Washington County taxpayers borrow 1....

Washington County taxpayers borrow 1.65 million to give to Food CIty.

Posted in the Abingdon Forum

Meadowview Resident

Troy, VA

#1 Oct 26, 2011
According to the Bristol Herald Courier the Washington County Board of Supervisors wants to borrow $9.6 million dollars. Of that they want to give Food City/KVAT a $1 million cash incentive, plus a $650,000 tax credit. That's over $30 for every man, woman, and child in Washington county.
If you don't think you should pull $30 out of your pocket and just hand it it Steve Smith, you need to speak up. Mr. Smith is trying to buy a spot in the Virginia legislature by running Israel O'Quinn for Delegate. For some reason there is no Democratic challenger. If you think there is something wrong with this picture, on election day write in "Bullshit" for your delegate. It's secret and no one will ever know. Let's see how much "Bullshit" we can spread.
old timer

Keswick, VA

#2 Oct 26, 2011
I do not think that they should be allowed to borrow that much money with out a referendum
Capitalist

Ashburn, VA

#3 Oct 26, 2011
Meadowview Resident wrote:
According to the Bristol Herald Courier the Washington County Board of Supervisors wants to borrow $9.6 million dollars. Of that they want to give Food City/KVAT a $1 million cash incentive, plus a $650,000 tax credit. That's over $30 for every man, woman, and child in Washington county.
If you don't think you should pull $30 out of your pocket and just hand it it Steve Smith, you need to speak up. Mr. Smith is trying to buy a spot in the Virginia legislature by running Israel O'Quinn for Delegate. For some reason there is no Democratic challenger. If you think there is something wrong with this picture, on election day write in "Bullshit" for your delegate. It's secret and no one will ever know. Let's see how much "Bullshit" we can spread.
$30 ain't that much to me, and Food City is a great company to have here. Why are you against free enterprise? Capitalism Rules! You must be smelly hippie communist. Go hit your bong and leave the rest of us alone!
Meadowview Resident

Troy, VA

#4 Oct 28, 2011
Capitalist wrote:
<quoted text>
$30 ain't that much to me
good for you, but if you were a family of 4 that is having a hard time making their mortgage that would be $120.00. If you were a senior living on a fixed income it could be your medication.
and Food City is a great company to have here.
so, should every good business in Washington County get a million cash? What about Kroger, Food Country, and Food Lion? There tax dollars are going directly to the competition.
Why are you against free enterprise?
I'm not. Not sure what form of free enterprise you studied that had private business being subsidized by the government. From a strictly free enterprise point, this is really a bad example. Did everyone that was considering developing the old hospital site know it came with a 1.65 million windfall. Food City is not a small start up company but instead a large corporation that should pay their fare share and not taking from the taxpayers pocket.
Capitalism Rules! You must be smelly hippie communist

No matter what the system, if corruption is at the top it will fail. A public meeting that was only marginally advertised does seem to morally smell of corruption if not legally.
Go hit your bong and leave the rest of us alone!
K
Capitalist

Ashburn, VA

#5 Oct 28, 2011
so, should every good business in Washington County get a million cash? What about Kroger, Food Country, and Food Lion? There tax dollars are going directly to the competition.
If they are employing as many people in Washington County as Food City does and have their headquarters here, then sure.

Folks complain all day long about the lack of jobs in the area, but then have a very negative attitude towards keeping businesses here. If it was my company, I'd probably move the heck out of the "Commonwealth" over into Tennessee, they seem to have a much better supply of common sense and appreciate the good that businesses do for the area.
Capitalist

Ashburn, VA

#6 Oct 28, 2011
good for you, but if you were a family of 4 that is having a hard time making their mortgage that would be $120.00. If you were a senior living on a fixed income it could be your medication.
I was being a bit of a hippie smart ass when I said $30 wasn't that much to me, as the person who started this thread was being disingenuous by implying that it was $30 per person. You hippie need to learn more about taxes and math. Nobody is going up to my grannies and asking them for thirty dollar or else. Most of the revenue in Washington County comes from property taxes and speeding tickets, so the people that own the big houses by the golf courses and drive around going 57 in a 35 zone all day long will be paying the tax increases, granny won't even see it.
Tax Payer

Jonesborough, TN

#7 Oct 28, 2011
Capitalist wrote:
<quoted text>
I was being a bit of a hippie smart ass when I said $30 wasn't that much to me, as the person who started this thread was being disingenuous by implying that it was $30 per person. You hippie need to learn more about taxes and math. Nobody is going up to my grannies and asking them for thirty dollar or else. Most of the revenue in Washington County comes from property taxes and speeding tickets, so the people that own the big houses by the golf courses and drive around going 57 in a 35 zone all day long will be paying the tax increases, granny won't even see it.
You sound just like the stupidity that is running this county.Steve Smith is a crook and all he cares about is what he can gain from it.He has our county goverment in his back pocket.The rich get richer and the poor pay for it all.
Capitalist

Ashburn, VA

#8 Oct 28, 2011
Tax Payer wrote:
<quoted text> You sound just like the stupidity that is running this county.Steve Smith is a crook and all he cares about is what he can gain from it.He has our county goverment in his back pocket.The rich get richer and the poor pay for it all.
With an attitude like that, maybe you should start a grocery store chain or something and hire a few thousand people to work for you.
Tax Payer

Jonesborough, TN

#9 Oct 28, 2011
Capitalist wrote:
<quoted text>
With an attitude like that, maybe you should start a grocery store chain or something and hire a few thousand people to work for you.
Bet I would do it honest too.He don't.
Steve

Ashburn, VA

#10 Oct 28, 2011
Tax Payer wrote:
<quoted text>Bet I would do it honest too.He don't.
As if. You are probably on nine kinds of welfare and living off my taxes.
Area Business

Elizabethton, TN

#11 Oct 28, 2011
Steve wrote:
<quoted text>
As if. You are probably on nine kinds of welfare and living off my taxes.
Tapayer is dead on correct.I have done business with Mr Smith in the past and he is the biggest crook that I have ever come across.You have to fight to get money he owes you and all he cares about is what he can gain.He somehow has our county officials wrapped around his finger.Yes he does employee alot of people but they are treated like dirt.Its so sad that people in this county are blinded by greed.All his business dealings are going to do is put taxpayers deeper in debt.Open your eyes people he is no good.
William

Brentwood, TN

#12 Oct 28, 2011
Area Business wrote:
<quoted text>Tapayer is dead on correct.I have done business with Mr Smith in the past and he is the biggest crook that I have ever come across.You have to fight to get money he owes you and all he cares about is what he can gain.He somehow has our county officials wrapped around his finger.Yes he does employee alot of people but they are treated like dirt.Its so sad that people in this county are blinded by greed.All his business dealings are going to do is put taxpayers deeper in debt.Open your eyes people he is no good.
I find that almost impossible to believe. I've done business with them and had no problems. If they were as hard to do business with as you claim, then contractors, vendors and suppliers wouldn't trifle with them. Perhaps you are just jealous of his success?
Area Business

Jonesborough, TN

#13 Oct 29, 2011
William wrote:
<quoted text>
I find that almost impossible to believe. I've done business with them and had no problems. If they were as hard to do business with as you claim, then contractors, vendors and suppliers wouldn't trifle with them. Perhaps you are just jealous of his success?
I don't do business with them anymore.I don't deal with crooks.You can belive what you want.
kooter

Orange, VA

#14 Dec 16, 2012
Can anyone give me links to assertions made here and local newspaper articles.
Meadowview Resident

Charlottesville, VA

#15 Dec 16, 2012
Here is one link to get you started.

http://www.tricities.com/news/article_6b6a78a...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Abingdon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Oh yeah (Jun '14) 4 hr FSM 51,559
Jake Breaks 9 hr Eternal truth 11
Highlands trailer park complaint 10 hr Mr Lahey 1
Is Abingdon a good place for a blue collar family (Apr '11) 13 hr Parker0522 83
Ian Lane trailerhood watch 17 hr Big Barb 3
Ian Lane Resident 18 hr T42N24T 2
Hanky panky on Ian Lane 18 hr T42N24T 2

Abingdon Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance