Haitian parents cope with fallout cou...

Haitian parents cope with fallout court decision rescinding their citizenship

Posted in the Chicago Forum

Allyn Gaestel

Tempe, AZ

#1 May 4, 2014
Good idea. Let's do this here.
Tens of thousands born to Haitian parents cope with the fallout from a court decision rescinding their citizenship
May 4, 2014 5:00AM ET
by Allyn Gaestel
LOS JOVILLOS DE YAMASA, Dominican Republic — When Jenny Sarita Emanier Previlma finished high school, she was the pride of this small, rural town, one of only a handful of high-school graduates. She dreams of continuing her studies and becoming a doctor. But because Emanier, 24, lacks a national identification document, she cannot enroll in a public university.“I feel sad," she says. "My friends who I finished school with, they’re already finishing university."
Emanier is one of an estimated 210,000 people who have been stripped of their Dominican citizenship because of the immigration status of their parents. Emanier was born in the Dominican Republic, but her mother moved here from neighboring Haiti in 1982 with a government-issued work permit.
Last September, the Dominican Constitutional Court ruled that another resident of Emanier’s town, a woman named Juliana Deguis Pierre, did not have the right to Dominican citizenship because her parents were “irregular” migrants. It also ruled that the findings in the case should be applied not only to Deguis but to all descendants of irregular migrants — those with temporary work permits or without documents — born in the country since 1929.
http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/5/...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min VetnorsGate 1,682,060
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 23 min Chicagoan by Birth 243,229
george cardenas tucker 40 min Unknown Carrier 5
Trump is A 41 min DemParty KILLER 358
What to expect when dating a Filipina woman? 46 min Scabies-crabs 2
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 56 min Thor156 11,748
Trumps Blackmail Dealing has Dangerous Conseque... 1 hr Bill Q 1

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages