Abbeville High freshman killed in accident

Posted in the Abbeville Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
babylove

Lafayette, LA

#1 Feb 14, 2009
ERATH - An Abbeville High freshman was killed and four others injured Friday night in a single-vehicle accident on La. 339 - north of Erath.
Kurt Adam Baggs, 16, died in the accident, which occurred around 11 p.m.
Baggs attended Abbeville High but lived in Delcambre for the last couple of months. He was a long-time resident of Stephansville, La.
According the Louisiana State Police report, their truck was going northbound on La. 339 when, for reasons still under investigation, the truck ran off the road, struck a culvert, then a tree and overturned coming to a rest upside down on the shoulder of the road.
Two teen-agers were trapped and had to be extricated from the vehicle.
A 16-year-old female was driving, and according to the state police report, drugs are suspected.
The driver was charged with careless operation, first DWI and vehicular homicide.
Timothy Shakes, 17 of Abbeville, was injured and transported to Abbeville General Hospital. Other injured were a 16-year-old female and male from Delcambre.
XxXemoXgirlXxX

Lafayette, LA

#2 Feb 14, 2009
R.I.P. KURT ADAM BAGGS
KURT WAS A NICE FREINDLY GUY AND NICE WITH THE SPED KIDS
Barney

Crowley, LA

#3 Feb 14, 2009
babylove wrote:
ERATH - An Abbeville High freshman was killed and four others injured Friday night in a single-vehicle accident on La. 339 - north of Erath.
Kurt Adam Baggs, 16, died in the accident, which occurred around 11 p.m.
Baggs attended Abbeville High but lived in Delcambre for the last couple of months. He was a long-time resident of Stephansville, La.
According the Louisiana State Police report, their truck was going northbound on La. 339 when, for reasons still under investigation, the truck ran off the road, struck a culvert, then a tree and overturned coming to a rest upside down on the shoulder of the road.
Two teen-agers were trapped and had to be extricated from the vehicle.
A 16-year-old female was driving, and according to the state police report, drugs are suspected.
The driver was charged with careless operation, first DWI and vehicular homicide.
Timothy Shakes, 17 of Abbeville, was injured and transported to Abbeville General Hospital. Other injured were a 16-year-old female and male from Delcambre.
So sad and completely avoidable. I hope this is our only teenage driving death this scool year.
So sad.
correction

AOL

#4 Feb 14, 2009
the kid actually goes to delcambre High..the funeral home made mistake in the obit, and first put Abbeville High....but changed it later Saturday.
Just wondering

AOL

#5 Feb 15, 2009
Arrangements yet?
Red High Heels

AOL

#6 Feb 15, 2009
I saw the arrangements on Vincent's Funeral home site
sprite0

Rayne, LA

#7 Feb 15, 2009
i use to live not far from where it happened. i hate that road, no room for error, there is absolutely no shoulder. i dont think any alcohol or drugs were involved, she dropped her cell phone and was reaching for it and lost control. right at that point where it happened i bet there is not 6" of shoulder.
boatlander

Rayne, LA

#8 Feb 15, 2009
This stretch of highway has many serious accidents each year. We only hear of the one where there is a death. I have lived near that area for ten years. I see at least two serious accidents there each year. I'll bet there are many more I don't personally see. It's a bad stretch of highway for sure.
Agreed

Rayne, LA

#9 Feb 15, 2009
sprite0 wrote:
i use to live not far from where it happened. i hate that road, no room for error, there is absolutely no shoulder. i dont think any alcohol or drugs were involved, she dropped her cell phone and was reaching for it and lost control. right at that point where it happened i bet there is not 6" of shoulder.
I don't think drugs were involved, either. I wonder why the police said that to an already grieving family.
MrsCuldesac

United States

#10 Feb 16, 2009
Kurt was a very sweet kid, he came over to our home to talk motor cycle talk with my son several times. Just always very polite, my son watched again this morning on the news and said Mom how sad, he was too young to go this way. Our family will remember him and our prayers go out to his family in this tragic time.
Red High Heels

AOL

#11 Feb 16, 2009
What a sad story. I do not know the kid but I feel for his family and friends. Life is too short
la-a

Franklin, LA

#12 Feb 16, 2009
there were drugs and drinking going on at the time of the accident
Mrsculdesac

United States

#13 Feb 16, 2009
and, your point?
i bet

Avery Island, LA

#14 Feb 17, 2009
check out his myspace and tell me again you think drugs and alcohol weren't a factor.
concerned parent

Crowley, LA

#15 Feb 17, 2009
Mrsculdesac I know it is hard to believe drugs or alcohol were a factor however as parents we really need to stress to our inexperienced kids that driving is a huge responsibility. NO DRUG or ALCOHOL EVER (driving or not) and if you drop something in the car pull over to get it. There is no room for mistakes on most of our rural roads and kids forget that. However if drugs or alcohol were involved, other kids need to know that this is the reality of what can happen. It makes it real to a group that has no fear of death because they are so young and have the beauty of innocences.
I feel really sad for the family that lost a son. I also feel great sorrow for the driver who has to live with this forever.
Mrsculdesac

United States

#16 Feb 17, 2009
i bet wrote:
check out his myspace and tell me again you think drugs and alcohol weren't a factor.
I cannot believe you stooped that low to go and look at this boys myspace? Do you have a child? What if it were your child? I can't say anything I have a young teenager & all you can do is show them the right path & hope they take it, and love them. You never did crazy things when you were young, people often forget and just want to judge kids. Kids is the word, they were kids,its horrible what happened, let it rest!A young boy is dead,pray for him instead of making a gossip out of his death! sorry if I seem angry, but this is enough...
The Truth Please

Rayne, LA

#17 Feb 17, 2009
What a sad set of events. I wish only the best for this family if their time of greef.
Mrsculdesac

United States

#18 Feb 17, 2009
concerned parent wrote:
Mrsculdesac I know it is hard to believe drugs or alcohol were a factor however as parents we really need to stress to our inexperienced kids that driving is a huge responsibility. NO DRUG or ALCOHOL EVER (driving or not) and if you drop something in the car pull over to get it. There is no room for mistakes on most of our rural roads and kids forget that. However if drugs or alcohol were involved, other kids need to know that this is the reality of what can happen. It makes it real to a group that has no fear of death because they are so young and have the beauty of innocences.
I feel really sad for the family that lost a son. I also feel great sorrow for the driver who has to live with this forever.
I am a mother of three and grandmother of two, and drinking and drugs are a death sentence to a driver. You are very correct, but what upset me the most about the post is that its adults mostly who post and read on here. My teenager and his friends do not come on topix, so to post even to go and look at someones Myspace and judge a kid is not nice after the fact. If I was the mother it would hurt me at a time like this! There is a time and a place for everything. Yes this should be a wake up call for all kids and adults!. I thank God everyday my son does not drink at the age of 17 nor does he do drugs, and it is his decision to take the drug test on occasions,I'm proud to say he has passed everyone. He does have friends however that do drink & I do always pray he makes the right decision to not ride with the friends who choose to drink & drive! But you have to feel for the parents of the child who was driving and the parents of Kurt. Give them respect they are
grieving.
You know my son recieved a ticket just the other day, improper seat belt usage. He was so scared to tell me, because every time before he leaves the house I remind him to put on his seat belt! He knew how it would upset me, and said Mom I'm sorry I didn't listen. I told him its a wake up call son, it could of been a lot worse. A deadly accident. For the past two days he tells me, Mom wear your seat belt, with a slight grin and a chuckle. I love that kid!!!!!!
brutilossa

Rayne, LA

#19 Feb 17, 2009
Mrsculdesac wrote:
<quoted text>
I am a mother of three and grandmother of two, and drinking and drugs are a death sentence to a driver. You are very correct, but what upset me the most about the post is that its adults mostly who post and read on here. My teenager and his friends do not come on topix, so to post even to go and look at someones Myspace and judge a kid is not nice after the fact. If I was the mother it would hurt me at a time like this! There is a time and a place for everything. Yes this should be a wake up call for all kids and adults!. I thank God everyday my son does not drink at the age of 17 nor does he do drugs, and it is his decision to take the drug test on occasions,I'm proud to say he has passed everyone. He does have friends however that do drink & I do always pray he makes the right decision to not ride with the friends who choose to drink & drive! But you have to feel for the parents of the child who was driving and the parents of Kurt. Give them respect they are
grieving.
You know my son recieved a ticket just the other day, improper seat belt usage. He was so scared to tell me, because every time before he leaves the house I remind him to put on his seat belt! He knew how it would upset me, and said Mom I'm sorry I didn't listen. I told him its a wake up call son, it could of been a lot worse. A deadly accident. For the past two days he tells me, Mom wear your seat belt, with a slight grin and a chuckle. I love that kid!!!!!!
Cops use that no seatbelt crap as an excuse to stop you and look for stuff more serious like no proof of insurance.
It is not worth their time to stop someone for a $25 ticket.
I tinted my windows. The cops don't know if my seatbelt is on or off, plus it is a lot cooler in the summertime.
i bet

Avery Island, LA

#20 Feb 17, 2009
brutilossa wrote:
<quoted text>
Cops use that no seatbelt crap as an excuse to stop you and look for stuff more serious like no proof of insurance.
It is not worth their time to stop someone for a $25 ticket.
I tinted my windows. The cops don't know if my seatbelt is on or off, plus it is a lot cooler in the summertime.
that's how most drugs are found - from routine traffic stops. so be glad they stop for no seat belt, expired tags, etc. It takes the drugs off the street, as well as finds those people w/warrants.
stop making excuses.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Abbeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
nvms 42 min huh 5
Wassup with Chief Rost? 1 hr Jealousy is the d... 52
Billy Mire Benefit 2 hr Jimmie Breaux 1
Meaux Elementary 6 hr sad 2
Harson VS Stutes (Mar '14) 12 hr Full of lies 377
Should Judge David Blanchet be removed from court (Jul '09) Thu CScase 625
Nick Faciane (Oct '10) Oct 22 Interested 54
Abbeville Dating
Find my Match

Abbeville Jobs

Abbeville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Abbeville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Abbeville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]