Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas declares cease-fire

Israeli troops began withdrawing from the Gaza Strip on Sunday after Hamas declared a cease-fire, setting the stage for intensified international efforts to arrange a durable truce after a 22-day war against ... Full Story

“Yee vizz”

Since: Dec 12

Central Connecticut

#71916 Sep 10, 2013
Freedom Terrister wrote:
<quoted text>
since big screen is my thang, and not having enough time to sleep as it is..... don't know much about TV land beyond the professionally necessary basics, obvi.
Maybe Dexter is appealing to you because of Miami setting (shot in Cali though, IIRC).
from what I know about it, Dexter has a reputation as having an interesting borderline ground-breaking concept/central character absolutely RUINED by the fact that it's been run by a revolving-door of hacks (unlike, say, BB benefitting greatly singular Vince Gilligan vision).
Its saving grace is basically MCH and underrated JCarp.
i'll say this about it: I remember you scoffing at me for suggesting psychopathy, suicide, anti-semitism and other "dark" subjects can be extremely rich for all kinds of exploration & dramatization.... but in Dexter's case, one Lindsay character can basically spawn a 10-year franchise, LOL. The gory stuff is secondary; just as epidemiologists learned more about the immune system in first 2 years of AIDS than they did in previous 2000 years combined, similarly a smug sociopath like ol' Dex does reveal a motherload about human nature/condition. In that sense chracter of Deb is just as important.
Anyway, since Topix itself was a bit of a guilty pleasure, can't begrudge you for some Dex fun.
Poor Deborrah, though. Despite best efforts on part of the showrunners to white-wash Dex, her older bro whom she apparently worshipped turned out to be a sadistic, uber-selfish asshole whose antics caused her to go from adorably foul-mouthed, at times dorky tom-boy... albeit with major daddy issues.... but also fiersely loyal with huge heart & moral compass -- in other words right in my wheelhouse, hahaha
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =YwMGuCHWLcUXX
to this
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
http://www.sho.com/sho/dexter/video/
cagney and lacey (sp) ladies won 6 consecuvive Emmy's back in 1980s... and yet JCarp hasn't even been nominated once despite playing a fun, original character, putting up with both Dexter's mega-douchebaggery AND the aformentioned hacks that are the show's writers who have seemingly character assissanated her with guslo.
like I said, while TV quality has improved by leaps and bounds in the last decade, in many ways it is still the slums :)
Breaking bad
Homeland
Longmire

That's how much TV has improved. I'm an addict and up to date on previous seasons, waiting for the new ones. Of course, Braking Bad is going the way of Sopranos. I hope they change their fcuked up minds.

“Yee vizz”

Central Connecticut

#71917 Sep 10, 2013
Ray Donovan
Newsroom
Veep
Striking Back
(Cable but still TV.)
Dexter and Vampire crap doesn't do it for me.

“For God & Country”

Since: Aug 13

The Promised Land Illinois

#71918 Sep 10, 2013
YesWeCan wrote:
The low life Israelis are getting ready to get owned, even the American greedy low life Jew can't save them. WWIII coming soon and will resemble the WWII holocaust for the Jew, if you think about it, it was only 68 years ago that my savior Hitler was doing his magic.
Seek Help! Put the bottle down and call for help! It is sad to see someone like you so bitter and lonely. And if he was a savior why did he blow out his brains. Hitler Weak willed male prostate with delusions of grandeur followed by sheep to the slaughter. To put it bluntly HE WAS A LOSER!
Uzi

Kfar Saba, Israel

#71919 Sep 10, 2013
Get the violins out.

Erdogan: Rejection of Istanbul as host of 2020 Olympic games was "cutting ties with the 1.5-billion-people Muslim world"
Of course. Any time an Islamic supremacist like Erdogan doesn't get his way, it must be because of "Islamophobia."

"Erdogan says Istanbul rejection as 2020 host was unfair," from Reuters, September 9:

ANKARA: The choice of Tokyo instead of Istanbul to host the 2020 Olympic Games was unfair and meant the International Olympic Committee (IOC) was turning its back on the Muslim world, Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan was quoted as saying on Monday.
Tokyo beat Istanbul by 60 votes to 36 in a head-to-head vote by IOC members in Buenos Aires on Saturday, giving the Japanese capital the Games for the second time. Madrid had been eliminated in a first round of voting.

