First Prev
of 2
Next Last
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#21 Sep 26, 2013
2: "Dear former friend,
I want to apologize. I'm sorry you could not accept I was not maid of honor duty, even when I pointedly asked you to replace me. I'm sorry I was unable to stop a hurricane from attacking my house-I will work on that. And I'm really sorry that we ever met. Sincerely, a healthier person."

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#22 Sep 27, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>How did I miss that? that makes this guy even more nuts in my opinion.
First of all, he wants grandbabies, dabbit!
Second, he's been trying to tap that for years, and now his own son is blcoking him. Of COURSE he is disappointed!

Since: Jun 09

Saint Petersburg, FL

#23 Sep 27, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>I was surprised to see Pellen seemingly validating the bride for being a bridezilla. You, Timmy, and Toj hit on most of the points that jumped into my head.
-You don't KNOW where the storm is going to make landfall.
-You don't KNOW ahead of time that the airport is going to shutdown.
-The wedding was on a weekend. I think its safe to say that lw's trip was probably planned for the weekend with minimal time off of work. Taking an earlier flight would mean more time off work. We don't all have the leeway to take more time off of work. Her vacation for the year might be already tapped out. I'm currently a contract employee. I don't go to work, I don't get paid. Taking time off from work would be costly to me.
-Leaving earlier means a longer stay at the hotel. Who's paying for that?
-Leaving earlier by train means someone's gotta buy train tickets. Do that on a concern that the airport MIGHT shut down? What happens if the airport doesn't? LW missed her flight cause she was on the train. Non-refundable airline tickets down the toilet.
-Driving out of town with an impending storm could lead to nothing but highway gridlock. During the 2004 season when 4 hurricanes hit Florida, my co-worker's wife had enough and decided to evacuate when the 3rd or 4th was on the way. She spent full day trying to get out of the state. From Orlando heading north. Cars were not moving. She eventually turned around and went back home. Don't think she ever made it to the state line.
-Does lw have kids or pets? Whatever arrangements she originally had for them would need to be altered. Person watching your dogs over the weekend might not be able to do so anymore because they're making preparations for the hurricane.
-Hurricane's coming? You got work to do. Gotta board up your windows. Secure all the loose crap in your yard so they don't become projectiles.
-If a hurricane's about to hit my house, unless there's a mandatory evacuation, I'm staying home to tend to any damage asap.
The questions about lw's specific situation could fill a book. Its not as simple as "just leave earlier".
According to Wikipedia, this was the 7th costliest storm in US history, and for the bridezilla to be so self-centered to accuse her of planning it? F her.
This is what I was trying to say. You covered all the bases. As a fellow Floridian, I too know first hand all that's involved and how things can change last minute. Especially after Charlie!

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#24 Sep 27, 2013
itser wrote:
<quoted text>
Second, he's been trying to tap that for years, and now his own son is blcoking him. Of COURSE he is disappointed!
Ha! He wante dto tap that. That's what I'm saying!

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#25 Sep 27, 2013
Ha! I missed that also, and you are probably spot on!
itser wrote:
<quoted text>

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#26 Sep 27, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Hindsight is 20/20. You never KNOW what is going to happen. Hurricane Charlie hit Florida in 04. It was expected to hit the Tampa area. I knew someone who lived in an apartment there and decided to head a few hours south to Punta Gorda/Port Charlotte area. Charlie took a last minute turn and obliterated Punta Gorda. Tampa didn't get shit.
Same year, Hurricane Jean was coming toward Florida from the South east. Turned north before it got to Cuba, then turned back east headed out to the ocean...then said "Ha ha mother flucker fooled you!", and proceeded to make a U-turn and headed right back across Florida.
Yeah, but you are talking Florida hurricanes. That's a completely different animal. By the time hurricanes go up north (and I have the impression she's up north), unless you are right on the coast and in the range of a storm surge, you are talking flooding and maybe downed power lines from winds. The threat level is completely different.

I'm 3 hrs from the coast and I honestly would never think I just had to stay home if a hurricane hit NC ... Even a direct hit, where the eye came over my house ... Even like a category 4 or 5. If anything like that ever happens, I'd probably wouldn't mind getting the f' out.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#27 Sep 27, 2013
The problem is that when you leave, you cant get back. So the hoodlems move in and destroy what the storm spared. The looting after Wilma was incredible. They waited for the power to go out, and as soon as it did, the stealing started, even during the storm.
No thanks, I will stay home, hunker down and come out loaded for bear.
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, but you are talking Florida hurricanes. That's a completely different animal. By the time hurricanes go up north (and I have the impression she's up north), unless you are right on the coast and in the range of a storm surge, you are talking flooding and maybe downed power lines from winds. The threat level is completely different.
I'm 3 hrs from the coast and I honestly would never think I just had to stay home if a hurricane hit NC ... Even a direct hit, where the eye came over my house ... Even like a category 4 or 5. If anything like that ever happens, I'd probably wouldn't mind getting the f' out.

Location hidden

#28 Sep 27, 2013
RACE wrote:
<quoted text>The problem is that when you leave, you cant get back. So the hoodlems move in and destroy what the storm spared. The looting after Wilma was incredible. They waited for the power to go out, and as soon as it did, the stealing started, even during the storm.
No thanks, I will stay home, hunker down and come out loaded for bear.
That would be foolish round here. So many folks here are packing ... My three close buddies who I ride with all have conceal carry. I think its a good law ... Trust me if folks with conceal carry were causing problems the liberal media would be all over it. You never hear of it.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#29 Sep 27, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
That would be foolish round here. So many folks here are packing ... My three close buddies who I ride with all have conceal carry. I think its a good law ... Trust me if folks with conceal carry were causing problems the liberal media would be all over it. You never hear of it.
Foolish? Didn't you just get thru sayong you'd get the hell outta Dodge? That conceal & carry ain't gonna be much use protectin your house if you ain' t home.

Location hidden

#30 Sep 27, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Foolish? Didn't you just get thru sayong you'd get the hell outta Dodge? That conceal & carry ain't gonna be much use protectin your house if you ain' t home.
Not because of me. It's foolish because you never know if someone didn't leave and is armed. It's like playing Russian roulette.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 44 min JRB 189,746
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 45 min John Galt 1,232,297
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr As reported 53,472
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 3 hr Net Workit 5,994
Amy 5-23 11 hr mrs gladys kravitz 3
Abby 5-23 12 hr mrs gladys kravitz 2
News AP Exclusive: Union members appointed after $10... (Mar '08) 12 hr RICO 7,567
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]