Federal Trade Commission's plan to change rules on ad endorseme...

Consumers lured by advertisements promising rock-hard abs, sparkling white teeth and bulging bank accounts soon may get a reality check. Full Story
First Prev
of 9
Next Last
jason steele

Elgin, IL

#167 Mar 20, 2009
Ken wrote:
It's about time!
We all know EXTENZ don't make men bigger down there. And their claims that a pill will grow a mans penis is nothing short of FRAUD!
Then there's the bowflex dude, who didn't get that body from working on a pulley machine.
Aout time they clamped down on these blatant lies!
The Bowflex can get those results! The bigger johnson thing I wouldn't know...don't need it;)
Bruce

Chicago, IL

#168 Mar 20, 2009
There is one way to lose weight without diet or exercise. It's called-disease.
bobo

Elmwood Park, IL

#169 Mar 20, 2009
The govt. getting involved again.....umm, don't they have better things to worry about. I know alot of fat americans that lost weight on their "Subway" diet. Stop worrying about rules for Subway, and start worrying about rules for Bailout $

Since: Jan 09

Gurnee, IL

#170 Mar 20, 2009
More meddling in the private affairs of so-called "free citizens" by an over-reaching nanny state. Don't you realize, Amerikans, that you're too stupid to think for yourselves, so your brilliant bureaucrats must do your thinking for you.

Since: Jan 09

Gurnee, IL

#171 Mar 20, 2009
bobo wrote:
The govt. getting involved again.....umm, don't they have better things to worry about. I know alot of fat americans that lost weight on their "Subway" diet. Stop worrying about rules for Subway, and start worrying about rules for Bailout $
What do you think the pigs are trying to distract us from?
Tony T Bone

Lincoln, IL

#172 Mar 20, 2009
jason steele wrote:
<quoted text>The Bowflex can get those results! The bigger johnson thing I wouldn't know...don't need it;)
Wow you must be hung well.Why do you not have women lined up tonight?Just asking?
Your Creator

Chicago, IL

#173 Mar 20, 2009
Ken wrote:
It's about time!
We all know EXTENZ don't make men bigger down there. And their claims that a pill will grow a mans penis is nothing short of FRAUD!
Then there's the bowflex dude, who didn't get that body from working on a pulley machine.
Aout time they clamped down on these blatant lies!
So if we all know it, why do we need government bureaucrats to babysit us?
Your Creator

Chicago, IL

#175 Mar 20, 2009
FatNSassy wrote:
Good! Advertising should reflect reality. Our population is too dumbed down for critical thinking skills.
You're a great case in point. Apparently, the solution to a lack of critical thinking skills is to have government bureaucrats do out thinking for us. That oughtta shoot the nation's aggregate critical thinking skills right through the roof!
lago

Chicago, IL

#177 Mar 21, 2009
Ken wrote:
It's about time!
We all know EXTENZ don't make men bigger down there.
C'mon even the actor in the commercial acts looks and sounds like a snake oil salesman. I actually find the commercial hilarious… and a little creepy.
SharonD

Saint Charles, IL

#178 Mar 21, 2009
Bruce wrote:
There is one way to lose weight without diet or exercise. It's called-disease.
Bruce Wins!!!! Most lucid post on this board!

Death and decomp will work, too.
Hmm

Oak Park, IL

#179 Mar 22, 2009
John wrote:
I am in advertising and I use a lot of testimonials.
This ruling doesn't bother me in the slightest. That's because I use testimonials that state exactly what happens. I don't allow my clients to make exaggerated claims... if they want to do that they can go somewhere else.
Anyone who lies or exaggerates in their commercials deserves to get in trouble. If you have to lie or exaggerate your products benefits then you shouldn't sell them. And the public deserves to see you go under.
The new rule would affect you too. It would not be enough to say this X really happened to someone, you would need to say that X is the typical result. So, if you have so and so saying he lost 50 pounds eating your sandwiches and exercising an hour a day, you couldn't say that, even though its true, because that would not be a typical outcome. That is the problem with the rule.
XSam

Detroit, MI

#180 Mar 22, 2009
This seems like a pretty horrible idea. I mean come on. Does anybody really expect to lose 50 whatever pounds in a couple months?
Consumers assume advertisements are a hyperbole nowadays. So if you show mid-level results, they expect none. Even if the mid-level results are truly the best a product can offer. Pretty much companies willing to stomach the risk or fly under the radar will just push everyone else out of business. I know it sucks, but it is how it is.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min harmonious 1,125,411
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 38 min KiMare 50,603
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 41 min Frijoles 70,022
$15/hr. for fast food employees..... 44 min joey 2
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 hr Grau 68,643
Lou Holtz nails it! 2 hr GiveLouAShot 13
A General's Point of View. 3 hr Gen_Geo Parton 2
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 6 hr Learn to Read 179,283
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]