Red-light cameras: Carol Stream police officer joined Redflex c...

Full story: Chicago Tribune

After Carol Stream Police Chief Rick Willing recommended his town hire Redflex Traffic Systems, village officials approved a contract with the Arizona-based red-light camera vendor in December 2007.
Comments
21 - 40 of 178 Comments Last updated Jul 22, 2013
Ham and Egger

Palos Hills, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

And the wheels on the bus go 'round and 'round!(while they get greased)
Still reading the Trib

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

Judged:

Impeach Obama wrote:
There is a law that says that you must stop at an intersection for a red light before the white line and stay there until the light changes to green. If you are turning right on red, you must still come to a COMPLETE stop before the white line before turning right while proceeding with caution. This is for your safety and the safety of others around the intersection. If you disobey the rule and if there is an electronic device that captures your actions, then you should recieve a ticket. Maybe $100 is too much, but you should still be ticketed. Because of those red light cameras, I am more carefull around intersections and know that I won't be ticketed because i follow those simple rules.
Let the slamming begin.
Fool. One day you will wake up in a police state run for profit by private companies. Cameras will be everywhere, watching your every move. You will have no rights or liberties and you will wonder how it happened, right under your nose.

Wait, it IS happening, RIGHT NOW, right under your nose. And you have allowed yourself to be FOOLED into believing that it is for your own good.

WAKE UP!
Break the Unions

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

This is just classic. Any time you see local politicians all piling into the same 'popular' project or idea, you know it's a scam. These red light cameras were a scam from day one, and it's nice to see that fact come to the light of day finally. It was never, ever, ever about safety. It was able generating senseless dollars for cities and lining the pockets of those officials in charge of signing these contracts.
Taxpayer

South Elgin, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

Does anyone know if the Red Light company reviewing these videos has access to the unlisted type of license plates? I believe the clout-heavy people in the state do not have their plates in the normal database as you and I do. What happens when these people trip a red light camera? My initial assumption is that they get a free pass. Who's campaign do I have to contribute to get my plates unlisted like this? Does anyone know more about how these unlisted plates work and how they would work with red light cameras?
frank thomas

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

It is "pay to play", retired police officers are not civil engineers.
Interested Observer

Highland Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

Another Illinois cop on the take - what a surprise.
Cicero

Arlington Heights, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

The camera company spokeswoman states she does not know when her company started to recruit the Chief, but she's absolutely certain it wasn't until after he had recommended her company. Excuse me, but how can she be certain if she doesn't know when it began??
Dave

Hoffman Estates, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

Pay to play? of course not, just a coincidence. Move along folks, nothing to see here. This is just the way Illinois works!
Berry

Girard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

Good article. The good people of Carol Stream know what they need to do. Remember, Republican or Democrat, we owe no allegiance to any one party that uses these measures to raise money. It's legalized extortion...We all know that.
Ski

Villa Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

Just goes to show Willing was 'on the take'. There are lots of ways to be a bad cop. this is one of them!
Robbie

Aurora, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

Carol Stream PIGS are always on the look out to give you a traffic ticket,avoid that town,there are herds of them hiding on North Ave just to catch you speeding.
They use civilian cars parked in the ditch with cops laying inside and clocking you,then he radios ahead and one of the many patrol cars will pick you up and ticket you.
CAROL STREAM SUCKS !!!!

BTW,I've never got a ticket from them but I drive through everyday and it sickens me to see what they are doing.
DC Chicago

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

Classic 'money grab' situation ,which is what this state , counties and cities are all about around here .Many ex-politicians are involved with this company getting rich"again",really not much you can do other than get out your credit card and pay the 103.50 grit your teeth and go on to the next time you have to pay-up...I just put my payment online, on to the next time!!!
Lloyd Church

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

Redflex is an Australian company.
Village Manager Joe Breinig's favorite restaurant is Outback Steakhouse and his favorite movie is Crocodile Dundee. Coincidence? I think not!!!!
Johan

Westmont, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

I'm upset with the Village Board; they're supposed to be our watchdogs. The problem began with Willing, but it could've been stopped by our Village Fathers and Mothers. They need to be replaced. A "blind eye" is not what this village needs.
Harley

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

I belive if you cheeck who sold Lombard there camera you will find it is a former Lombard Cop. It's all about the MONEY not saftey
Upset Daughter

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

Please post you support for my father. Anyone that knows him knows that he is the most ethical person. This article was done in poor taste and without any type of proof.

I challenge this reporter to look deeper into the service of this man and the time that he spent in Carol Stream, talk to him about what he was involved in, his volunteering, talk to his officers and co-workers, talk to all of the people that he helped, then see if you would be able to write this article again.

Please post you support
Nick Nickels

Evanston, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

slamdunc wrote:
Former vice-president Dick Cheney recommended Halliburton (Brown & Root) to the Joint Chiefs and the Pentagon. He retired from his position, and became the CEO of Halliburton (with a $6,000,000 annual salary).
This happens all the time.
Dick Cheney was CEO of Haliburton *BEFORE* he was vice president so your example is completely meaningless in this context.
Another CS opinion

Carol Stream, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

I was just thinking about all the places I no longer shop in Carol Stream because of the war/police zone I have to pass through in order to get there in a timely matter. It is not that I speed or go through red lights; it is just that the total over overkill of our department and these new intrusions make it so unpleasant. I don't ever go to Fannie May, have friends stay at the Hamptom in or Holiday Inn, go to White Castle or Brunswick Zone (certainly will never host a party there for young children, and any businesses or restaurants on Schmale. Mr. Gieser loves promoting Culvers. Sorry, Culvers, we find plenty of other places for ice cream, all because of our miserable police state. Maybe instead of free ice cream cones, you should offer "get out of jail free" cards.
Kim

Maineville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

Mr. Willing is one of the most honest and ethical men I have had the pleasure of meeting. I think that even second guessing his motives for creating a safe and secure environment for the people of Carol Stream is ridiculous. With his personality and professional demeanor, it is a wonder that he hasn't been scooped up by another great company such as this sooner. Heaven forbid the man make a sound decision for Carol Stream residents, realize what a great impact this company makes on communities as a whole and desire to be a part of it. There is no question in my mind that any decision Mr. Willing made during his time as police chief were made with the highest of moral convictions.
Mike

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

Does anyone ever think of the fact that is AGAINST THE LAW TO RUN A RED LIGHT. Just because no one sees it does not amke it illegal. Also, is it so hard to believe that the Village really had no idea that Willing was going tp work for RedFlex. Most of these posts are priobabaly from people who were in violation. While I understand the frustration, especially in todays economy, the penalty is till much less severe than if you were given a ticket by a cop and had to go to court. It muat be another slow news day for the Sun Times!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Grey Ghost 1,095,885
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 10 min Michael 97,805
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 12 min Jacques from Ottawa 176,776
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 15 min bushi 49,259
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 22 min andet1987 555
Word (Dec '08) 26 min andet1987 4,630
Four letter word game (Dec '11) 28 min andet1987 1,242

Search the Chicago Forum:
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE