Trash and Garbage Pickup Complaint

Posted in the Abbeville Forum

First Prev
of 12
Next Last
Todd Travasos

Milton, LA

#1 Oct 13, 2008
Does anyone know where our tax dollars (1/2 cent sales tax) that is dedicated to picking up garbage and trash is going?
I drove to Henry yesterday, and there is all types of trash and garbage on the shoulders of the highway.
I called solid waste today to find out when they were going to pick up MY trash that has been on the side of Hwy 167 for over a month. The lady told me I had to contact the State.
It would seem to me that since some of this is a health hazard,(rotten food) the Parish could legally circumvent the bidding process and let Glenn Lege and others pick up this trash and garbage. It was done after Hurricane Lily. It should happen again, especially since we were hit twice.
It doesn't pay us to volunteer on the Keep Abbeville Beautiful project when the gateways to our city is littered with trash and garbage.
We've patiently waited over a month. How much longer do we have to wait?
MrsCuldesac

Lenoir City, TN

#2 Oct 13, 2008
Todd, I agree totally, I too called to talk to Ricky @ Solid Waste today! My neighbors put a ice box out in front of my yard almost a week after Ike hit us, I called today & the young girl tells me she don't know when they will get to my end of town!. If you pass down Pine street you would die at the trash still on the side of the roads, its horrible. And yes I did see the trash bags on your lawn area, its horrible they have not picked it up yet, you always have a beautiful yard its sad they are not doing their job!. I would think that it is the parish to pick up or better yet the city because of the Clean City sign near by!And as you are entering Abbeville,They don't won't me on any clean city commmitee, I would clean house in Abbeville & this Parish.
Roland

Rayne, LA

#3 Oct 13, 2008
Todd, I don't think your 1/2 cents sales tax is paying for hurricane trash pickup. I think FEMA is paying for it. They got to follow rules before they can start. I was in New Iberia yesterday, It is just as bad over there. Abbeville however looks better than Erath and Delcambre. We need to give them the time they need to get this done right, so it doesn't cost Vermilion an arm and a leg.
MrsCuldesac

Lenoir City, TN

#4 Oct 13, 2008
Excuse me sir, but my trash is not from the hurricane!, I've witnessed the trucks passing up my road & have gotten in my car to chase the truck down and make them come back to pick up trash!. Follow the rules? What rules please explain them too us.Thats New Iberia, we're talking about Abbeville.Yes and Abbeville is better but what about the out skirts of Abbeville?. Arm & Leg, well I'd rather spend it on picking up the trash than putting it in the police jurors pockets!
Todd Travasos

Milton, LA

#5 Oct 13, 2008
Roland wrote:
Todd, I don't think your 1/2 cents sales tax is paying for hurricane trash pickup. I think FEMA is paying for it. They got to follow rules before they can start. I was in New Iberia yesterday, It is just as bad over there. Abbeville however looks better than Erath and Delcambre. We need to give them the time they need to get this done right, so it doesn't cost Vermilion an arm and a leg.
I understand what you are saying, but it is a cost share between FEMA and the parish. I am sure FEMA is going to pay for the schools that flooded, too, but, we had to get our kids back in school, so we repaired them, and hopefully, FEMA will reimburse the School Board. Also, I saw Glenn Lege trucks picking up trash just a few days after Hurricane Lily hit. Who paid for that?
Also, the trash in front of my house is not all hurricane related. I had some tree work done while I had the labor and chain saws to get it done.
Another thing, Dr. Young stopped at my house today to complain to me about my trash. After I explained to him that it was not my responsibility to haul trash, and only leaves and small branches were in those 180 trash bags, he understood, and if he is complaining, who else is complaining too? I try to keep a clean yard. I even have a Keep Abbeville Beautiful sign in my yard.
As far as Erath and Delcambre, mostly this is Vermilion Parish's problem. As far as New Iberia is concerned, they got hit much harder than we did by Hurricane Gustav, so the amount of debris is much greater.
Also, if we have to wait on FEMA, we may be waiting until after hurricane season 2009.
One last thing, I don't recall when we voted on the tax, the ballot read that the Parish would pick up trash and garbage that was only non hurricane related.
Todd Travasos

Milton, LA

#6 Oct 13, 2008
MrsCuldesac wrote:
Excuse me sir, but my trash is not from the hurricane!, I've witnessed the trucks passing up my road & have gotten in my car to chase the truck down and make them come back to pick up trash!. Follow the rules? What rules please explain them too us.Thats New Iberia, we're talking about Abbeville.Yes and Abbeville is better but what about the out skirts of Abbeville?. Arm & Leg, well I'd rather spend it on picking up the trash than putting it in the police jurors pockets!
Very well said, and I did hear about Pine Street, but I don't think my stomach can take the smell, so I will avoid this area, if possible.
Do you realize how many loads of trash the parish could pick up with the $70,000 raise that the Police Jurors got?(At least 1,000)
Real Estate

Abbeville, LA

#7 Oct 13, 2008
Someone, I do not know who but had mixed trash bags & tree branches together. After passing there for a few days, the branches were gone but the plastic bags were still there.

If things are so bad, do like I do & make a run to the dump.

The parish gov has said time & time again in the paper to seperate branches & regular trash.

If it takes a while just keep putting trash into your trash can.

I see how many people have mixed trash & now are complaining.
Todd Travasos

Milton, LA

#8 Oct 13, 2008
Real Estate wrote:
Someone, I do not know who but had mixed trash bags & tree branches together. After passing there for a few days, the branches were gone but the plastic bags were still there.
The parish gov has said time & time again in the paper to seperate branches & regular trash.
I had mixed trash bags and tree branches together, but what was in the trash bags was exactly the same thing (tree branches and leaves)
Do you think I should have left the leaves in a big pile to blow across Hwy 167, possibly causing an accident, and into my neighbor's yards?
I am paying taxes, just like you are for CURBSIDE trash and garbage pickup. Why should I pay twice?
I never did have "mixed trash". All the same, just some was bagged, and some wasn't.
I pay someone to haul my garbage to the dump twice a week. There is a difference between "garbage" and "trash".
By the way, I see a lot of "separated" trash that is not being picked up.
Todd Travasos

Milton, LA

#9 Oct 13, 2008
Real Estate wrote:
By the way, garbage and trash needs to be separated, per Vermilion Parish. So, your theory to mix the two is FLAWED!
ex-juror

Rayne, LA

#10 Oct 13, 2008
The Glenn Lege trucks yoy saw right after Lilly or any hurricane for that matter was clearing roadways, FEMA pays 100% for the first 72 hrs after the storm. This period is only to get the roadways cleared. The rest of the debre has to go threw the process. Be patient, it will be picked up.
MrsCuldesac

Lenoir City, TN

#11 Oct 13, 2008
I was on Pine Street signing a contract for my business when I was horrified by the mess , now if I get a flat tire on my new car tires I guess I'll send it to the Police Jurors.Real Estate stated if things are so bad run to the dump, well we are so busy in our line of business we have no time to go, and isn't that what the parish for? I heard from a good friend Mr. Jimmy Jay Dent that they had 18 wheelers down Wildcat road going to pick up trash on Clairville Rd.and they had to stop because the company that was hired out by the parish or state, saw a sign the ploice jurors had put up that said, nothing more than 3 axles, to travel upon or use any parish road. Meaning if the parish owned the truck it could pass, but if leased or hired it could not pass to pick up the trash, the 18 wheeler had to stay on wildcat Dr. & all the trash stayed on Clairville Dr.till this day 10/13/08, since both hurricanes.
Todd Travasos

Milton, LA

#12 Oct 13, 2008
MrsCuldesac wrote:
I was on Pine Street signing a contract for my business when I was horrified by the mess , now if I get a flat tire on my new car tires I guess I'll send it to the Police Jurors.Real Estate stated if things are so bad run to the dump, well we are so busy in our line of business we have no time to go, and isn't that what the parish for? I heard from a good friend Mr. Jimmy Jay Dent that they had 18 wheelers down Wildcat road going to pick up trash on Clairville Rd.and they had to stop because the company that was hired out by the parish or state, saw a sign the ploice jurors had put up that said, nothing more than 3 axles, to travel upon or use any parish road. Meaning if the parish owned the truck it could pass, but if leased or hired it could not pass to pick up the trash, the 18 wheeler had to stay on wildcat Dr. & all the trash stayed on Clairville Dr.till this day 10/13/08, since both hurricanes.
The trash situation is a disgrace, but the bigger disgrace will be if and when a precious child gets Hepatitis or Cholera from the rotten garbage that goes into our waterways and our food chain every time it rains.
That could be a lot more expensive than a few flat tires.
MrsCuldesac

Lenoir City, TN

#13 Oct 13, 2008
Get this, under all of the trash left @ the end of my drive, where my sweet grandchild rides her bike. 4 yrs. old, is a giant hole, where my neighbor dumps all his trash too, even a ice box!, The parish has picked up more dirt from the area than trash! A Hole where I could fit my husbands full size truck and like you said Todd, Hepatitis or Cholera from all the debris left for so long, now really!!!!!!!!!! They just can't seem to get it right , I guess we need to call the channel 10 News Group from Lafayette, when I worked in a Lafayette Based Company we always got help from the news people. I know quiet a few people in higher places, and I know you do too! Its time we start talking to a different beat...
Todd Travasos

Milton, LA

#14 Oct 13, 2008
MrsCuldesac wrote:
Get this, under all of the trash left @ the end of my drive, where my sweet grandchild rides her bike. 4 yrs. old, is a giant hole, where my neighbor dumps all his trash too, even a ice box!, The parish has picked up more dirt from the area than trash! A Hole where I could fit my husbands full size truck and like you said Todd, Hepatitis or Cholera from all the debris left for so long, now really!!!!!!!!!! They just can't seem to get it right , I guess we need to call the channel 10 News Group from Lafayette, when I worked in a Lafayette Based Company we always got help from the news people. I know quiet a few people in higher places, and I know you do too! Its time we start talking to a different beat...
I like your last two sentences. We're on the same wavelength. Today is a holiday, but tomorrow isn't. Trash not being picked up is one thing, but garbage left out for over a month in 90 degree heat is like something you would expect in Mexico, not in the wealthiest nation on Earth.
MrsCuldesac

Lenoir City, TN

#15 Oct 13, 2008
But Todd,its funny I went to mexico just 5 yrs ago to bring my 3 children, 2 wonderful girls, 1 boy to let them see how fortunate they were. Brought them to one of the poorest towns in Mexico, now they tell me Mom when we were in Mexico the smell of that stuff called Masa & the stinch of trash in the alleys stayed with them a long time, but they have all to come to love the spanish community because of they're committment to there community. Poverty places can be expected to have these circumstances but not our comunity. They have something I think that we will never have,an understanding about life & that life goes on even without the almighty dollar bill..& They do not live by time but live life day by day as they Pray to They're Lady Guadelupe,oh mother of God. And we shall not judge them, for they do teach us certain values in life that no other culture could teach us, and I am very thankful to them for their heritage ,to show my children the difference in the different lifestyles our world has given us. but that is in Mexico, we choose to live in Abeville not in Mexico, so here we have guide lines for our sreets to be clean & free of disease,thats why my children were so Happy to return from Mexico!
Todd Travasos

Milton, LA

#16 Oct 13, 2008
Makes since to me!
socrateez

Plainview, NY

#17 Oct 14, 2008
its getting bad, i had to buy 2 new tires for my daughters car 1 last week and another this weekend. some of the trash is on the roads in some places, someone came and went through some trash and made a mess of it. it was thrown into the ditch on the road, what are they going to do with the stinky sewage smelling things they took. i made a friendly call, now i am going to make a complaint. the smell is horrific. and its has cost me over $200 in tires, thanks for making this topix Todd and nice to here from you. i still need to give you a ring.
Mike

Rayne, LA

#18 Oct 14, 2008
Mrs. Culdesac % Todd, I agree with both of you about the trash, it needs to be picked up. But we are not the only ones with this problem. I went to Galvaston last week, I took hwy 82 went to Camron Parish first, then drove to Johnston Bayou, then to Galveston. Don't complain it get worst the farther west you drive.
roger roger

Patterson, LA

#19 Oct 14, 2008
ex-juror wrote:
The Glenn Lege trucks yoy saw right after Lilly or any hurricane for that matter was clearing roadways, FEMA pays 100% for the first 72 hrs after the storm. This period is only to get the roadways cleared. The rest of the debre has to go threw the process. Be patient, it will be picked up.
ex-juror is correct. FEMA allows the city a 72 hour window to hire contractors to clean up and clear city streets. Not only Glenn Lege Const. was working but also Acadiana Shell, Danny Chapman Const. and Vermilion Shell. All were working doing this, but the only thing they could do was CLEAR STREETS and RIGHT of WAYS and they only had a 72 hour window to do it. Any and all other work to clean up the CITY will have to be done on a bid/contract basis.

The Parish and State does not have that luxury afforded to them by FEMA. They can work only on a bid/contract type basis if they want to be re-imbursed by FEMA. The contract for the remainder of the P/U has been let and awarded to someone. I don't think he has started P/U'ing up yet. The parish in the meantime has been P/U'ing up hurricane debris along with their normal garbage P/U but things are working slow because they have to seperate Hurricane debris from their normal debris. Reason why is FEMA will re-imburse the parish for any and all cost associated with Hurricane debris.

Todd, unfortunately you live on a State Highway, which falls under the jursidiction of the State. They will probably make two-three passes on their highways but will not start the second pass until all state highways have been passed on first.

This is the system that is mandated and used for all Hurricane clean-up. If it is not working, then this should be take up with Senators, Resentatives and Federal officials as this is the Law they have set up. FEMA is the one who should be getting the ire of everyone because it is their rules we are playing by. Local officials have nothing to do with it except following their rules and regs.
socrateez

Plainview, NY

#20 Oct 14, 2008
we pay taxes in vermilion parish, so right now we are thinking of ourselvrs. they have there own problems and pay there own trash tax. i do feel for them but we do have a trash problem.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 12
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Abbeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Flinstones Break Up. 43 min Levi 539
VPSB members 16 hr Discerner 7
what??? Sat hoodrat 32
Love my VPSO May 27 Told ya 62
F B I Office Lafayette LA (Jun '09) May 27 Told ya 39
Katy just destroyed Todd Travasos gto haha May 23 Potcallinkettleblack 83
News Another alleged Gremlin gang member arrested in... May 22 Long gone 1
Cox cable will lower your bill if you do what I... (Sep '11) May 2 frank 57
More from around the web

Personal Finance