“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#41 Mar 27, 2013
I have not seen it either, but from what i have read here, where a girl is all upset over the baby shower being about the "BABY" and not her, I am inclined to think that the show does not portray an accurate example of what teen pregnancy is all about.

So to me that is typical hype to sell commercial seconds, not a PSA.
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Does the show Hoarders glorify hoarding and living in filth? I've never seen the 16 prego show, but if its anything like Hoarders, its more like being entertained by watching the train wreck. You watch and feel good about your life cause that shiatt ain't happening to you. I can't consider that to be "glorifying".

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#42 Mar 27, 2013
RACE wrote:
I have not seen it either, but from what i have read here, where a girl is all upset over the baby shower being about the "BABY" and not her, I am inclined to think that the show does not portray an accurate example of what teen pregnancy is all about.
So to me that is typical hype to sell commercial seconds, not a PSA.
<quoted text>
I never said it was a PSA. Its commercial entertainment for sure, but I just don't see it as "glorifying".

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#43 Mar 28, 2013
You see teen pregnancy being commercialized for entertainment, but dont see it as being glorified? To me their one in the same.
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>I never said it was a PSA. Its commercial entertainment for sure, but I just don't see it as "glorifying".

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#44 Mar 28, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
You have said yourself that you are opposed to abstinence being taught in sex ed.
Actually, I haven't said that, but thanks for playing. I am opposed to ABSTINENCE ONLY sex ed. You know, the sex ed that doesn't teach kids about birth control, etc.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#45 Mar 28, 2013
RACE wrote:
isnt there a show 16 and preggers? If that aint glorification of teen pregnancy, I dont know what is.
<quoted text>
I've never seen it (no cable TV), but from what I"ve heard from friends who do watch it, the show has been given some credit for making teen viewers see the downsides to getting pregnant when you're too young and still dependent on your parents, thus avoiding teen pregnancies.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#46 Mar 28, 2013
RACE wrote:
You see teen pregnancy being commercialized for entertainment, but dont see it as being glorified? To me their one in the same.
<quoted text>
Maybe we just don't have the same definition of glorify.

GLORIFY
a : to make glorious by bestowing honor, praise, or admiration

I don't see that as equivalent to "being commercialized for entertainment"

Who is bestowing honor, praise, or admiration on these train wreck stories?

Again, I reference the show Hoarders. Do you think that show is glorifying hoarders living in filth? I's certainly being commercialized for entertainment.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#47 Mar 28, 2013
You're right we dont have the same definition.
To me, when you get sponsors to pay for advertising, then whatever it is, is being glorified (commercialized). When that happens then some people will try to emulate that behavior (yes, even hoarding). Its called being a copy cat, and it is done with every show, and the main reason sponsors pay to advertise

James Dean, looking cool with a smoke?
The Fonz
NASCAR

The only reason they pay is because people watch, and some of those watching want to emulate what they see, and if they dont see the full spectrum of what it means to be preggers, but only see the showers, shopping, cute clothes etc, then they are glorifying what pregnancy actually is. Do they show Morning sickness, peeing every 30 minutes, the hormonal changes, stretch marks, weight gain? Yanno all the crappy stuff that happens.
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe we just don't have the same definition of glorify.
GLORIFY
a : to make glorious by bestowing honor, praise, or admiration
I don't see that as equivalent to "being commercialized for entertainment"
Who is bestowing honor, praise, or admiration on these train wreck stories?
Again, I reference the show Hoarders. Do you think that show is glorifying hoarders living in filth? I's certainly being commercialized for entertainment.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

#48 Mar 28, 2013
Toj wrote:
Less teen pregnancies are a good thing I would think. You don't think so?
For the 847th time, I will not defend an argument I never made! Race is on to something, you only read what you want into posts and ignore what people actually say.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#49 Mar 28, 2013
RACE wrote:
You insist upon reading what you want and ignoring what i write. go back and read what i wrote and then explain this sensless ramble you posted.
Seriously, you do not read.
<quoted text>
Perhaps clarity is lacking in your writing.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#50 Mar 28, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
For the 847th time, I will not defend an argument I never made! Race is on to something, you only read what you want into posts and ignore what people actually say.
That's what drives me nuts. If there's a question you don't want to answer, well hell you didn't bring it up in YOUR post.

It's a question Edog. AN ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS.

Sheesh.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

#51 Mar 28, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what drives me nuts. If there's a question you don't want to answer, well hell you didn't bring it up in YOUR post.
It's a question Edog. AN ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS.
Sheesh.
Yes, Toj! I think less teen pregnancies are a good thing! Happy now?

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#52 Mar 28, 2013
Kuuipo wrote:
People need to learn to talk to their children and teens.
I replied...
If that happened, we would not need free comdoms or sex ed to begin with. Gee, what a concept.
**********
I wrote two frigging sentences, I said that if parents spoke with their kids about sex, we would not need to waste tax dollars on sex ed. All pretty straight forward stuff aint it?
But you went off on a 2 paragraph rant disputing something I never said.
So, no, I dont think my writing lacks clarity, I think your reading comprehensions does.
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps clarity is lacking in your writing.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#53 Mar 28, 2013
RACE wrote:
You insist upon reading what you want and ignoring what i write. go back and read what i wrote and then explain this sensless ramble you posted.
Seriously, you do not read.
<quoted text>
Okay -- genius (hahahahaha)-- tell me where I read incorrectly. I need your great wisdom o' king of beers.

This is the post I was responding to. It was an exchange between you and Kuuipo:

RACE wrote: If that happened, we would not need free comdoms or sex ed to begin with. Gee, what a concept.
Kuuipo wrote:
People need to learn to talk to their children and teens.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#54 Mar 28, 2013
RACE wrote:
You're right we dont have the same definition.
To me, when you get sponsors to pay for advertising, then whatever it is, is being glorified (commercialized). When that happens then some people will try to emulate that behavior (yes, even hoarding). Its called being a copy cat, and it is done with every show, and the main reason sponsors pay to advertise
James Dean, looking cool with a smoke?
The Fonz
NASCAR
The only reason they pay is because people watch, and some of those watching want to emulate what they see, and if they dont see the full spectrum of what it means to be preggers, but only see the showers, shopping, cute clothes etc, then they are glorifying what pregnancy actually is. Do they show Morning sickness, peeing every 30 minutes, the hormonal changes, stretch marks, weight gain? Yanno all the crappy stuff that happens.
<quoted text>
Taking that logic and applying it further, does this mean movies and TV shows are to blame for a lot of the violence in the world?

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#55 Mar 28, 2013
RACE wrote:
Kuuipo wrote:
People need to learn to talk to their children and teens.
I replied...
If that happened, we would not need free comdoms or sex ed to begin with. Gee, what a concept.
**********
I wrote two frigging sentences, I said that if parents spoke with their kids about sex, we would not need to waste tax dollars on sex ed. All pretty straight forward stuff aint it?
But you went off on a 2 paragraph rant disputing something I never said.
So, no, I dont think my writing lacks clarity, I think your reading comprehensions does.
<quoted text>
I see now why Sam hates you. There was no rant. Discussion, question, and opinion. Sorry it was too much for you:

"That's where you're wrong. Not everyone speaks to their children in a way to give them the information and lessons they need.

You didn't say this, but would you rather have condoms not available to sexually active teens? Sex education is more than put your appendange in the women's vayjay. I think it's an excellent thing together with a parent's information to their children. Do you not believe that? More information cannot be bad. Or perhaps you think it is?"

I was giving the OPINION that it would be a good thing to sex education AND parents talking to their kids.

Or didn't you get that? Can't you take more than one sentence or other having an opinion that may differ from you? Your head must explode on a big Sub posting day.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#56 Mar 28, 2013
I wont say a lot or even in the world, since I have no clue what the rest of the world watches. But I do believe violent games and shows desensitize us to violence, which is a bad thing.
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Taking that logic and applying it further, does this mean movies and TV shows are to blame for a lot of the violence in the world?

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#57 Mar 28, 2013
You are so dense! What am I wrong about????

I did NOT say ALL parents do talk to their kids, I said IF!!!
get it? IF!
IF parents did that then....

And the rest of your post is you trying to support your position that I am wrong, which is totally stupid since I am not wrong!!!

SHEESH, now I know why you and sam get along, between the two of you it comes up to 1/2 a brain.

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
I see now why Sam hates you. There was no rant. Discussion, question, and opinion. Sorry it was too much for you:
"That's where you're wrong. Not everyone speaks to their children in a way to give them the information and lessons they need.
You didn't say this, but would you rather have condoms not available to sexually active teens? Sex education is more than put your appendange in the women's vayjay. I think it's an excellent thing together with a parent's information to their children. Do you not believe that? More information cannot be bad. Or perhaps you think it is?"
I was giving the OPINION that it would be a good thing to sex education AND parents talking to their kids.
Or didn't you get that? Can't you take more than one sentence or other having an opinion that may differ from you? Your head must explode on a big Sub posting day.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#58 Mar 28, 2013
RACE wrote:
You are so dense! What am I wrong about????
I did NOT say ALL parents do talk to their kids, I said IF!!!
get it? IF!
IF parents did that then....
And the rest of your post is you trying to support your position that I am wrong, which is totally stupid since I am not wrong!!!
SHEESH, now I know why you and sam get along, between the two of you it comes up to 1/2 a brain.
<quoted text>
No, the rest of my post does not suipport why you are wrong. The rest of the post states my opinion.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#59 Mar 28, 2013
What did I say that was wrong
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
No, the rest of my post does not suipport why you are wrong. The rest of the post states my opinion.

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Since: Feb 13

Chicago, IL

#60 Mar 28, 2013
RACE wrote:
isnt there a show 16 and preggers? If that aint glorification of teen pregnancy, I dont know what is.
<quoted text>
Glorification? Really? I am amazed at your willingness to comment on something you know nothing about. If you'd ever actually watched the show, you'd know there is no "glorification" whatsoever.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 7 min Cheftell 70,707
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 10 min Nuculur option 1,394,681
News Chicago Reacts to Orlando Shooting 19 min Fa-Foxy 8
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 23 min CrunchyBacon 102,447
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 53 min Rogue Scholar 05 216,536
last post wins! (Apr '13) 1 hr Retired SOF 1,106
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 3 hr -This IS Too Easy 60,024
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages