Chicago, America's most segregated big city

Full story: Chicago Tribune

First of three parts The paths taken by Colin Lampark and Rosalyn Bates help illustrate why Chicago is the most racially segregated big city in America.
Comments
1 - 20 of 1,792 Comments Last updated Mar 2, 2013
First Prev
of 90
Next Last
yochanan

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Dec 26, 2008
 

Judged:

2

1

1

also rich in drug dealing, whoreing, and mugging. no thank you, i suggest they put sec. 8's right next to the congresscrooks house or apt. wonder if mayor daley would like to have a sec 8 next door?

seems offensive material isn't removed if it is of a anti semitic nature
ex-detroiter

Boca Raton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Dec 26, 2008
 
apparently these writers haven't been to Detroit-93% minority-it doesn't get any more segregated than that
WakeUpPeople

Southbury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Dec 26, 2008
 

Judged:

3

1

1

Let it to a challenge to build communities which Caucasian Americans desire to move to our communities. If Africans in America, with the know how/knowledge of sustaining a community and resources, refused to move to their communities and stayed/in lived in their old neighborhoods - are communities would not be in the state they are in!!!!
Citizen

Tinley Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Dec 26, 2008
 

Judged:

4

2

1

WTF wrote:
"While whites are willing to vote for Obama, they aren't nearly as interested in living in neighborhoods rich in color."
Those neighborhoods also tend to be rich in homicides, robberies, and gunfire...
Very very good response, how very true. Yes, rich in homicides, robberies, and gunfire...very very true. Nobody wants to live there, any blacks who can are getting out of there as well.
Chris

Falls Church, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Dec 26, 2008
 

Judged:

2

2

2

"There is a comfort level being among people of your own race," she said. "I don't think that there was any intention of segregation behind that."

I wonder if the White Guy in your storie had this if you might of thought it was as racist sounding as the Black Guy who said "it ain't us - it's them" who are racist?
Alex

Champaign, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Dec 26, 2008
 

Judged:

7

5

3

It seems like the previous posts have expressed the truth. Go to any of these neighborhoods, they are riddled with gangs, homicides, robberies and way too much gunfire. It's not that we don't want to live next to blacks or hispanics, I just don't want to live in that mess or let alone have my child grow up in that setting.
Citizen

Tinley Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Dec 26, 2008
 

Judged:

4

3

2

That is just a very racist article. Very very racist. It is totally harping down on whites. Anything they say in that article about whites, you could say about blacks as well. But they make sure they say: whites this, whites that.
Why do you think that blacks prefer to live in a diverse neighborhood? It is not for the reasons they insinuate in the article. Blacks equally "associate black neighborhoods with high crime and poor quality schools". It's not that "whites have a lower tolerance for blacks and other minorities" but the conduct which usually accompanies them.
It is changing though, it is changing because blacks are changing. You see it is not the color of one's skin but one's conduct. I'm not denying that there aren't some damn racists out there, black and white, but largely it is a thing about conduct.
Citizen

Tinley Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Dec 26, 2008
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Casey wrote:
Why should white people be forced to live with people of a different culture? The south suburbs are an example why white people have fled: high crime rate, drug dealers, properties not being maintained, and businesses closing. The south suburbs use to be a nice place to live, but it has turned into a big ghetto; Harvey looks like a third world country.
The Tribune should not blame white people for segregation. The news media, who live in places like Winnetka and Lake Forest, have no idea what is happening in the real world.
You are so right. I remember Dolton 25 years ago. Look at it now. Now, why is that? Because of 'white flight'? What does that say about blacks?
Disappointing

Cape Coral, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Dec 26, 2008
 

Judged:

7

3

1

Reading this article I see over and over that people of ALL races are choosing to live where they do. I see nothing of African American or Hispanic Chicagoan's desiring to live on the North Side, but not being welcome. I have many friends of many races who refuse to move from the neighborhoods where they've settled. However, we all gather to enjoy each others time in the Loop before we return to our homes.
Stop making 'segregation' a white racism issue.
MTF

Anonymous Proxy

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Dec 26, 2008
 

Judged:

3

1

1

Casey wrote:
Why should white people be forced to live with people of a different culture? The south suburbs are an example why white people have fled: high crime rate, drug dealers, properties not being maintained, and businesses closing. The south suburbs use to be a nice place to live, but it has turned into a big ghetto; Harvey looks like a third world country.
The Tribune should not blame white people for segregation. The news media, who live in places like Winnetka and Lake Forest, have no idea what is happening in the real world.
The situation is not going to improve very soon. Once a ghetto always a ghetto there elected officials don't care.I blame the whites also for electing them.
with there elected politicians.I blame the whites for voting for them also.
WakeUpPeople

Southbury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Dec 26, 2008
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
Very very good response, how very true. Yes, rich in homicides, robberies, and gunfire...very very true. Nobody wants to live there, any blacks who can are getting out of there as well.
Unfortunately, you are posting truths. However, Caucasians have always redlined Africans in America communities. Even Caucasians of the Jewish Faith - before Dr. King was assassinated, he moved to Chicago. Dr. King realized that regardless of political positions or faiths, Caucasians as a whole do not want to live near Africans in America. I think it is legitimate making the only alternative is to desire to get more Africans in Americe with knowledge/resources to stay in our community. This allows for change because for our people to desire change - they must see it first. Explaining why our communities get worst and worst because it is not a coincidence. It is the natural process of communities under the present realities.
Citizen

Tinley Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Dec 26, 2008
 

Judged:

2

1

1

American First wrote:
God's chosen can't live around Satan's chosen people.
You see what I mean? Then we get stupid comments like that.

Hey man, can you say anything intelligent? Maybe like contribute a meaningful argument? Do you know what a meaningful argument is?

Watch, we'll get another stupid meaningless response.
Jamal

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Dec 26, 2008
 

Judged:

3

3

3

The one buried statement, "now personal preferences and economics fuel it (segregated living areas)" deserves greater emphasis. There is nothing that bars blacks from moving anywhere in Chicago but they, like people of ethnic backgrounds, like to live among their friends and relatives. The fact is, blacks populate many downtown apartment and condo buildings because they choose to live among people of similar economic stature. A black physician at Northwestern has more in common with white or Asian physicians than he does with people who may live and work in Bronzeville, for example. Take Obama for example. He is more comfortable living in Hyde Park, which is mostly white, than in a black neighborhood. Want to find fault with personal preferences? Start with the pres-elect.
Jill

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Dec 26, 2008
 

Judged:

4

4

3

I agree with most of the posts. People may call me racist after they read this.

People want to live where their neighborhood caters to them. For example stores and restaurants. The stores stock items that cater to who lives there. A Jewel in one neighborhood may have different items than a Jewel in another neighborhood. Nothing wrong with wanting to live near stores that have what you want. All people, no matter what race, want this.

In addition, I want to live in an area which has little crime and no people loitering all over the place with their pants hanging down showing their underwear. I'm sorry, but fact is that the highest crime IS in the black and Hispanic areas. Have you ever heard of a white gang in Lakeview? Its not racist if you want to live in a safer area of the city.
WakeUpPeople

Southbury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Dec 26, 2008
 
Citizen wrote:
That is just a very racist article. Very very racist. It is totally harping down on whites. Anything they say in that article about whites, you could say about blacks as well. But they make sure they say: whites this, whites that.
Why do you think that blacks prefer to live in a diverse neighborhood? It is not for the reasons they insinuate in the article. Blacks equally "associate black neighborhoods with high crime and poor quality schools". It's not that "whites have a lower tolerance for blacks and other minorities" but the conduct which usually accompanies them.
It is changing though, it is changing because blacks are changing. You see it is not the color of one's skin but one's conduct. I'm not denying that there aren't some damn racists out there, black and white, but largely it is a thing about conduct.
How can it be racist? I know in 2008, the word is throw around too much. However, the article is not racist. Yes, anything they say about Caucasians can be said of Africans in America but if done, how can you continue to divide the people with superficial reasoning?

Africans in America with knowledge/resources move to Caucasian Americans neighborhoods because they want to be embraced by the majority - assimilation. However, to truly be diversied, the same reality must exist for Caucasian Americans (Caucasians desiring to move to our communities). It does not because those Africans in America run from problems, they can help solve.
Nikki Patin

Lansing, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Dec 26, 2008
 

Judged:

2

1

1

I think you're all deluded. As a mixed-race, Black-identified person who grew up in the South Suburbs BEFORE White flight, I can tell you that it was NOT a nice place to live. I got called the n-word to my face, Aunt Jemima and then got punished for getting upset at being called these slurs while in a public institution of learning. Our family friends, also Black, who lived in South Holland got crosses burned on their lawn and petitions passed to get them to move out. The high school in Lansing, IL, had a Confederate flag for their high school flag until 1993. My family still lives in the same area and I still feel just as uncomfortable because the hostility from most Whites in Chicago (and the surrounding suburbs) has been and still is palpable. I can see it, I can feel it and I hate it. There's nothing civilized, nice or quality about unmitigated hatred. I was an honors student who never had a detention and followed all the rules, only to be ignored by ignorant teachers and harassed by ignorant peers. I've traveled a lot and Chicago is way more uptight about race than NYC, LA, SF, Miami, even Nashville and Atlanta. Sigh. I was born and raised in this city and have lived everywhere, on every side...even the much fabled, but definitely real, East side, where all the ghosts of the steel mills rest. What I hate the most is feeling like I'm a stranger/outsider to the city that gave birth to me, my Mother and my Father. I love Chicago, but I don't think it feels the same way about me. :{
southside al

Highland, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Dec 26, 2008
 

Judged:

1

1

I disagree that segregation is caused more be white prejudice vs. black prejudice. I stop for lunch at a bar on the southside in a white area and see black workers stop in all the time. If i as a whit man tried to eat at local bars on the west side or in Englewood, do you think I would be left alone? Not from my experience.
NW Suburb Homeowner

Streamwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Dec 26, 2008
 

Judged:

3

2

2

As a white NW suburb homeowner, my family welcomed the diversity when a black family moved in next door. Unfortunately, the stereotype began to play out true. It wasn't long before the grass was left uncut, trash was left out on the lawn all week, snow is never shoveled, several junk cars are always left out. For several years the police were called to the house while the family's teenagers were growing up. People come and go all hours of the day and night - we suspect drug dealing. Worst of all the house looks like hell. No one will ever want to buy our house should we decide to sell. Too bad this particular family played right into our stereotypes. That's why we prefer to remain segregated.
WakeUpPeople

Southbury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#24
Dec 26, 2008
 

Judged:

1

Nikki Patin wrote:
I think you're all deluded. As a mixed-race, Black-identified person who grew up in the South Suburbs BEFORE White flight, I can tell you that it was NOT a nice place to live. I got called the n-word to my face, Aunt Jemima and then got punished for getting upset at being called these slurs while in a public institution of learning. Our family friends, also Black, who lived in South Holland got crosses burned on their lawn and petitions passed to get them to move out. The high school in Lansing, IL, had a Confederate flag for their high school flag until 1993. My family still lives in the same area and I still feel just as uncomfortable because the hostility from most Whites in Chicago (and the surrounding suburbs) has been and still is palpable. I can see it, I can feel it and I hate it. There's nothing civilized, nice or quality about unmitigated hatred. I was an honors student who never had a detention and followed all the rules, only to be ignored by ignorant teachers and harassed by ignorant peers. I've traveled a lot and Chicago is way more uptight about race than NYC, LA, SF, Miami, even Nashville and Atlanta. Sigh. I was born and raised in this city and have lived everywhere, on every side...even the much fabled, but definitely real, East side, where all the ghosts of the steel mills rest. What I hate the most is feeling like I'm a stranger/outsider to the city that gave birth to me, my Mother and my Father. I love Chicago, but I don't think it feels the same way about me.:{
What is the solution?
Mervin

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25
Dec 26, 2008
 

Judged:

1

The posts here are more depressing that the story itself.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 90
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

27 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
The Founding Fathers Fought the Revolutionary W... 2 min Washingtons Blog 1
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Patrick 1,095,071
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 42 min edogxxx 97,728
Abby 8-20 44 min edogxxx 1
Amy 8-20 47 min edogxxx 1
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr wojar 176,652
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr JOEL 68,833
•••
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••