dahgts

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

DEAR AMY: Once a week a group of my friends gathers at one of our houses for dessert and to watch a popular television show. I hosted last week, and I had a glass of wine prior to people showing up.

I have a 1930s house and an old-style TV, whereas everyone else is in a new house with the biggest and best of everything. A friendís husband and I got onto the topic of old houses. It was not a friendly conversation. Frankly, I was buzzed. I can have a short temper, and I was seething during the conversation.

We managed to make it to the end of the show, but this friendís wife made a disparaging remark about me being drunk. I blew it out of proportion. I caught another close friend looking at me like ď... who are you?Ē

Since this incident I have called both friends to see if they would talk this out. I donít drink daily or even weekly, but I did come from a house full of alcoholics. Mom could get verbally nasty when she drank. Is that where I get my temper? You read about people with Irish tempers throwing plates at each other (Iím Irish)ó is it genetic or learned behavior? What should I do?-- Guilty

DEAR GUILTY: Your behavior on this night, which you describe so honestly, is not specific to a particular ethnicity or culture. Itís the booze talking, and this type of drunken rage is as common in a John Cheever story as it is in a Frank McCourt memoir.

These close friends are telling you that your drinking is a problem. You must believe them ó and admit it to yourself. It doesnít matter how often or how much you drink; your relationships are suffering, so you need to stop.

Because you have alcoholism in your family, you should not drink at all. You could pursue recovery, get information and find support through Alcoholics Anonymous. Go to aa.org to find a local meeting.

DEAR AMY: Whatís the harm in having a secret platonic friend of the opposite sex?

My friend came back into my life a year ago following a tragedy, and we talk at least once a week. Talking with her produces a new level of comfort, understanding and self-esteem. However, I havenít disclosed any of this communication to my wife. On the one hand I feel so guilty, but on the other hand I see little harm.

I canít bear the thought of ending this relationship, and Iím afraid my wife will insist I terminate it if I confess. My friendís partner is also unaware of my existence.

In my heart I know this has developed into an underground relationship, which canít continue in its present state. Though I havenít lied to my wife, I feel I have woven a web of deceit. Is this wrong as long as itís platonic?-- Worried Husband

DEAR HUSBAND: One aspect of your secret relationship is that you are sharing intimacies and emotions with your friend that you could (or should) be sharing with your life partner. Imagine how lonely she might feel, losing you in this way during a time when she might need you the most.

This relationship is wrong because it feels wrong. There is no difference between weaving a ďweb of deceitĒ and outright lying. A professional therapist could help you and your wife deal with the tragedy youíve suffered, sort through your feelings and restore the intimacy you should share. Your secret friendship may have helped you heal during a tough time, but your ďspecial friendĒ has no healthy role to play in your marriage.

DEAR AMY:ďFurious TeenĒ didnít know how to react to a teacher who demeaned and bullied her. I can still remember my seventh-grade homeroom teacher, who I now realize was a genuine bully. I wish I had gone to my parents about this because I think they might have done something about it.-- Still Furious

DEAR FURIOUS: Iíve heard from many readers with long-standing memories of teacher-bullies. I hope that current awareness is helping bullied kids to find their voice.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Judged:

L1: How big was that glass of wine?

L2: You know where this relationship is going and you know you have to stop it. Just stop it.

L3: If I could go back in time I would verbally betch-slap my third grade math teacher. Thank goodness I had great teachers after that and math was one of my best subjects.

Since: Dec 09

Smalltown, Colorado

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Judged:

Zounds! There weren't any controlling men today.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Shari23 wrote:
Zounds! There weren't any controlling men today.
Surely you have something to bash LW2 about.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Judged:

Who said the Irish are temperamental drunks!?
not a ghost

San Antonio, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

If LW2 wants to answer his question of "what's the
harm?" he needs to be honest with himself that this
lady should be a potential friend for his wife as
well as himself--or he is rationalizing..... or the letter may be a well-written fake...

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

not a ghost wrote:
If LW2 wants to answer his question of "what's the
harm?" he needs to be honest with himself that this
lady should be a potential friend for his wife as
well as himself--or he is rationalizing..... or the letter may be a well-written fake...
So what happens if LW's wife is a gossip or a religious conservative who would not be supportive of whatever the initial tragedy was?
Julie

Skokie, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

LW1: Put down the "glass" of wine. It's obvious to your friends that you have a problem and can't control your temper when you drink, even if it's as little as you claim.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

77 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 8 min edogxxx 97,578
Abby 7-31 10 min edogxxx 1
Amy 7-31 12 min edogxxx 1
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 17 min PDUPONT 1,083,784
Russian Surgery by Ima gonnacutchum urcockoff 19 min Also Putin Doctor 1
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 26 min Jacques from Ottawa 175,142
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 28 min gianni cartooni 68,059
Amy 7-30 6 hr pde 21
•••
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE