|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
There are millions of people who can't drive. Ever. Maybe they're legally blind, maybe they have epilepsy. They learn to manage just fine.
As far as I could tell from the letter, the LW had no affliction. The LW's situation is an aversion, a preference, not a limitation. Do you assert that not being able/willing to drive is generally a limitation that results in imposition, additional cost or some other form of compensation?

Since: Mar 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

L1: Amy sort of nailed it, actually.

L2: If you refuse to drive, move to a big city with good public transportation. The kind that regular people, not just people with too many DUIs, use. It totally works. Not everyone has to drive.

L3: What's wrong with using financial aid to pay off cc debt? I think it sounds pretty smart. Like Race, I wasn't at the table the first time this was served so maybe I'm missing something.
pde

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Sublime1 wrote:
Democrats just don't care. They just don't. Just throw money we don't have at people. They will vote for you that way.
The 10 year forgiveness program was signed into law by Bush.

“suffers from formicophilia ”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
As far as I could tell from the letter, the LW had no affliction. The LW's situation is an aversion, a preference, not a limitation. Do you assert that not being able/willing to drive is generally a limitation that results in imposition, additional cost or some other form of compensation?
Who's calling her choice a limitation?

“Licensed to Ill”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

pde wrote:
<quoted text>
The 10 year forgiveness program was signed into law by Bush.
And passed by a democrat controlled congress...

Bush sucked anyway. He was anything but fiscally responsible. Other than his religious right views and wanting to start stupid wars, he may as well have been a democrat. He also created the prescription drug plan for seniors and didn't bother to fund it, which Obama failed to correct. It's okay ... just keep adding it all to our debt. Nothing wrong here ... move along.

“This is SPARTA!”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

j_m_w wrote:
L3: What's wrong with using financial aid to pay off cc debt? I think it sounds pretty smart. Like Race, I wasn't at the table the first time this was served so maybe I'm missing something.
Should financial aid go towars, oh, I don't know, education expenses? Tuition? Books? Rent, utilities, and food even?

When I hear credit card debt, I think of someone spending beyound their means. Frivolous.

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>That would depend on where you live. If public transportation is plentiful, you can probably get by just fine. But if she lives in a place like Orlando, your public transportation options are severely limited and would greatly limit your options on where to live and where to work and where to shop etc.
You can survive in NY without a car. I could not imagine trying to survive in Orlando, Miami, Tampa, etc without a car or someone to drive you around.
There's a new invention called a bicycle.

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Judged:

My response to your post below got ghosted and you couldn't read it:
pde wrote:
<quoted text>
It wasn't an executive order, it was part of the Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act of 2010, passed by both the House and Senate and signed by Obama. It requires that the borrower have made all payments required over those 20 yearns under the income based repayment calculation.
Prior to that, student loan debt was forgiven after 25 years under the same circumstances.
No. I'm talking about this:

Pay as You Earn' option that would allow graduates to pay 10 percent of their discretionary income for 20 years and have the rest of their federal student loan debt forgiven." That's a bit better than low-income students' current situation, under which they "must pay 15 percent of their discretionary income for 25 years before having their debt forgiven." The second part of Obama's initiative "would allow the estimated 5.8 million people who hold both direct government student loans and government-backed private loans to consolidate their debts into one government loan"--getting borrowers an up to 0.5 percent reduction in their interest rate, The Wall Street Journal reports. The Journal notes that today is "the third day in a row Mr. Obama has announced an executive action aimed at bypassing Congress" meant to "jolt the economy."

To make matter worse, he also lowered the payment terms.

Let's just teach folks that it's okay to loan money from taxpayers and not pay it back. We can just add it to our debt and have our children and grandchildren pay for them to get their college educations. Nothing wrong with that according to Buck Stops Here, President Obama, although Buck Stops Here Senator Obama would strongly disagree.
pde

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Should financial aid go towars, oh, I don't know, education expenses? Tuition? Books? Rent, utilities, and food even?
When I hear credit card debt, I think of someone spending beyound their means. Frivolous.
You can get financial aid offered far and above what is needed. Particularly when I was in graduate school and on those calculations, the financial aid I was being offered was much higher than what I needed. I usually turned down about half the offered loan amounts.

If I'd had credit card debt at that point, I could see the argument to using some excess financial aid to pay it off (but that's really only going to work if you're working toward remaining financially responsible afterward). I managed to consolidate my school loans at a fixed 2.85% after I graduated. You can't get rates that low anymore (that was back when the rates were tied to prime with no bottom limit) but even at whatever they are (6.8%?) that's less than carrying a lot of credit debt.
Sam I Am

Huntingdon, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Common sense. Not being able/willing to drive is generally a limitation. Driving allows you to go further in less time. It allows you to bring more cargo. It allows you to cope with adverse weather. And this smacks of one of your typical "being contrary for the sake of being contrary" arguments, so this is my last reply.
pde

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Sublime1 wrote:
To make matter worse, he also lowered the payment terms.
Let's just teach folks that it's okay to loan money from taxpayers and not pay it back. We can just add it to our debt and have our children and grandchildren pay for them to get their college educations. Nothing wrong with that according to Buck Stops Here, President Obama, although Buck Stops Here Senator Obama would strongly disagree.
Ah, I see. The executive order made the changes which start in 2014 under the act from 2010 start in 2013 instead.

Since: Mar 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Should financial aid go towars, oh, I don't know, education expenses? Tuition? Books? Rent, utilities, and food even?
But if they're paying OFF credit card debt, to get out of the hole, that's a good thing. It's obviously not good if they're wasting money but I read it as paying off higher interest debt as a priority. But I missed the original letter so I really don't know what the LW's situation was.
pde

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

So, if I'm parsing the program correctly, the first possible loan forgiveness under this program would occur in mid to late 2032 rather than 2034.

(The student must have received a student loan on or after Oct 1, 2011 ... which would be a loan for either fall 2011 or winter 2012. The twenty year clock starts from a first repayment on an IBR schedule, which would be after the 6 months grace period, so earliest possible repayment start under this program would be around June 2012. More likely, December 2012 or January 2013. So, all the people who graduated last May or June become eligible to start their 20 year clock about right now.)

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
Common sense. Not being able/willing to drive is generally a limitation. Driving allows you to go further in less time. It allows you to bring more cargo. It allows you to cope with adverse weather. And this smacks of one of your typical "being contrary for the sake of being contrary" arguments, so this is my last reply.
You're arguing against a point that only you are making.

“This is SPARTA!”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
But if they're paying OFF credit card debt, to get out of the hole, that's a good thing.
Sure, but what put them in that hole? Was it tuition? Books? Groceries?

Or did they take a trip to Panama City last spring break and now have a huge balance just sitting there?

When I hear the term credit card debt in relation to a student, my first thought is not that they incurred that debt on legitimate education related expenses, but on non essential stuff, and in my mind financial aid and school loans should go toward school or school related expenses.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd call it limitation too.

My ex-friend the jeweler couldn't drive for much of our relationship, even though her job as an artist required her to attend art fairs all over the greater chicagoland area and even to other states. She could not take public trans, with all that gear, so she had to rely on someone to drive her. That meant that she always had to find someone and pay them to assist her, even at events that she could have handled on her own (say an indoor event where the tent was not needed), thus lowering what profit she could have made.

She knew it limited what she could do, so she finally did learn, but she was so terrified of driving that she was an terrible driver.

The LW needs to learn, even if they choose not to own a car.
pde

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Anyhow, what's the reality of the student loan program as it currently exists still existing under those rules in 2032 or 2034? The rules are rewritten every 6 years or so anyhow.

Nobody who started their loan repayment before 2007 is eligible for much of anything. My loan balance gets forgiven if I die, and that's about it. When I started repaying the first set of them, I think they were still dischargeable in bankruptcy but they aren't anymore.

I do think this is kicking it down the road but anyone who is thinking they can depend on these programs really needs to look at the history of student financial aid in the US. There have been ways to have your loans forgiven, and they have been cancelled before anyone actually got their loans forgiven.

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

pde wrote:
Anyhow, what's the reality of the student loan program as it currently exists still existing under those rules in 2032 or 2034? The rules are rewritten every 6 years or so anyhow.
Nobody who started their loan repayment before 2007 is eligible for much of anything. My loan balance gets forgiven if I die, and that's about it. When I started repaying the first set of them, I think they were still dischargeable in bankruptcy but they aren't anymore.
I do think this is kicking it down the road but anyone who is thinking they can depend on these programs really needs to look at the history of student financial aid in the US. There have been ways to have your loans forgiven, and they have been cancelled before anyone actually got their loans forgiven.
Well, I hope you are right.

I think there are instances where loans should be forgiven, but it shouldn't be a blanket policy.
pde

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I hope you are right.
I think there are instances where loans should be forgiven, but it shouldn't be a blanket policy.
I think there are a mass of people who finished their degrees around 2006/2007 who are going to get right up to having their remainders forgiven via the government/public section program in 2017/2018 and have the rug pulled out from under them.

Maybe the first year's worth of them who have clung desperately to keeping themselves in public sector jobs for the full decade will get their forgiveness. My sister's one of them and that's why I insisted she get herself onto the program ASAP when it was offered. You want to be at your 120th payment with the first group of people reaching their 120th payment.

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

squishymama wrote:
She knew it limited what she could do, so she finally did learn, but she was so terrified of driving that she was an terrible driver.
That's my point. If you're so terrified of driving, don't. There are other alternatives.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of50
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

53 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min fetch almighty 1,034,303
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 5 min wojar 167,647
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 34 min lol 3,780
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 42 min j_m_w 96,143
Song Titles Only (group/artist in parenthesis m... (Mar '10) 42 min RJS 7,552
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 48 min Frijoles 65,148
Abby 4-19 1 hr greenwichvillage 24
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance