On Internet, Brazil is beating US at ...

On Internet, Brazil is beating US at its own game

Posted in the Chicago Forum

Bill Woodcock

Matawan, NJ

#1 Sep 20, 2013
On Internet, Brazil is beating US at its own game
by Bill Woodcock
September 20, 2013 | 2:45PM ET

Analysis: Brazil's official response to NSA spying obscures its massive Web growth challenging US dominance

U.S. National Security Agency documents from 2012 revealed this month by Glenn Greenwald show that the intelligence agency recorded email and telephone calls of Brazilian and Mexican heads of state as well as the Brazilian state oil producer Petrobras and other energy, financial and diplomatic targets. It is unsurprising that a national intelligence agency would attempt to gather such information, and it can be argued that it was, however overzealously, doing the job American taxpayers are paying for. But it is also a disappointing, though illuminating, commentary on the state of the Internet that it was successful.

In response to the revelations, on Tuesday Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff announced measures to protect the privacy of Brazil's citizens from NSA spying:
•Increase domestic Internet bandwidth production
•Increase international Internet connectivity
•Encourage domestic content production
•Encourage use of domestically produced network equipment

read more

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2013/9/...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min he my bro 1,762,547
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 20 min Patriot AKA Bozo 64,694
Looking for a daddy 40 min Vengeance Mary 5
Change one letter in the word (Mar '12) 4 hr MPMMB 116
84 shootings in May 12 hr MAGA 8
Paul Ryan Achieved his Goal Tax Breaks for the ... 20 hr Krumb Cakes 1
News Chicago man charged for rash of carjackings, fa... Sat lol 1

Chicago Jobs

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages