Winter cycling insane and crazy, downright suicidal below 20 degrees!

Posted in the Chicago Forum

Cyclist who knows

Cicero, IL

#1 Nov 13, 2012
It is quite understandable to use bicycles as transportation and recreation. But winter is here, and therefore, cycling season is over! Unless you are deliberately trying to catch hypothermia and/or frostbite. And it appears that I have seen too many psychos out riding bicycles in the dead of winter to let this issue go. Above 50 degrees Fahrenheit is fine for bicycling, but cycling in 40s temperatures is getting into high risk taking with hypothermia. Below 40 degrees, riding a bicycle is downright asking for trouble with hypothermia, cramps, chills, especially in the face and hands. When you sweat, even multiple layers will eventually completely lose all of their warming abilities, and when the sweat comes in contact with the cold air, it begins to literally conduct the cold air to your body, causing lowering of the body temperature and eventual hypothermia.

I have also seen more insane people riding when it is in the single digits outside and such. Bicycling in any temps colder than 20 above zero Fahrenheit is downright suicidal! I repeat, suicidal! At those levels, even a snowsuit will provide very little if any protection, and when that gets wet with your sweat, you are really in deep trouble! At those kinds of temperatures, not only does sweat from your body conduct the cold to your skin, but it also freezes up into ice and can really cause your core temperature to drop like a brick, causing hypothermia so fast your head would spin! Freezing sweat can even drop your core temperature enough to cause pneumonia! And as everyone knows, a low enough body temperature is easily fatal, as is especially severe pneumonia. The wind rushing past you as you ride a bicycle is also extremely capable of causing widespread frostbite on any and all exposed skin; even skin covered by light clothing.
Cyclist Who Knows More

Marion, IL

#2 Jan 21, 2013
You're a misinformed cretin. Please refrain from speaking, lest any further drivel spill forth from that gaping maw of yours.
Avid cyclist

Cicero, IL

#3 Nov 1, 2013
Cyclist Who Knows More wrote:
You're a misinformed cretin. Please refrain from speaking, lest any further drivel spill forth from that gaping maw of yours.
You sound like a genocidal madman! Winter cycling is dangerous and can easily be DEADLY!!! When it is especially low 20s Fahrenheit and colder, riding a bicycle is just as suicidal as jumping off the roof of a high rise building.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min shinningelectr0n 1,216,683
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Guru 186,851
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr OzRitz 52,699
amy april 17 2 hr duke86 2
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 3 hr Cold Front 69,604
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 3 hr PEllen 99,354
News From the scene of downtown shooting: 'It looked... 10 hr reality is a crutch 1
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]