Off the beaten path
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Giggled

Abbeville, LA

#1 Jun 25, 2012
Are there any other interesting sites in or near Abbeville? I know about the grotto on live oak road.(They are building a board walk behind the grotto!)

Also, a little side question, what is at the end of live oak road?(Besides the huge gate.)
Erathian

United States

#2 Jun 25, 2012
It's called Bancker, google Bancker La, wish my grandpa was still alive he grew up there and is buried in the Bancker Cemetary

“Karma is my friend”

Since: Feb 11

Look over your shoulder

#3 Jun 25, 2012
Did your Grampa tell you about the time when PeeDoo's barge got busted? It was that bust that initiated the investigation of General Noriega's drug traficking and resulted in his imprisonment. Ever read the NY Times?

OK, looks like my red paint is dry and I can advance to orange....hope the rain up here lets up soon.
Giggled

Abbeville, LA

#4 Jun 25, 2012
Thank you. I would have never know that it was Bancker. I always thought it was Abbeville. The story of the plantation was very educational. Again, thank you.
NOTFADEAWAY

Fort Worth, TX

#5 Jun 25, 2012
Dawn Marcelle wrote:
Did your Grampa tell you about the time when PeeDoo's barge got busted? It was that bust that initiated the investigation of General Noriega's drug traficking and resulted in his imprisonment. Ever read the NY Times?
OK, looks like my red paint is dry and I can advance to orange....hope the rain up here lets up soon.
lol @ Dawn that was funny.
Unbelievable

United States

#6 Jun 26, 2012
At the end of the road is a private estate called Live Oak Plantation, where there is farming of rice, maybe cane (not sure), alligator farming, some oil and gas production, private hunting... It's a beautiful place.nnwhen I was young, my grandfather was friends with the caretaker there. We used to go riding and visiting there. They had beautiful orchards, too. That was wayyyyyyy before the locked gates. There is a lovely lodge back there, and lots of cattle on the grounds... It used to be owned by the Godchaux family, who once owned Riviana Rice Mill. Not sure who owns it now, possibly their descendants.
Erathian

United States

#7 Jun 26, 2012
Dawn Marcelle wrote:
My Grandpa was born there in 1908 in sure that was way before drug bust, only good stories, we are all positive people.
MrsCuldesac

Santa Barbara, CA

#8 Jun 26, 2012
The son lives there. Its a beautiful place, very family rooted! We did some work there many many years ago. BANKER, is such a special place to me. I remember taking my daughters their to listen to French music. The folks would sit on their front porches.
Bystander

United States

#9 Jun 26, 2012
Dawn Marcelle wrote:
You need to get a real life!!
lol

Abbeville, LA

#10 Jun 26, 2012
Dawn Marcelle wrote:

damm Debbie Downer types again MUST SUCK to be you nothing postive in your life. us cajuns us always laissez les bon temps roulez your not cajun, And will never have the cajun Joie de Vivre "WANT A BE"" lol lol
to Dawn Marcelle

New Iberia, LA

#11 Jun 26, 2012
Your a dumba$$...get a life, all you do is comment on every post...go get laid...
NOPE

Abbeville, LA

#12 Jun 26, 2012
No we like her stories. (TRUTH)

Woodsman_1

Since: Jul 10

Ventress

#13 Jun 26, 2012
MrsCuldesac wrote:
The son lives there. Its a beautiful place, very family rooted! We did some work there many many years ago. BANKER, is such a special place to me. I remember taking my daughters their to listen to French music. The folks would sit on their front porches.
Was the music live and can you recall any of the players?
Luvs me sum KBON and KRVS on Sunday.!

“Karma is my friend”

Look over your shoulder

#14 Jun 26, 2012
Woodsman_1 wrote:
<quoted text>Was the music live and can you recall any of the players?
Luvs me sum KBON and KRVS on Sunday.!
Awwww, you especially gotta love them classics from DL. I can remember a couple crawfish boils on Roland's back porch where the Sheriff made DL sing for us until his throat hurt. Cajun life at its finest. No, Kermit wasn't there in case you were wondering.

Woodsman_1

Ventress

#15 Jun 26, 2012
Dawn Marcelle wrote:
<quoted text>Awwww, you especially gotta love them classics from DL. I can remember a couple crawfish boils on Roland's back porch where the Sheriff made DL sing for us until his throat hurt. Cajun life at its finest. No, Kermit wasn't there in case you were wondering.
I do love DL's music. I respect it. I've defended it. I've lived it. I've defended it on topix once before.
Exactly what do you do at a crawfish boil when you don't eat crawfish?

“Karma is my friend”

Look over your shoulder

#16 Jun 26, 2012
Woodsman_1 wrote:
<quoted text>I do love DL's music. I respect it. I've defended it. I've lived it. I've defended it on topix once before.
Exactly what do you do at a crawfish boil when you don't eat crawfish?
Personally, I would eat potatoes and corn and clap to the music. Then offer DL a cool drink for his throat.

Woodsman_1

Ventress

#17 Jun 26, 2012
How can you turn the most simplest of questions into a pissing match?
I wanna know MrsC's answer to a life experience she considered positive. Quite frankly, I believe music, heritage and knowledge of foregone eras can move many kids in a forward direction.
Unlike the music of today!!!!
French Music offers many oppurtunites. The offering of a second lanquage and the history of a tormented people who suffered for generations because of politics.
Nothing you can say can demean or change the music!!!!!
spending time

Abbeville, LA

#18 Jun 26, 2012
I'm in the oilfield business and used to visit some wells on live oak. That piece of property is beautiful and before the storms the deer were so plentiful they would walk along side your vehicle as you passed. I went a few times after the storms and hadn't seen much wildlife but everything else is back to normal. I wish they would allow people back there just to look because it's like stepping back in history. Great place

Woodsman_1

Ventress

#19 Jun 26, 2012
Dawn Marcelle wrote:
<quoted text>Personally, I would eat potatoes and corn and clap to the music. Then offer DL a cool drink for his throat.
No you wouldn't. You would never eat anything that came out of crawfish water.
You just called DL a fool for being a sheriff stooge.
DL would be drinkin' beer not a cool drink!
And if you clapped, it would all be a show because you just said the sheriff was using him till his voice was raw and you were promoting it.

“Karma is my friend”

Look over your shoulder

#20 Jun 26, 2012
Woodsman_1 wrote:
How can you turn the most simplest of questions into a pissing match?
I wanna know MrsC's answer to a life experience she considered positive. Quite frankly, I believe music, heritage and knowledge of foregone eras can move many kids in a forward direction.
Unlike the music of today!!!!
French Music offers many oppurtunites. The offering of a second lanquage and the history of a tormented people who suffered for generations because of politics.
Nothing you can say can demean or change the music!!!!!
Who's pissing in the wind?

DL was gracious enough to share our back porch and give us a once in a lifetime experience to hear a Hall of Famer singing GOLDEN oldies at the request of the Sheriff. I would never take anything away from DL and his talent. Jolie Blonde...WOW! He told us all about how he wrote that song for his daughter and it was that confession which inspired me to translate the lyrics from French to English just so I could understand the passion in his voice and look in his eyes while he sang it.

There is nothing in my heart that would want to demean the Cajun Master of Song. But I talked to him personally and he was only there, on my back porch, because nobody says no to the Sheriff.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Abbeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Abbeville man accused of beating girlfriend, tr... Thu Kylie 7
abbeville lawyer arrested (Sep '09) Jul 24 Marky 20
Poll Should Monster/Redbull have an age limit for ch... (Dec '11) Jul 23 Ejallen03 34
abbeville youth program (Jan '16) Jul 23 huh 271
why does the sheriff keep deleting my thread Jul 22 Pres O 32
Cox cable will lower your bill if you do what I... (Sep '11) Jul 13 Florida and cox c... 58
Looking for Shane Leblanc aka Shane Romero (Apr '13) Jul 12 sho nuf 149

Abbeville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Abbeville Mortgages