"Both Tokyo and Madrid have hosted the games before; Istanbul hasn't. It hasn't been fair," Erdogan was quoted as saying in Turkish media. "In a way, they are cutting ties with the 1.5-billion-people Muslim world."...
Uzi

Kfar Saba, Israel

#71920 Sep 10, 2013
Oh those innocent muslim shit people..

29% of released Guantanamo detainees have returned to jihad
And why not? Nothing is done at Guantanamo to make them change their views on anything. Guards handle the Qur'an with gloves to avoid offending the Muslims who believe that infidels are too unclean to touch it. The puzzle here is why the percentage is so low. "More Former Guantanamo Bay Detainees Return To Terrorism," by Jeryl Bier for the Weekly Standard, September 9:

An unclassified version of a September report from the Director of National Intelligence reveals that another five former Guantanamo Bay detainees have either been confirmed as reengaging in terrorism or are suspected of doing so. The report comes just as a judge in Algeria has approved parole of two detainees recently transferred to Algerian custody from the Cuba-based detention facility.

Of the 603 former detainees tracked by US intelligence services, a total of 100 have now been confirmed as reengaging in "terrorism" or "insurgent" activities, while another 74 are suspected of reengaging. This brings the total rate of recidivism to nearly 29 percent, up from 28 percent as of the last report six months ago....

“Yee vizz”

Central Connecticut

#71922 Sep 10, 2013
Occupy-Chicago wrote:
<quoted text>
Seek Help! Put the bottle down and call for help! It is sad to see someone like you so bitter and lonely. And if he was a savior why did he blow out his brains. Hitler Weak willed male prostate with delusions of grandeur followed by sheep to the slaughter. To put it bluntly HE WAS A LOSER!
She's affectionately known here as Shitcan. She's a crack addict that reaches out for human contact during her lucid moments. I wouldn't give her any play as she keeps coming back for some recognition, no matter how small. Insults turn her on. She will go away, as usual, until the meds wear off. Don't waste your time. JMHO.

“For God & Country”

Since: Aug 13

The Promised Land Illinois

#71923 Sep 10, 2013
Yumpin Yimminy wrote:
<quoted text>
She's affectionately known here as Shitcan. She's a crack addict that reaches out for human contact during her lucid moments. I wouldn't give her any play as she keeps coming back for some recognition, no matter how small. Insults turn her on. She will go away, as usual, until the meds wear off. Don't waste your time. JMHO.
Thank you will keep that in mind
Have fun all and be safe

“Yee vizz”

Central Connecticut

#71924 Sep 11, 2013
Boardwalk Empire
Freedom Terrister

Chicago, IL

#71925 Sep 11, 2013
TRD wrote:
<quoted text>I know if I was a voting Emmy judge, I'd award by cup size, which I believe is where Ms. Carpenter comes up short. Before you go off on my one dimensional approach think of all the truly great cleavage in the history of the Oscars. TV is a far younger medium that is just now coming into it's post-deregulation self.
lol, nah you mentioned missing MCH, i was just off-handedly pointing out that not only Deborrah Morgan only got unbelievably screwed over and over by both her older sibling and father -- I'd blown my brains out like 3 times by now.... but that even the actress playing her Jennifer Carpenter had to rise above years of, alternatively, atrociously unimaginative and then ridiculously implausible writing-- and if that weren't not enough, even the Emmy's snubbed her (while perennially nominating her ex-hustand).

Surresli, have you seen a single episode of so called Emmy darlings of yore like aformentioned Cagney and Lacey? Sure technically wasn't even born when it orginally aired, but come on duderino: it's laughably bad/campy on par with Charlie's Angels or 60's Batman, lulz. Or heck, someone like Carmela Soprano get auto Emmy's for same ol' same ol' every year.

re: cup size. eh, granted it doesn't get more shallow and cruel than in the circle(s) I hang out these days.... but I come here to take respite from that, so honestly whatever happened to variety being the spice of life, or whatever that American idiom says? Sometimes you're in a mood for a Kate Upton or a (young) Angelina. Other times, a potty-mouthed, sporty, hyper-sexual, ms. black and white morality Deb Morgan presents another kind of challenge altogether, especially with my childhood background in athletics I know plenty girls like that. I am all about challenge, the morer the betterer, as it were. So sue me, haha

but since you mention it, in the Dexter books, Deborrah actually is supposed to be more conventionally pretty and voluptuous - think Jessica Simpson or Katherine Heigl. but here's the thing: Julliard-trained Carpenter apparently blew the producers away in early auditions, so they cast against type.

and what do you get? An empowering, fun female character the likes which hasn't quite been seen before. Again, I am thankfully not a Miami type a person, no offense TRD, and my familiarity with the show is mostly derived from watching all 7 seasons in 4 days and for different reasons (scene break-down, transitions, other technical stuff as is usually the case when I foray into tv, but here I am speaking only as a lay-person about enjoyable fluff)

what's more, while, Dexter is a unique character that carries the water, thematically/philosophically without Deb there is no show, either. Simple as that.

sorry for the typos, at this hour i am literally on the run, will try to check back
Freedom Terrister

Chicago, IL

#71926 Sep 11, 2013
Yumpin Yimminy wrote:
<quoted text>
Breaking bad
Homeland
Longmire
That's how much TV has improved. I'm an addict and up to date on previous seasons, waiting for the new ones. Of course, Braking Bad is going the way of Sopranos. I hope they change their fucked up minds.
To remotely tolerate a series like Dexter you have to have some twisted sense of humour and interest in human nature/psychology. And like either of the 2 central characters on a personal level. Otherwise, it's quite mediocre to be honest in every respect.

Never seen Longmire. Seeing the name of paragon of thespianic brilliance that is Lou Diamond Phillips was enough, lol. I'll defer to your judgement, though.

Damian Lewis has always been a pro, so I am not surprised about Homeland's success. Carrie sounds like an interesting charactyer too bi-polar CIA star, tho Claire Danes can sometimes chew scenery too much for my taste. Either way, aside from being so different from Dexter genre or thematically to begin with? can Homeland sustain the quality for say 9 seasons?'24' and 'lost' couldn't even come close, for instance.

Breaking Bad is a different category too, it's one of the finest series maybe ever. Overseen by wunderkind creator VG from start to finish, which is a privilege not usually afforded in this medium. And even then, Gillian admits that it's running out of steam after 5 seasons. What does that tell you about the principle of sustainability if even BB is subject to it?

I guess whether you can have fun with Dexter depends if you are able to both have your heart strings pulled and laugh at a scene like this

now realize that by that point he had already hilarious failed 2 marriage proposals, and so here all the emotions/sentiment is being faked... imagine Ted Bundy delivering it instead... and realize that Dex entire speech is lifted word for word from a confession of a crazy obsessive female who bludgeoned a man of her dreams to death earlier in the episode.

“Yee vizz”

Central Connecticut

#71927 Sep 11, 2013
Freedom Terrister wrote:
<quoted text>
To remotely tolerate a series like Dexter you have to have some twisted sense of humour and interest in human nature/psychology. And like either of the 2 central characters on a personal level. Otherwise, it's quite mediocre to be honest in every respect.
Never seen Longmire. Seeing the name of paragon of thespianic brilliance that is Lou Diamond Phillips was enough, lol. I'll defer to your judgement, though.
Damian Lewis has always been a pro, so I am not surprised about Homeland's success. Carrie sounds like an interesting charactyer too bi-polar CIA star, tho Claire Danes can sometimes chew scenery too much for my taste. Either way, aside from being so different from Dexter genre or thematically to begin with? can Homeland sustain the quality for say 9 seasons?'24' and 'lost' couldn't even come close, for instance.
Breaking Bad is a different category too, it's one of the finest series maybe ever. Overseen by wunderkind creator VG from start to finish, which is a privilege not usually afforded in this medium. And even then, Gillian admits that it's running out of steam after 5 seasons. What does that tell you about the principle of sustainability if even BB is subject to it?
I guess whether you can have fun with Dexter depends if you are able to both have your heart strings pulled and laugh at a scene like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =3Pv-z_XkdNoXX
now realize that by that point he had already hilarious failed 2 marriage proposals, and so here all the emotions/sentiment is being faked... imagine Ted Bundy delivering it instead... and realize that Dex entire speech is lifted word for word from a confession of a crazy obsessive female who bludgeoned a man of her dreams to death earlier in the episode.
Lewis was great in Band of Brothers. Took me awhile to figure out where I had seen him before. Being out of the loop and all. LOL Longmire's key character is the busiest Australian actor they have. Phillips plays an Indian and his best friend. All these shows are available on Demand and I have marathoned all of them, once I get hooked. For you, I'll take a shot at Dexter. Showtime-Demand is also available. Speaking of which, Canelo-Mayweather. Who ya got?

TRD

“The Real Deal”

Since: Apr 09

Central Florida

#71928 Sep 11, 2013
Freedom Terrister wrote:
<quoted text>
lol, nah you mentioned missing MCH, i was just off-handedly pointing out that not only Deborrah Morgan only got unbelievably screwed over and over by both her older sibling and father -- I'd blown my brains out like 3 times by now.... but that even the actress playing her Jennifer Carpenter had to rise above years of, alternatively, atrociously unimaginative and then ridiculously implausible writing-- and if that weren't not enough, even the Emmy's snubbed her (while perennially nominating her ex-hustand).
Surresli, have you seen a single episode of so called Emmy darlings of yore like aformentioned Cagney and Lacey? Sure technically wasn't even born when it orginally aired, but come on duderino: it's laughably bad/campy on par with Charlie's Angels or 60's Batman, lulz. Or heck, someone like Carmela Soprano get auto Emmy's for same ol' same ol' every year.
re: cup size. eh, granted it doesn't get more shallow and cruel than in the circle(s) I hang out these days.... but I come here to take respite from that, so honestly whatever happened to variety being the spice of life, or whatever that American idiom says? Sometimes you're in a mood for a Kate Upton or a (young) Angelina. Other times, a potty-mouthed, sporty, hyper-sexual, ms. black and white morality Deb Morgan presents another kind of challenge altogether, especially with my childhood background in athletics I know plenty girls like that. I am all about challenge, the morer the betterer, as it were. So sue me, haha
but since you mention it, in the Dexter books, Deborrah actually is supposed to be more conventionally pretty and voluptuous - think Jessica Simpson or Katherine Heigl. but here's the thing: Julliard-trained Carpenter apparently blew the producers away in early auditions, so they cast against type.
and what do you get? An empowering, fun female character the likes which hasn't quite been seen before. Again, I am thankfully not a Miami type a person, no offense TRD, and my familiarity with the show is mostly derived from watching all 7 seasons in 4 days and for different reasons (scene break-down, transitions, other technical stuff as is usually the case when I foray into tv, but here I am speaking only as a lay-person about enjoyable fluff)
what's more, while, Dexter is a unique character that carries the water, thematically/philosophically without Deb there is no show, either. Simple as that.
sorry for the typos, at this hour i am literally on the run, will try to check back
I'm not denying her quality as an actor or the intrinsic nature of her performance in the ensemble...just sayin' she's flat chested. In the beginning of TV that may have been a vague advantage because women wore their collars buttoned up. Now, it's a competition to see who can get more Miley Cyrus the fastest. I know I'm not the shallowest guy out here so lets hope there are more female Emmy judges in the future to lend the breastessesless a hand.
Freedom Terrister

Chicago, IL

#71930 Sep 11, 2013
Yumpin Yimminy wrote:
<quoted text>
Lewis was great in Band of Brothers. Took me awhile to figure out where I had seen him before. Being out of the loop and all. LOL Longmire's key character is the busiest Australian actor they have. Phillips plays an Indian and his best friend. All these shows are available on Demand and I have marathoned all of them, once I get hooked. For you, I'll take a shot at Dexter. Showtime-Demand is also available. Speaking of which, Canelo-Mayweather. Who ya got?
no for really reals, i try not to recommend things like marathoning since the shows were not designed for that. at least when i do it, i do for specific reasons (and as byproduct because of those 4 days, i can pretty much "quote" or act out any scene with any character from the show, switching mid-line, splicing, fusing, etc this is my idea of effin around, don't try this at home kids, lulz).

if you like the type of dark humour not found in glorified museum pieces like, say, Boardwalk Empire or Daunton Abbey.... and you don't expect too much gore (better served to go Hostel or Saw for that)....

you may just enjoy the manipulative "neat lil' monster" like Dexteroo

“Yee vizz”

Central Connecticut

#71933 Sep 11, 2013
Freedom Terrister wrote:
<quoted text>
no for really reals, i try not to recommend things like marathoning since the shows were not designed for that. at least when i do it, i do for specific reasons (and as byproduct because of those 4 days, i can pretty much "quote" or act out any scene with any character from the show, switching mid-line, splicing, fusing, etc this is my idea of effin around, don't try this at home kids, lulz).
if you like the type of dark humour not found in glorified museum pieces like, say, Boardwalk Empire or Daunton Abbey.... and you don't expect too much gore (better served to go Hostel or Saw for that)....
you may just enjoy the manipulative "neat lil' monster" like Dexteroo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =-BWM-2RKRPcXX
Museum piece? I am. Nucky Thompson is the man. I guess I better check Daunton Abbey. I like classics. LOL As far as on demand goes I never would have caught the last two seasons of Homeland, which premiers season 3 at the end of this month. Like, you really care what the shows were designed for. What's Hulu designed for? live viewing? Huh? Huh? The big plus is being able to fast forward by those dreadful commercials. Back it up to catch any missed dialogue or watch a torrid sex scene over and over until you soil your long johns. Ann Coulter misses you and I do, too.

“Yee vizz”

Central Connecticut

#71934 Sep 11, 2013
and don't call me reals. I'm Caucasian. Mayweather vs Canelo. Who ya got?
Uzi

Kfar Saba, Israel

#71936 Sep 11, 2013
Freedom Terrister

Chicago, IL

#71937 Sep 11, 2013
my posts #71929, 31, 32 and 36 to Rinnisons Man aren't showing up, good ol' Topix haha or just this phone? will never know

“Yee vizz”

Central Connecticut

#71940 Sep 11, 2013
Freedom Terrister wrote:
my posts #71929, 31, 32 and 36 to Rinnisons Man aren't showing up, good ol' Topix haha or just this phone? will never know
They don't show up here, either. Has to be the phone. As you can see, Rinnisons Man, is running the show and he would never block you. Did you tick him off? I did. LMFAO. So, who ya got? Mayweather/Alvarez? Or, did your craft slowly remove your knowledge, hence, interest in such things?

“Yee vizz”

Central Connecticut

#71941 Sep 11, 2013
Faith, are you lurking? Were you stoned in Nov 2012 when you posted this? Have you changed your mind? Talk to us, Sweets.

&fe ature=related
FrTr

Chicago, IL

#71942 Sep 11, 2013
Yumpin Yimminy wrote:
<quoted text>
They don't show up here, either. Has to be the phone. As you can see, Rinnisons Man, is running the show and he would never block you. Did you tick him off? I did. LMFAO. So, who ya got? Mayweather/Alvarez? Or, did your craft slowly remove your knowledge, hence, interest in such things?
What about posts 71938-39?

Here's the thing: me and TRD disagree on/argue about almost everything as you can tell, haha....

but I consider him a friend, look up to him since I was 14 years old when this thread started and I was just in the beginning stages of my rebellion against my family/lifestyle and discovering the amazing immensity we call "Life Itself".

So you will never see me insult the guy; I pride myself on being loyal to a fault (maybe it's one of the reason I like and relate to Debra Morgan, ya think? lol)

We don't know each other personally, and that's not necessarily a bad thing in and of itself. There is appropriate time and a place for everything. But if one advice I can give you, Ize, is it's not worth insulting the few good people remaining on the sh!thole that is internet - just because you feel mad, or because it's Wednsday or just for laughs.

I know I've done it too, probably unfairly mocked NaNa and a few others, so I am no better. So try to make peace with Commander, Ize.

Anyway, see apparently I've turned into somewhat of a sentimental p*ssy in my newfound lib-arts environment... and you ask my opinion about boxing?!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Abby 10-31 12 min edogxxx 3
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 15 min fetch almighty 1,129,420
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 15 min STEFANO COLONNA 70,159
Abby 10-30 16 min edogxxx 19
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 22 min grave digger 47,599
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 39 min gimpyolman 50,786
Chicago Ridge man is charged with drug possessi... (Oct '08) 1 hr Ghiberti 6
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr Learn to Read 179,685
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 2 hr edogxxx 98,565

High Wind Warning for Cook County was issued at October 31 at 3:39AM CDT

Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]