids that show up late to practice, that miss practice because of detention or that just don't participate in practice at all? Why give them the chance to say, "Yeah I dressed Friday."
A lot of those kids aren't out there because they want to be, they are there because mom or dad made them. As a former coach in another state, I would have rather had 16 kids that did everything right and worked hard than 75-100 and still only have 16 kids that do everything right. A coach doesn't want to or need's to deal with kids on a daily basis that only try out to make themselves popular.
As for the trip to Florida, I am sure the AD would be glad to allow them to go to Florida and play. It would be a wonderful experience. But, you see all the fundraising the football team does goes to pay for the Chic-Fil-a Bowl tickets for the seniors and the coaches. So they have the money its weather the coach will take them. So DON'T put it on the AD. He is probably the best AD the high school has had in a long time. Don't hate on him because he does something for his team.
Just another uninformed observer.
outsider

Clintwood, VA

#12 Nov 20, 2009
Modernize Abingdon wrote:
<quoted text>
Imagine that another uninformed observer of a Abingon High sports program. Why should they reward all the kids that show up late to practice, that miss practice because of detention or that just don't participate in practice at all? Why give them the chance to say, "Yeah I dressed Friday."
A lot of those kids aren't out there because they want to be, they are there because mom or dad made them. As a former coach in another state, I would have rather had 16 kids that did everything right and worked hard than 75-100 and still only have 16 kids that do everything right. A coach doesn't want to or need's to deal with kids on a daily basis that only try out to make themselves popular.
As for the trip to Florida, I am sure the AD would be glad to allow them to go to Florida and play. It would be a wonderful experience. But, you see all the fundraising the football team does goes to pay for the Chic-Fil-a Bowl tickets for the seniors and the coaches. So they have the money its weather the coach will take them. So DON'T put it on the AD. He is probably the best AD the high school has had in a long time. Don't hate on him because he does something for his team.
Just another uninformed observer.
I agree, its a lot easier to have a small group of dedicated players than a large bunch who don't care. I'm not sure if the younger kids would want to be jersey hangers on the sidelines, but if that would excite them it can't be that bad of an idea, excitement's something they could use. And, the Falcon Awesome thing is quite lame, I'm surprised the people here chant it. I mean they roll up the town at 9 pm and want it to remain historic to the extent its ridiculas, but I guess that makes them Falcon Awesome....
well you dont say

Scottsville, VA

#13 Dec 16, 2009
Just my opinion, mind you, but I think AHS is too big. smaller schools mean more students can participate. classrooms are too crowded, hallways are too crowded, lunchroom is toooooo crowded. this means some students will be left behind, in the classroom and in sports. redistricting could help in more ways than one.
well you dont say

Scottsville, VA

#14 Dec 16, 2009
Oh, and the football coach is a christian, who trully cares about the boys, on and off the field. good character is important and he tries to instill this in those kids, from what I have seen.

Since: Dec 09

vansant

#15 Dec 16, 2009
marion has the rudest fans i have ever seen. at last falcon vs hurricanes game the falcon fans were egged... how nice
ya right

Bristol, VA

#16 Dec 16, 2009
please, these kids at abingdon couldn't handle a strict coach. they ran that other one out of town a couple years ago. they cried to their mommies and daddies, quit on their teammates, and overall had a bad attitude.
these kids better realize that in college their coach isn't going to care who they are, who their parents are, or where they are from... that is if they play in college. i would be willing to bet they would give up within the first couple weeks b/c they couldn't handle it.
richy

Wagener, SC

#17 Dec 17, 2009
well you dont say wrote:
Just my opinion, mind you, but I think AHS is too big. smaller schools mean more students can participate. classrooms are too crowded, hallways are too crowded, lunchroom is toooooo crowded. this means some students will be left behind, in the classroom and in sports. redistricting could help in more ways than one.
Perhaps students need to be made attend the school that is in the district where they live. Are you aware that parents bring their kids to AHS from other school districts. This also happens at some of the elementary schools. This is part of the reason there is an over crowding problem

You are correct about the lunch rooms being too crowded. They have three lunch periods ar AHS and everyone is crowded. I haveheard first hands kids saying they do not have time to eat their lunch.

Overcrowding isn't the only problem in the schools. Another problem is that certain people are more highly thought of than others because of their social standing. Each and every student needs equal opportunity, but that does not happen because special treatment is given to some because of who mommy and daddy are or how much money they have.
Concerned Parent

Paducah, KY

#18 Dec 17, 2009
As a former AHS grad. it is commonly known that athletes don't get to play based on athletic ability its mostly based on how much their parents kiss a$$ to the coaches UNLESS they are really really good like Tyrone Brown, Jamie Harless just to name a few during my day. As well as the quality of coaches they have most of the time and if they have a coach that is hard and pushes the kids they whine and their parents get them fired. Being disciplined is one thing but these days from what I see the teachers at AHS party as much or more with the kids and/or with the kids. one teacher was just well known for dating a recentgraduate that was in her class and another teacher who transfered from another school and had an affair with a students mother. Until the parents in the community stand up and stop letting money and suck up parents run the schools and their kids..then shut up. Abingdon is a political town and other communities have a poor opinion of AHS kids. I sat at JSB vs AHS game and the sportmanship from AHS was embarrassing. The problems with SOME not all AHS kids they do not have to earn their spot there parents can buy it, brown nose it, or bribe it. Thats the problem to many whiny spoiled boys. Its nice to see a team like Richlands, Grundy, Lee County and so on who eat and breathe a sport and dedicate to it and show AHS what being a true athlete is about...some know there but very few.
whocares

Brentwood, TN

#19 Feb 17, 2010
Really? It's high school football.
totio

Blountville, TN

#20 Mar 23, 2010
need to get new coaches

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Abingdon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Oh yeah (Jun '14) 19 min Quills 36,729
Moonlight Theater 1 hr Rolling my eyes 12
Alia Danielle Oakes 5 hr Lol 1
Highlands Trailer Park on Westinghouse Road 5 hr curious 352
The blonde driving the sliver VW beetle 8 hr Red 9
Commissioner of Revenue arrested - David Henry 8 hr Dunce 10
"Oh Yeah" thread is STUPID 8 hr Eternal truth 164

Abingdon Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance