For each child's death, Black Star Project signals distress

Full story: Chicago Tribune

Project leader Phillip Jackson hopes President Barack Obama responds to youth violence in Chicago, nationwide Dawn Turner Trice May 18, 2009 Phillip Jackson 's voice is shrill and his expressions are sweeping as he moves around his Bronzeville office.
Comments
1 - 20 of 32 Comments Last updated May 28, 2009
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
LLLL

Europe

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2009

Are there not WHITE children who's parents aren't doing their job? Why restrict help to folks of color instead of giving it to people that need it, no matter what their color is. Is there some service just for white kids out there that makes it necessary for this service to be for just blacks and Latinos? Nope.
sum_dood

Northbrook, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2009

" His ire is directed at parents who aren't doing their jobs parenting"

He gets it. It doesn't take a village. It takes two involved parents.

Throwing $ at this issue isn't the answer. Teaching personal responsiblity by everyone is.
-

I wonder how all of those folks got guns in a city where they are illegal?
Roosevelt

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2009

"Jackson is trying desperately to get more people to understand the value of the young lives that are being lost on the streets of Chicago"

I'm perfectly aware of the value of these lives, thank you. EVERY time another kid dies on the South or West sides, I think of how that kid may have grown up to cure a disease, become a great teacher, or contribute to society in some way. The only people who don't seem to get this are the black (and to a lesser degree, Latino) communities. They don't value their own lives, and then act shocked when whites don't burst into tears at the news of yet another deadly gang shooting. What exactly does Jackson expect the White House to do? This change needs to come from within - from within the black community, from within the souls and values of the people involved, and from within the home.

Every instance of another person lost to street violence is heartbreaking. But at this point, I've got compassion fatigue as I see no sign of the glamorized thug culture dissipating.
Roosevelt

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2009

And LLLL, way to take the discussion right to "Oh my God, what about the WHITE FOLLLLLKS??!! Won't SOMEONE think about the WHITE FOLLLLLKS?" (And P.S., I'm white.)
ossifer

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2009

LLLL wrote:
Are there not WHITE children who's parents aren't doing their job? Why restrict help to folks of color instead of giving it to people that need it, no matter what their color is. Is there some service just for white kids out there that makes it necessary for this service to be for just blacks and Latinos? Nope.
Because the ratio of white to black kids getting killed isn't even close. Black people need to acknowledge the problem. Everytime a discussion like this in on Topix,inevitably someone wil say..."Well,it's always white kids that shoot up schools,and no one ever says their is a problem in the white community." Until the black community accepts the problem and are willing to fix it,the cycle of violence will only continue.
This includes....father's accepting their parental rights, both males/females not having children before they are ready,picking up garbage in the neighborhoods, standing up to gangmembers, backing teachers in the schools, not drinking/smoking drugs.....and most importantly,allow the police to be the police again. This is just a short list,can go on for hours and hours
Dan Bassill

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2009

RE: Point to all tutor/mentor programs in the city in your stories

Hi Dawn,

Thanks for sharing Phil Jackson's message. I've known him for more than 10 years and he is right on target with his call for involvement, from the President on down to every citizen.

However, The Black Star Project is not the only youth-serving organization in Chicago. I lead the Tutor/Mentor Connection and since 1993 have maintained a database of volunteer-based tutoring and/or mentoring programs serving different Chicago neighborhoods. You can search this information, by zip code, community area, and type of program, to find contact information and web sites for more than 170 different places where kids and volunteers can connect.

We are mapping this information, showing where poverty contributes to poorly performing schools and youth on youth violence, as a means of motivating businesses, faith groups, universities, hospitals and government leaders to distribute resources to all of the high poverty neighborhoods, not just to the organizations with the best public awareness.

When anyone in the media talks about these issues, point to the http://www.tutormentorprogramlocator.net and you can help everyone of these organizations find the dollars and volunteers they need to build on-going connections with kids.

Phil Jackson will be part of a media panel at the May 28 and 29 Tutor/Mentor Leadership and Networking Conference. The web site is http://www.tutormentorconference.org

I hope you'll add this into your on-going efforts to help us help more inner city kids get the non-school adult support systems they need to overcome the challenges of poverty, racism and poor schools.
harrietwest

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2009

it seems that pointing the finger at Obama and everyone else whose name can get media's attention is all a publcity stunt to excite an ongoing fundraising effort by this group.

TODAY, about an hour ago, i along with i bet hundreds (or maybe even thousands) of others, received a mass e-mail from jackson's group with a copy of this hot off the press Chicago Tribune article written by Ms. Dawn Turner Trice at the top --and an invitation to give THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS to his black star organization at the bottom.

Titled "We're Tired Of Our Children Being Shovel-Ready", the mass e-mail also included a request that we all send Ms. Dawn Turner Trice an e-mail stating our approval of her work, with a listing of her email address.

this is not to suggest that Jackson doesn't really care about youth dying in our streets. but even Jackson has to understand that sending him thousands of dollars isn't going to change a thing for the black community and the children who are being killed in our streets and neglected in their homes.

i wish Jackson and others who are always telling innercity (Black / Hispanic) people that all of their problems can be solved by the president and donations to their organizations would tell people the truth -- COSBY STYLE.

Obama has already done more to help families than Jackson ever will by showing that, despite his massive obligations to the country, he takes time out for his wife and family. Obama and his wife have also demonstrated what hard work, a supportive family and a great education can acccomplish. Obama has also lectured IN CHICAGO AND ELSEWHERE on fathers who need to step up to the plate and BE FATHERS.

and these messages came FREE OF CHARGE.

I hope there are some parents out there who heard these messages.

sometimes some of the best things in life ARE free.
melodylane

Skokie, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2009

HE somehow manages to put more division between the whites and blacks and Latinos, trying to get the Latinos to blame the whites, ignoring the problems between the black and Latino community.

They are in constant gang wars with each other.
Marine1

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2009

Obama has already done more to help families than Jackson ever will by showing that, despite his massive obligations to the country, he takes time out for his wife and family. Obama and his wife have also demonstrated what hard work, a supportive family and a great education can acccomplish. Obama has also lectured IN CHICAGO AND ELSEWHERE on fathers who need to step up to the plate and BE FATHERS.
and these messages came FREE OF CHARGE.
I hope there are some parents out there who heard these messages.
sometimes some of the best things in life ARE free.

Harrietwest, your post is 110% true, great job! These families affected by violence and drugs need to understand the structure of a family; Father (involved), Mother (involved), children (respectful w/ character)
James Reyes

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2009

I love the way the Tribune censors posts that don't follow the approved script.Read this while you can.
The hated Mayor Daley is providing 19,000 summer jobs. Of course this wasn't mentioned in the column.
Violence can be reduced by understanding the violence.It is fueled by macho posturing.A twisted code of honor forces many young people to fight [and win ] at any sign of disrespect.If they don't they risk being victimized.Instead of a twisted code of honor determining their actions,troubled youth could determine their own code of honor. This could include a face saving phrase or gesture that would allow combatants to walk away from [or postpone] confrontations without dishonor. A face saving option could be invented and popularized immediately,wouldn't require major lifestyle changes,and wouldn't cost any money.It could work without the permission or input from the press,politicians,police,preac hers,professors or parents.Kids saving themselves by empowering themselves.Even if the face saving option was rarely used,it could save hundreds of lives.
If you need a more conventional solution,where grown ups save the day,here is a way to put a cop on every corner.Off duty police officers that were also community activists,would sell produce in food deserts[which are usually high crime areas].The trucks would play music like ice cream trucks,except they would play police themed popular songs or themes from old tv police shows.Vendors would report crimes they saw being committed.They could also make arrests,when necessary since they are off duty cops.Even hearing the approaching trucks music might cause criminals to scatter.The "produce police"could serve as a bridge between police and crime ridden communities and provide cheap healthy food at the same time.
Liberal and Proud

Park Ridge, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2009

Roosevelt wrote:
And LLLL, way to take the discussion right to "Oh my God, what about the WHITE FOLLLLLKS??!! Won't SOMEONE think about the WHITE FOLLLLLKS?" (And P.S., I'm white.)
Discrimination is discrimination no matter the color. What is good for black and hispanic kids is good for the white kids. Get it???
leonard hamiltgon

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2009

Money is not the solution. And to drive home my next point, what is a "black community"? Most of the kids today who attend public school are ignorant and future criminals who in the morning before class begins make a stop at the local filthy area store to purchase grape juice and hot cheese doritos for breakfast, after school it is time for donuts and moutain dew, forget homework because mama is not getting home until 7, 8pm then she is on the phone until past 11 with some man that she hopes to move into the house. So no homework gets done and the cycle starts again the next morning. By the way I am a black man but the difference is I spend time with my kids, assist with homework, know all of their teachers by name, make routine surprise visits to the school so the teachers know my face. That is the difference and it does not take much. There are many poverty pimps out there who have spoiled opportunites and wasted millions of dollars that would have truly helped. Urban League, PUSH, NAACP they have not earned any respect from me and many other people in my circle of friends. Also Mr. Jackson was once in charge of the CHA, how is that affordable housing working out, maybe he can tell us where the last units are kept.
What is fair

Merrimac, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2009

I agree you need to include white kids too every young child deserves the same chance and should not be based on color for any reason. I think it is time to stop seeing everything in black and white and just come togther as one race that wants what is best for all children.
tom

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2009

He should start chalking up black stars each time an incompetent, unmarried woman on public assistance has yet another child. When a basket-case mother has a 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, etc., child at taxpayer expense, it should not be celebrated. The child is likely destined for a difficult life, and makes life more difficult for his older brothers and sisters, as well as the overburdened taxpayers who have to stretch their budgets even further to pay for yet another charity case.

To solve the problem, you have to get to the root of it. The root of the problem is unmarried young women who have large numbers of children whom they cannot support or educate. The African-American community should pressure these women to stop having children after the first or second child.
George N Schmidt

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2009

Why is it that Jackson always leaves out the fact that he spent several years in the mid-1990s as "Chief of Staff" for Paul Vallas at the Chicago Public Schools. I remember hearing him (as Vallas's substitute) give a bizarre graduation speech to Bowen High School graduates in 1996 or 1997. Jackson's contributions to Chicago include both the destruction of affordable low-income housing as head of CHA and the obfuscation of problems in Chicago's public schools as Chief of Staff to the head of CPS. Next time, don't let him leave out certain key moments in his career.
Is anyone really surprised he got that mailing for money out immediately? C'mon.
Roosevelt

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2009

*sigh*

Liberal and Proud - The ratio of black and hispanic kids being killed versus white is no contest in Chicago; MANY more minority kids are killed through gang warfare. That is why this project is focusing on that. Please learn about a situation before you open your yap about it, mmmmkay? Shrieking "discrimination" when attention is being paid to the heart of a problem is amazingly self-centered and unproductive. GET IT?

And Tom from Downers Grove - uh, you DO know that it takes a woman AND A MAN to make a baby, don't you? Why are you blaming just the women? Men are perfectly capable of using their own birth control if their partner doesn't want to. But I know it's easier for you to just blame the "welfare queens." I agree that there are way too many kids being born to unfit parents, but don't target only half the problem.

Since: Jun 08

Chicago

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2009

tom wrote:
He should start chalking up black stars each time an incompetent, unmarried woman on public assistance has yet another child. When a basket-case mother has a 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, etc., child at taxpayer expense, it should not be celebrated. The child is likely destined for a difficult life, and makes life more difficult for his older brothers and sisters, as well as the overburdened taxpayers who have to stretch their budgets even further to pay for yet another charity case.
To solve the problem, you have to get to the root of it. The root of the problem is unmarried young women who have large numbers of children whom they cannot support or educate. The African-American community should pressure these women to stop having children after the first or second child.
I'm black and approve your message. I see this crap everyday in my area. Lets make it a law. The city should have forced abortions for high school teens (my way of thinking). The teen will more then likely not finish and tax payers will have to support her and the child.
Sal

Saint Peters, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2009

yeah
Sal

Saint Peters, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2009

really crazy
Sal

Saint Peters, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2009

do it

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

65 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Teaman 1,080,658
Fun Song Combos (Sep '12) 4 min not a ghost 360
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 8 min Nana4pali 67,995
Amy 7-26 11 min not a ghost 5
Abby 7-26 15 min not a ghost 8
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 27 min Frank 174,686
Abby July 25, 2014 57 min PEllen 12
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 1 hr RACE 97,542
•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••