Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

DEAR ABBY: I'm a 43-year-old single mom with three young boys. I am also a veteran and getting ready to go back to school. I have been dating a gentleman for two months now, and we get along great. He's three years older than I am and good with my kids and family.

I like him a lot and we seem to have a lot in common -- more than most. I really want him to kiss me, but I don't want to seem pushy. He's a real gentleman. We have gone from hugs to holding hands while sitting on the couch watching television. I don't mind taking things slow, but ...

How do I find out if he wants to kiss me or not? Sometimes it seems like it, but then he seems afraid to. How do I let him know it's OK? Sorry I seem like a teenager.-- CONFUSED IN IDAHO

DEAR CONFUSED: This man isn't taking things slow. Glaciers have been known to move faster. Two months is a very long time to wait for a first kiss.

The next time you find yourself sitting on the couch and holding hands with him, you have my permission to turn to him and say, "I'd love it if you kissed me." If that doesn't do the trick, then face it -- his feelings for you are only brotherly.

DEAR ABBY: You have written about children in grocery stores before. Would you please address the risk to children by allowing them to stand in grocery shopping carts? I see it all too often, and I don't think the parents/grandparents realize that if the child falls out and lands on his or her head, neck or back, the child could end up paralyzed or dead. The adult must be the rule setter and protect the child. But too often it's the child setting the limits, and the results can be tragic.-- CONCERNED SHOPPER IN NEW YORK

DEAR CONCERNED SHOPPER: I'm glad to oblige. Many markets equip their shopping carts with seat belts to secure tiny passengers and avoid this problem. That way, any liability that might stem from a child falling would lie directly where it belongs, with the adult who should have been using common sense.

DEAR ABBY: My oldest friend owes me a lot of money. I loaned it to her when she was being evicted. She has now come into some money and is going on a cruise.

I asked her to repay me before the trip. She said she "needs the cruise for her mental health." I am shocked and very angry. When I lost my temper and told her off, she accused me of being "greedy and money-obsessed."

Abby, I helped her when she needed it! What should I do?-- FURIOUS IN SAN FRANCISCO

DEAR FURIOUS: When your "friend" returns from her sea cruise, see if you can get her to agree to a repayment plan for the sake of your mental -- and financial -- health. However, if she refuses, you may have to write off the loan as tuition in the school of experience. Your mistake was not getting the terms of the loan in writing.

DEAR ABBY: I have two sons who will graduate from college on the same day. My wife and I would like to attend both ceremonies, but for obvious reasons, we cannot. How do I resolve this dilemma?-- FATHER IN TEXAS

DEAR FATHER: Divide and conquer. You attend one graduation and your wife the other. To decide which one, you and the Mrs. should draw straws.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

L1: Wait,what? You've been dating him for TWO MONTHS and he already met your kids and hangs out with your family? And he doesn't seem interested in kissing you? It's possible that he's a child predatory -- they will seek out single moms who have kids of the right gender/age.

L2: Oh please.

L3: SHE is the one who is greedy and money obsessed. Kiss the money good bye and your friend. If you have any proof that she owes you this money (emails? voice mails?) take the B to small claims court.

L4: The answer is so obvious that I can't understand how you produced two children capable of graduating from college.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

LW1: Uhhh, how bout you just plant one on him? Why do you need him to make the first move? At this point, its obvious he's not going to.

LW3: Your friend is a cnut.

LW4: You should both go to the ceremony of the child you love more.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

1 Closet gay, or he is terrified you will pull some marine combat crap and break his frikking neck.

2 Yet another example of how amazing lucky my generation was to have made it thu childhood without seatbelts in the grocery cart...

3 You're screwed, torch her car, and break into her apt while she is gone.

4 Ha! Team Tonks.

“reign in blood”

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
It's possible that he's a child predatory -- they will seek out single moms who have kids of the right gender/age.
Oh, come on!

I would think even a prdator would fake it. He's either not interested, extremely shy, or maybe he's never kissed before?

“reign in blood”

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

2- The store can still be held liable even if the parents are idiots.

3- I agree you should steal your money's worth while she's on the cruise.

4- You had to ask Abby?

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

Team Angela all the way today!

And I wanted to add a sneer for the helicoptering busybody LW2. MYOB.

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
L1: Wait,what? You've been dating him for TWO MONTHS and he already met your kids and hangs out with your family?
Yeah, this is what I was thinking. LW's got major issues besides the weird dynamic in her "relationship."
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
L4: The answer is so obvious that I can't understand how you produced two children capable of graduating from college.
I know, right? But Tonka's answer is pretty funny.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

LW1: Two months and the guy hasn't kissed you, at all! That's like end of first date or for sure by second date material. Something is wrong with him. By two months he should be all up in your slot until he hits the jackpot, on a regular basis.

LW2: That's not asking for advice. <snore>

LW3: What Angela said.

LW4: What Abby said.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

L1: You sure he's straight?

L2: Lecture over?

L3: What Abby said and consider what Red suggested.

L4: I agree with Angela. These parents are stupid. Love Tonka's answer. Nothing like a good dose of sarcasm in the morning. In the age of skype, tablets, netbooks, smartphones, you can be virtually two places at one time. How does this LW get up in the morning and put clothes on? I wouldn't think she's capable.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

Maybe the guy being talked about in L1 witnessed Al Gore and Tipper kiss at the 2000 DNC and was traumatized by it and hasn't been able to kiss any woman since then.

If you've ever seen the video of that, it makes you wonder how the heck they ever procreated. It's so funny.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

L3: What "obvious reasons"? Is your teleport station inactive? Don't you have one of those turn-back-time pendants from Harry Potter?
Sam I Am

Cedar Grove, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

1. 2 months? WTF? There are always opportunities to kiss. Just take the next one and whatever happens happens.

2. Seat belts in grocery carts? Good grief. We are raising a nation of pansies.

3. F' her and her "friendship." Tell her she has X days to pay you back or you will seek legal relief.

4. Time machine, duh. Go to one, then get in a time machine and go back and see the other. Gosh are you stupid.

“It made sense at the time....”

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

LW3 - and htis is the flip side of the letter we had recently asking if it was ok not to speed up the payment plan because the recipient of hte loan came into some extra money...

neither a borrower nor a lender be...

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Sam I Am wrote:
2. Seat belts in grocery carts? Good grief. We are raising a nation of pansies.
The seat belts are great, especially for the littler ones who are too young to really understand that they're supposed to stay sitting down.(at that age usually everyone is always giving them huge attention and praise when they DO stand up on their own)
What I HATE are those damned "car carts" that most of the stores have now. HUGE plastic car for the kid to sit in, and all too often the kids are old enough to walk and stay with the adult.
It's not that there is a nation of pansies being groomed, ut there are a hugs amount of self indulgent entitlement brats being set loose. They show up in places like "customers suck" and "not always right".

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Uh, typo, should be huge, not hugs.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

NWmoon wrote:
<quoted text> The seat belts are great, especially for the littler ones who are too young to really understand that they're supposed to stay sitting down.(at that age usually everyone is always giving them huge attention and praise when they DO stand up on their own)
What I HATE are those damned "car carts" that most of the stores have now. HUGE plastic car for the kid to sit in, and all too often the kids are old enough to walk and stay with the adult.
It's not that there is a nation of pansies being groomed, ut there are a hugs amount of self indulgent entitlement brats being set loose. They show up in places like "customers suck" and "not always right".
The girls LOVE those "car carts" but thankfully they are almost always already occupied, so we get out of getting one. They drive like aircraft carriers and I hate them.

They're fine with sitting in the big part of the cart now (with the stuff) if they get too tired, but usually they just hang off the sides so they can get on and off at will.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

I like the TV commercial (for what, I don't know) that shows things from the perspetive of the little kid in the bottom of that car cart.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

NWmoon wrote:
The seat belts are great,
I agree. But I never really thought of them as a safety device. To me, they were a way to help me control my kid. Instead of fighting with them to sit still and stop tryig to get out(cause then they'd want to run around in the store), I'd strap them in. Freed me up a bit.
NWmoon wrote:
Those cars rock. I would look for those specifically. Could put both kids in at the same time AND strap them in if they would not sit still

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
The girls LOVE those "car carts" but thankfully they are almost always already occupied, so we get out of getting one. They drive like aircraft carriers and I hate them.
They're fine with sitting in the big part of the cart now (with the stuff) if they get too tired, but usually they just hang off the sides so they can get on and off at will.
How small is your grocery haul that you can put 2 kids in the main compartment and have room for groceries? We go once a week and there ain't now way even one kid is riding in there unless its like a mid week trip to grab a couple items.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE