Comments
181 - 200 of 217 Comments Last updated Jan 25, 2013
pde

Homer Glen, IL

#183 Jan 24, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow.
AS I read that book, I thought, "you're using that adjective yet again?"
Well, remember, both lexile and gle scoring are about analyzing the vocabulary used and the structure of sentence/paragraph formation. Not anything about the subject matter or interest level. So, Da Vinci Code has a gle of 5.2 and a lexile of 850L but an interest level of grades 9-12 ( http://www.scholastic.com/teachers/book/da-vi... ). An on-level 5th grader should be able to understand the book, but that doesn't mean they'd want to.

To compare, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone has a gle of 5.5 and a lexile of 880L ( http://www.scholastic.com/teachers/book/harry... ) but an interest level of 4-8. So, simply comparing reading levels, the first Harry Potter is a slightly more complex book than the Da Vinci Code ;)

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#184 Jan 24, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Just curious, how does one determine what level they are writing at? What would you do differnetly to consider it 4th grade vs 6th grade?
I would think the bulk of it would be the difficulty level of the vocabulary words, and then the simplicity/difficulty of sentence structure, and how abstract ideas and theories are presented.

But pde seems to know quite a bit about this, so I am looking forward to her response!

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

United States

#185 Jan 24, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>It has been pointed out to you that the time frame that this arangement has been in place was for the past 18 years. From age 12 to age 30. Just because he is listing some more adult level books does not mean she read them when she was 12.
And once again, what WAS she reading at twelve, and if was the Nancy Drew series, was he reading them also?
Sam I Am

Chicago, IL

#186 Jan 24, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
See you still have nothing of any substance to add to the discussion besides unprovoked insults.
Why hello, Pot, I'm Kettle. Glad to meet you!

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#187 Jan 24, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
And once again, what WAS she reading at twelve, and if was the Nancy Drew series, was he reading them also?
And if he was? What's your point? He's gay if he bonds with his daghter by reading Nancy Drew? What if he sat at a little child's table in her room when she was 5 and played with Barbie dolls and had a tea party? Gay?
pde

Homer Glen, IL

#188 Jan 24, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Just curious, how does one determine what level they are writing at? What would you do differnetly to consider it 4th grade vs 6th grade?
You limit your vocabulary usage (always try to find the simplest synonym), and simplify your sentence structure.

For a 4th grade level, your sentences should be 7-10 words long max; for a 6th grade level, 10-15 words max.

For a 4th grade level, your paragraphs should be in the format of topic sentence followed by supporting sentences, and keep them to 5 or fewer sentences.

For a 6th grade level, you can mix up the paragraph structure a bit more.

And if you really need to write to a particular level, your editor probably has access to some software to do the analysis ;)

It does become instinctual after a while if you're doing it often enough. Read the newspaper and there's a particular tone and style across all articles, which is influenced by the way journalists are trained to write and the level they are trained to write to.(I didn't take any journalism classes, btw.)

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

United States

#189 Jan 24, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>And if he was? What's your point? He's gay if he bonds with his daghter by reading Nancy Drew?
A grown man reading Nancy Drew is gay no matter the purpose. Not quite sure why he has to read Nancy Drew to bond with his daughter anyway, but comparison fail on the barby doll aspect. There is a world of difference between playing "with" your child and reading a teen romance novel on your own accord.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

United States

#190 Jan 24, 2013
Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
Why hello, Pot, I'm Kettle. Glad to meet you!
Why do you insist on blabbing away when you have nothing intelligible to say?

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#191 Jan 24, 2013
Thats because you are not a dad to a little girl.
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
. Not quite sure why he has to read Nancy Drew to bond with his daughter anyway,

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#192 Jan 24, 2013
RACE wrote:
Thats because you are not a dad to a little girl.
<quoted text>
This I agree with. Most dad's would do anything (within reason) for their little girls.
pde

Homer Glen, IL

#193 Jan 24, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
A grown man reading Nancy Drew is gay no matter the purpose. Not quite sure why he has to read Nancy Drew to bond with his daughter anyway, but comparison fail on the barby doll aspect. There is a world of difference between playing "with" your child and reading a teen romance novel on your own accord.
You do know that the original Nancy Drew novels and the original Hardy Boy novels were written by the set of Stratemeyer Syndicate ghostwriters to a pretty strictly defined template? Many of the stories in the two series are rather similar ... mainly differing in whether the one investigating was Nancy Drew or the Hardy brothers.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#194 Jan 24, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>And if he was? What's your point? He's gay if he bonds with his daghter by reading Nancy Drew? What if he sat at a little child's table in her room when she was 5 and played with Barbie dolls and had a tea party? Gay?
My dad was a man's man. And he let me paint his toenails (no one would see, men did not wear sandals in our family!) and put pincurls in his hair and draw on his back with magic markers (kept us occupied while he napped (yes he slept through it) and mom did her own thing for a bit).

Parenthood changes you like nothing else does... but I firmly believe that nothing changes a man like having a daughter.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#195 Jan 24, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
My dad was a man's man. And he let me paint his toenails (no one would see, men did not wear sandals in our family!) and put pincurls in his hair and draw on his back with magic markers (kept us occupied while he napped (yes he slept through it) and mom did her own thing for a bit).
Parenthood changes you like nothing else does... but I firmly believe that nothing changes a man like having a daughter.
My dad let us *do* his hair. He'd sit on the floor, back to the couch. Baby doll blanket around his neck as the barber's cape, 16 barrettes sticking out everywhere. He also let us walk on his back. I try to get the dogs to do this to me, because it is awesome.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#196 Jan 24, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Did anyone read the YA book "Hatchett"? It's about a boy (about 13) whose parents are divorced and his dad takes him on a small-plane trip to some place like Alaska, and the plane crashes and the only survivor is the kid, and he has his hatchett to help him survive. Nick loved that book, and is trying to get his 11yo to read it.
I *loved* that book. Also, "My Side of the Mountain", also about a kid living on his own in the woods. This was such a fantasy for me around 9-12 years old. I'd have starved or been mauled by a bear within a week...

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#197 Jan 24, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
I *loved* that book. Also, "My Side of the Mountain", also about a kid living on his own in the woods. This was such a fantasy for me around 9-12 years old. I'd have starved or been mauled by a bear within a week...
I saw a reference to the Mountain book elsewhere today.

Hatchett sounded interesting enough that I may read it.

I have an old favorite childhood book but I can't remember the title, and internet searches haven't brought up anything I'm sure is the same book. But without the internet, I'd be screwed. I love being able to buy things that I otherwise wouldn't know existed.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#198 Jan 24, 2013
pde wrote:
<quoted text>
You do know that the original Nancy Drew novels and the original Hardy Boy novels were written by the set of Stratemeyer Syndicate ghostwriters to a pretty strictly defined template?
Who doesn't? What's your point?

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#199 Jan 24, 2013
RACE wrote:
Thats because you are not a dad to a little girl.
<quoted text>
This is the second time you've made this comment and for the second time, it still explains nothing.
pde

Homer Glen, IL

#200 Jan 24, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I have an old favorite childhood book but I can't remember the title, and internet searches haven't brought up anything I'm sure is the same book. But without the internet, I'd be screwed. I love being able to buy things that I otherwise wouldn't know existed.
Describe it ;)

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#201 Jan 24, 2013
Because when you have a kid, you'll do pretty much anything to (1) ease their pain and (2) make them happy, keeping reasonable boundaries in place, of course, but then treating the "no" moments as an opportunity to teach a kid how to deal with disappointment and challenges.

And reading a book because your kid has asked you to -- whether she's 2 and wants you to read Goodnight, Moon again, or she's 14 and wants you to read Harry Potter with her and you don't want to, but you're grateful that your 14yo daughter wants to do something with you, so you do it.

It's universal among loving parents who want to foster a close relationship with their kids.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#202 Jan 24, 2013
Okay, pde:

Kid sort of gets sucked into this "limboland" where you'll find people who went missing, items that you lost or seemed to just disappear from where they belong, etc. Kid makes a friend there (who either has been there for so long, he's no longer the same, or he belongs there?), and they go on a roller coaster ride in an amusement park. "limbo land" has stuck with me.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min Frank 1,101,115
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 25 min Frijoles 69,062
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 31 min Jacques from Ottawa 177,504
Laser Weapon 500mW Green Dazzler 48 min Use this on you 1
Crack and the Social, Moral, and Economic Decay... 48 min THE CRACKHEADS 1
Music Artists A to Z (Feb '14) 1 hr SLY WEST 302
Second man charged in May homicide that left mo... 2 hr reality is a crutch 1
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••