Use of 'retarded' as derogatory term ...

Use of 'retarded' as derogatory term is offensive and demeaning

There are 6655 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jun 26, 2008, titled Use of 'retarded' as derogatory term is offensive and demeaning. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

D ear Amy: My family is not sure what to say to people who routinely use the word "retard" or "retarded" to mean someone or something is stupid.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

“Never look back unless”

Since: Sep 09

you're in a rough neighborhood

#8214 Jul 4, 2012
Sparky wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Begging your pardon, Me Lady. Please forgive this lowly subject for indulging your noble wisdom.
Though commoners are reluctant to interfere, shouldn't we emulate your Royal Highness by extending goodwill between warring factions?'Tis human nature for one to become involved and defend the underling, even when unsolicited.
I beg that you not fault your loyal subjects, who intervene on the premise of preserving peace and spreading cheerful tidings throughout your kingdom.
I shall await your decree, Me Lady.
Yes, Sir Sparky - indeed that be a lofty goal. However, at times it be tilting at windmills as so many enjoy the art of sparring. One has to give time a chance to mend fences that appear at first glance to be beyond repair. There are some wounds that resist healing. Other scratches, while initially painful, become distant memory with those willing to let bygones be bygones.

Not all are cut of a cloth that are willing to forgive. Some cherish grudges, much like a beloved blanket. It's beyond our scope in the World of Topix to try and repair what seems to be broken, despite our very best intentions to try. Many times the remedy tried becomes an accelerant to an open fire.

Sir Sparky, we may care, and care deeply about those we've not met, and those that are downtrodden, but there are times when those that find themselves under the heel of others opened the door wide for subsequent abuse.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#8215 Jul 5, 2012
_PrincessSusan_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ha! There IS a Woodshed, it has Ö stripper pole Ö
I shortened your post, because it was kind of long, but I just wanted to say that I agree with what you say above.

:D

“I could be Susan's sock!”

Since: Jun 12

Lady J's Lead Acolyte

#8216 Jul 5, 2012
Natasfonos_II wrote:
<quoted text>
Spud is the former SWEET POTATOE and also Sir Spud. He was banned many, many times, including an IP ban or two. He's a very vicious christian fundie who hates anyone less christian than he.
Thanks Nat.

:)

Lady J's Lead Acolyte

#8217 Jul 5, 2012
Junket wrote:
<quoted text>
Greetings Princess Susan!
Spud is (or perhaps was) an interesting character. Took topix very seriously. Imo, that's a mistake.
A BIG mistake. Spud would definitely dislike me since I believe in the IPU and the FSM.

Lady J's Lead Acolyte

#8218 Jul 5, 2012
Sparky wrote:
<quoted text>
Spud is (still living) a peach of a gentleman who sets the bar very high by living and treating everyone with respect along with exemplary morals and values. His trusting nature lead him into a nightmare on Topix. He was besieged by trolls, betrayal, and actual gangs of posters on at least 6 different threads.
As years passed, nearly every facet of his real life, name included, became a subject of contention. Topix consumed him as he was continually forced to defend his real life family, pets, friends and even a special ed student from another state. In some instances, he assumed the roles of posters who tormented him.
Those who disagreed with him eventually wrote him letters of apology, posted encouraging notes, and tried to have him recognize the voice of reason. It was too late. Spud never forgave nor forgot. He finally made a wise choice to quit Topix cold turkey.
On a lighter note, Princess Susan must be the person listed on your avatar.
Sounds horrible.

Yes, indeed I am the poster listed on Goddess Junket's avatar as she is listed on mine.

Lady J's Lead Acolyte

#8219 Jul 5, 2012
Junket wrote:
<quoted text>
Outing personal information is wrong... Uhm, I don't quite remember Spud as wearing a halo - but we all view others with a different lens.
Sparky - serious question - would you let Topix consume you to the point of becoming obsessive? I have good days and bad days posting - but now (5 + years of experience), I usually don't give a good fig.
Yes! Princess Sue was the first person that suggested I was a "ray of sunshine". Not true, of course, but I strive to improve daily.
:-)
Absolutely true!

<3

“Never look back unless”

#8220 Jul 5, 2012
_PrincessSusan_ wrote:
<quoted text>
A BIG mistake. Spud would definitely dislike me since I believe in the IPU and the FSM.
Doubt he would dislike you - but he might want you to embrace a new faith and be baptised in the name of our Lord, Jesus Christ. Amen.

Repent you sinner! Confess your sins. Be washed anew in the blood of the lamb, etc.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#8221 Jul 5, 2012
Junket wrote:
<quoted text>
Doubt he would dislike you - but he might want you to embrace a new faith and be baptised in the name of our Lord, Jesus Christ. Amen.
Repent you sinner! Confess your sins. Be washed anew in the blood of the lamb, etc.
Couldn't I be baptized in the name of the holy Invisible Pink Unicorn, bless Her holy hooves, may They never be shod!

“Never look back unless”

#8222 Jul 5, 2012
_Susan_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Couldn't I be baptized in the name of the holy Invisible Pink Unicorn, bless Her holy hooves, may They never be shod!
No, no, no! You heretic, you pagan, you crazy person.

Lady J's Lead Acolyte

#8223 Jul 5, 2012
Junket wrote:
<quoted text>
No, no, no! You heretic, you pagan, you crazy person.
LOL

I know! I embrace my paganism, my heretical way of being, my craziness! It's what makes me so lovable! Heh, heh.

