Use of 'retarded' as derogatory term ...

Use of 'retarded' as derogatory term is offensive and demeaning

There are 6655 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jun 26, 2008, titled Use of 'retarded' as derogatory term is offensive and demeaning. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

D ear Amy: My family is not sure what to say to people who routinely use the word "retard" or "retarded" to mean someone or something is stupid.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 333
Next Last

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#8263 Jul 26, 2013
Oh brother
Crystal Blue Persuasion

Spring, TX

#8264 Aug 12, 2013
where art thou? Is this another game? lol

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#8265 Aug 13, 2013
Seems there are a LOT of mentally challenged folks posting unregistered.

“have seen the years,”

Since: Mar 10

and the slow parade of fears"

#8267 Oct 5, 2013
5 mph wrote:
Seems like there are a lot of people who have a superiority complex.
I agree with you. Mixed in with a wicked mean streak.

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#8268 Oct 6, 2013
Very offensive...

“ Impulsive, bone in her teeth”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#8271 Nov 13, 2013
Gee, I want to be politically correct(I'm lying)
so when my trucks motor had a ping caused by pre-ignition I should have mentally challenged the computer? Instead of simply retarding the timing?
Wow, never would have thought that.
And those handicapped spaces tick me off too.
C'mon, if you want to be treated the same as everybody else, act like it. No favors, if you please.
Let's not get started on the 'N' or 'P' or 'D' or 'K' or 'M' words either.

“ Impulsive, bone in her teeth”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#8272 Nov 13, 2013
Oh well I almost forgot, what if it's not derogatory?
Brad

Tampa, FL

#8273 Nov 13, 2013
Republicans are racist.

“have seen the years,”

#8274 Jun 9, 2015
Anybody see the ad for the new TLC show, The Willis Family, where the mom says, "Parenting is not for the retarded!" Really caught me by surprise. Not politically correct, to say the least. TLC is supposedly taking a lot of flak for it, but I don't think the ad has been pulled. The network seems to be basking in the delight of the anti "politically-correct-in-t he-name-of-decency" pigs.

“have seen the years,”

#8275 Jun 9, 2015
Doctor My Eyes wrote:
Anybody see the ad for the new TLC show, The Willis Family, where the mom says, "Parenting is not for the retarded!" Really caught me by surprise. Not politically correct, to say the least. TLC is supposedly taking a lot of flak for it, but I don't think the ad has been pulled. The network seems to be basking in the delight of the anti "politically-correct-in-t he-name-of-decency" pigs.
I stand corrected. Apparently, TLC did change the ad by dubbing over "retarded" & thus changed the closed-captioning to read "weak-hearted" in place of the original phrase. Mighty slick way to take advantage of the best of 2 worlds!
Cowardly creeps

Spring Hill, FL

#8276 Jun 11, 2015
The term RETARDED is a legit word, term etc. found in Webster's etc. U PC Pukes who R soooooo
FOOKING offended..........get a life, wake up and smell the coffee. U R retarded.
Same with "bullying" it happened to me and all others in school, we dealt with it NOT KILL OURSELVES OR LIT OUR HAIR ON FIRE. Is/are all kids NOW cowards and weaklings?
Grow a "set" same for U gals. Whack the bullies in the face or balls.
reality is a crutch

Nashua, NH

#8277 Jun 11, 2015
the president is a brain damaged very limited intellect n word person an he appoints other retarded n word people to pretend to be fat A$$ attorney generals what do nothing to end black killing wounding other blacks in Chicago results is over 1,000 black kids been killed an more wounded by other n word people with guns in Chicago while the fat A$$ed attorney general in Washington does nothing to end the violence in Chicago.

Bottom line is America has a whole bunch of brainless n word people mismanaging all aspects life in da hood..

can't wait till obozo is railroaded out of Washington sent back to the Chicago slums were he can color in his stupid coloring book

“have seen the years,”

#8278 Jun 25, 2015
reality is a crutch wrote:
the president is a brain damaged very limited intellect n word person an he appoints other retarded n word people to pretend to be fat A$$ attorney generals what do nothing to end black killing wounding other blacks in Chicago results is over 1,000 black kids been killed an more wounded by other n word people with guns in Chicago while the fat A$$ed attorney general in Washington does nothing to end the violence in Chicago.
Bottom line is America has a whole bunch of brainless n word people mismanaging all aspects life in da hood..
can't wait till obozo is railroaded out of Washington sent back to the Chicago slums were he can color in his stupid coloring book
Well, dingbat, after today with Obamacare and the Trade Bill being put into law, President Obama is well on his way to establishing the legacy we voted him into office (twice) to secure. Tomorrow SCOTUS will take care of same-sex marriage and the democracy of our magnificent country will fulfill the prophecy our forefathers worked for and dreamed of.
You may want to try moving to a place like Syria to find the kind of leadership u seem to be creaming your jeans over. ROFLMFAO!!

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#8279 Jun 25, 2015
Glad that obamacare stuff is behind us.
FPtaxi

Richmond, VA

#8280 Jun 25, 2015
All people should speak respectfully to one another unless of course, the person is evil and deserves to be called an a..hole. Anyone who intentionally harms another human is a big a..hole. It is sad that people in authority would want to harm children and teens. Does anyone think wanting someone to feel stalked and followed is nice? Promoting, encouraging and allowing cruel people to harass someone for over 10 years is sick!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 333
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 min Dr Guru 194,434
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Bluestater 1,262,936
News Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 21 min Mark 52,060
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 30 min CrunchyBacon 100,281
abby7-30-15 49 min RACE 4
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr litesong 54,344
News New video shows more of Sandra Bland's time in ... 2 hr reality is a crutch 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages