Frequent flooding gives some Des Plaines River residents pause

Full story: Chicago Tribune

After they dried out from last year's flood along the Des Plaines River, Carol and Grant Dace stayed in their home along scenic Big Bend Drive because they thought they wouldn't experience a similar deluge any ...
Comments
1 - 14 of 14 Comments Last updated Dec 18, 2012
jack myers

Brookfield, WI

#1 Sep 16, 2008
I have no problem with people who live along the rivers as long as they have flood insurance and don't expect the government to help them out financially. They should understand that they will/do live in a floodplain and suffer the consequences. The same holds true along any river, e.g. Mississippi. The federal government should NOT help out!!!!!
Thoin

Girard, OH

#3 Sep 16, 2008
Its called River Rd for a reason.
Spector

Chicago, IL

#4 Sep 16, 2008
I used to live on Dempster near Lutheran General. Boy do I remember the floods in the '70s and early '80s! Almost every year, our neighbors got terrible flooding in their basements. I remember sometimes seeing it would shoot sewage out of the standpipes in the basements. No one then knew anything from 'black mold' or anything. They just would be left with 'musty' basements. I later found out from an old professor I had that he knew the townhouse developer back in the '50s got permission to build in that area from DesPlaines/Cook County even though it was a well-recognized flood plain. Again, more Cook County corruption impacting residents' lives..... They should be torn down, frankly. Oh well, maybe with the deep tunnel it doesn't flood that area as much anymore.
Kalynn

Chicago, IL

#5 Sep 16, 2008
I think most of the people in this article were quite realistic. They seem to realize that the price of their beautiful yard along the rive may be frequent flooding.
Andy S

United States

#6 Sep 16, 2008
I agree with all the above comments. Same goes for people living in California.. don't expect me to feel sorry if you get hit by an earthquake and don't have insurance. Of course when it comes to natural disasters, I suppose the only safe place in the US is South Dakota or Montana. Well outside of some nasty cold winters that is. Go to msc.fema.gov for quick flood zone info for where you might want to live. Do research BEFORE you move.
BKB

Mount Prospect, IL

#8 Sep 21, 2008
Get private sector insurance if you want to stay. No more taxpayer handouts!!
Zoe

Libertyville, IL

#9 Sep 23, 2008
I didn't have a choice when we moved into the house that we did, I wasn't born yet. My parents have been living there for the 24 years that I have been alive and they went through the '86 flood. Here's a thought for all you people who are telling us to move...there are houses that have been on sale for years now and nobody will buy them. Do you think if my parents put their house up on the market it would sell? Do you think, at this point after the flood, that the house would sell with all the damage that has happened? No. Nobody told my parents when they moved there that this is lower ground and is likely to flood. There were no websites, no realtors to inform them of what could happen...computers weren't even around as much as they are now. The basement was full of water and there were 8 inches on the main floor of their ranch house...they were forced to move out of the house because of the bacteria and mold. This is not an ideal situation...and honestly at this point both my parents, and my siblings would prefer to bulldoze the house and move elsewhere. That's not going to happen without government funding. Think before you speak people....there are a lot of families hurting in our neighborhood and you are deciding to tell us to "think before we move" and give your opinion that "federal government should NOT help out".
Bud

Des Plaines, IL

#10 Jan 2, 2009
I am looking into a property on 2004 Birch, which is by Howard two blocks west of River Rd. Is that condsidered a flood zone???
frank

Des Plaines, IL

#11 Jan 4, 2009
very much so. However, if the price is right and it has a rainwater sump pump as well as a sewer pump, along with a generator and battery backup pumps....then you're ok. Seriously, it is an ok area to live, but the chances of perennial flooding are extremely high.
Sew Your Pockets Closed

AOL

#12 Jan 4, 2009
BKB wrote:
Get private sector insurance if you want to stay. No more taxpayer handouts!!
Exactly. Idiots who build on flood plains deserve to get soaked, but, not those who weren't so dumb. Don't expect me to foot the tab for your stupidity, and that goes for the Gulf Coast, coastal Florida, those who build in wild-fire-zones and all of the earth-quake zones out west too.
I mean, sure, the views are nice, but - at what and at whose cost?
frank

Des Plaines, IL

#13 Jan 4, 2009
Sew Your Pockets Closed wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. Idiots who build on flood plains deserve to get soaked, but, not those who weren't so dumb. Don't expect me to foot the tab for your stupidity, and that goes for the Gulf Coast, coastal Florida, those who build in wild-fire-zones and all of the earth-quake zones out west too.
I mean, sure, the views are nice, but - at what and at whose cost?
Ok, I don't think you guys are thinking this through. Most (not all) but most of the homes that are now getting regularly flooded (not occasionally as a result of a natural disaster, but every time it rains heavy because of over-building) surely were not built when the river flooded as it does nowadays. If they did, your points would be well suited. But many of the homes in and around DP flood now because of extensive building upstream and around the entire river valley (so to speak, near the river). I do not think that you can really argue that building in New Orleans is the same as having built 50 years ago near the DP River?! You are not comparing apples to apples. The homes near the DP River were built when it did not flood due to excessive runoff (rainwater that does not have any other place to go than the river due to over-building in the area).

So frankly, I would agree that to 'bail out' people who choose to live near an area prone to experience natural disasters is wrong, but so is denying aid to those who are effected by the actions of other (builders upstream) who have been approved of by government (you and I) and are now experiencing extreme financial ruin because of the actions of others and the government.

No, I don't live near the river. I would never have bought over there because I have known of the extreme flooding that occurs regularly. But I am sympathetic to those who have lived there far longer than the regular flooding that now occurs as a direct result of over-building.
frank

Des Plaines, IL

#14 Jan 4, 2009
Sew Your Pockets Closed wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. Idiots who build on flood plains deserve to get soaked, but, not those who weren't so dumb.
The flood plains have changed dramatically over the past twenty to thirty years, long after most any home was built that now lies in the current flood plain. Expansion/development has had a dramatic impact on the area, and this is no fault of those who live near the river.
RU4real

Altamonte Springs, FL

#15 Jan 4, 2009
A very sad situation for all folks affected by the flooding.
nihad

Chicago, IL

#16 Dec 18, 2012
i am looking to buy a house in DP and i am really worried about the flood factor. why i it that i cant find a map of any sort that indicateswhere exactly are the flood areas, if any one knows plz email me plzzz.
ibrahimagic@sbcglobal.net

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min No Surprize 1,101,921
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 8 min loose cannon 177,540
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 14 min litesong 46,386
ISIS Plans to Blow Up an Entire American City a... 21 min Lawrence Wolf 66
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 31 min KiMare 49,518
ruth ann hall's son 53 min EYES EVERWHERE 1
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr Rick Moss 69,094
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 4 hr RACE 97,985
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info