Chase to close 57 WaMu branches here

Chase to close 57 WaMu branches here

There are 65 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jan 19, 2009, titled Chase to close 57 WaMu branches here. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

JPMorgan Chase plans to close 57 Washington Mutual branches in the Chicago area by March 24 as part of its recent acquisition of the failed thrift that has 117 branches here.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Globalist Agenda

United States

#1 Jan 19, 2009
The bank that gave commercial real estate a shot in the Arm here in Chicago must now be consolidated.

Paper money is the cause.
Droncz92

Hartford, CT

#2 Jan 19, 2009
Good WaMu sucks.
War on Bikes

United States

#3 Jan 19, 2009
Why did they ever change their name to WaMu? Stupid.
James

United States

#4 Jan 19, 2009
I wish they would forget about my credit card debt but I don't think that will happen anytime soon.

Pitty, because it's not that much
Jack the Lad

Chicago, IL

#5 Jan 19, 2009
WaMu was great.

Time to switch to Bank of America...
Ken

Wayne, IL

#6 Jan 19, 2009
I'm a Washington Mutual customer, and I could see this coming long before the banking turmoil.

WaMu migrated to this area from Seattle, and never took the time to survey the demographics in play here.

Most of the branches are constructed for pedestrian access, and have no drive-thru's.

This is typical of the urban philosophy to customer service, but totally detrimental to servicing suburban customers.

Whenever I went into one of their lobby's I would invariably reply, when asked if I needed something else, that I needed a drive thru.

I would bet that the branches to be closed have nothing to do with productivity, but drive-thru access and proximity to other Chase locations.

What a total waste of resources by the former operators of this institution.

As they say on AOL, GOOD-BYE!
Gambler

Buffalo Grove, IL

#7 Jan 19, 2009
I'm glad I never opened an account with WaMu. It was tempting since they seemed to really be about customer service. Boy, if that was the case, will their customers be in for a shock when Chase takes over and they see what passes for "customer service" under that bank.

I bank with small, neighborhood banks where people actually know what they're doing, rather than these corporate banks that are staffed by incompetent know-nothings that can't sustain their businesses without ripping off their customers and begging for a government handout. Chase, and all the other corporate mega-banks should be broken up, as the recent bank failures, as well as the "need" for a bailout to protect our economy, have proven that mega-size corporate banks are, by their very existance, bad for not just the country, but the entire world.

Find a good neighborhood bank to do business with rather than these "Wal-Mart banks" that are run by people who don't know how to do their jobs well.
no surprise

Dundee, IL

#8 Jan 19, 2009
Most of those banks probably are new buildings that opened in the last 3 years. Why any bank kept building or opening new branches always amazed me.
Angry WaMoolian

United States

#9 Jan 19, 2009
Why shut down the WaMu branch at Addison and Southport? Best customer service, great location...First time I've ever actually looked forward to going to the bank! Yes, there's a redundant Chase nearby but it's less accessible and less friendly. Shut the Chase, rebrand the great WaMu.
Jeff

Evanston, IL

#10 Jan 19, 2009
Wow, 57 branches closing? That means there will only be 3 branches per city block from now on.
Incomplete Article

Chicago, IL

#11 Jan 19, 2009
It would of been helpful if the author also listed WHICH are the branches to be closed?!@#
The Polish Prince

Houston, TX

#12 Jan 19, 2009
Something is not right with big banks like Chase. Media blares that Americans don't save. Friday Chase lowered the One Year CD to 1.75% yet interest on credit cards goes from 15% to 30%. Chase buys a loser like WaMu, gets some TARP money and starts closing WaMu Branches no need to pay back TARP money for 5 years. Chase has no need for Savers when they have the Federal Reserve. Bring back Usuary laws and cap them like they used to be prior to 1980 at 12%. Cancel deadbeats credit cards and eliminate mass mailings of them. Take the credit card companies off college campuses and their kickbacks to the Institutions. Save for College or join the Military. Night School works too.
Big Deal

Alsip, IL

#13 Jan 19, 2009
My goodness. Its bad enough that I had to walk an entire block to get my Venti caramel machiatto and scone. Now I have to walk another block to get to the ATM? Geez life is sometimes unfair. Lets just hope Chipotle doesn't close down shops otherwise Ill be forced to bring my own lunch.... THE HUMANITY..
Disgusted

Calumet City, IL

#14 Jan 19, 2009
The inconsiderate slobs! Some people might have to walk TWO blocks to Chase, rather than the one block to WaMU, that by summer won't even be WaMu. Oh, the humanity!
bob in Chicago

Alsip, IL

#15 Jan 19, 2009
Big Deal wrote:
My goodness. Its bad enough that I had to walk an entire block to get my Venti caramel machiatto and scone. Now I have to walk another block to get to the ATM? Geez life is sometimes unfair. Lets just hope Chipotle doesn't close down shops otherwise Ill be forced to bring my own lunch.... THE HUMANITY..
Don't forget Walgreens.....I think their philosiphy is to have NO Walgreens story out of eyesight of another Walgreens store.

Now that I'm heading into my twilight year (50+) it's nice to know that i won't have to walk or drive more then half a mile to get to a Walgreens !!!!
pjr

Germany

#16 Jan 19, 2009
Globalist Agenda wrote:
Paper money is the cause.
Yes, but that is far too frightening to consider.

Instead, its this or that party; this or that policy. Never the thing that requires courage to face.
Pete

Chicago, IL

#17 Jan 19, 2009
I knew the bank-branch-bubble would be popping soon. Why did banks build more and more branch locations at a time when fewer people than ever need to use them? The last time I went to a bank teller window was when I opened my account, about 7 years ago. It's hardly ever necessary anymore with ATMs and online banking.

Since: Sep 07

Carol Stream

#18 Jan 19, 2009
Jack the Lad wrote:
WaMu was great.
Time to switch to Bank of America...
I highly suggest departing the bank system entirely, and joining your local credit union. They tend to have tighter standards and a more conservative approach to banking services.

I closed my account and switched to WaMu from Chase after I received a few too many aggressive sales phone calls from India to refinance my home equity loan. I will again be closing my Chase account very shortly, and am running my day-to-day banking at the DuPage Credit Union.

The only phone calls I've received from DuPage Credit Union are periodic phone calls asking if I'm satisfied with the level of service they're providing me. Imagine that!
Shipwreck

Monticello, AR

#19 Jan 19, 2009
Da da da da da Hey! Hey! Good Bye.
Jane

United States

#20 Jan 19, 2009
I think a list of the 57 branches closing would be a nice 'add on' to the article, but that's just me. Or maybe it is on some sites and not others since one poster above mentioned a specific branch closing.

and to Shipwreck: it's 'nah, nah, nah, nah' not 'da,da,da,da,da.'

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min RoxLo 1,681,340
UN Troops? 22 min 2thapoint 7
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 1 hr texas pete 11,729
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr Chicagoan by Birth 243,219
Trump Budget Cuts Veterans pay two Thirds All S... 4 hr Rambos 2
The girl I'm interested in can't speak English.... 4 hr sweetLover123 1
Phantom of the Oprah. 7 hr WhatWouldJesusDo 12

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages