Officer held in fatal hit-run

Officer held in fatal hit-run

There are 68 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Jan 29, 2008, titled Officer held in fatal hit-run. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

“I was saddened and disturbed to learn about this morning's fatal accident on Interstate 95 in Harford County involving an off-duty Anne Arundel County police officer”

An off-duty Anne Arundel County police officer was taken into custody yesterday after a fatal hit-and-run accident on Interstate 95 near Aberdeen that killed a 28-year-old Baltimore man and shut down traffic in both directions during morning rush hour.

The officer, whom state troopers traced, using a license plate found at the scene, to a home in Cecil County, has not been identified.

But Anne Arundel County police Chief James Teare Sr. said in a statement last night that the man is a county patrol officer who has been with the agency for more than three years. Read more

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Kirstie A

Baltimore, MD

#1 Jan 29, 2008
This story disturbs and saddens me very much! I feel very sad for the family who lost a loved one by a horrible hit a run driver… who turns out to be a cop… and a brainless cop at that! What is the point of a hit and run if you leave the license plate at the scene of the crime! My speculation is that the cop was drunk and waited at the family member’s home while the alcohol got out of his system so that he could not be charged with a DUI. I am appalled that the Anne Arundel County police are letting this pathetic cop, no, this pathetic member of the human race stay on the force “in a paid administrative position without law enforcement powers.” He should be fired and then put in prison for the rest of his life, or put to death!
BEE-BEE

Durham, NC

#2 Jan 29, 2008
Just another example of police out of control. There is something most definitely wrong with the screening process used for the selection of police officers.  During the selection process, all potential officers must under go a more complete background check and mental evaluation prior to hiring. On a  2-3 year cycle all officers should under go a lie detector test, mental evaluation and randon drug screening. This will be very helpful in identifying the problem officers and saving us the tax payer money from law suits.   
brac transplant

Frederick, MD

#3 Feb 1, 2008
it's not the selection. it's the clique. police judges, do as they please. no respect for the law.

“Have you helped today?”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#4 Feb 5, 2008
To the family of Antonio Martinez:

You do not know me but my heart truly hurts for you. My kids father was killed in a hit and run on Oct 10th, 2006. Allegedly a Miami-Dade Detective (at the time) killed Ryland (Rick) James Nye. I understand the anger of losing a loved one to a hit and run driver...worse yet...I understand the extreme anger you must be feeling at knowing that an officer of the law may be involved. It is so hard to understand how anyone could do something like this...but especially someone sworn to serve and protect. You have a long and lonely journey to endure ahead of you. I think that unless someone has been through this they can not ever possibly understand the complexity of the emotions we go through. When you are ready there is a wonderful site you might like to check out. It has been very helpful to me. The name is " Deadlyroads.com ".

Peace and prayers,

dsntslp =(doesn't sleep...and will not...until we have justice in our case!)
My myself and I

Plano, TX

#5 Feb 5, 2008
Another cop coward hiding behind his badge.

Another thing: why is an AAC cop living in Cecil County? Isn't there a law that requires cops to live where they work?
HoCo Resident

United States

#6 Feb 5, 2008
Kirstie A wrote:
This story disturbs and saddens me very much! I feel very sad for the family who lost a loved one by a horrible hit a run driver… who turns out to be a cop… and a brainless cop at that! What is the point of a hit and run if you leave the license plate at the scene of the crime! My speculation is that the cop was drunk and waited at the family member’s home while the alcohol got out of his system so that he could not be charged with a DUI. I am appalled that the Anne Arundel County police are letting this pathetic cop, no, this pathetic member of the human race stay on the force “in a paid administrative position without law enforcement powers.” He should be fired and then put in prison for the rest of his life, or put to death!
I think you hit the nail right on the head! This officer was probably out drinking with his hometown buddies and didn't want to risk a DUI and his career. Hopefully his career will still be coming to an end after this tragedy. What ever happened to the phrase "To protect and serve?"

“Have you helped today?”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#7 Mar 3, 2008
Over a month later and they STILL have not released the cops name??????
Justice for All

Excelsior Springs, MO

#8 Mar 24, 2008
When are the Ann Arundel and Maryland State Police going to stop hiding their "Hit & Run Cop"? It has been nearly two months since it was alleged that their fine, upstanding officer hit and caused the death of Antonio M. Martinez, whose Ford Explorer was rammed from behind so hard that it flipped over a guardrail on I-95 in Hartford County, whereupon the cop ran from the scene in his vehicle and hid the Nissan Pathfinder in Cecil County.

If this homicide had been caused by a civilian, the "Thin Blue Line" would have allowed the news media to publish the suspect's name within hours. But since he is "one of theirs" and "protected by the Union", the miscreant's name has been hidden and/or redacted from all sources.

It sure seems like there are two rules of conduct and disclosure here, one for the Police, and one for everyone else.
Steve M

Falls Church, VA

#9 Mar 27, 2008
As long as you know people in powerful position in Maryland goverment you won't do time.
Matter a fact even the crime you commited will disapear ! All you all can see.
Justice for All

Somerset, NJ

#10 Mar 31, 2008
Looks like the Grand Jury is about to indict this cop. Funny that there has been NOTHING published in the Baltimore papers about this story since early February. Didn't see this article in ABC2.com 's archives until today. I presume that a week and a half later, no indictment has yet been sealed.....

http://www.abc2news.com/news/local/story.aspx...
Justice for All

Somerset, NJ

#11 Apr 3, 2008
Dane Patrick Hall, 28, of the 1000 block of Frenchtown Road in Perryville, the Anne Arundel Cty officer suspended/reassigned in connection with the fatal crash, was only charged with a drinking and driving offense. The info was confirmed by MD State Police at the JFK Barrack in Perryville after the suspect's name was found in barrack logs. The officer reportedly has a prior history of 4 DUI's.
larry g

Gwynn Oak, MD

#12 Apr 3, 2008
Another police officer kills or injures a civilian and is placed on
PAID LEAVE - so he gets a paid vacation for doing what would send
anyone else to prison .
Bump76

Perryville, MD

#13 Apr 16, 2008
Have any of you ever heard of innocent until proven guilty. He is given the same rights anyone else is given. If you don’t believe me just look up Kerri J. King, 35, of Elkton Md. She killed a police officer (allegedly) on New Years Eve in a hit and run and they just now indicted her. So before you go throwing stones just because this person happens to be a police officer do some research!!!!! Also since all of you seem to hate cops don’t call one when you get jumped, or raped, or robbed because lord know they are all just corrupt!!!!!!
larry g

Baltimore, MD

#14 Apr 17, 2008
Bump76 wrote:
Have any of you ever heard of innocent until proven guilty. He is given the same rights anyone else is given. If you don’t believe me just look up Kerri J. King, 35, of Elkton Md. She killed a police officer (allegedly) on New Years Eve in a hit and run and they just now indicted her. So before you go throwing stones just because this person happens to be a police officer do some research!!!!! Also since all of you seem to hate cops don’t call one when you get jumped, or raped, or robbed because lord know they are all just corrupt!!!!!!
did they pay her between the accident and the trial?
Justice for All

Somerset, NJ

#15 Apr 18, 2008
The issue that people object to is the FACT that if a civilian is accused of a crime, that person's name is plastered all over the media within hours. However, when a law enforcement "professional" is accused, the cops make damn sure that his/her name is redacted from the records, FAST. In this case, there is a wealth of evidence of his guilt- enough that a civilian would be in jail or at least indicted. Not so here, merely because a cop is "special" and the "thin blue line" protects its own. As for Ms. King, her name was released to the press promptly, right? I rest my case.
Justice for All

Somerset, NJ

#16 Apr 18, 2008
Well, I see that Harford County FINALLY got off the stick and arrested the killer cop. Only $100K bail? The Thin Blue Line, again.....

Anne Arundel officer indicted in fatal I-95 crash
April 17, 2008 - 7:16am

BEL AIR, Md.(AP)- An Anne Arundel County police officer charged in a fatal hit-and-run crash on Interstate 95 in Harford County in January has surrendered to authorities.

Prosecutors say 28-year-old Officer Dane Patrick Hall was arrested Wednesday, one day after a grand jury indicted him on 13 counts including homicide by motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol. He was released on $100,000 bond.

Authorities say a Nissan Pathfinder on northbound I-95 hit the rear of a Ford Explorer, which spun out of control, flipped over a guardrail and landed on the southbound shoulder. The man killed in the crash was identified as 28-year-old Antonio Martinez of Gwynn Oak.

Police believe the Pathfinder driver stopped and then fled. Hall was arrested hours later at his Perryville home.

Anne Arundel County police official say Hall had been assigned to administrative duties after the crash and was relieved of all duties after the indictment.
larry g

Gwynn Oak, MD

#17 Apr 18, 2008
Justice for All wrote:
Well, I see that Harford County FINALLY got off the stick and arrested the killer cop. Only $100K bail? The Thin Blue Line, again.....
Anne Arundel officer indicted in fatal I-95 crash
April 17, 2008 - 7:16am
BEL AIR, Md.(AP)- An Anne Arundel County police officer charged in a fatal hit-and-run crash on Interstate 95 in Harford County in January has surrendered to authorities.
Prosecutors say 28-year-old Officer Dane Patrick Hall was arrested Wednesday, one day after a grand jury indicted him on 13 counts including homicide by motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol. He was released on $100,000 bond.
Authorities say a Nissan Pathfinder on northbound I-95 hit the rear of a Ford Explorer, which spun out of control, flipped over a guardrail and landed on the southbound shoulder. The man killed in the crash was identified as 28-year-old Antonio Martinez of Gwynn Oak.
Police believe the Pathfinder driver stopped and then fled. Hall was arrested hours later at his Perryville home.
Anne Arundel County police official say Hall had been assigned to administrative duties after the crash and was relieved of all duties after the indictment.
about time

“Have you helped today?”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#18 Apr 19, 2008
Justice for All wrote:
The issue that people object to is the FACT that if a civilian is accused of a crime, that person's name is plastered all over the media within hours. However, when a law enforcement "professional" is accused, the cops make damn sure that his/her name is redacted from the records, FAST. In this case, there is a wealth of evidence of his guilt- enough that a civilian would be in jail or at least indicted. Not so here, merely because a cop is "special" and the "thin blue line" protects its own. As for Ms. King, her name was released to the press promptly, right? I rest my case.
Ditto!
Bump76

Perryville, MD

#19 May 2, 2008
larry g wrote:
<quoted text>
did they pay her between the accident and the trial?
That is standard procedure for any case until an officer is charged so what’s your point.
Bump76

Perryville, MD

#20 May 2, 2008
Justice for All wrote:
The issue that people object to is the FACT that if a civilian is accused of a crime, that person's name is plastered all over the media within hours. However, when a law enforcement "professional" is accused, the cops make damn sure that his/her name is redacted from the records, FAST. In this case, there is a wealth of evidence of his guilt- enough that a civilian would be in jail or at least indicted. Not so here, merely because a cop is "special" and the "thin blue line" protects its own. As for Ms. King, her name was released to the press promptly, right? I rest my case.
Ms. King’s name was not released right away nor was she indicted or charged with a crime for 3 months. Also do you ever stop and think that police officers have Unions and the FOP working on their behalf from the moment a problem occurs. This is not corruption but merely safe guards put into place to protect men and women who already live at risk because they carry badge. Also don’t you think that if there is this “special treatment” it is because of Lynch Mob Mentalities like this that it exists to ensure that police officers like everyone else are given a fair trial???? Once again I say if Police Officers are so corrupt don’t call on one when you or a loved one is a victim!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Aberdeen Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 24 lose their homes during massive condo fire Apr 1 Will Dockery 2
The good and bad areas of Aberdeen (Aug '08) Mar '18 donald125 26
News Aberdeen still considering PILOT for purchaser ... (Oct '17) Oct '17 oscor 1
Sabrina? (Apr '17) Apr '17 WhodatBrunette 1
News Harford exec wants to get rid of county-owned p... (Aug '16) Aug '16 noobieR 1
News Second suspect arrested in December Aberdeen sh... (May '16) May '16 WordPress Toronto 1
News Maryland man dunks cat in toilet to correct its... (Mar '16) Mar '16 Poppyann 1

Aberdeen Jobs

Personal Finance

Aberdeen Mortgages