First Prev
of 3
Next Last
dahgts

Chicago Heights, IL

#41 Nov 13, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay. I understand. It's the thinking of: I can't be out of money, I still have checks left in my checkbook!
:D
Before online banking I would write a check and round up the amount in the register and for a deposit I would round down. never balanced the ckbook and never bounced, I seemed to be able to keep a balance in my head. Now I carry a check in my wallet for the Italian deli in town that doesn't take plastic. my job was in accounting.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#42 Nov 13, 2013
RACE wrote:
Oh, sure! I dial in once a month and get my balance. I also get a paper statement with all my transactions and checks that I could also use to get help me, but its just easiest to get the starting number every month. I dont like bill paying or check book balancing. Every woman I have lived with has been in charge of all that. Since I have been living alone, I just try to keep a surplus in my accounts and not even bother with tracking them at all.
<quoted text>
That would drive me nuts. Keep a surplus? I want to know, to the penny, what should be in my account. Before we were married my wife had a second job rhat would pay here aroind $100 a check. But not exactly. She woukd enter $100 onto her checkbook, but never go back and correct it when it was $98 or $104. She just figured, its close enough. Fluck that. No way in hell she's ever taking care of our finances.

And to your earlier point about the "bonehead" sitting on your check, that's me. Once you give me the check, my position is that you have the money to cover the check regardless of when O deposit it. Its not a high priority for me to deposit it righr now. I'm not hurting for cash. I'll deposit it when i get around to it.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#43 Nov 13, 2013
because I dont want my info on the inet. Not afraid of the aliens taking it (their richer anyway), but if any one of those businesses you pay gets hacked, your info is exposed and free for the taking.
Your bank may not get hacked, but your gym may very well be.

Think about it.
pde wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why are you doing anything with checks anymore?

Neda, stay with me!

#44 Nov 13, 2013
Just the image, as long as I dont get double billed next month, then its all good.
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Do you get your actual cancelled checks back or just an image of them?

Neda, stay with me!

#45 Nov 13, 2013
Why? What do you do with that knowledge? Have you ever had a discrepency between what you thought and what the bank said? Has it ever been an error in your favor?

Not for me either, thats why I quit stressing it.
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>That would drive me nuts. Keep a surplus? I want to know, to the penny, what should be in my account.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#46 Nov 13, 2013
RACE wrote:
because I dont want my info on the inet. Not afraid of the aliens taking it (their richer anyway), but if any one of those businesses you pay gets hacked, your info is exposed and free for the taking.
Think about it.
<quoted text>
Yep. That's what I used to worry about. But then I noticed the bank knew -- they just know -- when something is paid that's not quite right and they call me. Also, when someone stole my debit card the bank called me and asked if I had it. I said yes. They said they didn't think so and to actually pull it out of my purse. Heh. They were right! Someone did steal it. They also spent some of my money. The bank put it all right back. Cool!

Now I don't stress about that. There's fraud protection at banks. I suppose some banks don't service as well as others. For all of the damn fees they charge, at least I'm grateful my bank has my back.
pde

Homer Glen, IL

#47 Nov 13, 2013
RACE wrote:
Think about it.
<quoted text>
That's why my gym (and everyone else) has a secure one-business-use number (Discover card) that only that business can use to charge to my credit card. If it's stolen, it's useless to anyone else.

The only thing debiting against my bank is the credit card itself once a month.
pde

Homer Glen, IL

#48 Nov 13, 2013
RACE wrote:
Think about it.
<quoted text>
I'm also still not sure what info you think could be getting exposed here anyhow.

The flow I'm describing:
Vendors -> credit card -> checking.

If vendors are hacked, someone gets my credit card number (and if it wasn't a secure one business number) they charge weird stuff to my card and my credit card flags fraud and it gets shut down. That's actually as much of a risk in real life nowadays--both I and the husband have had cards skimmed, probably at restaurants, in the past two years. That's also why I know it takes Discover and AmEx about two weird transactions to flag fraud and freeze the credit account.

My banking info isn't exposed on Discover's site for their direct debit. Once I set it up, all they show me on the screen is the bank name and last 4 numbers of the account. Yeah, I'm aware the full information is stored internally somewhere, but it's exactly the same information that is printed on ANY check I give to anyone (account + routing number). Once again, there's equal or greater risk in real life--anyone I give a paper check to has the same info Discover has for the direct debit.

Neda, stay with me!

#49 Nov 13, 2013
I'd rather spend the cost of a stamp then the cost of my aggravation.

Neda, stay with me!

#50 Nov 13, 2013
So, when Discover, Chase, Amex...etc. spend all that money telling you how you wont be charged when your info is stolen, what they are really saying is that credit fraud and online hacking is prevalent and they cant really secure your information at all. The best they can do is try to make it up to you after the fact.

pde wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm also still not sure what info you think could be getting exposed here anyhow.
The flow I'm describing:
Vendors -> credit card -> checking.
If vendors are hacked, someone gets my credit card number (and if it wasn't a secure one business number) they charge weird stuff to my card and my credit card flags fraud and it gets shut down. That's actually as much of a risk in real life nowadays--both I and the husband have had cards skimmed, probably at restaurants, in the past two years. That's also why I know it takes Discover and AmEx about two weird transactions to flag fraud and freeze the credit account.
My banking info isn't exposed on Discover's site for their direct debit. Once I set it up, all they show me on the screen is the bank name and last 4 numbers of the account. Yeah, I'm aware the full information is stored internally somewhere, but it's exactly the same information that is printed on ANY check I give to anyone (account + routing number). Once again, there's equal or greater risk in real life--anyone I give a paper check to has the same info Discover has for the direct debit.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Des Plaines, IL

#51 Nov 13, 2013
RACE wrote:
So, when Discover, Chase, Amex...etc. spend all that money telling you how you wont be charged when your info is stolen, what they are really saying is that credit fraud and online hacking is prevalent and they cant really secure your information at all. The best they can do is try to make it up to you after the fact.
<quoted text>
i've never had my info stolen or compromised... my mom is more paranoid about using an ATM than she is about charging stuff online, and she does that with a separate card that is only for on-line transactions. she's never had her info compromised either. hubby has had his AmEx phished, but AmEx has shut that down right quick. he likes their customer service.

I only charge on-line with reputable companies, and make damnwellsure their servers are secured (https//www....). i push most of my bills (i.e., use the chase bill pay) to my vendors instead of setting up automatic withdrawal on the vendor's site, the exceptions being credit cards, because i figure taht's another bank wiht highly vested interest in security.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#52 Nov 13, 2013
1: Beauty school stat!

2: Money order, all the way.
Amscot money orders are all free. Is that not a national store?

My cousin did this when we were paying her back for borrowing some for my bro's bed.
I sent checks faithfully from his account until she lost one. Told me to just cancel it from the bank. Why should my bro's money pay for her error?
Money orders from that point on--you lose it, your problem.
pde

Davis Junction, IL

#53 Nov 13, 2013
RACE wrote:
<quoted text>
Discover, Chase, Amex, etc AREN'T the ones responsible when your credit card number is stolen. Whatever merchant your number is stolen from is the one responsible. Credit card number theft has been an issue since before the Internet and online banking or shopping ever existed.

And yes, Discover does offer me an additional layer of protection. They offer me the ability to generate a number which can be used by only one merchant, and becomes totally useless if stolen. That's how I know that the last time my card number was stolen, it happened somewhere in the real world, not online. I don't use my primary number online.

Your banking info can be as EASILY stolen if you're writing paper checks. And yes, I know of people whose banking info has been stolen from paper checks and fraudulent EFTs set up against their checking accounts. It's a growing problem and because there's a lot less fraud auditing going on against EFTs, can go on for a lot longer than you'd think.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#54 Nov 13, 2013
RACE wrote:
Don't do online banking, ain't gonna save that stamp.
<quoted text>
We WILL pull you into the 20th century. Resistance is futile.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#55 Nov 13, 2013
cheluzal wrote:
Nope.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#56 Nov 13, 2013
cheluzal wrote:
1: Beauty school stat!
2: Money order, all the way.
Amscot money orders are all free. Is that not a national store?
Ooops….

Nope.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min PDUPONT 1,100,232
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 15 min wojar 177,388
Video Will The U.S Lead The World Into Nuclear ... 22 min Hell Yes 1
Diversity is a codeword for white genocide 1 hr 587uioy 1
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 2 hr J RULES 68,991
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr Brian_G 46,316
Music Artists A to Z (Feb '14) 3 hr SLY WEST 299
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 3 hr edogxxx 97,934
•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••