citizen

Abbeville, LA

#1 Oct 8, 2012
After reading Sundays article I agree with councilman touchet that there is a problem with the rec deptartment. I attended a few summer games and yes there is a problem but I will use the old cleshay , that article was THE POT CALLING THE KETTLE BLACK. Never did we see Jerry but also never did we see any city officials neither. Councilmen Touchet gets a city of abbeville check and he is saying there is a problem, one big problem I saw was the amount of kids which was not much. But his kids was playing in Erath, also he was coaching in Erath. Maybe since they live in Abbeville and he is a city of abbeville councilman show a little more support for the city of abbeville park dept. and participate in the program and maybe others will follow and we can start to bring the program back to one of the best, that at one time it was.
The Citizen

Abbeville, LA

#2 Oct 8, 2012
There is no possibility of it ever being like it used to be. Even if Jerry was a good director, which he is not, the Abbeville Park and Rec Dept will never be back to the way it was in the 80's and 90's when things were booming and the parks were filled every weekend. It is a different breed of people these days. They are so caught up in that select ball BS that no city league has a chance. The biggest problem with the Abbeville Park and Rec Dept is Jerry Martinez, as the paper pointed out. Finally an article in the Meridional that I was interested in. Finally someone had the guts to put something in the paper and tell everyone how terrible of a director they hired.
Leadership

United States

#3 Oct 8, 2012
The Citizen wrote:
There is no possibility of it ever being like it used to be. Even if Jerry was a good director, which he is not, the Abbeville Park and Rec Dept will never be back to the way it was in the 80's and 90's when things were booming and the parks were filled every weekend. It is a different breed of people these days. They are so caught up in that select ball BS that no city league has a chance. The biggest problem with the Abbeville Park and Rec Dept is Jerry Martinez, as the paper pointed out. Finally an article in the Meridional that I was interested in. Finally someone had the guts to put something in the paper and tell everyone how terrible of a director they hired.
I agree there is no possible way we can get back to where we were in the 80's and 90's, but it could still be a nice place for our kids to go. We can blame Jerry (he is a very bad director), but let's look at the big picture. The problem starts at the top with Piazza. He don't care one bit about the kids. Can anyone tell me if he has ever been to any functions for the kids.He does attend the sound in the square though. What does Francis Plaisance, Joe Hardy and Wayne do for the kids. They are never there to support the kids, do they go to Abbeville High games do they do anything for the kids. No way they are all in the council position for one thing the check. Go around and see what is being done in the city right now to beautify Charity. Why isn't that done all year? Why aren't they at the parks to make them presentable to the public. You are on Francis Touchet behind, but at least he had the guts to tell it like it is. He does coach he coaches his son in football here. He does coach baseball in Erath, but his kids go there and always went there. When did it all go wrong I think people know when and why. Getting rid of Jerry is a step in the right direction, but getting new leadership downtown is the right answer.
gosh

Abbeville, LA

#4 Oct 8, 2012
Leadership wrote:
<quoted text>I agree there is no possible way we can get back to where we were in the 80's and 90's, but it could still be a nice place for our kids to go. We can blame Jerry (he is a very bad director), but let's look at the big picture. The problem starts at the top with Piazza. He don't care one bit about the kids. Can anyone tell me if he has ever been to any functions for the kids.He does attend the sound in the square though. What does Francis Plaisance, Joe Hardy and Wayne do for the kids. They are never there to support the kids, do they go to Abbeville High games do they do anything for the kids. No way they are all in the council position for one thing the check. Go around and see what is being done in the city right now to beautify Charity. Why isn't that done all year? Why aren't they at the parks to make them presentable to the public. You are on Francis Touchet behind, but at least he had the guts to tell it like it is. He does coach he coaches his son in football here. He does coach baseball in Erath, but his kids go there and always went there. When did it all go wrong I think people know when and why. Getting rid of Jerry is a step in the right direction, but getting new leadership downtown is the right answer.
Amen, very well said...thanks!!!
parent

Abbeville, LA

#5 Oct 9, 2012
Bring back Tommy Picard
MrsCuldesac

Houston, TX

#6 Oct 9, 2012
Well, Mr. Francis P promoted the BB gun contest, I was there & he surely was enjoying all the children! He may not be at games, I don't know I'm just posting what I've seen this past week! A fun and great function for all kids of different age groups! Okay, so now move on to those who do nothing for kids!
MrsCuldesac

Houston, TX

#7 Oct 9, 2012
Oh, and by the way where can u go pay $5.00, get a hot dog, drink, free water, a medal, a fun jump all day long & enter to win first place to a contest! And then overall winners get honored at a banquet? I'd say that's helping children! Thanks Mr Francis P
Leadership

United States

#8 Oct 9, 2012
MrsCuldesac wrote:
Well, Mr. Francis P promoted the BB gun contest, I was there & he surely was enjoying all the children! He may not be at games, I don't know I'm just posting what I've seen this past week! A fun and great function for all kids of different age groups! Okay, so now move on to those who do nothing for kids!
So you honestly think he was there for the kids or because he had to be as President of the Cattle Festival? How many football games as Francis P been to this season. He is the Council at Large representing the citizen of Abbeville. Now come on Francis P for the kids I don't think so he is for Franics P and Francis P only. I bet if Rob Roy calls him tomorrow and tells him that KATC will be at the games Sunday that he will run over there to be on TV. Francis P is the worse councilman we have had in our city since the city had councilman. Also, he is a graduate of AHS you think he has been to a game this season also our fair Mayor who is the Mayor of Abbeville which AHS is the only public school in his city. You think the mayor has ever been to a AHS game since he was elected. That is why things are like they are no support from City Hall at any sporting events for our kids. Is our city better than it was 8 years ago since plaisance has taken office. Surely not at Comeaux park.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#9 Oct 9, 2012
In my opinion the city should not be the sports business. The parks should be for all citizens to enjoy. Sports should be the school boards problem. I think it is a waste of tax payers money. I think Dr. Comeaux would roll over in his grave if he saw what has become of his gift to the citizens to of Abbeville.
miscellaneous

Abbeville, LA

#10 Oct 9, 2012
Most of the city teams (Erath included) are so much in a hurry to form All Star teams, that the kids who really need to be on a team to improve their skills and have fun at the same time do not get to. Biddy basketball was originally formed to develop basketball skills for ALL children. It has become the worst program that a child can participate in. The coaches hurry the season up so that an allstar team can be picked. Thus the kids who really need the coaching and practice, to improve their skills, never get a chance to. Biddy basketball also creates "ball hogs" that cannot play team ball when they get to an organized team, such as a school based team. I know of one young man who made the world biddy basketball team and played at Madison Square Garden. How excited was he when he came back to play in Abbeville. Too much, too soon.....that is what any type of All Star team is about. And if your father is a coach no matter how well you play, you are automatically on the team. Kids today have too much competition at a too early age. They are not ready socially for such competition, because when they get to a team that perhaps does not win.....they can't handle it because they are so used to winning. What happened to the days that youth sport was just to develop skills and have fun? Those days are gone.......and that's the sad part! Maybe if those days were brought back we wouldn't see so many young men being killed because their involvment with the wrong people or being in the wrong place at the wrong time. It's too bad that the egos of the volunteer coaches have gotten in the way....and changed the original premise of youth sport. Just saying!

Location hidden

#11 Oct 10, 2012
miscellaneous wrote:
Most of the city teams (Erath included) are so much in a hurry to form All Star teams, that the kids who really need to be on a team to improve their skills and have fun at the same time do not get to. Biddy basketball was originally formed to develop basketball skills for ALL children. It has become the worst program that a child can participate in. The coaches hurry the season up so that an allstar team can be picked. Thus the kids who really need the coaching and practice, to improve their skills, never get a chance to. Biddy basketball also creates "ball hogs" that cannot play team ball when they get to an organized team, such as a school based team. I know of one young man who made the world biddy basketball team and played at Madison Square Garden. How excited was he when he came back to play in Abbeville. Too much, too soon.....that is what any type of All Star team is about. And if your father is a coach no matter how well you play, you are automatically on the team. Kids today have too much competition at a too early age. They are not ready socially for such competition, because when they get to a team that perhaps does not win.....they can't handle it because they are so used to winning. What happened to the days that youth sport was just to develop skills and have fun? Those days are gone.......and that's the sad part! Maybe if those days were brought back we wouldn't see so many young men being killed because their involvment with the wrong people or being in the wrong place at the wrong time. It's too bad that the egos of the volunteer coaches have gotten in the way....and changed the original premise of youth sport. Just saying!
It's all just a big joke. The city should pull out of all forms of sports. The money would help more kids in they put it in to the boys and girls club. Bull doze those baseball diamonds and put a nice bike and walking trail. Maybe a dog park. Screw some sports. Very few benefit from sports. The people act like idiots at the events. Some of the parents are sicking the way they act in front of the kids. The city doesn't profit from this.
Family

United States

#12 Oct 13, 2012
Why wasn't there any games today. I passed at the park and it was empty

Location hidden

#13 Oct 13, 2012
Family wrote:
Why wasn't there any games today. I passed at the park and it was empty
Do you live in a different dimension? It's Cattle fest. The amusement workers stay in the park with their trailers and equipment.
Family

United States

#14 Oct 14, 2012
NOTFADEAWAY wrote:
<quoted text>Do you live in a different dimension? It's Cattle fest. The amusement workers stay in the park with their trailers and equipment.
Or really did Mr. Plaisance do a background check on all the workers and send a notice(which is required by law) if there are any sex offenders working for the street fair. I guess it doesn't matter to him he is worried about making a dollar instead of the welfare of our children.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Abbeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Next Abbeville Chief of Police (Oct '15) 5 hr chickeneasleer 94
Jobs at vpso Sat Link 6
BOE Customer Service Feb 17 Old Politician 2
Poll Should Monster/Redbull have an age limit for ch... (Dec '11) Feb 15 Jnassardeen 43
Donald Trump Feb 14 Hank 24
Coulee Kinney drainage tax renewal Feb 13 Discerner 7
abbeville youth program (Jan '16) Feb 8 yep 279

Abbeville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Abbeville Mortgages