Lady J's Lead Acolyte

#8224 Jul 5, 2012
Heh, heh.
Sparky

Winsted, CT

#8225 Jul 5, 2012
Junket wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, Sir Sparky - indeed that be a lofty goal. However, at times it be tilting at windmills as so many enjoy the art of sparring. One has to give time a chance to mend fences that appear at first glance to be beyond repair. There are some wounds that resist healing. Other scratches, while initially painful, become distant memory with those willing to let bygones be bygones.
Not all are cut of a cloth that are willing to forgive. Some cherish grudges, much like a beloved blanket. It's beyond our scope in the World of Topix to try and repair what seems to be broken, despite our very best intentions to try. Many times the remedy tried becomes an accelerant to an open fire.
Sir Sparky, we may care, and care deeply about those we've not met, and those that are downtrodden, but there are times when those that find themselves under the heel of others opened the door wide for subsequent abuse.

I can see why you're Queen of the Land.

I don't want to say that I hung onto every word you posted, but there are at least two meaningful statements to be read in each paragraph. The one I'll take with me is...

"Not all are cut of a cloth that are willing to forgive. Some cherish grudges, much like a beloved blanket."

Because of your extraordinary wisdom, Princess Susan and Duchess Sublime should design a new jeweled embroidered badge for you. Something with a solid gold stripper pole as the central focal point surrounded by diamonds. I can't wait to see you wearing it in your avatar.

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#8226 Jul 6, 2012
Not to change the current subject back to the thread subject, but did you hear there's a movement to ban the phrase 'Illegal Alien'?
Seems it's too 'insensitive' for some folks...

Location hidden

#8227 Jul 6, 2012
Sparky wrote:
<quoted text>
there are at least two meaningful statements to be read in each paragraph.
<closes eyes and sticks fingers in ears> lalalalalalalaÖ
Sparky wrote:
.Because of your extraordinary wisdom, Princess Susan and Duchess Sublime should design a new jeweled embroidered badge for you. Something with a solid gold stripper pole as the central focal point surrounded by diamonds. I can't wait to see you wearing it in your avatar.
Duchess Sublime?? Eyes all man, dude.
Sparky

Winsted, CT

#8228 Jul 6, 2012
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Duchess Sublime?? Eyes all man, dude.

Sorry about that, Duke. At least you have the pleasure of polishing the royal stripper pole.

My daughter likes Sublime. Your avatar kind of looks like the poster hanging in her room.

Sparky

Winsted, CT

#8229 Jul 6, 2012
Charles R Darwin wrote:
Not to change the current subject back to the thread subject, but did you hear there's a movement to ban the phrase 'Illegal Alien'?

Seems it's too 'insensitive' for some folks...

They should keep the "illegal" portion of the phrase. What else do you call someone who sneaks into the USA to steal our jobs, overburdens our healthcare, and places a strain on our prisons?

Location hidden

#8230 Jul 6, 2012
Sparky wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry about that, Duke. At least you have the pleasure of polishing the royal stripper pole.
My daughter likes Sublime. Your avatar kind of looks like the poster hanging in her room.
Gosh, I could do so much with this...

Um, no, I donít even get to do that. Sue doesnít let anyone, not even ME, touch her stripper pole.

She spoils all of my fun too.
Sparky wrote:
Thatís cool. Out of any band I feel they did the best job of fusing rock, reggae, and hip hop.

My wife and I went to see them with our neighbors, last year. Itís just not the same with their new singer, Rome.

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#8231 Jul 6, 2012
Sparky wrote:
<quoted text>
They should keep the "illegal" portion of the phrase. What else do you call someone who sneaks into the USA to steal our jobs, overburdens our healthcare, and places a strain on our prisons?
It's a current Op-Ed piece on CNN. The writer is trying to equate "illegal alien" with the 'N' word. It is the height of stupidity since illegals can be of any race...

Location hidden

#8232 Jul 6, 2012
Charles R Darwin wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a current Op-Ed piece on CNN. The writer is trying to equate "illegal alien" with the 'N' word. It is the height of stupidity since illegals can be of any race...
Dumb.

Illegal alien is an accurate legal description. I didn't read the piece, but I imagine they are advocating calling them some other term that is nothing more than a bunch of b.s. spin.
Sparky

Winsted, CT

#8233 Jul 6, 2012
Natasfonos_II wrote:
<quoted text>
Spud was vicious to Junker over what her husband did. He (spud) was heartless and cruel.

There were a few things where Spud could not recognize the direct correlation between what he was doing versus the injustice he was supposedly fighting.

Sometimes I'd ask Spud, "What if your grandson's teacher posted confidential info online about your grandson?(The kid is autistic.) Wouldn't you and your son be fit to be tied?" Yet, Spud would continually post the Florida girl's name and situation.

Reminds me of what Goddess Junket posted:

"...there are times when those that find themselves under the heel of others opened the door wide for subsequent abuse."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min Grey Ghost 1,274,468
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 9 min Rogue Scholar 05 196,889
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Community Disorga... 54,490
abby8-27-15 1 hr Mister Tonka 16
abby 8-28=15 2 hr RACE 1
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 2 hr RACE 6,397
ask amy 8-27 16 hr PEllen 7
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages