Federal Trade Commission's plan to ch...

Federal Trade Commission's plan to change rules on ad endorseme...

There are 172 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Mar 19, 2009, titled Federal Trade Commission's plan to change rules on ad endorseme.... In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Consumers lured by advertisements promising rock-hard abs, sparkling white teeth and bulging bank accounts soon may get a reality check.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Ken

Naperville, IL

#1 Mar 19, 2009
It's about time!

We all know EXTENZ don't make men bigger down there. And their claims that a pill will grow a mans penis is nothing short of FRAUD!

Then there's the bowflex dude, who didn't get that body from working on a pulley machine.

Aout time they clamped down on these blatant lies!
Mario

Antioch, IL

#2 Mar 20, 2009
You cant protect people from being stupid. I remember the old mantra of buyer beware or if it sounds to be good to be true it probably is.

Since: Feb 09

St. Louis, Chicago current

#3 Mar 20, 2009
I can already see the fun new commercials for Bowflex "I got these rock-hard abs by working out and USING my Bowflex." Enter guy number 2 (disheveled, overweight, and possibly high) "I bought the Bowflex and set it up in the basement where I only go for more beer. I'm the average guy so I gained 20 pounds. Sounds like a moronic intrusion easily handled by a good advertising firm.
Don BB

Fort Wayne, IN

#4 Mar 20, 2009
As always the government assumes the average citizen is too stupid to see past exagerated advertising and needs to be protected. There will always be people who want to buy the 'snake oil' no matter how many disclaimers you put on the product. Let's concentrate on the important things like having all skiers wear helmets.
Randy

Carol Stream, IL

#5 Mar 20, 2009
Don BB wrote:
As always the government assumes the average citizen is too stupid to see past exagerated advertising and needs to be protected. There will always be people who want to buy the 'snake oil' no matter how many disclaimers you put on the product. Let's concentrate on the important things like having all skiers wear helmets.
The AVERAGE citizen IS too stupid to do just THAT !
Lincoln Sq Parent

Chicago, IL

#6 Mar 20, 2009
About time... hopefully this will stop those stupid kinoki footpad type commercials.

Since: Feb 09

St. Louis, Chicago current

#7 Mar 20, 2009
Lincoln Sq Parent wrote:
About time... hopefully this will stop those stupid kinoki footpad type commercials.
You don't understand, it employs ancient oriental secret of taking toxins out of your feet, like trees!
NAFSBUC

Chicago, IL

#8 Mar 20, 2009
Oh and remember, your FREE credit report is not FREE.
I am sorry, I am tired of being exposed to these lies and they really do prey on the unsophisticated folks who think that if they saw it advertised that it must be true because they believe that the govt protects them.
If anyone could stop the fix your mortgage, tax problems and credit score scams they would get my vote.
Tell the ad guys to figure out how to tell us the truth and we will actually begin to trust rather than ignore advertising.
Just an American

New Port Richey, FL

#9 Mar 20, 2009
Charles H wrote:
<quoted text> You don't understand, it employs ancient oriental secret of taking toxins out of your feet, like trees!
Oh thank you, I so needed a really good laugh this morning! Too funny!
Hmm

Oak Park, IL

#10 Mar 20, 2009
This makes no sense. Advertising is all puffery, and this law would essentially do away with puffery. And how are the advertisers going to figure out what a typical outcome is? Are they going to have to perform studies to figure out what is typical? Will Subway have to do a double blind study of 1000 people exercising and eating subs to determine what the mean weight loss is? Quite frankly, that is stupid. People know that results vary and that advertisers will try and make their product better than it really is. People who don't understand that are stupid.
FYI

Merrillville, IN

#12 Mar 20, 2009
The Jared ad was "Born in Chicago"
and Kept alot of people in Chicago Working.
FatNSassy

Chicago, IL

#13 Mar 20, 2009
Good! Advertising should reflect reality. Our population is too dumbed down for critical thinking skills.

p.s. I find Subway's commercials very offensive. Jared was always a bore, but their new line attacking the natural curves of the fat body are downright obnoxious. Many of us are boycotting them because of it!
middleclassguy

Bloomington, IN

#14 Mar 20, 2009
Well, this is just the beginning. Soon the government will run everything. Tass here we come.
thingy

El Paso, TX

#15 Mar 20, 2009
The traveling medicine show still continues. It just uses a different venue to bring (sucker) people in to buy their one of a kind miracle. If people want to believe a product will enhance their life. whatever.

Since: Nov 08

Oil City, PA

#16 Mar 20, 2009
If we never saw Jared again it would be too soon for many of us.

Beyond his weight loss he appears to be the most boring human alive.
NoConservativePr opaganda

Chicago, IL

#17 Mar 20, 2009
"aspirational"?

Smells like bs.
John Q Public

Bowling Green, SC

#18 Mar 20, 2009
OMG. Truth in advertising. What is becoming of this world?
All I can say is that it's about time somebody did this. Commercials are so misleading I hesitate to but the product.
Now maybe the hucksters like the Sham-Wow abrasive jerk and ole Billy will go off the air.
juvi

Palo Alto, CA

#19 Mar 20, 2009
Don BB wrote:
I agree, but there must be enough stupid people to keep these firms in business. Even after studies prove time and time again, weight loss = calories in - calories burned, people keep buying and falling for the miracle pill/device.
Charles

San Francisco, CA

#20 Mar 20, 2009
John Q Public wrote:
OMG. Truth in advertising. What is becoming of this world?
All I can say is that it's about time somebody did this. Commercials are so misleading I hesitate to but the product.
Now maybe the hucksters like the Sham-Wow abrasive jerk and ole Billy will go off the air.
You can't get rid of Billy Mays, who else is going to shout at me at 5 A.M. to buy the Big City Sliders maker and create the Billy Burger.
Edward de Vere

United States

#21 Mar 20, 2009
FYI wrote:
The Jared ad was "Born in Chicago"
and Kept alot of people in Chicago Working.
Really? Where's Hal now?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 9 min Incognito4Ever 1,274,447
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 22 min Dr Guru 196,848
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr IB DaMann 54,488
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 6 hr Doug77 6,395
abby8-27-15 7 hr Sublime1 14
ask amy 8-27 8 hr PEllen 7
The Amazing Cashew 9 hr OH Im NUTS 1
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 14 hr RACE 100,626
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages