Kathleen Parker: Sarah Palin should q...

Kathleen Parker: Sarah Palin should quit the race

There are 1433 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Sep 26, 2008, titled Kathleen Parker: Sarah Palin should quit the race. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

If at one time women were considered heretical for swimming upstream against feminist orthodoxy, they now face condemnation for swimming downstream -- away from Sarah Palin .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 72
Next Last
Peege

Chicago, IL

#1 Sep 26, 2008
She's fine. Give her a little time. Obama would be the same way if he hadn't spent the last 8 years focusing on his public perception (which is all he's done the last 8 years, i might add).
city guy

Melrose Park, IL

#2 Sep 26, 2008
Sarah Palin scares democrats and liberals. They run. They hide. They cower. Not because they fear Sarah Palin. But because Sarah is 'popular'. And they hate 'popular' candidates, especially when they are not THEIR candidates. Sarah doesn't need to leave, she needs to be here more than ever...
kevin

Berkeley, CA

#3 Sep 26, 2008
"If Palin were a man..."

Or if Palin was a less-attractive woman.
JSB

Madison, WI

#4 Sep 26, 2008
Wow, do I sense a little jealousy here, Kathleen. Grow up!
R Horan

Batavia, IL

#5 Sep 26, 2008
Speaking of BS this whole article was flavored with it!
Dave

Chicago, IL

#6 Sep 26, 2008
Sequestered Sarah will not bow out. There are only 39 days remaining until the election. The McCain campaign is trying to hide her all the way to the White House. She has not held a single press conference since her nomination. The VP debate next Thursday will be interesting, assuming she will be there.
Dave

Chicago, IL

#8 Sep 26, 2008
city guy wrote:
Sarah Palin scares democrats and liberals.
Kathleen Parker is a conservative columnist.
Willie

Dolton, IL

#9 Sep 26, 2008
I am a McCain supporter. But I also feel that Palin is not the right choice for VP. She is woefully unprepared to discuss any topic in depth. She has been repeating herself since she spoke at the Convention.

Give her 5 years. Then we may have something.
Mary

Chicago, IL

#10 Sep 26, 2008
Kathleen -
I thought I was the only one cringing and reaching for the remote each (of the few) times an interview with Mrs. Palin airs. I was rooting for her to succeed, but WOW is she out of her league. What concerns me most is that in the midst of this financial crisis, she doesn't seem to have the basic curiosity to try to understand it beyond meaningless sound-bites. Please, Sarah Palin, decide to spend time helping poor Bristol - a serious candidate is needed now!
eener

AOL

#11 Sep 26, 2008
I just disagree overall. I fully believe she is the best candidate for the job. Just my opinion.
Bea Rothchilds

Rolling Meadows, IL

#12 Sep 26, 2008
kudos, Kathleen. you hit the nail on the head. i've been hoping she'd bail out for weeks. it was obvious that first night that she was all talk (with a hefty splash of sarcasm) and no substance. choosing her was a mistake from the get-go. her subsequent interviews have only compounded this perception of her. she cannot lead this country. we're in one of the worst situations ever - we cannot risk her being at the healm. scarah, indeed.
Boomer

Debary, FL

#13 Sep 26, 2008
Kathleen Parker is stating the absolute truth about Palin's inadequacy. For a conservative journalist, that took integrity and courage. Palin's interviews have been embarassing and cringe worthy. The thought of her proximity to the presidency is chilling.
Wayne

Weihai, China

#14 Sep 26, 2008
Based on Kathleen's brief comments about Biden, she should also write an article on why he should be bowing out as the Democratic vice-presidential candidate, right?
Ray

Mason, MI

#15 Sep 26, 2008
It took you This Long to discover Palin is an airhead? And still you devote 50% of your column to praising her? "Men Swooned. Pakistan's president wanted to hug her..."
So what you loved about Palin was the stereotypical image of a femme fatale?
Shame on you for buying into the hype at the expense of reason, for far too long.
Ray

Chicago, IL

#16 Sep 26, 2008
Palin is way out of her league, I agree, and her choice as running mate has only assured Obama and Biden's victory. Thanks, Senator McCain for assuring that my candidate will win! Americans are tired of the pandering cards the Republican party likes to play with. We don't believe in you anymore. You're out of touch with the world and underestimate the perceptiveness and intelligence of the American people. We don't buy your simplistic golly-gosh-gee-whiz-Uhmerica drivel.
mjb36

United States

#17 Sep 26, 2008
I am repeating myself here, but, Kathleen, perhaps you're not aware of the qualifications Palin has and the responsibilities she's has dealt with. Read and think hard before you dismiss her:

Don't dismiss the fact that Sarah Palin is Commander of the Alaska National Guard-- consider this.

Alaska is the first line of defense in our missile interceptor defense system.

The 49th Missile Defense Battalion of the Alaska National Guard is the unit that protects the entire nation from ballistic missile attacks. It's on permanent active duty, unlike other Guard units.

As governor of Alaska, Palin is briefed on highly classified military issues, homeland security, and counterterrorism. Her exposure to classified material may rival even Biden's and certainly by far exceeds Obama's.

She's also the commander in chief of the Alaska State Defense Force (ASDF), a federally recognized militia incorporated into Homeland Security's counterterrorism plans.

Palin is privy to military and intelligence secrets that are vital to the entire country's defense. Given Alaska 's proximity to Russia , she may have security clearances we don't even know about.

According to the Washington Post, she first met with McCain in February, but nobody ever found out. This is a woman used to keeping secrets.

She can be entrusted with our national security, because she already is.
Buddha

Schaumburg, IL

#18 Sep 26, 2008
City Guy, democrats and liberals aren't running away from Sarah Palin, they're running toward her to record the next hollow thing she says. You better get her a new pair of tap shoes because she's almost burned through the floor.

You're right, Sarah Palin isn't MY candidate. Geniuses like her and Dubya are YOUR candidates. You'd be embarrassed if your ego was getting in the way....
Theresa

Cincinnati, OH

#19 Sep 26, 2008
I agree with Kathleen, however I haven't been a Palin fan from the get-go. We need experience, extreme committment & deep knowledge of the issues in any candidate that could potentially be President of the United States. I haven't seen & don't expect to see that she has these qualifications. If McCain were younger, maybe not so much a problem. But, we know his age & health status & know that the potential of her taking over is a possibility. Not a chance I'm going to take by voting for the McCain/Palin ticket.
Republican Gal

Saint Paul, MN

#20 Sep 26, 2008
It is real sad. My sister (like me a conservative soccer mom) called me up after watching the Katie Courick interview and said, I don't know. It scares me because she doesn't know what she's doing. Why didn't he pick somebody else like another conservative woman. Anyway I'm mad. We got what we thought was a great Christian candidate and she is not ready.
Sarah

Chicago, IL

#21 Sep 26, 2008
mjb36 wrote:
I am repeating myself here, but, Kathleen, perhaps you're not aware of the qualifications Palin has and the responsibilities she's has dealt with. Read and think hard before you dismiss her:
Don't dismiss the fact that Sarah Palin is Commander of the Alaska National Guard-- consider this.
Alaska is the first line of defense in our missile interceptor defense system.
The 49th Missile Defense Battalion of the Alaska National Guard is the unit that protects the entire nation from ballistic missile attacks. It's on permanent active duty, unlike other Guard units.
As governor of Alaska, Palin is briefed on highly classified military issues, homeland security, and counterterrorism. Her exposure to classified material may rival even Biden's and certainly by far exceeds Obama's.
She's also the commander in chief of the Alaska State Defense Force (ASDF), a federally recognized militia incorporated into Homeland Security's counterterrorism plans.
Palin is privy to military and intelligence secrets that are vital to the entire country's defense. Given Alaska 's proximity to Russia , she may have security clearances we don't even know about.
According to the Washington Post, she first met with McCain in February, but nobody ever found out. This is a woman used to keeping secrets.
She can be entrusted with our national security, because she already is.
Are you an idiot? Seriously?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 72
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min Obama who 1,497,385
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 9 min Dr Guru 237,343
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 36 min Go Blue Forever 104,990
Jonny's Towing is Chicagoland's Most Crooked Co... 1 hr Badd 18
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 2 hr Ize Found 71,376
Obama's a mooslim traitor! 2 hr Ushie Bobo 1
Comedy , theatre or rush street? 3 hr Cgeh 1

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages