Newspaper: Ill. ranks near bottom in screening problem teachers

Illinois ranks near the bottom in the nation when it comes to checking teacher backgrounds and yanking the credentials of problem educators, a newspaper analysis shows. Full Story
Steve

Chicago, IL

#1 Dec 2, 2007
Maybe this is because the teachers union has too much power?!

If the police and firemean cannot strike, they certainly should not be allowed to.

I am sick of paying taxes, just to have to pay private school tuition, because the schools and teachers are pathetic in Chicago.

“Tah Dah!”

Since: Nov 07

Chicago

#2 Dec 2, 2007
what a joke
JimmyO

Plainfield, IL

#3 Dec 2, 2007
Good to know we allow convicts to teach on the taxpayer's dime.
Phenon

United States

#4 Dec 2, 2007
Why is it so important to create a teacher shortage in light of NCLB. What is happening as far as background checks reminds me of the witch hunts in salem village. How can this country talk about freeing someone else when they hold their own hostage? Wake up butthole.
what now

Addison, IL

#5 Dec 2, 2007
This whole article is ridiculous. You would get the impression from reading it that Illinois apparently Naperville in particular) is rampant with sex offenders and other malfeasants.

All new teachers, or teachers changing into new IL school districts, MUST be fingerprinted and have a background check. It is true that teachers who have taught in the same district for more than 15 years or so may have "grandfathered" in.

This article has been poorly researched. To even be granted a teaching certificate requires a thorough evaluation by both the college the teacher gets his/her B.Ed degree from AND from the state issuing the license.

In addtion -- disciplinary actions (when necessary) are not addressed by unions. They are the responsibility of the individual District's School Board.

But do you pick up your newspaper every morning and read where yet another Naperville teacher has done some horrible thing to a child? No.
This is just something irrevelant to get emotions all stirred up for no reason at all.
Jon C

Dekalb, IL

#6 Dec 2, 2007
There is no reason to have schools be funded by taxes and operated by the government any longer.

It is time to PRIVATIZE ALL SCHOOLS. Repeal all property taxes. Make all schools private tuition. Leave it up to the free market. Parents who care will send their children to the best school available. In a short period of time, schools will improve because they will be competing for the tuition dollar.

It will also have the benefit of people who have the most children will pay the most, while people who only have one or two will pay the least. That makes good sense.
s hawking

Mount Prospect, IL

#7 Dec 2, 2007
what now wrote:
This whole article is ridiculous. You would get the impression from reading it that Illinois apparently Naperville in particular) is rampant with sex offenders and other malfeasants.
All new teachers, or teachers changing into new IL school districts, MUST be fingerprinted and have a background check. It is true that teachers who have taught in the same district for more than 15 years or so may have "grandfathered" in.
This article has been poorly researched. To even be granted a teaching certificate requires a thorough evaluation by both the college the teacher gets his/her B.Ed degree from AND from the state issuing the license.
In addtion -- disciplinary actions (when necessary) are not addressed by unions. They are the responsibility of the individual District's School Board.
But do you pick up your newspaper every morning and read where yet another Naperville teacher has done some horrible thing to a child? No.
This is just something irrevelant to get emotions all stirred up for no reason at all.
That's right What. The story as written is full of holes.

It suggests we've got a band of shadowy predators on our hands who are going thru all it takes to be in, and remain in, the educational system - just so they can be near kids to plan their dirty deeds. It's dumb on its face.
Jon C

Dekalb, IL

#8 Dec 2, 2007
Tell me, which union paid you off? Or do you work for Barrack Osama?(I spelled it that way on purpose)

“Tah Dah!”

Since: Nov 07

Chicago

#9 Dec 2, 2007
Jon C wrote:
There is no reason to have schools be funded by taxes and operated by the government any longer.
It is time to PRIVATIZE ALL SCHOOLS. Repeal all property taxes. Make all schools private tuition. Leave it up to the free market. Parents who care will send their children to the best school available. In a short period of time, schools will improve because they will be competing for the tuition dollar.
It will also have the benefit of people who have the most children will pay the most, while people who only have one or two will pay the least. That makes good sense.
That would make sense, no way it will happen.

In the world of capitalism, if something fails, it fails and something better comes and takes it's place.

The teachers unions would fight it to the nail, it would be too politically risky for any politician to touch it.

It would be the best thing, however. Chicago public schools could not be any worse.
hurston

Elmhurst, IL

#10 Dec 2, 2007
Jon C wrote:
Tell me, which union paid you off? Or do you work for Barrack Osama?(I spelled it that way on purpose)
And then you point out that the spelling was no mistake! Awesome.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 12 min Mister J 1,115,888
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 16 min rauner steals 4,061
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 36 min Grau 68,569
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 52 min Earthling-1 47,083
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr Jonah1 50,078
Rauner, Quinn clash on Obamacare expansion ahea... 1 hr Le Jimbo 6
Amy 10-2 1 hr he who knows 8
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr loose cannon 178,625
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 5 hr PEllen 98,375
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]