“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#1 Jul 7, 2014
DEAR ABBY: I am an ophthalmologist, and all too often I see patients who have already lost some of their vision because they waited too long to schedule an appointment for an eye exam. Many times the reason was limited insurance or they couldn't afford the co-pay.

After helping nearly 1.8 million people, EyeCare America, a public service program of the Foundation of the American Academy of Ophthalmology, continues to match eligible seniors in need with volunteer ophthalmologists who provide a medical eye exam -- and up to one year of care -- at no out-of-pocket cost to the patient.

This July, as we celebrate our country's independence, invite your readers to also celebrate their personal independence by getting regular eye exams, especially as they age. Many eye diseases develop later in life. In fact, one in six people age 65 and older has a vision impairment that cannot be corrected with glasses or contact lenses.

Please help to save your readers from the falls, injuries, depression and social isolation that are associated with vision loss and join me in spreading the word about EyeCare America. Thank you for your help.-- CHARLES P. WILKINSON, M.D., CHAIR, EYECARE AMERICA

DEAR DR. WILKINSON: You're welcome. But I am the one who should thank you and the other members of the American Academy of Ophthalmology for their generosity in offering this program to seniors nationwide.

Readers, this is important and I know the need is great. To find out if you or your loved ones qualify for this program, visit eyecareamericadotorg.(The online application does not request financial information.)

DEAR ABBY: My in-laws are pressuring me to let them take our small children for overnights and trips around the city. I'm extremely uncomfortable about it because I don't trust their supervision. They obviously love the kids, and I'm happy they're in our children's lives -- as long as they come to our house to visit.

There have been several instances in which they made some questionable decisions with respect to supervising my little ones in public. I have so far successfully dodged their requests, but it will be impossible to do it forever. If I tell them how I -- and their son -- feel, they will be hurt, especially because my parents routinely watch the kids outside our home.

What's the best way to handle this with the least hurt feelings?-- ST. LOUIS MOMMY

DEAR MOMMY: This is something you and your husband will have to discuss with his parents together. If you do it alone, you will forever be blamed for "favoring" your family over his. When the discussion happens, you should cite your reasons for feeling the way you do. I can't promise there won't be hurt feelings, because there probably already are, but your children's safety must come first.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#2 Jul 7, 2014
1 Great! A PSA for people too blind to read it! Next time try the radio you dummy.

2 Dear Mommy, Quit being a helicopter mother. They raised your husband didn't they? He still has all his appendages and eyeballs right?

I dont think your husband agrees with you at all, He's just too cockholded to disagree with you. Your kid is not going to break, fall out a window, run into traffic or be left on a bus. Just relax.

Since: Oct 09

Spearfish, SD

#3 Jul 7, 2014
That's a very nice program and all, but why is it only for seniors? There are plenty of non-seniors who really need this service, also. Or are seniors the only ones who seem to count in this society anymore (which is how it seems to me, frankly).

Since: Oct 09

Spearfish, SD

#4 Jul 7, 2014
RACE wrote:
2 Dear Mommy, Quit being a helicopter mother. They raised your husband didn't they? He still has all his appendages and eyeballs right?
I dont think your husband agrees with you at all, He's just too cockholded to disagree with you. Your kid is not going to break, fall out a window, run into traffic or be left on a bus. Just relax.
I love ya, Race (and I always love reading your responses), but I gotta disagree on this one. Yes, they raised her husband but that was years ago, when they were a lot younger. They may have physical or mental or judgment issues now that could be causing her concern.

Or maybe not, who knows, maybe she really is favoring her own parents. I guess this is yet another letter where we have to trot out the old "we need more information" canard.

Neda, stay with me!

#5 Jul 7, 2014
While I don't discount that the have BOTH developed bats in their belfry....From the letter....
... I'm extremely uncomfortable about it because I don't trust their supervision....

Not trusting their supervision is alot different that thinking they are incapable of parenting (like the letter where the kids diapers where not changed and dirty clothes)
It could be that their house is not childproofed to her liking, or they dont turn the pot handles inward over the stove. Yes, an example would be nice, but I think the absence of an example is more a reflection of her bias than their actual stupidity.
Judge Janie wrote:
<quoted text>
I love ya, Race (and I always love reading your responses), but I gotta disagree on this one. Yes, they raised her husband but that was years ago, when they were a lot younger. They may have physical or mental or judgment issues now that could be causing her concern.
Or maybe not, who knows, maybe she really is favoring her own parents. I guess this is yet another letter where we have to trot out the old "we need more information" canard.
cunning linguist

Bangkok, Thailand

#6 Jul 7, 2014
Judge Janie wrote:
<quoted text>
Unless he's referring to hanging with his best friends and getting a hold on their best friends, he sure doesn't know what "cuckold" means or how to spell it.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#7 Jul 7, 2014
RACE wrote:
1 Great! A PSA for people too blind to read it! Next time try the radio you dummy.
1. I have always had medical insurance and both money and the know;edge to go to a doctor. I thought I was getting a cataract because of blurry vision. I am old enough where that is a common part of aging.

When I saw the eye doctor I found out that it is glaucoma and I have lost much of the vision in one eye. I have worn glasses for years and my pressure numbers were always good, I thought. But that was from an optometrist and not an ophthalmologist.

They can save the rest and I function okay but that is due in large part to very active medical intervention when caught.

So, smart ass, its not always as simple as you make out.

2. A lot depends on exactly what the scary behavior is.

A night of two of second hand smoke won't kill a kid... unless he already has asthma and grandma won't take the cigarettes outside.

Do they think car seats are unnecessary and let the kid stand on teh back seat and hang onto the headrest? Nope

Does grandma like her vodka and fall asleep in the recliner before grandpa gets home? Nope

Do they feed the kid junk food and sugar and let him stay up til midnight? Well, maybe, it won't kill the kid. Giving a 3 year "just a taste" of beer? Nope.

Whatever, it absolutely has to be the son who elks to his parents and he has to be totally on board about the bad behavior or else they will blame LW and label their son pussy whipped or worse.

Neda, stay with me!

#8 Jul 7, 2014
Who peed in your cheerio's?

I was simply pointing out the silliness of printing a PSA about help for blind folk, but you take it whatever evil way you want.

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
1. I have always had medical insurance and both money and the know;edge to go to a doctor. I thought I was getting a cataract because of blurry vision. I am old enough where that is a common part of aging.
When I saw the eye doctor I found out that it is glaucoma and I have lost much of the vision in one eye. I have worn glasses for years and my pressure numbers were always good, I thought. But that was from an optometrist and not an ophthalmologist.
They can save the rest and I function okay but that is due in large part to very active medical intervention when caught.
So, smart ass, its not always as simple as you make out.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#9 Jul 7, 2014
RACE wrote:
I was simply pointing out the silliness of printing a PSA about help for blind folk, but you take it whatever evil way you want.
<quoted text>
Someone with a bad aim

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#10 Jul 7, 2014
RACE wrote:
<quoted text>
Nowhere did this PSA address the blind...this was about vision impaired people, which means that they can still read some or that someome can pass along the info. Vision problems are not the same as blind. Therefore your reading comprehension was a fail. Perhaps you need the eye exam.

Neda, stay with me!

#11 Jul 7, 2014
Not as much as you need a lobotomy.

If you cant read satire when you see it, then you are the one with reading comprehension fail.

But thanks for pointing out your hypocrisy about calling my jabs mean and your jabs funny.
Glass houses and all that.
greenwichvillage wrote:
<quoted text>
Nowhere did this PSA address the blind...this was about vision impaired people, which means that they can still read some or that someome can pass along the info. Vision problems are not the same as blind. Therefore your reading comprehension was a fail. Perhaps you need the eye exam.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#12 Jul 7, 2014
RACE wrote:
If you cant read satire when you see it, then you are the one with reading comprehension fail.
But thanks for pointing out your hypocrisy about calling my jabs mean and your jabs funny.
<quoted text>
Your task, should you choose to accept it, is to devise a sarcasm emoticon/icon which can be created using the punctuation marks allowed by Topix. Otherwise something is going to self destruct.

Location hidden

#13 Jul 7, 2014
RACE wrote:
<quoted text>
Your posts don't usually have a tone of sarcasm. Others do use symbols to indicate that. So because others don't have esp you do an edog cause you were called out on a post that was taken literally. I wasn't the only one.
My sarcasm trumps yours (sarcasm, in case you miss it)

Location hidden

#14 Jul 7, 2014
RACE wrote:
<quoted text>
Sarcasm? Really? That's all for now. Time for the shock treatment.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#15 Jul 7, 2014
RACE wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey,*I* thought it was funny. that's all that matters.

Neda, stay with me!

#17 Jul 7, 2014
Your now one of themmmm.
tread lightly, You have crossed to the other side.....
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Hey,*I* thought it was funny. that's all that matters.
Pippa

Hancock, NY

#18 Jul 8, 2014
Judge Janie wrote:
<quoted text>
Absolutely. I'd like to hear about actual examples of their poor judgement. At this point, she may be making mountains out of molehills or she may be spot on. No way of telling from her letter.
Pippa

Hancock, NY

#19 Jul 8, 2014
RACE wrote:
Your now one of themmmm.
tread lightly, You have crossed to the other side.....
<quoted text>
Is this you being facetious? I really wish we could come up with some punctuation marks of some kind that would immediately show whether we're being serious, facetious, sarcastic.... I'm not good at that stuff. But in the interest of peace, it would be nice. edog routinely makes remarks that if taken seriously can be taken as mean or clueless. I prefer to think of some of them at least as being of a different tone and therefore a somewhat (or more) different meaning. I guess it can be fun to play devil's advocate sometimes just to see where things lead.
boundary painter

San Antonio, TX

#20 Jul 8, 2014
Pippa wrote:
<quoted text>
Absolutely. I'd like to hear about actual examples of their poor judgement. At this point, she may be making mountains out of molehills or she may be spot on. No way of telling from her letter.

She was probably just being respectful of her husband's parents--whose ideas don't match the qualifications she has for those who watch her children. St Louis lady seems pretty reasonable.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Frank 1,142,140
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 6 min loose cannon 180,684
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 53 min mdbuilder 48,456
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 hr TRD 68,770
nazi fascist star folks knashing their teeth 2 hr MomFascistsHere 10
Barry knew Goober before he did'nt know Goober 2 hr Rowdy Yates 5
Rattlesnake Logic 2 hr Forever Yours 34
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]