Thought For The Day
MrsCuldesac

Houston, TX

#682 Feb 19, 2013
I once knew a Mr Smith who lived off West Port St here in Abbeville, he knew of the tree and had them in his property on West Port! But the property was sold I believe! It's hard to find from what he had told me! I can check with a few elderly friends, I may be able to locate you one! He had Mamou plants on the property also! Remember what those are used for huh? Lol lol

Since: Jul 10

Ventress

#683 Feb 19, 2013
MrsCuldesac wrote:
I once knew a Mr Smith who lived off West Port St here in Abbeville, he knew of the tree and had them in his property on West Port! But the property was sold I believe! It's hard to find from what he had told me! I can check with a few elderly friends, I may be able to locate you one! He had Mamou plants on the property also! Remember what those are used for huh? Lol lol
They used to grow like crazy on the fence lines and railroad right of ways. We had several large ones but they all died at the same time. The leaves are very unique having three types.
The vieux desmoans would make us pick leaves in July and august I think, carefully dry them and crush them in a wooden mortar and pestal into a very fine powder.
Everyone would have enough file' to last the year.
Along with basil and rosemary, file' is also one of my favorite cooking ingredients I use for many things....,top secret.... Not just gumbo.

Since: Jul 10

Ventress

#685 Feb 24, 2013
A lot of life lessons here.

&fe ature=youtube_gdata_player
MrsCuldesac

United States

#686 Feb 24, 2013
I thought the Mamou root, could be used if you would boil it, as a cough syrup? I may be wrong, it's been 22 yrs since I talked to Mr. Smith...but I think that's what he told me. And remember the Tacoble tree( don't know how to spell it)you could use the worms to fish with at certain times of the year! Good for Bass!!!!

Since: Jul 10

Ventress

#687 Feb 24, 2013
MrsCuldesac wrote:
I thought the Mamou root, could be used if you would boil it, as a cough syrup? I may be wrong, it's been 22 yrs since I talked to Mr. Smith...but I think that's what he told me. And remember the Tacoble tree( don't know how to spell it)you could use the worms to fish with at certain times of the year! Good for Bass!!!!
I read mamou seeds are poisonous. Don't know about the root. Sassafrass root is and was the original root beer compound and flavoring. Sassafrass leaves are file' and can be used as tea, although compounds in sassafrass have been proven to be carcinogenic. It's not something to used everyday.

Now, those worms sell for 15cents a piece today or ten cents in bulk and they come from the Catalpa tree. Which most people here pronounce backwards ( ca-top-la worm or ca-tob-la worm).
... And they are secret weapon bait...
Not to be broadcast on the Internet!!!!! Lol.
I don't think you know who could hook them properly. They have a thick skin but they are juicy and pop when you hook um fresh. Yum! Yum!
For the fishies that is.
no bait

Abbeville, LA

#688 Feb 24, 2013
Woodsman_1 wrote:
<quoted text>I read mamou seeds are poisonous. Don't know about the root. Sassafrass root is and was the original root beer compound and flavoring. Sassafrass leaves are file' and can be used as tea, although compounds in sassafrass have been proven to be carcinogenic. It's not something to used everyday.

Now, those worms sell for 15cents a piece today or ten cents in bulk and they come from the Catalpa tree. Which most people here pronounce backwards ( ca-top-la worm or ca-tob-la worm).
... And they are secret weapon bait...
Not to be broadcast on the Internet!!!!! Lol.
I don't think you know who could hook them properly. They have a thick skin but they are juicy and pop when you hook um fresh. Yum! Yum!
For the fishies that is.
We have had 1 in our yard for 6 years, its never produced worms??

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#689 Feb 24, 2013
I have three in different parts of the parish. I have never seen one damned worm. My oak trees seem to have had plenty last year. Damned things will sting the crap out of you!
no bait

Abbeville, LA

#690 Feb 24, 2013
NOTFADEAWAY wrote:
I have three in different parts of the parish. I have never seen one damned worm. My oak trees seem to have had plenty last year. Damned things will sting the crap out of you!
oh i hear you, them black ones are bad, step on one, it hurts. I think the worm tree is an old wives tale, if you know different please tell me..

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#691 Feb 24, 2013
The old Cajuns swear by it. I think the moths that used to make them must have become extinct. In thirty years of owning these trees I have never seen a worm. The trees I have are very old and none are bigger than a large crepe mertle.

Since: Jul 10

Ventress

#692 Feb 24, 2013
NOTFADEAWAY wrote:
The old Cajuns swear by it. I think the moths that used to make them must have become extinct. In thirty years of owning these trees I have never seen a worm. The trees I have are very old and none are bigger than a large crepe mertle.
It is my understanding that the tree must be innoculated first by placing worms on it so they my lay eggs. I the old days catalpa trees were planted in groves or orchards.
I have dozens of trees and find very few worms.
MrsCuldesac

United States

#693 Feb 25, 2013
Good morning, another miracle this morning 2nd Silky chick...lol tiny lil thing, but so cute. Boy my chicks would love those worms!!! Talking about Cheating, some was cheating in the coop!
How do you have a Black hen, Deep Red Mahogny Rooster, and come out with a blonde chick? Kmsl!!!! Went to the coop, & out peeks thus lil blonde bushy head! Lordy, see, it goes on everywhere, even in the COOP! Hope everyone has a great Monday!!
MrsCuldesac

United States

#694 Feb 25, 2013
Roflmao, go head tell me I posted it on the darn wrong Topic! Lol too early I really should get my glasses, oh well, y'all excuse!
Mitchell

Oklahoma City, OK

#696 Apr 12, 2013
I was saddened to learn of the passing of Johnathon Winters at 87, today. He was a genius and one of my favorite comedians.
Mitchell

Oklahoma City, OK

#697 Apr 25, 2013
In the beginning, God created  the earth and rested. Then God  created Man and rested. Then  God created Woman. Since then,  neither God nor Man has reste d.
...gotta love em...:)
MrsCuldesac

United States

#698 Apr 25, 2013
Lol lol
Mitchell

Oklahoma City, OK

#700 Apr 28, 2013
A business man got on an elevator in a building. When he entered the elevator, there was a blonde already inside and she greeted him by saying, "T-G-I-F " (letters only). He smiled at her and replied, "S-H-I-T " (letters only). "She looked at him, puzzled, and said, "T-G-I-F " again. He acknowledged her remark again by answering, "S-H-I-T. "The blond was trying to be friendly, so she smiled her biggest smile and said as sweetly as possibly "T-G-I-F " another time. The man smiled back to her and once again replied with a quizzical expression, "S-H-I-T. "The blond finally decided to explain things, and this time she said, "T-G-I-F,Thank Goodness It's Friday, get it? "The man answered, "Sorry, Honey, It's Thursday. "
Yep

Oklahoma City, OK

#701 Apr 28, 2013
Mitchell wrote:
A business man got on an elevator in a building. When he entered the elevator, there was a blonde already inside and she greeted him by saying, "T-G-I-F " (letters only). He smiled at her and replied, "S-H-I-T " (letters only). "She looked at him, puzzled, and said, "T-G-I-F " again. He acknowledged her remark again by answering, "S-H-I-T. "The blond was trying to be friendly, so she smiled her biggest smile and said as sweetly as possibly "T-G-I-F " another time. The man smiled back to her and once again replied with a quizzical expression, "S-H-I-T. "The blond finally decided to explain things, and this time she said, "T-G-I-F,Thank Goodness It's Friday, get it? "The man answered, "Sorry, Honey, It's Thursday. "
Lol good one...!!
Mitchell

Oklahoma City, OK

#703 May 7, 2013
A little boy, at a wedding looks at his mom and says, "Mommy, why does the girl wear white? "His mom replies, "The bride is in white because she's happy and this is the happiest day of her life. "The boy thinks about this, and then says, "Well then, why is the boy wearing black? "
Mitchell

Oklahoma City, OK

#706 May 8, 2013
An American tourist went into a restaurant in a Spanish provincial city for dinner, and asked to be served the specialty of the house. When the dish arrived, he asked what kind of meat it contained."Senor, these are the cojones," the waiter replied."The what, you say? " exclaimed the tourist."They are the testicles of the bull killed in the ring today," explained the waiter.
The tourist gulped but tasted the dish anyway, and found it delicious.
Returning the following evening, he asked for the same dish. After he finished the meal, the tourist commented to the waiter: "Today's cojones are much saltier and smaller than the ones I had yesterday. "True, senor," agreed the waiter. "You see the bull, he does not always lose. "
MrsCuldesac

Orange, TX

#707 May 8, 2013
Kmsl, good laugh.
Poor thing, see just when you think things are good, the bottom falls out!
Lol

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Abbeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Who will be Vermilion's next Sheriff? (Mar '10) 16 min Turkey Neck 1,878
Debate: Gay Marriage - Kaplan, LA 1 hr Norbert 41
Trump 2016 Fri CSA 11
Troy Noel Jul 1 Pilaf Jones 3
Poll Should Judge David Blanchet be removed from court (Jul '09) Jul 1 FIGHTINGFORGREATDADS 649
Vermilion Rabies and Animal Control Jun 29 feedback 2
Poll Who will be vermilions next sheriff? Jun 27 Nick 41
More from around the web

Abbeville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Abbeville Mortgages