Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas declares cease-fire

Israeli troops began withdrawing from the Gaza Strip on Sunday after Hamas declared a cease-fire, setting the stage for intensified international efforts to arrange a durable truce after a 22-day war against ... Full Story

TRD

“The Real Deal”

Since: Apr 09

Central Florida

#66760 Dec 20, 2012
Freedom Terrister wrote:
<quoted text>
TRD,
Lest you get offended and think that I call you "Rinnisons Man" with tongue firmly planted in cheek --- nevermind, pejoratively...
Let me explain. Granted, when I started to post here during Castlead, I probably already had a spark of an inkling, if not iron-clad certitude that my life was gonna go in a DIFFERENT direction than conventional wisdom or wishes of my family would dictate... And, just so we're clear, I certainly DON'T lack for role model(s) in "real" life.
But I would be remiss if I didn't mention the constructive role that you played in my formative years. For one, you are proving F. Scott Fitzgerald wrong --- there is in fact, 2nd act in American Life.
The "Rinnisons Man" part more specifically refers to the fact that seemingly you have your toe dipped into so many different bodies of water... and somehow manage to pull if off rather gracefully without drowing --- at least judging by the anonymity-based impression/composite that's emerged over the years. Correct me if I am wrong.
(Now, of course you could be some psycho, fraud, or whatever, but whatevet, I just don't think so -- and besides, I do NOT want to live in a world where I can't trust peolple or take them for their word.)
Now I've already made one 180-degrees leap of faith, to mix a few metaphors, once -- I mean, who knew that most of my grow-up friends would be Liberals and Libertarians, that Fine/Performance Arts is where the sausage will get made .... but your Rinnisons Man example, among others, has probably eased the transition.
For instance: it works the other way too -- just because I'm in a dynamic "humanities" mode now, does NOT mean that I can't keep up with some of my old "hard-ass" intersts like sports, politics, military affairs. Maybe even business/finance sometime down the line, reallllly down the line, LOL...
I think "Rinnisons Man/Woman" is something that's increasingly rare in modern world, and it's definately something to strive for (if not quite attain -- or, else, "what's Heaven for?" :)
I hope it made sense. Sorry for a poor Englishing.
PS. Now, before you get too full of yourself, Commander...for the record, LWScienceJunkie also taught me some things by example. Heck, look at Ize -- the guy is much smarter and more rounded than he pretends/gives himself credit for. And I hate to admit it, but NaNa has had a positive effect in way I'd rather not share now, too. Credit where due.
So thanks all.
Before it gets lost...you're welcome. And please accept my thanks for all the time you've spent educating and entertaining us. I know you and Ahmad still lead hectic lives while those of us on the back nine are able to do more relaxing. Trust me, you'll have plenty of time for that later (as long as we make it through the Mayan night intact) but there's never enough time for learning.

Aside from some good-natured ribbing where truth temporarily took a back seat, I've tried to walk it like I talk it. If I have ever stretched the truth in fun, I hope I subsequently made it clear that I was joking. You seem to know where you're going and I admire that in a person. I'm sure that wherever you end up you'll excel.

One thing though, liberal should never be confused with libertarian.

Ever.

TRD

“The Real Deal”

Central Florida

#66761 Dec 20, 2012
And for the record: LW is my favorite science teacher.

TRD

“The Real Deal”

Central Florida

#66762 Dec 20, 2012
Ize Lost wrote:
<quoted text>
He is a classy guy, no doubt. But, money will do that to you. My draw is his combat experience and the education required to get there. Other than that, he suks. ;>)
I wub you too <sniff>.
Freedom Terrister

Chicago, IL

#66763 Dec 20, 2012
Freedom Terrister wrote:
<quoted text>
Correction: "If not for IAF taking out 95% of the Fajr-3, FAJR-5 and IIRC even a few Zelzal rockets..."
Fajr-3 is mean, but Fajr-5 and Zelzal that's some bad-ass rocketry -- in the context of a terror group targetting city centers, that is. Then again, I never liked the idea of dismissevely referring to Hezbollah or HAMAS as jihadi gangs; that kind of complacent disregard is what led to 2LW. In fact pound-for-pound they are better armed for urban/guerilla warfare than most regular armies! And unlike other conventional armies, these 'roided-up Islamic DON'T play by the rules, honour, Geneva Conventions or all the other fancy infidel trappings....They've turned the whole "human shield" phenomenon into an art-form -- and far from feeling ashamed of hiding behind their own women & children, they BOAST about it. Sick, sick, sick.
Anywho. Qassams filled with nails, ball-bearings dipped in AIDS patient bodily fluids... is one thing. Few 100's dollars. Some of the extended-range Chinese Grads price can run into the 1,000s -- especially now that Sinai bedouin smugglers are feeling the heat from Obama/Clinton/Morsi guarantees and less tunnels-available for the next few months. And considering that because of Iron Dome, you need a lot of them for barrages; plus building new underground launchers, with fairly expensive timing/targetting equipment.... the whole cost equation is beginning to shift. Compared to the cheap Qassam days, anyway....
Then figure in the billion+ dollar costs of rebuilding Gaza, all kinds of infrastructure, terror or otherwise......and the overall cost per-fire shoots up dramatically.
And then there are the Fajr-3, Fajr-5 and Zelzal. Much harder to replenish, MUCH more expensive when you fihure in the "passage & re-assembly" costs.
Especially now that aformentioned tragic head-on car accident in Sudan that prematurely ended the lives of Factor and Storage Depot....
Oh yeah and then there's the SURVIVABILITY of the rocket crews/launchers.

It used to be that a few of them had to be trained, and it cost much less for equipment itself & the "talent turn-over" was much less. Same rocket commanders could survive literally for years.
Now, Iron Dome not only takes care of the more dangerous trajectory, but its mini-MMR PINPOINTS in real-time the location of the rocket-crew and/or launcher. So not only are PIJ, Hamas, PRC, PFLP and Co are starting to run short on their best people, the job itself is becoming almost a suicide mission!

First of all, despite their fiery rhetoric & posturing, MOST jihadi leaders are in no hurry to be martyred. Fact. Secondly, even the volunteers who actually might be willing to put their life where their mouth is when it comes to blowing up Israelis in, say, a bus or cafe where a jihadi is assured of if not killing then certainly maiming at least 1 Ebbyl Juice or 2 little Ebbyl Juiceling....... But when it comes to firing rockets that prbably won't even get off the ground or will miss target or intercepted, even a suicidally-leaning Islamofascist might start to ask himself inconvenient question "Is it really worth it? Where's the punch-line, boss?!"

IMO, Amud Anan wasn't so much about shutting Hamas up -- you know, even if Hudna was reached with Hamas, Iran will never allow Islamic Jihad or PRC to remain silent for long, nevermind the smaller al-Qaeda affiliates popping up all over Gaza, they don't take orders from anybody.... I am on the side of those who think it was just a glorified exercise or prelude that addressed longer-range rockets & various Iraninan C4I infrastructure... ahead of somrthing else.

<<cont.>>
Freedom Terrister

Chicago, IL

#66764 Dec 20, 2012
TRD wrote:
You've cleary never met some of the Ron Paul "libertarian" poseurs on campuses and hang-outs.

Thanks why I usually put them in quotation marks, so as to distinguish these poseurs from tradition, real Ayn Rand libertarians. For all intents and purposes, they are basically liberal, but much more isolationist when it comes to war & much less honest with themselves.

A cult of L.Ron Paultard's... but no body-therans or Xenu to lighten things up. Ah who am I kidding, I love them all the same, weed-reeking and all :)
Freedom Terrister

Chicago, IL

#66765 Dec 20, 2012
<<cont.>>

In that sense, it was a NICE fake-out by Netanyahu. Even the IDF recruits were actually closer to 30,000 than 70,000, LOL. Hamas realized Bibi was bluffing and that having exhaused most of its target-bank in the first 2-3 days, Bibi was NOT going to go in -- not so close to the elections,way. But it was too late for Hamas by then, Morsi-Hillary-Obama already working hard on cease-fire.

That was a clinic in surgical precision, all-around network-centric UAV coverage... just beautiful. Much like Saddam's "Mother & Jolly Inebriated Uncle With Happy Fingers of All Battles".... the "Gates of Hell" Hamas promised after Ja'abari eliminations, got stuck-closed, apparently. Zero tanks lost by IDF even though they were parked RIGHT THERE for Hamas to shoot with those fancy Kornet, Metis-M, Milan and RPG-29 --- ATGM have a range of, what, 5 miles??? I mean, how hard would it have been for some Hamasnik to hide in an unlit 7th story apartment building, next to those delicious human-shields ---- and then let off a Kornet or 2 in the direction of perfectly stationary Merkava-4 at the border? Easy! But Hamas plain chickened out.

Likwise, zero planes, helicopters or UAV downed despite the usual silly claims & photo-shop fabrications by the AllahAkbar gallery. The best they could do was parade some 5 year old drone and discarded fuel-tank. Lulz! And it wasn't lack of trying or weaponry -- it's common knowledge that Gaza terror-groups had big stocks of Strela and also more advanced Igla-S, that f*cker is deadly. And yet, no cigar!

Spike-NLOS taking out 4 Islamic Jihad hiding in an international media in violation of all laws of combat, by the way... WITHOUT harming a single civilian, was money. Ooomph. Practically no casualties on Israeli side (save for that foolish Kyrian Malachi gawkers, of course). The country continued to function more or less. Message was sent to all relevant, uh, parties.

np: http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/...
Freedom Terrister

Chicago, IL

#66766 Dec 20, 2012
TRD wrote:
<quoted text>Before it gets lost...you're welcome. And please accept my thanks for all the time you've spent educating and entertaining us. I know you and Ahmad still lead hectic lives while those of us on the back nine are able to do more relaxing. Trust me, you'll have plenty of time for that later (as long as we make it through the Mayan night intact) but there's never enough time for learning.
Aside from some good-natured ribbing where truth temporarily took a back seat, I've tried to walk it like I talk it. If I have ever stretched the truth in fun, I hope I subsequently made it clear that I was joking. You seem to know where you're going and I admire that in a person. I'm sure that wherever you end up you'll excel.
Ever.
Specifically, I just wanted to make sure there is no hard-feelings vis-a-vis "Rinnisons Man" title. It's meant as a COMPLIMENT fo reasons stated in previous post.

As for knowing where I am going, not so fast, that can change in a hurry, too; I hope not but in life, you never know. 5 years ago, I would have laughted you out of the gym or any other room -- if you'd told me the fagggy stuff I'd be doing now. But I do confess to loving it so, lawday!

In fact, I've learned to not just accept, but RELISH the fundamental UNPREDICTABILITY of life/God/nature. And in my area of study, it can get a little bit like Alzheimer's --- "everyday you go different places & meet new people"....LOL!

And playa, don't think I have entirely forgotten how to multi-task and WASTE time on Topix, either. No biggie, you've got a few more days to put up with my sh!t. You sure you are up to it, Commander?

TRD

“The Real Deal”

Central Florida

#66767 Dec 20, 2012
Freedom Terrister wrote:
<quoted text>
Specifically, I just wanted to make sure there is no hard-feelings vis-a-vis "Rinnisons Man" title. It's meant as a COMPLIMENT fo reasons stated in previous post.
As for knowing where I am going, not so fast, that can change in a hurry, too; I hope not but in life, you never know. 5 years ago, I would have laughted you out of the gym or any other room -- if you'd told me the fagggy stuff I'd be doing now. But I do confess to loving it so, lawday!
In fact, I've learned to not just accept, but RELISH the fundamental UNPREDICTABILITY of life/God/nature. And in my area of study, it can get a little bit like Alzheimer's --- "everyday you go different places & meet new people"....LOL!
And playa, don't think I have entirely forgotten how to multi-task and WASTE time on Topix, either. No biggie, you've got a few more days to put up with my sh!t. You sure you are up to it, Commander?
I bet you can't believe how much I've learned in four short years.

Compliment accepted, thanks.

Bring it on;>)
Freedom Terrister

Chicago, IL

#66768 Dec 20, 2012
TRD wrote:
<quoted text>I bet you can't believe how much I've learned in four short years.
Compliment accepted, thanks.
Bring it on;>)
Wouldn't surprise me. They say 60 is the new 40.

That's why this silly little thread survives. Not even with regulars missing for months-to-years at a time... it does provide the CONTEXT & CONTUNITY. Played out against THE most volatile, dangerous and thus EXCITING region of the world, the Holy Land, no less!

(Incientally, Facebook can never replace the "old-school" internet, while there is a downside to the whole "anonymity" thing.... on the other hand, because people are too self-conscious and self-censoring on FB (not to mention, self-obsessed!). It's just not the same.

Look at this thread. Its TOPICALITY & urgency hasn't decreased one-iota; if anything the tension, drama & stakes have GONE UP dramatically since 2009!

Proof in the pudding: we all changed here: some more than others; but also all stayed the same in several meaninful ways.

If you're gonna waste some guilty-pleasure time, this thread is as good a place as any.

And really, I don't get all the whiners about "why can't this thread die already!". What purpose does a statement like that make? Or is it just to get attention? If people don't like it, they can leave for a year+ like myself, or permanently like Gray's sanity.

Afterall, here in Jewmerica, it's all about freedom, baby!

TRD

“The Real Deal”

Central Florida

#66769 Dec 20, 2012
Freedom Terrister wrote:
<quoted text>
Wouldn't surprise me. They say 60 is the new 40.
That's why this silly little thread survives. Not even with regulars missing for months-to-years at a time... it does provide the CONTEXT & CONTUNITY. Played out against THE most volatile, dangerous and thus EXCITING region of the world, the Holy Land, no less!
(Incientally, Facebook can never replace the "old-school" internet, while there is a downside to the whole "anonymity" thing.... on the other hand, because people are too self-conscious and self-censoring on FB (not to mention, self-obsessed!). It's just not the same.
Look at this thread. Its TOPICALITY & urgency hasn't decreased one-iota; if anything the tension, drama & stakes have GONE UP dramatically since 2009!
Proof in the pudding: we all changed here: some more than others; but also all stayed the same in several meaninful ways.
If you're gonna waste some guilty-pleasure time, this thread is as good a place as any.
And really, I don't get all the whiners about "why can't this thread die already!". What purpose does a statement like that make? Or is it just to get attention? If people don't like it, they can leave for a year+ like myself, or permanently like Gray's sanity.
Afterall, here in Jewmerica, it's all about freedom, baby!
It has turned out to be an exquisite waste of time. In the beginning there was a sense, if not a promise of hope that when the sides sit down they will be able to hammer out a lasting peace built on mutual respect.

Boy was I wrong about that one. No matter how much we change, THAT seems to remain the same. I'm ready to say that my idea of settling the Arab-Israeli conflict via the internet and Call of Duty has as much if not more merit than Oslo. No real estate changes hands but all the violent tension is released and at the end of a day of warfare my way, everyone goes home for a meal, some rest, and are off to school or work in the morning. Israeli kids get to grow up to be doctors and lawyers and Arab kids get to grow up to be matzoh.

I think he wishes this thread would die because he hates that we have become friends.
Freedom Terrister

Chicago, IL

#66771 Dec 20, 2012
TRD wrote:
I think he wishes this thread would die because he hates that we have become friends.
Who are talking about?

My comment was about generic whiner. There are many of them over the years.

TRD

“The Real Deal”

Central Florida

#66772 Dec 20, 2012
Freedom Terrister wrote:
<quoted text>
Who are talking about?
My comment was about generic whiner. There are many of them over the years.
My bad, I thought you were referring to this specifically...
Soy de Palestina wrote:
<quoted text> Why am I still here? F*CK! I wish this thread would f*cking die already.
To answer your question...
(edited)
Freedom Terrister

Chicago, IL

#66773 Dec 20, 2012
TRD wrote:
<quoted text>It has turned out to be an exquisite waste of time. In the beginning there was a sense, if not a promise of hope that when the sides sit down they will be able to hammer out a lasting peace built on mutual respect.
Boy was I wrong about that one. No matter how much we change, THAT seems to remain the same. I'm ready to say that my idea of settling the Arab-Israeli conflict via the internet and Call of Duty has as much if not more merit than Oslo. No real estate changes hands but all the violent tension is released and at the end of a day of warfare my way, everyone goes home for a meal, some rest, and are off to school or work in the morning. Israeli kids get to grow up to be doctors and lawyers and Arab kids get to grow up to be matzoh.
No, wait... what?

That's exactly OPPOSITE of what I mean by "context & continuity" --- or at very least, NEUTRAL or seperate issue from it.

This threads charts our lives albeit mostly in barely perceptible ways/benchmarks. Especially once one has been missing for a year or 2. Mind you, I haven't even read back a single post, but the VIBE, the memories, the spirit of the Faulknerian past-that-isn't-really-past, is inescapable. YMMV.

And then there is the Conflict itself, which the subject-matter of this thhread. And even there, this thread has chroniced some pretty crazy/exciting times and trends. Amud Anan was but the latest. Illuminating some things, and yet throwing other seemingly familiar things back into total darkness.

Foresight is the name of the game. Remmeber my "33 No's"? Now that Abbas has effectively tore up Oslo -- in the process not just embarassing destroying whatever little credibility Palestinians had, but also EMBARASSING the Quartet, including US/EU who acted as OFFICIAL GUARANTORS of Oslo as well as the UNSC Res 242 upon which the Oslo framework was based..... Unfortunately I was right about Abbas when you, Eran, NaNa and just about everybody else tried to "give peace a chance". I really, really wanted to be wrong on this one, trust me.

And know what? That's ok. Israel gave it a shot, even froze "settlements" -- even though Jews have all the LEGAL and moral authority to build in Area C -- again, as per Oslo, not to mention this little thing called Artcile 80 of the UN Founding Charter as it pertains to the relevant San Remo provisions formally adopted by its parent org. League of Nations.....But I digress somewhat.

Live and learn. Jews gave peace (yet another) chance. The one that, ironically enough, brought them nothing but shootings, stabbings, stonings and of course exploding buses, malls, cafes, discos, synagogues, dolphinarium... as a kind of "thanks, Palestinian-style".

So let's move on. No more land for peace. Only peace for peace. If Israelis are truly super-smart, creative, imaginative, inspired, resilient ---> they'll adapt and move forward with even more success.

As mentioned in the "Sparta" post, Israel has been such a small MIRACLE every minute of its existence, everything going forward is pure gravy. You haven't seen anything yet!

(Muslim oil won't keep them afloat to rule the agenda forever, you know. They are already starting to desintergrate and teeter on chaos even with 100's of billions in easy, free "black gold" revenue that the Free West kindly provided for them -- by, you know, the whole "explore-exctract-refine- transport-insure-provide huge consumer market" thingie...)

Am Yisroel Chai, playa!
Freedom Terrister

Chicago, IL

#66774 Dec 20, 2012
TRD wrote:
<quoted text>My bad, I thought you were referring to this specifically...
<quoted text>
What/who are you talkin about?

I don't see anything/anyone on the screen.

Weird.

TRD

“The Real Deal”

Central Florida

#66775 Dec 20, 2012
Freedom Terrister wrote:
<quoted text>
What/who are you talkin about?
I don't see anything/anyone on the screen.
Weird.
Uh huh...exactly.

Mr. Ize was on to something this afternoon. The first step towards your new life is a step away from your old one. How about attempting to show the respect you'd like to receive? That's a promise I made to Ahmad in the beginning that I've tried to keep. There have certainly been lapses but for the most part we're able to begin and end a conversation without conflict.
Freedom Terrister

Chicago, IL

#66776 Dec 20, 2012
TRD wrote:
<quoted text>It has turned out to be an exquisite waste of time. In the beginning there was a sense, if not a promise of hope that when the sides sit down they will be able to hammer out a lasting peace built on mutual respect.

Hope. I am all about Hope. And peace. Would love it!

But here's the central message I've tried to get across here, even before I could even speak English well enough to articulate it somewhat coherently: PEACE/HOPE CANNOT BE BASED ON LIES, HATRED, SERIAL FALSIFICATION, INTRANSIGENCE & TERROR.

"Men" like Arafat, Abbas -- nevermind Sheik Yassins of this world -- are NOT peace-makers. I doubt they are even human.

If there was some hope for true, real PEACE 20 years ago -- what with PLO's creator/patron Soviet Union collapsing and American/Israeli/Western/Free Way of Life seemingly prevailing forever..... well, after the new generation of Pali-kids has been raised on the most vile, genocidal propaganda that essentially considers Jews to be prophet-killing cockroach-vampires who cause all worldly ills & wars, and who therefore must be exterminated -- or at the very least thown into the sea!

Hell, even the Sinai bedouin, who just 10-15 years ago, which is extremely short period of time, historically speaking... whereas those bedouin were pretty moderate if not secular/friendly ----> have now become raging al-Qaeda allies!

Where the heck are you gonna get Martin Luther King or Nelson Mandela now? And I tell you, even Ghandi would throw up his hand if he had to deal with (radical) Islam leaders. I get a huge LOL'erskate when I hear Irish confounded by lack of progress is peace process in M.E.... Hamas/Sunni Islam to IRA/Catholicism is what lightening is to lightening bug (as a certain American writer would put it) They just have NO idea who they're dealing with here, LOL!

As the Great Ize of Conneticut might have said "Before you can lead the life you want, you must first LEAVE the life that you DON'T want".

Before you can have TRUE peace, justice, freedom... you at least MUST reject the (massive oil-funded) Muslim-Marxist Matrix, its unbelievable lies, arrogance and all-encompassing hatred & envy!

Start with telling the truth about "Palestine", IRD. And go from there. There is NO alternative.
Freedom Terrister

Chicago, IL

#66777 Dec 20, 2012
TRD wrote:
<quoted text>Uh huh...exactly.
Mr. Ize was on to something this afternoon. The first step towards your new life is a step away from your old one. How about attempting to show the respect you'd like to receive? That's a promise I made to Ahmad in the beginning that I've tried to keep. There have certainly been lapses but for the most part we're able to begin and end a conversation without conflict.
Are you sure the moniker/entity to which you're referring...exists?

Maybe that's why it doesn't show up on my screen.

My bad, T
Uzi

Kfar Saba, Israel

#66779 Dec 20, 2012
http://news.yahoo.com/army-seeks-death-penalt...

I wonder if they'll seek the same for the Ft. Hood bastard called Major Nidal Malik Hasan?

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#66780 Dec 21, 2012
TRD wrote:
<quoted text>Uh huh...exactly.
Aww damn. I'm being ignored by veeks. My life isn't worth living anymore. What a waste of two years of math and physics. Now I wish I had majored in psychology instead of engineering, so I could talk myself out of ending my miserable life.
Oh well...

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#66781 Dec 21, 2012
TRD wrote:
<quoted text>Allegedly.
That's a monumental baby Jesus all right. Please forgive my snickering at the double irony of:
A. A giant baby.
B. A bunch of Christians and Muslims fixating on a Jew.
And the bonus irony of Arabs believing that Guinness records will somehow legitimize a state. For example "...Look honey, there's the National Kanafeh of Palestine! Those Palestinians sure know their desserts!". What's next, World's largest Hummus bowl?
Hummus is just mashed chickpeas with lemon and olive oil. We should do one of the "special" meals, like Maftoul, Maqlouba, Moloukhia, Mjadara, Msakhan or Mansaf. Or any other good dish that starts with the letter M.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min Realtime 1,154,203
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 9 min mdbuilder 49,233
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 29 min jacques Ottawau 181,856
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr Jonah1 51,258
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 1 hr Hatti_Hollerand 4,919
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 1 hr Hatti_Hollerand 720
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 2 hr Rick Moss 71,088
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 2:08 pm PST

Yahoo! Sports 2:08PM