Red-light cameras: Carol Stream polic...

Red-light cameras: Carol Stream police officer joined Redflex c...

There are 179 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jul 14, 2009, titled Red-light cameras: Carol Stream police officer joined Redflex c.... In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

After Carol Stream Police Chief Rick Willing recommended his town hire Redflex Traffic Systems, village officials approved a contract with the Arizona-based red-light camera vendor in December 2007.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

Mike

Orlando, FL

#44 Jul 15, 2009
I used to live in Carol Stream. Nice little town. Nice people. Winters are harsh in Illinois. But Give me a break! People are really going to compare the Administrators of Village of Carol Stream to Cook County government. Obviously these posters have no idea what they are talking about.
LMS

United States

#45 Jul 15, 2009
I have lived in Carol Stream most of my life and I have never seen anything like the way the police behave. Carol Stream has a HUGE drug problem, but instead they are more concerned about catching the speeders. My kid actually moved out of Carol Stream because of the drug dealing going on. Why don't they take care of that instead. Carol Stream has become a sad place to live!
Ski

Wheaton, IL

#46 Jul 15, 2009
Upset Daughter wrote:
Please post you support for my father. Anyone that knows him knows that he is the most ethical person. This article was done in poor taste and without any type of proof.
I challenge this reporter to look deeper into the service of this man and the time that he spent in Carol Stream, talk to him about what he was involved in, his volunteering, talk to his officers and co-workers, talk to all of the people that he helped, then see if you would be able to write this article again.
Please post you support
I'd like to be the first one to kick him in the you-know-what! All his 'good deeds' don't mean squat for a corrupt cop!
Jon

Aurora, IL

#47 Jul 15, 2009
Did anyone mention that these cameras are ILLEGAL under the constitution? Yeah that right look into it states like Indiana and a few others had these things installed and were forced to remove them under the law. Thats 100% saying that they are revenue machine as their very operation is illegal....
Upset Daughter

Chicago, IL

#48 Jul 15, 2009
Interested Observer wrote:
Another Illinois cop on the take - what a surprise.
I wish you knew my father and what he did for the community and how much he loved that position and the town before you say he was on the take. He is a very ethical person and did his job with the utmost professional demeanor. He was an amazing cop with 25+ years of service and recieved national and community awards. He was a great cop who dedicated his life to the protection of that community.
Upset Daughter

Chicago, IL

#49 Jul 15, 2009
Ski wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd like to be the first one to kick him in the you-know-what! All his 'good deeds' don't mean squat for a corrupt cop!
Shame on you.
Upset Daughter

Chicago, IL

#50 Jul 15, 2009
Ski wrote:
<quoted text>
And yes good-deeds do count. This article is suggesting something about his character. I'm telling you about his character. He is an amazing father and man, I can only hope that I can follow and live my life the way he does.
ClassOf01

Plainfield, IL

#51 Jul 15, 2009
Ski wrote:
<quoted text>
Chief Willing has, for many years, been an honorable, respectable law enforcement expert in Carol Stream. The very idea that his current employment was in any way affected by a past recommendation cannot be anything but false. Upset Daughter has every right to be infuriated at this article, and I support her wholeheartedly in her challenge for truth, and "honesty" from Chicago media.
Jay Stream

Naperville, IL

#52 Jul 15, 2009
Carol's town doesn't have a police force, they are all Nazi SS. They sit on lawn chairs with radar guns in the median on the North Avenue gauntlet. They hide behind walls, behind buildings and in the grass. They will chase at high speeds to West Chicago and Lombard to fill their quota and grease their greedy chief.

We used to have an honest department with cops like Warren Vacha and Joe Aschin. No more. Carol's town can't even field one officer in the Illinois Tactical Officers Association. Too busy with the radar gun. That's okay, DuPage Sheriffs or a surrounding police force will bail us out from a barricaded gunman or homicide bomber. The pathetic CSPD will still be writing "checks for the chief" on North Ave.
TDP

United States

#53 Jul 15, 2009
There needs to be an investigation into this. What a load. I just took the poll about safety vs. revenue for these cameras, and 5.5% of some mindless people actually believe these cameras were installed for safety reasons.
Another CS opinion

Carol Stream, IL

#54 Jul 15, 2009
Most of these posts, Mike, are probably from people who probably believe in the United States Constitution. Have you ever studied this document? These are not given for safety, the villages are using them to reach into the wallets of citizens for free cash.
TDP

United States

#55 Jul 15, 2009
Upset Daughter wrote:
<quoted text>
I wish you knew my father and what he did for the community and how much he loved that position and the town before you say he was on the take. He is a very ethical person and did his job with the utmost professional demeanor. He was an amazing cop with 25+ years of service and recieved national and community awards. He was a great cop who dedicated his life to the protection of that community.
You can defend the man all you want. But it is very unethical for a person to push a vendor onto a governemtn then go work for him. In my company if this happened I would initiate an immeadiate investigation for conflict of interest.
Proud resident

Wheaton, IL

#57 Jul 15, 2009
It seems like all the comments left are in spite of the red light cameras and tickets recieved. If you never broke the law, you would have no cause for concern. As for the real fact at hand. Red light companys prefer hiring retired police officers, and to say retired Chief Willing was hired on because of the cameras installed in Carol Stream is completly rediculous! There are THOUSANDS of these cameras nation wide. Why would four small revenue cameras make you eligable for a full time position?! It wouldn't. His immaculent reputation shouldn't hold an asteric just because someone was fishing for a story. Retired Chief Willing is a commendable person to the force and to the community.
Upset Daughter

Chicago, IL

#58 Jul 15, 2009
TDP wrote:
<quoted text>
You can defend the man all you want. But it is very unethical for a person to push a vendor onto a governemtn then go work for him. In my company if this happened I would initiate an immeadiate investigation for conflict of interest.
He never pushed a vendor. There was an analysis done and the Village Board decided on the company. Read the article ...."Village trustees said their decision to hire Redflex was based less on Willing's recommendation and more on the fact that installing Redflex cameras did not require any upfront costs from the village."

No push...
Impeach Obama

Mooseheart, IL

#59 Jul 15, 2009
Mike wrote
"Does anyone ever think of the fact that is AGAINST THE LAW TO RUN A RED LIGHT."
I guess that he's been fooled too!
Upset Daughter

Chicago, IL

#60 Jul 15, 2009
i received this from the author of the article. I wrote to him expressing my concern about this.

Ms. Willing,

As requested, I have forwarded your email to my supervisor, Susan Keaton, whom Iíve copied on this message. I have no doubts about your fatherís compassion and many accomplishments. I think you should know that we received a couple of anonymous emails saying people in Carol Stream were outraged over this. However, I would also point out that my reporting revealed that while it might look a little funny, there is no evidence to support allegations that he did anything improper.

Hm...even the author of this article said that there is no evidence to support allegations that he did anything improper.
hispanic voice

Downers Grove, IL

#61 Jul 15, 2009
What a great way to thank a man that spent years protecting keeping us safe. I don't know one retired man that doesn't go back to some sort work, most of them use old business contacts to get job (not unlike the rest of us). This article was the biggest waste of time in this mornings paper. I should have skipped this and went straight for the article on New takes on deviled eggs.
Serpico

Bronschhofen, Switzerland

#62 Jul 15, 2009
Obviously something like this should be investigated. Some may say "business as usual" and some may say "who cares, the man is retired." The fact is that on the surface, to the citizens of Carol Stream, this appears to be a potentially corrupt deal done in plain sight. Without examining this situation closer, we can't truly know if it was and, if it was in fact not on the up and up, provide the safeguards for future acts of the like. When did RedFlex become involved in these dealings, what was their offer compared to the other companies (I'd like to know more than just what Chief Willing had to offer on the economic benefits to this village), and how soon after he retired did he begin working for RedFlex? These are important investigative questions that today's internet-only media hounds never get the answers to anymore. How unfortunate.
hispanic voice

Downers Grove, IL

#63 Jul 15, 2009
TDP wrote:
There needs to be an investigation into this. What a load. I just took the poll about safety vs. revenue for these cameras, and 5.5% of some mindless people actually believe these cameras were installed for safety reasons.
I disagree with the use of the cameras but this story is not about the system or how the government sells us on "safety" when implanting tracking chips in your state ID/Drivers license and cameras that watch your every move.
The story is about a man and his ethical practices in a situation where both the former and current employer state there is no wrong doing on MR. Willing's part.
Carol Stream Homeowner

Itasca, IL

#64 Jul 15, 2009
Reporters will slander anyone for a story. First off, despite Willing's current affiliation with the company, did anyone consider the fact that we need these cameras in place? Has anyone accredited the man, or thanked him for the role he played, not only in our community, but in possibly saving lives & preventing accidents as a result of the monitered traffic? I'll bet the tone would change quickly for many if any of your children or family were on the reverse side of an accident as a result of the red lights run. If you take a look at the history of car accidents taking place in said locations, you'll see there was a need for these cameras. Whether or not he became affiliated with the company at a later point, these cameras are needed, and I for one thank him for helping make our community safer. Secondly, like many above said, stop at stop lights and you won't have an issue. It's the law, like it or not, and as a law enforcer, Mr. Willing was doing his due diligence in enforcing it. It's common sense. For most anyway.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min Julia 1,641,820
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 40 min hfcv 64,119
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 4 hr heiscommunist 243,000
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 4 hr RACE 11,535
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 4 hr RACE 3,739
Trickle Down and Tax returns 6 hr H R Bloke 1
Blue State in HUGE trouble sez George Will 12 hr Amazing Skulduggery 3

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages