While mom took care of others, she got taken

Full story: Chicago Tribune

This is a Mother's Day column for Lessie Towns, 75, who is called "Mom" by her neighbors and has lived in her brick Chicago bungalow in the 9400 block of South Ada Street for almost 40 years.
Comments
21 - 40 of 52 Comments Last updated Jul 23, 2013
Jimmy Placebo

United States

#26 May 9, 2009
Gullible people get screwed by smarter people, it's the financial food chain. Don't sign anything that had to do with ownership of your house until you get a lawyer to check it out, a couple of hundred for the lawyer is cheaper than buying a new house.
Annie

Franklin Square, NY

#27 May 9, 2009
"Okay we already know. All GWB's fault. The sucker citizens keep buying that line, we'll keep feeding it.
Barry Hussein will save her, he's got some real estate connections. Oh wait, Rezko's in jail. Barry will have to call some other "FRIENDS".
Crooked is as crooked does."

Well said...

This is a horrific story. I hope everything goes well for this woman and she saves her home.
Sturgis Drain

Chicago, IL

#28 May 9, 2009
Jimmy Placebo wrote:
Gullible people get screwed by smarter people, it's the financial food chain. Don't sign anything that had to do with ownership of your house until you get a lawyer to check it out, a couple of hundred for the lawyer is cheaper than buying a new house.
Yeah, but what happens to people who got to lawyer Paul L. Shelton for advice?
BumbleBee

AOL

#29 May 9, 2009
Kass is a pretty cool guy to have on your side.
big guy

Pasadena, MD

#30 May 9, 2009
Doesn't the poor old lady have a Italian son-in-law!
big guy

Pasadena, MD

#31 May 9, 2009
M's Towns go find an Italian so-in-law.
WCCH

Naperville, IL

#32 May 9, 2009
I hope when the State's Attorney gets her mind off the next election and back on the job, this lawyer will be placed under arrest. Then Ms Towns should retain her own lawyer and sue this guy out of his home.
Rico Youngblood

Glendale, AZ

#33 May 9, 2009
Lawyer Shelton should be dragged out of his Hinsdale home on Mother's Day, beaten with a Louisville Slugger baseball bat, then shot like a dog. Then drag him back into the house and show his family what happens to rats. Hopefully it will send a message to those tight @sses.
PLM

Romeoville, IL

#34 May 9, 2009
I personally vow the first time I see Shelton in person I will kick his teeth in. May I suggest any other able body man or women make the same pledge, it is time we start to take matters into our own hands.
Anita

Rocky Mount, VA

#37 May 9, 2009
What an absolute crying shame!!! Shame, Shame, Shame!!! on you Mr. Shelton!!! Hell has a special section for people like you!!!

All lawyers...and I MEAN ALL lawyers are crooks and skunks and evil beasts!!!

Mr. Kass...this is a wonderful article of exposure of the evil you have in Chicago town.
Chicago

Greenwood, IN

#38 May 9, 2009
Cherry Hill - it's entirely possible that she remortgaged her house in order to:
1) Make some much-needed home repairs.
2) Pay for her children's medical bills.
3) Pay for adopting that 5 year old.
4) Something else
5) All of the above.

Remortgages happen all the time.

I'm praying that this woman keeps her house. Keep us informed, Kass.
Cate

United States

#39 May 9, 2009
Where were her children, you know the adult college educated children? How did they let this happen to their mother?

Where are all the tv preachers? No where to be found because this poor woman raised kids that are not jail birds or collecting welfare. I hope she can keep her home.
Arianna Huffingten

United States

#40 May 9, 2009
Obama = "Trust One".
Lassie Towns ' "American Taxpayers".
sealbee

Lincoln, NE

#41 May 9, 2009
Cate wrote:
Where were her children, you know the adult college educated children? How did they let this happen to their mother?
Where are all the tv preachers? No where to be found because this poor woman raised kids that are not jail birds or collecting welfare. I hope she can keep her home.
Don't know about the children, article said she lost a couple of them. But the TV preachers, well, you got have a TV camera there first. Get one at the lady's house, if you get one, they will come...
an opinion

Algonquin, IL

#42 May 10, 2009
Hey Paul, what did you get your mother for Mother's Day?

Hey Paul's mother, did you know you raised such a rat?

And to the point about the kids in her business, I was never involved with my mom's money matters, she didn't make it any of my business and I went to college.

Can't take it with you, your suppose to earn it and share it, not steal it.

I bet if Paul read those few words, he wouldn't comprehend them or understand what the word earn means.
just bob

Schaumburg, IL

#43 May 10, 2009
That"s life in the big slum of chicago loaded with bottom feeders and slim the chicago way,guess what another one saying a reverend like jesse
Lee

Chicago, IL

#44 May 10, 2009
Chicago wrote:
Cherry Hill - it's entirely possible that she remortgaged her house in order to:
1) Make some much-needed home repairs.
2) Pay for her children's medical bills.
3) Pay for adopting that 5 year old.
4) Something else
5) All of the above.
Remortgages happen all the time.
I'm praying that this woman keeps her house. Keep us informed, Kass.
Sorry, I don't buy it:
1. Home repairs--you are not paying a mortgage anymore--use that money for repairs.(I did)
2. No indication of medical bills or Kass would have mentioned it.
3. A woman that old should not be adopting a five-year-old. Is this an adoption or a special needs placement? In the latter case, the state is paying her.
4. What else?
5. None of the above.
I paid off my mortgage, my house needed repairs, and the vultures came. I told them to take a hike since I wasn't dumb enough to get into debt again.
Rose

Pleasanton, CA

#46 May 10, 2009
That man should be stripped of his home as well !
How would he if a leach like him did this to his mother.
I hope Lisa Madigan is the tough cookie she always is in this case

Since: Oct 08

Cleveland, OH

#47 May 10, 2009
Lee wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, I don't buy it:
1. Home repairs--you are not paying a mortgage anymore--use that money for repairs.(I did)
2. No indication of medical bills or Kass would have mentioned it.
3. A woman that old should not be adopting a five-year-old. Is this an adoption or a special needs placement? In the latter case, the state is paying her.
4. What else?
5. None of the above.
I paid off my mortgage, my house needed repairs, and the vultures came. I told them to take a hike since I wasn't dumb enough to get into debt again.
It says that all 5 of her kids went to college...I'm guessing she may have re-fi'd for that years ago.

Since: Oct 08

Cleveland, OH

#48 May 10, 2009
Anita wrote:
All lawyers...and I MEAN ALL lawyers are crooks and skunks and evil beasts!!!
What a smart, informed person you are.

Too bad all the good attorneys, and there are plenty of them, won't know your true feelings when you come crying in your hour of need.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min woodtick57 1,100,589
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 18 min Jacques from Ottawa 177,411
who here likes pooping themself either in a dia... 29 min poopforluck 1
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 hr Yumpin Yimminy 68,380
Word (Dec '08) 2 hr Crazy Jae 4,657
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 2 hr J RULES 68,997
Song Titles Only (group/artist in parenthesis m... (Mar '10) 3 hr Candy4Me 7,751
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 6 hr edogxxx 97,938
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••