Urlacher angered by fans' booing of Grossman

Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher saw no problem with waving his hands to the fans after they booed the defense's second-quarter struggles Sunday against the Lions. Read more
First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Wrigley Field Bear

San Francisco, CA

#1 Nov 3, 2008
Urlacher's not half as pissed off as I am, and I think Grossman stinks. But it's counterproductive, and therefore STUPID, to boo your own players. Save the booing for the opposition and the refs. And to top it off, Grossman has had a great attitude for a starter who's been benched. Along with my anger at the idiots booing him, I also feel sorry for him and ashamed to be a Bear fan when I hear this crap.
Bob

Gretna, NE

#2 Nov 3, 2008
Hey Urlacher, those of us in sec 230 were booing you. If you beleive your playing good ball, then I beleive I am over paying for my season tickets. I know some of this is your completely clueless coaches, but you have certainly lost some of you charm. You were to my Grandson what Butkus is to me. Notice I said was??? Here's some advice from this retired steel worker and season ticket holder of over 30 years. Shut and and play.
Irishgirl

Chicago, IL

#3 Nov 3, 2008
My brother played football at Leo High School in the 1940's and once got a ticket to go to a Bear's game. He was disgusted by the amount of booing that went on.
He said none of the "boo'ers" looked like they had ever played football in their lives.
stanT

Chicago, IL

#4 Nov 3, 2008
Awwwww, poor Brian. Maybe they should give him a bigger contract to soothe his sensitive feelings. But with this one, your contract money goes even higher as your play declines more.

Are you talking to the press again Mr Personality? The fans are forever indebted to you for stooping to the evil press and communicating.

Thank you for being such a wonderful communicator and role model for all fathers.
Chris

Omaha, NE

#5 Nov 3, 2008
I agree with what Urlacher did. There is nothing more frustrating to me than to be a bear fan from a longer distance away and not have as many opportunities to go to games as some people, who choose to boo our own team. When Kyle Orton went down Rex Grossman become the best that we have that is able to play. I can clearly see that Kyle Orton is playing very well this season and did not like seeing him get hurt, but Rex Grossman deserves better.

Rex Grossman has lead the Bears to alot of vitories over the past few years. He has had the tendancy to force alot of balls, but some of the best quarterbacks of all time are also known for that. Rex Grossman is much better than any other back up quarterback in the NFL. I personally would like to see what he can do with a running game like he enjoyed before the Bears traded away Thomas Jones, in favor of some slappy named Cedric. I really hope that Rex makes all of those booing fans look stupid over the course of the next few weeks.

Brian Urlacher did the right thing, he stuck up for his teammate who has given much more to the Bears than they have ever given to him.
bobo

Elmwood Park, IL

#6 Nov 3, 2008
I agree, booing the home team serves no purpose. I also would like to hear our MULTI million dollar linebacker speak like a man at his locker after the game, instead of acting like a 2 year old, or a man who could care less. I agree if you want to hate the media, Brian, but by not talking with them you are only losing fans, and if you say, "whatever" to that then I guarantee you will lose half your fan base if you haven't already. Dude! Grow UP! You too Briggs, dancing around and acting stupid after you almost got beat by the most pathetic team(other than Raiders) in football. How about carrying on with an intelligent conversation about football, and showing a man respect that has waited to ask YOU a question.
D Jameson

United States

#8 Nov 3, 2008
I agree with Urlacher--it was a pure lack of class for the fans to boo Grossman. This guy has handled everything with class since his demotion and also through all of the crap heaped on him by the media. And the media should take a lot of the blame for encouraging this type of behavior. As a season ticket holder, it is getting old to have to listen to the so called experts all the time with all the gloom and doom. If you don't have something good to say--don't say it at all. Oh--that does not sell papers or get folks to listen to the idiots Boring and Einstein(just ask him) on the The Score!
Gene

Orland Park, IL

#9 Nov 3, 2008
Another crybaby millionaire who believes the fans should worship the ground they walk upon. It's salaries like this that have caused ticket prices to skyrocket out of the average fans reach, and then he thinks these fans should not be able to express their displeasure with the team. Booing is part of the game, just as cheering is. You play well, you get cheers, you screw up, you get boos, get over it!
Howie

Lake Villa, IL

#10 Nov 3, 2008
If you pay the crazy prices to the tickets and you're not happy with the result, you should be allowed to boo. Throwing stuff on the field, and getting a little too personal with your comments is over the line though.
Poor baby is making crazy money and he's crying about his teammates being booed. Too bad.
Big Johnson

Elgin, IL

#11 Nov 3, 2008
I'd like to slap him right on that baldo head of his. Arrogant POS!
Jerseyboy

Brooklyn, NY

#12 Nov 3, 2008
it's about time a leader on this team speaks up about rex he clearly doesn't deserve that kind of treatment. he will prove many wrong and will get better week to week..
Mike

Highland Park, IL

#13 Nov 3, 2008
What a bunch of junk. I was at the game and the halftime booing was directed at the lousy 1st half results. The fans were as frustrated as I've seen in 10+ years. A horrible 0-7 team was beating us 23-13 and the Defense had had a week off to come back and still look bad.

Urlacher better stop getting new model girlfriends and bank some cash because the clock is ticking on his earning ability. He's not smart enough to figure it out, of course, and joins a long list of super talented physical specimens, too stupid to ensure they are set for life as a result of their abilities. A shame really.

As to Rex, I think people saw what they saw before and reacted accordingly. A pass that fluttered out of his puny hands, an interception, a bunch of off target balls, some good ones and a couple dropped by the defenders that could've been interceptions. Nothing new there except everyone has seen it before and knows how this movie ends. We are ready to move on. He's a good back-up for us now, but thats it.
Patrick

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#14 Nov 3, 2008
So Brian has established an acceptable level of play for himself as something above "terrible". What a shame that Urlacher seems to be taking lessons from the Frank Thomas school of public relations. Actually Frank seemed to take more pride in his work than Urlacher has lately; although he's not as insufferable...yet
Fans Deserve A Winner

Edmond, OK

#15 Nov 3, 2008
Brian Urlacher is upset with the fans booing Rex Grossman. Mr. Bear Defense has been around enough bars in Chicago to realize an occasional championship in a pro sport - ANY SPORT - would go a long way to keeping the crowd attitude on your side.

Let's face it, outside of 1) the Sox in 05, 2) the bulls run of 6, 3) the Bears one and done in '85 and, 4) the Blackhawks one and done way the hell back in the early '60's the fans have had zilch. Let's not even go to the Cubs with this one.

I'd boo, too, if I paid good $$ for mediocrity.
Big Johnson

Elgin, IL

#16 Nov 3, 2008
Jerseyboy wrote:
it's about time a leader on this team speaks up about rex he clearly doesn't deserve that kind of treatment. he will prove many wrong and will get better week to week..
You're a HOMER!
Chris

Omaha, NE

#17 Nov 3, 2008
D Jameson wrote:
I agree with Urlacher--it was a pure lack of class for the fans to boo Grossman. This guy has handled everything with class since his demotion and also through all of the crap heaped on him by the media. And the media should take a lot of the blame for encouraging this type of behavior. As a season ticket holder, it is getting old to have to listen to the so called experts all the time with all the gloom and doom. If you don't have something good to say--don't say it at all. Oh--that does not sell papers or get folks to listen to the idiots Boring and Einstein(just ask him) on the The Score!
You are exactly right. The media is to blame for much of this. You would think that the people who around the team all of the time could come up with more that the same old stupid crap of GOOD REX/BAD REX. If any of them had a brain in their head the would know that Rex Grossman has always been that player. At Florida, he got away with throwing those balls. When he went into a slump during his first full season of playing, that is to be expected. He still has more upside than Kyle Orton. He just has to stay away from the the Gun slinger menatality all of the time.
Alex

Chicago, IL

#18 Nov 3, 2008
Urlacher.........

Cry to Lovie the Mope's Bad-Bich about a pass rush and a game plan and an adjusted game plan........

Cry to Angelo the Dope about the over paid defensive players.......

Don't cry to fans about the booing of the Gimp Grossman the ultimate choker.

Urlacher we pay to watch and boo and we pay you to play and SHUT UP.....

Surprise us with a sack or a pick.

Cry to YO MAMA.........
Dave

Chicago, IL

#19 Nov 3, 2008
What a joke - you claim to be a real fan and you boo the QB trying to win the game for us....I cant figure out if you are just too selfish and dont care what it means to the team or just to stupid to realize that booing the home team is not very helpful....I bet a bit of both I guess. You paid the high prices and these guys are millionaires and an 0-7 team was beating us and blah blah blah......how terrible that the Bears incovenienced you that much....Sell your ticket and stay away....Boooooo

“FIRE CHILLY! FIRE CHILLY! ”

Since: Aug 08

Rensselaer

#20 Nov 3, 2008
this is the problem with chicago sports fans. when your team isnt playing their best, the fans are always criticizing them, and when their winning they jump back on the bandwagon. i have seen it happen time after time with the bears, bulls, white sox, and cubs. im not a bears fan, but i think urlacher did nothing wrong. and for those of you who say that he is being overpayed while his skills decline are completely wrong. he is still the best middle linebacker in the league. im sure if the bears defense was playing as good as it did in 06' when they went to super bowl you would all act like you were loyal fans because thats what the majority of chicago fans do.
Bruhnke

Santa Fe, NM

#22 Nov 3, 2008
I really hope Rex has a great 3 games....increases his market value..and heads out of town. He deserves so much more. It's no longer funny propogating what the media started in the first place. If you boo rex...that makes you an idiot...end of story. Urlacher has every right to feel the way he does towards Chicago fans...we are the most negative pessimistic cry baby's there is. If football means that much to you that you have to degrade othr human beings when your not winning a game YOUR NOT EVEN PLAYING...you need to go out and at least rent yourself a life. It's just entertainment.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min Holy Jumpin Jesus 1,207,245
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 11 min Agents of Corruption 52,380
Amy 3-30-15 13 min Kuuipo 35
Abby 3-30-15 24 min RACE 11
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 28 min Jacques Ottawa 185,930
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr x-ray 71,702
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 3 hr taroB 69,316
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]