Use of 'retarded' as derogatory term is offensive and demeaning

D ear Amy: My family is not sure what to say to people who routinely use the word "retard" or "retarded" to mean someone or something is stupid. Full Story
Sparky

Winsted, CT

#8234 Jul 6, 2012
Charles R Darwin wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a current Op-Ed piece on CNN. The writer is trying to equate "illegal alien" with the 'N' word. It is the height of stupidity since illegals can be of any race...

Society is aghast when only white persons say the N-word.

“Peace be with you”

Since: Sep 09

Good will to all!

#8235 Jul 6, 2012
Charles R Darwin wrote:
Not to change the current subject back to the thread subject, but did you hear there's a movement to ban the phrase 'Illegal Alien'?
Seems it's too 'insensitive' for some folks...
What wording will be used instead? Green cardless? No paddle and up the creek? This is good... wonder what will be next.

I suppose the word "alien" is the issue. The "illegal" is still accurate. So instead of "alien" - what? Foreign Trespasser? That won't fly. Okay, I'll just sit back and wait to be entertained (again).

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#8236 Jul 6, 2012
Bated Breath wrote:
There is a big difference in calling someone a retard or tard than there is in stating a fact that a person is retarded.

When I was to meet the children of my future husband I was told his oldest child had "learning disabilities". When I met him I knew immediately he was retarded - very much like one of my cousins who was reared by my parents - only my cousin is smarter. As time went on and he still referred to his son as "learning disabled" I became confused and thought his terminology must be the current politically correct manner to describe retardation. Later I learned that had nothing to do with it - he simply would not accept he had a retarded child. This boy was done such a disservice by his father's ego - he is now in a prison-like facility (after much turmoil and heart break). My cousin has had a fruitful life and is happy and knows she is retarded. She was recognized early and was trained to become self supporting and functional. Our family has never shied away from the word "retarded".
You are heartless...... The poor child that you labeled the R word immediately ....I hope your husband left you .... You can hear the HATE in your words.......
E pluribus

United States

#8238 Jul 8, 2012
I find this to be an offensive word.
E pluribus

United States

#8240 Jul 8, 2012
Natasfonos_II wrote:
<quoted text>
Good, you stupid ruhtard.
Let a word have power over your simple mind.
I control your anger. You do not.

You have enough trouble spelling.

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#8242 Jul 9, 2012
Junket wrote:
<quoted text>
What wording will be used instead? Green cardless? No paddle and up the creek? This is good... wonder what will be next.
I suppose the word "alien" is the issue. The "illegal" is still accurate. So instead of "alien" - what? Foreign Trespasser? That won't fly. Okay, I'll just sit back and wait to be entertained (again).
I agree. The point that I was trying to make is that substituting a word does not negate the feelings behind the word. If 'retard' was replaced with 'marigold', then 'marigold' would become the new 'retard'. Illegal alien is offensive now? Fine, let's just call them all criminals, or cultural interlopers, or invaders...

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#8243 Jul 9, 2012
Natasfonos_II wrote:
<quoted text>
I spell it "ruhtard" on purpose, you hypersensitive imbecile.
Have A Nice Day :)
You just offended all the imbeciles of the world by using that term as a pejorative.

“Peace be with you”

Good will to all!

#8245 Jul 9, 2012
Charles R Darwin wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. The point that I was trying to make is that substituting a word does not negate the feelings behind the word. If 'retard' was replaced with 'marigold', then 'marigold' would become the new 'retard'. Illegal alien is offensive now? Fine, let's just call them all criminals, or cultural interlopers, or invaders...
Polite Caucasians no longer use the "N" word - but African Americans greet each other using that word. It's a "bonding" word.
Still, not sure about others, but I've never greeted another and asked, how ya doing "cracker". Which reminds me - the topix filter didn't like that word and at the time I didn't know why. Received a warning to be polite ... too funny, because it was a recipe I was sharing.

Does a challenged person - prefer to be considered "special". Bless my heart, I do not know.(Found out that "bless your heart" is also an insult.) Unbelievable.

It doesn't matter to me what "illegal aliens" are called - if they don't like it - perhaps they should leave. The Land of Good and Plenty has turned into the Land of Haves and Have Nots - with the Have Nots increasing daily.
Sparky

Winsted, CT

#8246 Jul 9, 2012
Junket wrote:
<quoted text>
Does a challenged person - prefer to be considered "special". Bless my heart, I do not know.

They readily participate in the Special Olympics; however, a Kennedy endorsed that term many years back. Who is going to argue with that clan of pompous liberals?

E pluribus

United States

#8247 Jul 9, 2012
Natasfonos_II wrote:
<quoted text>
I spell it "ruhtard" on purpose, you hypersensitive imbecile.
Have A Nice Day :)
Not to offend but, are you as ruhtarded as you post? You post as if you have a penile implant in your butt. Please don't take that the wrong way as it's just an observation.

“Peace be with you”

Good will to all!

#8249 Jul 9, 2012
Sparky wrote:
<quoted text>
They readily participate in the Special Olympics; however, a Kennedy endorsed that term many years back. Who is going to argue with that clan of pompous liberals?
Sparky! What defines a "liberal"? It's another left wing/right wing/middle/moderate conundrum for me. How would you "label" yourself?

Personally speaking, I'm milquetoast on so many issues - so that makes me a "moderate" that has voted both Democratic and Republican? Or am I an Independent? I like that word. That's good. Or Unaffiliated? I like that word even better.
:-)
Sparky

Winsted, CT

#8250 Jul 9, 2012
Junket wrote:
<quoted text>
How would you "label" yourself?

I would label myself a stud muffin.

Mike

Shorewood, IL

#8251 Jul 11, 2012
this is a stupid topic....how gay

Since: Feb 07

Never forgotten

#8253 Sep 30, 2012
Hello everyone.

Since: Sep 12

Fort Myers, FL

#8254 Sep 30, 2012
Maxie wrote:
Hello everyone.
Hello
Sparky

Waterbury, CT

#8255 Oct 1, 2012
Sergi wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello

Hey Sergi, did you piss off other persons on another thread and they followed you over here?

Since: Feb 07

Never forgotten

#8256 Oct 1, 2012
Sparky wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Sergi, did you piss off other persons on another thread and they followed you over here?
Um, not me. I was on this thread many years ago. Among other Hartford Courant threads.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#8258 Mar 26, 2013
Hello everyone.
Florida Fatties

Spring, TX

#8260 Jun 29, 2013
It's unbelievable the language in the threads here and the posts do not get reports and removed. Freedom of speech is one thing. The things you read here go past freedom of speech. Do they not teach vocabulary in Florida schools?
Queen of the Pool

Spring, TX

#8262 Jul 25, 2013
We've lost our freedom of speech.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 26 min Guru 182,025
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 40 min johnplustwomore 1,155,536
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 3 hr J RULES 71,188
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 4 hr cheluzal 98,870
Chicago Pizza Blows 5 hr joey 2
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 5 hr KiMare 51,279
AP Exclusive: Union members appointed after $10... (Mar '08) 6 hr IUEC 7,564
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info