Aberdeen VOL Fire Dept&LifeSquad

Posted in the Aberdeen Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
DEB

Middletown, OH

#1 Jul 19, 2009
You know I cant really thank them at all. I had a family member just about lose there life a couple of weeks ago because of them they never came and ripley finally got there. It took 25 min before someone finally arrived on scene for the exception of LT Keith Reignheart of the APD which i can say is a good man. People need to step up and help the dept in aberdeen or they just need to turn it over to ripley before someone looses there life. You know im not from aberdeen but i would think they should have the money to hire a few emt to stay at there fire building 24 hours a day its awful
aberdeen

United States

#2 Jul 20, 2009
ya i would say that aberdeen needs to let ripley take over because when they have a call to go to they cant take it they have to have ripley come and take care of the people but when there is a fire or wreck aberdeen is always they for it but when people are sick they cant go to that one and that is pretty sad.And yes keith is a dam good man and so are the other cops at least they do go to all the calls. ps. DEB i hope your family member is alright.
Just Curious

Dayton, OH

#3 Jul 20, 2009
You really aberdeen has only given up a few runs to Ripley and its usually during the day when everyone is working butt thats why its volunteer..
Fireman

Peninsula, OH

#4 Jul 21, 2009
Deb, I understand your frustration however we as volunteers are frustrated also because we are a dying breed. We volunteer because we want to give to our community and don't ask to be paid for our service. The Aberdeen Huntington Twp. Fire Department is a volunteer service and they try and do there best. Volunteer departments are having a hard time getting volunteers these days because the time it takes for training, Etc. The State is mandating more every year. I blame society in general now days because its to fast paced and demanding. People have to work more than one job in todays world to provide for there family not allowing people to volunteer that normally would love to. I currently work for a volunteer department in a township and they were forced to go to part-time because they could not get volunteers to run or join. Aberdeen most likely will be forced to do this and alot of other departments in the near future.
bosch

Middletown, OH

#5 Jul 22, 2009
Deb I would think that you would understand the situation since your father was chief and you were a volunteer here in Aberdeen for several years. In order to hire full time emt's levies would have to be passed in order to pay and I really don't see that happening. I think our volunteers do an excellent job, just as you did when you were here.
volunteer

Maysville, KY

#6 Aug 13, 2009
How does one become a volunteer fireman?
Melissa

Cincinnati, OH

#7 Aug 14, 2009
Talk to Will Eastwood
Chris F

Dayton, OH

#8 Aug 16, 2009
Like Fireman said, manpower is the issue, we spend a few hundred hours a year in training just to keep current, most people aren't willing to make that commitment. Not all of the firemen are EMTs either, only about half in fact and the state requires 2 certified EMTs on the ambulance. Nights and weekends are not an issue, weekdays are when we have trouble covering runs because we are all at work. Unfortuately Aberdeen doesn't have the call volume to afford to keep 2 full time people at the station.

Volunteer, if you are interested in putting in an application, stop by the station on the 2nd Monday, or 3rd or 4th Tuesday of the month at around 7 pm. Those are our regular meeting times.
RetiredAFF

Washington, PA

#9 Aug 17, 2009
The true problem with the Aberdeen Fire Department is the Politics and the I am better than you attitudes. It has been that way for years and it will continue to be that way until they find a chief that will pull the department together as one. They need to go out into the community and recruit, involve the community within the department, and treat all as members as equals. A Fire Department is not only a Department but also a "Family", A specially bonded Family that responds as a team and acts as one, and until the members of that Department realizes this, it will be the way it is forever. This I know because I was part of a special family once and I know how successful we were as a Family, I know how well we worked together , and I know what one would have done for the other. I personally shared a special bond with each of the members in my own way. We had Trust in one another, we backed one another, we worked as a team, we laughed together and cried together, If one went down there was four there to pick them up. We not only shared the Department, but shared are lives with one another. Yes there were the ups and downs, but when the bay doors opened we went out as one. Anyone can go around and call themselves a fireman, but a real fireman will not deny another, a real fireman will not judge another but instead help, a real fireman will always be there when they are needed.

I take my hat off to some of these real fireman that I have had the Honor and Privilege to not only work beside but to learn from:

Terry Lang
Jerry Lang
Jerry Lykins
Danny William
Ray Stamper
Brent Applegate
Tony Lykins
Jeff Shelton
Kevin Dugan
Andrew Grayson
Alan Baker
just wondering

Tipp City, OH

#10 Aug 17, 2009
why dont they make thee police officer,s take a driving course
neighbor

United States

#11 Aug 17, 2009
you named all those names but you forgot one and it is danny kiskadden i think he is a very good fireman
Chris F

Dayton, OH

#12 Aug 17, 2009
RetiredAFF, you named a lot of good names in that list. I could probably throw a few more in there depending on how far you want to go back. My family has a long history with this department and I know exactly what you are talking about, but the department today isn't the same as it was even just a few years ago. I'm not going to get into details, but the politics and infighting are gone and we are more like a family then co-workers.
tax payer - victim

Woodmere, NY

#13 Aug 17, 2009
i think they are a joke come on people i call 911 for an ambulance at arond 8pm on a sunday night after 25 minutes no ambulance i drove to the fire house 2 blocks away in sever pain and i person was there in the ambulance that was not even an emt he said he was a driver and they had to call ripley after 20 more minutes ripley showed up at aberdeens fire house and took me to the hospital way pay taxes for aberdeen fire department when ripley and manchester ect. does all the calls where did this will eastwood come from how did he slide right in? im sure there are some good people left on the fire department but it sounds like this will eastwood has ran a lot of the good ones off no wonder they can not get an ambulance out to help tax payers
jr bramel

Englewood, OH

#14 Aug 17, 2009
the fire dept is volenteer they got family to support they just cant quit thier job and go on a run the tax money you and i spent went for equip trucks building etc. not for a full time job
they do the best they can and ive talked to most of them they seem to do a great job and they seem to get along keep up the good work i know of all the hours you got to put in to be a volenteer
dont knock them praise them for volenteering their time and also putting thier lives on the line for volenteer work. if you think you can better that they got applications and im sure they will be glad to give ya one. keep up
the good work guys and THANKS.

jr bramel
redneck 024
jr bramel

Englewood, OH

#15 Aug 17, 2009
pickle fraizer deserves to be mentioned goes way
back.

thanks old buddie
jr bramel
redneck 024
Chris F

Dayton, OH

#16 Aug 18, 2009
tax payer - victim wrote:
i think they are a joke come on people i call 911 for an ambulance at arond 8pm on a sunday night after 25 minutes no ambulance i drove to the fire house 2 blocks away in sever pain and i person was there in the ambulance that was not even an emt he said he was a driver and they had to call ripley after 20 more minutes ripley showed up at aberdeens fire house and took me to the hospital way pay taxes for aberdeen fire department when ripley and manchester ect. does all the calls where did this will eastwood come from how did he slide right in? im sure there are some good people left on the fire department but it sounds like this will eastwood has ran a lot of the good ones off no wonder they can not get an ambulance out to help tax payers
It's very unusual for us to miss runs on weekends or evenings, unless we are already on another run. Give me the exact date and I'll see if I can figure out what happened.

Will Eastwood has been a member of the department for a number of years and was a fire officer before accepting the chiefs position after the previous chief stepped down. Will doesn't play political games and he truly cares about the people of this township. Our equipment and training has improved dramatically under his command.

Instead of criticizing us for doing a difficult job that no one wants, how about putting in an application and helping out? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
Chris F

Dayton, OH

#17 Aug 18, 2009
Thank's JR, you summed it up perfectly.

If we're going back as far as pickles, there's a couple of more names to add to that list.

Larry Frazier
George Prather
Troy Pennington
Everette Lykins
Johnny Lykins
Mark Bowie
Jerry Snapp

And probably a bunch more I can't think of at the moment.
fd supporter

United States

#18 Aug 19, 2009
if you could drive to the station why coldnt you just drive to the hospital in the first place and save the ambulance for someone that really needed it?

Since: Aug 09

Maysville, KY

#19 Aug 19, 2009
jr bramel wrote:
the fire dept is volenteer they got family to support they just cant quit thier job and go on a run the tax money you and i spent went for equip trucks building etc. not for a full time job
they do the best they can and ive talked to most of them they seem to do a great job and they seem to get along keep up the good work i know of all the hours you got to put in to be a volenteer
dont knock them praise them for volenteering their time and also putting thier lives on the line for volenteer work. if you think you can better that they got applications and im sure they will be glad to give ya one. keep up
the good work guys and THANKS.
jr bramel
redneck 024
I agree with JR. the fire dept is all volunteers. They volunteer their time and energy away from other things they could be doing but they are also family providers. If you want full time firemen and EMT's then be willing to pay more taxes..which I would gladly do for full time coverage. I have dealt with the both the squad and the fire dept..I praise you for what you do...To the Aberdeen Fire Dept and Squad THANK YOU!!!!!!!!
aberdeen person

Pasadena, MD

#20 Aug 27, 2009
is that why chief eastwood's wife runs at west union life squad all the time instead of helping her own squad out! that has to say something about leadership, when her husband is the chief

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Aberdeen Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
any one know zach fields (Oct '10) 8 hr free fallin 14
Nicolle Wilson 8 hr Honky Tonky 2
Carol Murphy & Donnie Waldron Sun bill 3
the aberdeen ohio police dept (Feb '12) Sun Old friend 98
Single men (Feb '17) Sat Scooter 14
Snappers looking for bartender. (Feb '17) Oct 20 Curious 11
Inquiring about the murder of Glenna Millikins ... (Aug '15) Oct 18 TMcDowell 6

Aberdeen Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance