boy i got some gossip fa yall
MrsCuldesac

Mobile, AL

#25 Feb 22, 2013
Kmsl, laughing my butt off, did y'all see that commercial from Cox? Where the mom and dad go to visit with their son, who is always looking for his fathers approval! Gosh it reminds me of someone, when he puts his hands in the air, grinning yippy!!! Looking as his precious mom!
It plays on channel 3 a lot ;)
Lets please say it right

Kaplan, LA

#26 Feb 22, 2013
Hey not fadeaway its Poo Roo with a R not a d it was Poo Roo Road just ask anyone from Kaplan who is 55 to 65 years old.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#27 Feb 22, 2013
Lets please say it right wrote:
Hey not fadeaway its Poo Roo with a R not a d it was Poo Roo Road just ask anyone from Kaplan who is 55 to 65 years old.
Sorry but I've never heard any one refer to Poo Roo. I also have never heard of Poo Roo rd. in Kaplan. Gueydan is where I leaned of this reference. You got Coon Asses and then you got Poo Doos. Perhaps the old folks should get updated. Or maybe you just misunderstood. Or perhaps it's pronounced like that in Cajun French. Can I get some input from any proud Poo Doos out there?

Location hidden

#28 Feb 22, 2013
I bet Poo Poo would know!
Lets please say it right

Kaplan, LA

#29 Feb 22, 2013
there was an old hermit who lived on PooRoo road thats why it was called that, PooRoo is cajun for a hermit

Location hidden

#30 Feb 22, 2013
I have been researching this and find that there is indeed a Poo Roo Rd. in Kaplan. This may well be the origins of this slang. It is however called Poo Doo. by the masses.

Location hidden

#31 Feb 22, 2013
there was an old hermit who lived on PooRoo road thats why it was called that, PooRoo is cajun for a hermit
Well nowadays Poo Doo refers to trashy nasty Coon Asses. Thank you for your info I have learned something today! It's good to know the origin.
Kaplan Woman

Kaplan, LA

#32 Feb 22, 2013
NOTFADEAWAY wrote:
I have been researching this and find that there is indeed a Poo Roo Rd. in Kaplan. This may well be the origins of this slang. It is however called Poo Doo. by the masses.
The facts are that many years ago there was a family of uneducated persons living on Merchant road connecting on the Northwest side of Kaplan that people called the poo rues, hence that road became known as poo roo road. There was a brother and sister, of which the brother later became a medical Doctor now retired due to health reasons, and their friend a Vincent boy who would terrorize the poo rues by driving by harassing and throwing bolder type rocks or stones at the house sometimes even at one or both boys in their yard and I believe sometimes firing a pistol at them. One time they went too far terrorizing the boys who shot back with a shot gun killing the Vincent Boy. They started attempting to propose to prosecute the boys, but some legal assistance stepped in pointing out that they actually acted in self defense fearing for their lives so all charges were dropped. The Poo Rue house is no longer on Merchant road and the Poo Rue family moved away from that area. End of true sad story.
Question

Gueydan, LA

#33 Feb 22, 2013
Kaplan Woman wrote:
<quoted text>
The facts are that many years ago there was a family of uneducated persons living on Merchant road connecting on the Northwest side of Kaplan that people called the poo rues, hence that road became known as poo roo road. There was a brother and sister, of which the brother later became a medical Doctor now retired due to health reasons, and their friend a Vincent boy who would terrorize the poo rues by driving by harassing and throwing bolder type rocks or stones at the house sometimes even at one or both boys in their yard and I believe sometimes firing a pistol at them. One time they went too far terrorizing the boys who shot back with a shot gun killing the Vincent Boy. They started attempting to propose to prosecute the boys, but some legal assistance stepped in pointing out that they actually acted in self defense fearing for their lives so all charges were dropped. The Poo Rue house is no longer on Merchant road and the Poo Rue family moved away from that area. End of true sad story.
What was the Vincent boy's name?
Kaplan Woman

Kaplan, LA

#34 Feb 22, 2013
Question wrote:
<quoted text>What was the Vincent boy's name?
Truthfully I do not remember the first name of the Vincent boy who was killed. I believe his Parents died some years ago, so I do not know who now lives in the pink brick house past the Meaux road just past the relatively new subdivision on the right side of Hwy 35.
???

Abbeville, LA

#35 Feb 22, 2013
Kaplan Woman wrote:
<quoted text>The facts are that many years ago there was a family of uneducated persons living on Merchant road connecting on the Northwest side of Kaplan that people called the poo rues, hence that road became known as poo roo road. There was a brother and sister, of which the brother later became a medical Doctor now retired due to health reasons, and their friend a Vincent boy who would terrorize the poo rues by driving by harassing and throwing bolder type rocks or stones at the house sometimes even at one or both boys in their yard and I believe sometimes firing a pistol at them. One time they went too far terrorizing the boys who shot back with a shot gun killing the Vincent Boy. They started attempting to propose to prosecute the boys, but some legal assistance stepped in pointing out that they actually acted in self defense fearing for their lives so all charges were dropped. The Poo Rue house is no longer on Merchant road and the Poo Rue family moved away from that area. End of true sad story.
How many years ago??
Kaplan Woman

Kaplan, LA

#36 Feb 22, 2013
[QUOTE who="???"]<quoted text>
How many years ago??[/QUOTE]

I really don't remember for sure, but I think it may have been some 45 or more years ago in the1960 to 1970 period.
Lets please say it right

Kaplan, LA

#37 Feb 23, 2013
Thank you Kaplan woman for your input in backing it up. The younger people do not know about the Poo Roo days and you got the story very correct. That is what really happened. It was a good place to park too. The people who lived in the days had better french understanding and now trying to say the word to the best of there ability it come out with a D instead of a R and yes it was the early 60's. And like the shirts say "Its A Kaplan Thing"

Location hidden

#38 Feb 23, 2013
Amazing how positive things can happen on Topix, contrary to the azz hole that started this thread. LMAO
MrsCuldesac

Mobile, AL

#39 Feb 23, 2013
This is how topix should be!
MrsCuldesac

Mobile, AL

#40 Feb 23, 2013
Oh my goodness, a miracle just hatched this morning, a multi colored Silky chick!:):) I shed a tear,,, my very first... Woody more Eggs!!! Lol lol

Woodsman_1

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#43 Feb 23, 2013
Thank you Kaplan woman for your input in backing it up. The younger people do not know about the Poo Roo days and you got the story very correct. That is what really happened. It was a good place to park too. The people who lived in the days had better french understanding and now trying to say the word to the best of there ability it come out with a D instead of a R and yes it was the early 60's. And like the shirts say "Its A Kaplan Thing"
You are absolutely correct about the phonics of the "R"!!!!!
Even in the old days, there was some corruption of the R from region to region. "V"s were commonly mispronounced, also. Not so much in the French lanquage. Mostly in the English lanquage.
My grandfather always pronounced these two words in this fashion:
Culvert=Culbert
Couvillion=Coubillion

whats the take

Abbeville, LA

#44 Feb 23, 2013
reading the origin of poo rue is sad what these boys went though what they endured by this Vincent boy for being Uneducated seems nothing to do with poo doo's poo doo's May Well Be Educated, just trashy nothing to do with an r or d two different words two different meanings as Cajun or Coonass are familier but yet different
sum say a Cajun is an Educated Coonass

Woodsman_1

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#45 Feb 23, 2013
whats the take wrote:
reading the origin of poo rue is sad what these boys went though what they endured by this Vincent boy for being Uneducated seems nothing to do with poo doo's poo doo's May Well Be Educated, just trashy nothing to do with an r or d two different words two different meanings as Cajun or Coonass are familier but yet different
sum say a Cajun is an Educated Coonass
Very good analogy but you missed the point. Although it probably won't change a thing.
There is no such thing as a poo doo.
It's a corrupted saying.
MrsCuldesac

United States

#46 Feb 23, 2013
Lol educated to me is being a SURVIVOR! I'm proud to be a Cajun, coonazz, & a Culdesac! Hehe.... Educated is having a passion for LIFE!
Some of the most poo doo peoPle have the biggest heart! Lol true!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Abbeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Greed will bring you down 7 min Destiny 2
Poll Who is responsible for the Oil Spill? (May '10) 16 hr Little Chung 1,013
Cox cable will lower your bill if you do what I... (Sep '11) Apr 19 Radge1966 82
qsa Apr 18 Yeah right 10
Snagglepuss Apr 17 Bruh 3
Bright light Apr 16 Jupiter 2
Best psychic in duson (Aug '11) Apr 11 Treed73 29

Abbeville Jobs

Personal Finance

Abbeville Mortgages