Bicyclist dies in North Lake Shore Drive crash

Full story: Chicago Tribune

A bicyclist was struck and killed by a vehicle Thursday evening on Lake Shore Drive on Chicago's North Side, authorities said.
Comments
21 - 40 of 214 Comments Last updated Aug 12, 2008
Steve

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2008

Ella wrote:
<quoted text> I have to comment on this only because I cannot believe you are indeed a medical student. I know that this is a rather informal area for one to render and opinion, but basic grammar and punctuation is expected. The fact that you do not know how to capitalize or use possessive apostrophes is dispicable.
Kinda harsh, huh Ella?
Chicago Boy

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2008

It's the same old story in this town. Nobody gives a rats a** about anybody. There is so much rage in this city, it amazes me it doesn't surface more often.

I don't know the whole story, so won't comment on this particluar incident. But, my suspicion is with road rage, or, at best, really stupid, unattentive driving/riding!
sad

Wheeling, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2008

Judged:

Ella wrote:
<quoted text> I have to comment on this only because I cannot believe you are indeed a medical student. I know that this is a rather informal area for one to render and opinion, but basic grammar and punctuation is expected. The fact that you do not know how to capitalize or use possessive apostrophes is dispicable. Please let us know what school you are attending, so we know not to seek out a physician from that school. You obviously don't have to know how to read and write to get in.
My prayers are with the family of this deceased man.
Do you think the man might have been a little shaken up by what he just saw? Maybe he wasn't concerned about grammar?

What a horrific accident.

If this biker was on Outer LSD - wtf??? I agree many drivers need to be more careful, but same goes to the bikers. They need to follow the rules of the road like cars do and few do that.
John J Coughlin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2008

Why wasn't he on the bicycle path that runs along Lake Shore Drive? While it is sad that he was killed there is no excuse for him being on the Drive to begin with.

It is time for the police to crack down on bicyclists big time.
what the heck

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2008

Ella wrote: "The fact that you do not know how to capitalize or use possessive apostrophes is dispicable. Please let us know what school you are attending, so we know not to seek out a physician from that school. You obviously don't have to know how to read and write to get in."

Possibly not the ideal time or place for Ella's comments, but she's right; a medical student who's barely literate? Come on. The txt-messaging generation need to go back to school.
Steve

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2008

Ella wrote:
<quoted text>The fact that you do not know how to capitalize or use possessive apostrophes is dispicable..
What's despicable is that you just anonymously attacked a poor kid who witnessed a dead biker in the street and tried to help him.
what the heck

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2008

the woeful Sun-Times is reporting that it was a pedestrian killed, not a bicyclist. Guess that crumpled bike in the Trib's photo threw itself into the road.

FROM STNG WIRE REPORTS
Fire officials say a man was killed after being struck by a car Thursday evening off of Lake Shore Drive in the North Side’s Lakeview neighborhood.

Emergency crews responded to a report of a pedestrian struck by a car about 5:45 p.m. in the 3300 block of North Lake Shore Drive, according to Fire Media Affairs Chief Kevin MacGregor.

A man was dead at the scene when crews arrived but was taken to Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center to be pronounced, MacGregor said.

The Cook County Medical Examiner’s office has not been notified of a fatality as of 6:15 p.m.

Police had no immediate information regarding the incident.
Monica

Peoria, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2008

Seriously...come on guys. I use formal writing for emails at work. While writing emails to my friends, i do not punctuate at all. That does not mean i am illiterate. At best that makes me lazy. Who really cares. My best friend is the best doctor I know, but she makes mistakes too. We are all human.

I feel for this guys family, its truly sad.
Matt

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2008

Did you see the picture of the mangled bike? It was not a pedestrian. And everyone it was on Outer LSD. The traffic was backed up and all the cops/fire engines were on Outer LSD. Myself and a bunch of on lookers were watching all of this from Inner LSD.
Also saw the aftermath

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2008

Ella wrote:
<quoted text> I have to comment on this only because I cannot believe you are indeed a medical student. I know that this is a rather informal area for one to render and opinion, but basic grammar and punctuation is expected. The fact that you do not know how to capitalize or use possessive apostrophes is dispicable. Please let us know what school you are attending, so we know not to seek out a physician from that school. You obviously don't have to know how to read and write to get in.
Hey, Ella in Hinsale, give Bike Crash a break. I don't think your punctuation would be so great if that was part of YOUR evening commute home.
MandarinOrange

Minooka, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2008

bike crash wrote:
i am a 27 year old medical student who was driving on inner lake shore drive and looked to my right and saw all these cars lined up with a guy in the middle and people all around him i stopped my car put my hazard lights on and ran towards the scene cars were at a dead stop. so i ran towards oncoming traffic on LSD and arrived to the scene seconds after the crash. they young man was laying on his stomach with his neck twisted back staring me right in the face blood coming out of his ears and nose. a man who was standing above the victims body was on the phone with 911 at this point. i bent down asked him to blink if he could hear me, no response, reached for his pulse, nothing. looked up at the guy with the phone and he tells me hes gone man, hes dead. i dont know how this man ended up in the middle lane but i overheard that a cab driver hit him. the moral is be careful drive safe you are only saving 2 minutes by speeding. my prayers are with this mans family and friends.
Thank you for stopping, and for posting what you saw. My prayers for this man, his family, and friends.
Average Joe

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2008

Ella wrote:
Hey, Ella, lighten the eff up. This guy was typing fast here on the Tribune blog. He was not typing an article for the New England Journal of Medicine.

Typos in a blog comment? Perfectly acceptable. I don't care if you are Albert-freaking-Einstein. Blog comments are informal.

For nitpickers like you, it's clear that no doctor would want you as a patient. It would be no loss to the medical student you attempt to deride. Good riddance!
bike crash

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2008

from ABC7chicago.com

CHICAGO (WLS)-- A pedestrian has been killed in the southbound lanes of Lake Shore Drive near Belmont Avenue.

Chicago police and the fire department have confirmed the fatality on LSD but no further details.

Witnesses told ABC7 a bicyclist was hit by a cab on Inner Lake Shore going north and flew over the barrier into southbound lanes where he was struck again by a truck.

Only one lane was open on southbound Lake Shore. One lane was closed northbound.
Koz

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2008

I don't know why some of you have so much hate. To be-little each other about grammar and punctuation, give me a break! And for the person to say that the guy got what he deserved, I am sure his family and friends appreciate that. Try to me nicer to people.
sarahmas

Irvine, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2008

What the heck was a bike rider doing on LSD at Addison?! This person is unfortunately the newest candidate for a Darwin Award.
Steve

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2008

sarahmas wrote:
What the heck was a bike rider doing on LSD at Addison?! This person is unfortunately the newest candidate for a Darwin Award.
If you read the post two spaces above yours, you wouldn't look like such an idIot on here.
Diana

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2008

The accident is under investigation as to how this occurred. I live on inner LSD, one block from the accident, and ran over to the scene. There are two versions of the story; he was on LAKE SHORE DRIVE bicyling and he was on INNER Lake Shore Drive, hit by a car which threw him into traffic onto LAKE SHORE DRIVE and was hit again by a Ford truck. When I asked the Police Sargent, all they wanted at that time were WITNESSES. If anyone saw anything, please contact the Chicago Police.

And as for the woman, Ella, who scorns a person's grammer on these sights, shame on you! I would think you have better things to do.
Koz

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2008

He wasn't at Addison! Maybe if you lived in Chicago you would know that!
brooke

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2008

i was walking on inner LSD on the corner of roscoe when i heard the noise, then saw the front bike tire fly forward. i ran across the street as a truck turned around and drove back into oncoming traffic when i saw the body laying in lake shore drive. the two ladies nearby who just got off the bus didnt see exactly what happened either. i did see the med student come up and take his pulse. i do not think he was biking on LSD, but i didn't see him fly over the median in front of the bus. regardless, it was very scary and i still feel horrible for him. please, please be careful when you are driving near bikes, and if you would be unfortunate enough to hit someone even by accident, just stop! there was immediate talk amongst the witnesses that a cab drove off, but i didn't see it.
chi

Champaign, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2008

yo cali, he was on the INNER drive... you can keep your darwin award.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

84 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Grey Ghost 1,079,099
Amy 7-24 11 min Mister Tonka 3
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 25 min jacques Mont Tremblant 174,515
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 42 min Terry rigsby 48,868
Abby 7-24 1 hr RACE 3
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 hr voice of peace 67,899
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 2 hr KrisChristie 1,856
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 3 hr edogxxx 97,516
•••

Beach Hazards Statement for Cook County was issued at July 24 at 3:20AM CDT

•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••