Posted in the Chicago Forum

David Hoffman

Dallas, TX

#1 Oct 21, 2013
The dumbing down of America

16.10.2013 12:55

By David Hoffman

The dumbing down of America. 51333.jpeg

One of the most insidious, yet effective, political strategies in existence is what Adolf Hitler called THE GREAT LIE THEORY. Simply put, the great lie theory states that if political leaders take great lies, reduce them to slogans, and unremittingly repeat them they can make people believe that "hell is heaven" and "heaven is hell."

When successfully deployed, great lies can influence all classes of people to act against common sense, common interests, and the common good, and when great lies are propagated by the rich, they can be especially effective at turning the middle class and the poor against each other. For this to occur, however, the propagators of great lies must overcome two fundamental problems.

First, they must make sure they are disseminating great lies, because ordinary lies will be recognized by the masses.

For example, many, if not most, Americans did not believe Bill Clinton's denials about having a sexual relationship with White House intern Monica Lewinsky, because people routinely lie about extramarital affairs.

Yet many, if not most, Americans obsequiously swallowed George W. Bush's lies about Iraq possessing "weapons of mass destruction," because it was difficult for them to believe a United States president would recklessly spend billions of taxpayer dollars, and callously sacrifice thousands of lives, simply so he and his draft-dodging minions could "play soldier" without risk to their own lives, and so he could further enrich his wealthy political supporters with "no-bid" rebuilding contracts, oil leases, and other lucrative spoils of war.

Second, for great lies to be successful, they have to be believed, and historically this has meant that intellectuals who possess the political, social, and historical knowledge to recognize and expose great lies must be silenced.

In dictatorships, this is usually accomplished through censorship, intimidation, imprisonment, torture, and assassination. But in so-called "democracies," the suppression of the intelligentsia usually has to be more subtle.

Usually, but not always. In fact, one of today's primary beneficiaries of the great lie theory, Barack Obama, has not hesitated to employ tactics once reserved for dictators.

http://english.pravda.ru/opinion/columnists/1... #
hand on ar

Gurnee, IL

#2 Oct 22, 2013
I luv this place who u gonna vot fo next kanye and Kim or jazy and beonce! Ooh ooh I no justen beeder and mylee virus ......
billy hill

Gurnee, IL

#7 Oct 25, 2013
Aw hell we donts need to be smart none more. We gots smartphones dummie
billy hill

Gurnee, IL

#9 Oct 30, 2013
Heck how I supposed to call somone if my batrees dun died
kim

Gurnee, IL

#15 Nov 7, 2013
I feel dumber after watching the Kardashians!
animals

Gurnee, IL

#21 Nov 24, 2013
I tell ya,animals
ken

Charleston, WV

#22 Nov 24, 2013
you ppl go kiss blk oprah ass now she slamed whites' who made her rich' there all like that' go see her new movie watch her net own' calling all white ppl racist the n bitch man oh man
Idiocracy The Movie

Victoria, Canada

#23 Nov 24, 2013
It's like the movie Idiocracy. The whole society becomes populated by retards after 500 years of stupid people breeding like rabbits and smart people having few or no children.
Stupid Types

Columbus, IN

#25 Nov 28, 2013
Everybody knows what Obama is all about. Yet the media says people hate Republicans even more. This whole damn thing is rigged.
bubba

Gurnee, IL

#27 Dec 2, 2013
Stupid Types wrote:
Everybody knows what Obama is all about. Yet the media says people hate Republicans even more. This whole damn thing is rigged.
. I agree

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Portlandia 1,156,364
Amy 12-28-14 24 min Kuuipo 6
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 30 min JpostNewsYTube 182,198
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 36 min TRD 68,921
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 47 min Patriot AKA Bozo 49,371
Dear Abby 12-28 50 min Kuuipo 4
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 2 hr PEllen 98,885
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News